So What Are You Breeding Right Now? Trading Chat Thread Thingy.

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IST (GMT+5:30)
IGN
Gargee
I'm trying to Masuda Method the heck out of a Moon Ball HA Eevee to get my first Shiny! @Vaporeon has a Shiny Umbreon and now I want one too. :P 160+ eggs and no luck, though, however, I did hatch two 6IV boys who will be used for Field breeding so yay!

Currently breeding for Drizzle Pelipper, I've got an idea for a mono Water, Rain team using Lightning Rod Seaking to reduce the Electric weakness, a Shiny Physical Kingdra and a Weakness Policy Tentacruel...
Ooh nice. Good luck! Shiny Kingdra looks so cool. I just wish Pelipper weren't so frail.

Also, could you explain how a Weakness Policy Tentacruel works? Never seen a Policy set in action before. :P

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Bulldoze

Tentacruel @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Basically you hit your teammate with a super effective move, and Weakness Policy activates, giving +2 Attack and +2 Special Attack.

With Dynamax, it becomes a lot, lot safer to trigger it. There's lots of combos with it, the most popular two are Surf Dragapult and Steam Engine Gigantamax Coalossal, and Quick Attack Pixelate Sylveon and Dragapult. Both are blazingly quick and almost guarantee a kill turn 1.

I'm taking it one step further, and using Bulldoze Politoed to set the weather, hit Tentacruel with a piddly weak Bulldoze, and slow everything down one stage.

But because of Clear Body, Tentacruel's decent Speed isn't reduced. He then he outruns pretty much everything and eats stuff alive. And unlike Coalossal, he's going to have Rain up boosting those Max Geysers from turn 1, and Max Ooze to further boost his Special Attack. Giga Drain nails Gastrodon, which is often a Rain counter.

That's the theory anyway :).

[EDIT] - I've never tried to get a shiny, all mine are either luck (my Bulbasaur with Overgrow, not Chlorophyll :(), hacked MAX Raid seeds (Lapras, Kingdra) or obviously hacked from Surprise Trades advertising their "services..."

How difficult is it?

Last edited:

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
How have I gone from having no Ice Pokémon to having four Sneasels and Weaviles fully EV trained and ready to battle?

And now I am poor D:

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Bulldoze

Tentacruel @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Basically you hit your teammate with a super effective move, and Weakness Policy activates, giving +2 Attack and +2 Special Attack.

With Dynamax, it becomes a lot, lot safer to trigger it. There's lots of combos with it, the most popular two are Surf Dragapult and Steam Engine Gigantamax Coalossal, and Quick Attack Pixelate Sylveon and Dragapult. Both are blazingly quick and almost guarantee a kill turn 1.

I'm taking it one step further, and using Bulldoze Politoed to set the weather, hit Tentacruel with a piddly weak Bulldoze, and slow everything down one stage.

But because of Clear Body, Tentacruel's decent Speed isn't reduced. He then he outruns pretty much everything and eats stuff alive. And unlike Coalossal, he's going to have Rain up boosting those Max Geysers from turn 1, and Max Ooze to further boost his Special Attack. Giga Drain nails Gastrodon, which is often a Rain counter.

That's the theory anyway :).

[EDIT] - I've never tried to get a shiny, all mine are either luck (my Bulbasaur with Overgrow, not Chlorophyll :(), hacked MAX Raid seeds (Lapras, Kingdra) or obviously hacked from Surprise Trades advertising their "services..."

How difficult is it?
Okay wow. It's wild to me how SO MUCH THOUGHT goes into competitive battling. Do you guys have to factor in almost every possible moveset on every possible opposing Pokémon before building a team? Looks like I should do a lot of Showdown watching before I even try building a team, and take notes and stuff. :P That said, what you explained makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Does Politoed also have 0 Attack IV? Wondering how the Bulldoze is piddly weak on Tentacruel considering that it's supereffective on it.

As for whether Shiny breeding is difficult or not, I wouldn't know. :P I just hatched 550 Eevee eggs and still no Shiny. On the other hand, when I played Moon, I hatched a Shiny Litten pretty early and WITHOUT a Masuda Ditto or a Shiny Charm so... it all depends on RNGesus' mood I guess. :P That sucks about Shiny Bulba not having Chlorophyll. :(

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
There's a rumour that in Crown Tundra, you will be able to tutor Hidden Abilities, I'm holding out for that.

As for competitive battling, experience teaches a lot. Relax, just find a team and get playing! Showdown is easiest, but lots of people post their poke pastes or rental teams, so it would be a good starting point.

Experience will teach you to look for certain things, and try and get into the head of the opponent. Sneasel, for example, isn't a great Pokémon, but weirdly enough it gets Inner Focus and Surf,and so makes for a great support for Coalossal (hence why I've bred them :)) and I've only learnt that from watching other people and using their teams.

Every new set or combo started out as a gimmick and evolved from there. I'm enjoying VGC because so many gimmicks can exist, and it really challenges your brain to get your strategy off before your opponent, and adapt on the fly. I'm good at that, so I'm hoping to be able to climb the ladder if I have a half decent team :D.

If you need any help, just give us a shout. Pokémon is Pokémon, I might be a bit rusty at Smogons metagames but there's general stuff which will help.

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I've been busy this weekend, I've bred:

- Krookodile
- Runergrigus
- Cofagrigus (had to settle for a Timid 5 IV one after 70 eggs, just could not be bothered XD)
- Kangaskhan
- Clefairy
- Rolycoly (Wanted a faster EV spread Coalossal, will probably have to settle for another 5 IV)
- Tsareena

Next on my list is Primarina, but might try and get a Chansey with Seismic Toss.

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Wondering how the Bulldoze is piddly weak on Tentacruel considering that it's supereffective on it.
Figured this out within minutes of asking. I can literally be so stupid at times. Do I have enough brain cells for competitive? Let's find out on the next episode! :P

There's a rumour that in Crown Tundra, you will be able to tutor Hidden Abilities, I'm holding out for that.

As for competitive battling, experience teaches a lot. Relax, just find a team and get playing! Showdown is easiest, but lots of people post their poke pastes or rental teams, so it would be a good starting point.

Experience will teach you to look for certain things, and try and get into the head of the opponent. Sneasel, for example, isn't a great Pokémon, but weirdly enough it gets Inner Focus and Surf,and so makes for a great support for Coalossal (hence why I've bred them :)) and I've only learnt that from watching other people and using their teams.

Every new set or combo started out as a gimmick and evolved from there. I'm enjoying VGC because so many gimmicks can exist, and it really challenges your brain to get your strategy off before your opponent, and adapt on the fly. I'm good at that, so I'm hoping to be able to climb the ladder if I have a half decent team :D.

If you need any help, just give us a shout. Pokémon is Pokémon, I might be a bit rusty at Smogons metagames but there's general stuff which will help.
As luck would have it, I took a little break from Masuda Methoding the Eevee to breed egg moves on my Friend Ball Bulbasaur, and now I have a Shiny Bulba with Chlorophyll and a Timid Nature. I hate RNGesus.

That's a great idea that works for me, I'll look into rental teams. Thank you!

Ooh that is an interesting way to use Sneasel. I used to use Weavile in Gen4 'cause of how fast it was, and now almost everything outspeeds it, so I miss that. I'm assuming you can't use Weavile with Coalossal because it doesn't have Inner Focus? I might try this combo out just to play with Sneasel! (I hope that's not cheating.)

That sounds tough. I'm notoriously prone to abandoning strategy to the wind in favor of simple offense (even in chess lol) so I'm gonna have to work on that. Meanwhile, good luck to you! :D

As of now I'm only interested in VGC, Smogon is a thing of the past for me. :P Thank you, I'll probably have a lot of questions haha.

---

As for what I bred:
1100+ Moon Ball Eevee eggs (Masuda Method is a scam lol)
300+ Fast Ball Shinx eggs
Around 90 Friend Ball Bulbasaur eggs

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Actually Weavile is one of the fastest now, thanks to Dragapult being removed.

...He's outrun by Scarf Dracovish though, but I don't think Weavile has any business going against Dracovish.

And ask away! :D.

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
After breeding someone a 6 IV Pikachu, I'm now breeding Klefki. How this tiny thing breeds with Coalossal I don't know.

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
I am currently working on breeding a shiny Zorua not had any luck yet with it though

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I am currently working on breeding a shiny Zorua not had any luck yet with it though
Will admit, both Zorua and Zoroark shinies look good. Good luck getting them! How many eggs are you up to?

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Bred a 6 IV Ludicolo, an Adamant Arcanine and now I'm breeding Durant. Feeling like a Dragon is needed to round out this team...

[EDIT - Got a 6 IV Durant in the second egg from two 4 IV Pokémon... Lucky!]

Last edited: