Spaceship Marriland crashes on a Rimworld...

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT

So a couple of weeks ago I mentioned in the Discord that I thought it'd be pretty fun if I were to play through a normal scenario while all the colonists take on the names of Marriland members. For those who don't know what Rimworld is, it's a colony sim that's set in the distant future. You play as crashed survivors trying to scrape together an existence, to either prosper into a permanent resident of the planet, or try to tech your way up to building a rocket out of there. The great thing about this game is the sheer level of detail and variability. While you can order your colonists to get on with various jobs, how they interact with each other, and the events that affect them are all random, out of your control and are just things you have to deal with on the fly. I remember a while back on the old Fourplay forums, Mark did a similar thing with this but on the Sims, so that's the main inspiration for this. I've gotten a few volunteers already, but we'll always need new names as we get more colonists in future!

For this project I intend to post an update 1-3 times a week, depending on my free time and desire to play. Update posts will contain some write-up along with screenshots for major events. Before we get started though, there's a few important things that we need. Firstly, our three starting colonists, then our five reserve colonists, and then lastly names for both the faction and our starting settlement. Marriland users will enter the world in order of interest posts, but if we run out at any point then I'll start selecting forum names at random. If/when you do post your interest in being part of this, please state your preferred gender as the characters only fit into male or female. There is no purpose to this in the game beyond the romantic interests of the characters. It should be mentioned that since character preferences and social dynamics are out of my control, I cannot be held responsible for any accidental romantic (or abusive) relationships that occur in the game as a result of anyone's decision to participate.

As for the faction and settlement names, I encourage anyone to make suggestions, and I'll pick my favourite after a couple have been put forward. If we end up with multiple settlements, then I'll take my next favourite after the first. Also, it would be great to hear if people have a preferred starting biome. Take a look at the graph. I'll ban anything to the right of and including desert, just because they'll be way too hard. Especially if we want this to be an extended project.

With that said, I hope enough folk find this interesting! I'll put up the first update once we get a few volunteers!

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Yeah, sure, seems interesting enough, sign me up (gender: male, obviously).

Faction/Settlement names: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Starting Biome: Sea Ice Boreal Forest

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Definitely interested. So sign me up as well. Gender: Male.

Faction/Settlement names: I'm not too creative so "New Marriland" is the best I can come up with atm.

Starting Biome: I'll vote for Tropical Rainforest.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Agrees to crash land on an unfamiliar planet.

Gender: Female. Evens the ratio. Typically models avatars after Yin for forum things anyways.
Faction/Settlement Name: Johto. Introduced Marill. Creates an easy naming theme for any future settlements.
Starting Biome: Boreal Forest. Knew nothing about the game before today. Chose the middle of the three forests.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Sure sign me the hell up my dude I want to be a survivor and probably die within the first 10 days. I would put money on that.
Settlement Name: Marrimworld. Because I'm a genius like that
Starting Biome: I'm gonna go with the one that sounds like a place I would slumber for 1000 years undisturbed by humanity. Cold Bog.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
Thanks for the interest! It's worth mentioning that the faction name is different from the settlement name. The faction is what banner everyone will be under, but the settlement is just for the current colony being built at the time. They need separate names. Just figured I'd mention it since there seems to be some confusion at the moment.

EDIT: If people are fine with just submitting a single thing then I'll just pick something among the current suggestions that fits best.

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I'll volunteer as well! As for the starting biome, I'll vote for Cold Bog. Who wouldn't want to live there?

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Faction name: Team Rainbow Rocket. Or Team RR for short.