Springtime of Autumnfire

Jiaozi

Inactive

Five years ago, the Demon Lord declared war on the Azure Kingdom. The king responded by not giving a response at all, effectively challenging the Demon Lord to do his worst. Soldiers and mages across the nation prepared for the inevitable, but the inevitable never arrived.

In all honesty, not much has changed since then. Monster attacks have increased, but as a result, business for guilds has never been better!

We turn our attention to Holliville, a small town with big ambitions. Our protagonists are members of Autumnfire, a recently established guild that has gained a certain notoriety for their success despite being a newcomer to the scene. In the past year, Autumnfire’s ranking leapt from eighteenth to fourth in what most would describe as a miracle and what the guild members proudly attribute to their amazing talents. Either way, it’s undeniable that Autumnfire’s recent publicity has lead to a surge of new recruits!

This tale concerns a certain group of adventurers from Autumnfire, all of whom determined to leave their mark on this world even if they didn’t exactly know how.
Join the adventure!

Optional reading for the rules of this universe!

I actually removed [genre] because I didn't want to overload ppl with too much information, but the genre is something like Medieval fantasy/high fantasy.
Themes
Themes are rare supernatural abilities an individual can possess. Although the exact science is not well understood, themes are somehow related to an individual’s genetics. Most theme users only have one theme, but on rare occasions, an individual can possess two themes.

Ability Ranking
The first time an individual is ranked, they have to take Wizard Standardized Ability Test, where the individual must present whatever they can to a panel of judges who will give the individual an initial ranking. All subsequent ranking changes are given by certified guildmasters.

Ranks include D, C, B, A, and S. Most mages are initially ranked C. If the individual fails to show any ability, the judges will give a D rank.

Resistance
Resistance acts as a passive, invisible barrier around the user that scales as a function of the user’s capability for magic. Consequently, resistance weakens as the user weakens. Resistance users can imbue resistance into almost any object to create stronger weapons. I heard you can even imbue resistance in arrows! *Note that I forgot to add earlier: this is a little bizarre, but everyone has the capability to have resistance even if they do not have a theme. If that doesn't make sense, lmk

Skysteel
Skysteel is an extremely hard material that is rare to the point almost all skysteel have been found as loot within dungeons or treasures left behind in ruins. The most important aspect of skysteel is that the material negates magic and resistance, making it a highly effective tool in combat and in capturing criminals. Additionally, you cannot imbue resistance into skysteel. The amount it negates is proportional to the magic ability of the target. For most, skysteel effectively completely negates resistances.
Skysteel, as the name may suggest, is a light blue metal. It’d make for a beautiful necklace if you didn’t lose your magic the instant it touched you!

Example:
Suppose you have great magical power! How wonderful! As such, you have high resistance. If I were to strike you with a sword with no resistance, perhaps you would not feel much pain at all. If I were to imbue resistance in the sword, you would feel pain relative to how much resistance I have (higher resistance equals more pain). If I were to strike you with a skysteel sword, it would hurt as much as if I cut a normal human being with a slightly blunt sword, which is to say, a lot.

✜ Sixth Sense ✜
On rare occasions, certain individuals possess a theme commonly referred to as the “Sixth Sense.” Approximately 1-2% of individuals have this ability, and the correlation between having this sense and having a theme is zero. Sixth sense users are able to sense relatively magic around them passively. Additionally, these individuals will be able to gauge the magic potency of objects and people in their peripheral vision.
To conceptualize this ability, sixth sense users have compared sensing magic to seeing light. The “brighter” someone is, the more magic they exude. The explanation above isn’t completely comprehensive: the real reason for this @kat is because they're able to sense resistance. Your resistance "flavor" is different if you have a theme.
Campfire

Last edited:

Jiaozi

Inactive
✜ All Marriland rules and RP rules apply.
✜ There are no length requirements to the forms, but I will be strictly reviewing them.
✜ Apps must be posted in the Campfire. PM me with any questions!
✜ You are allowed to try again if the form is pending but not if the form is denied. [There was a sentence here that didn't make any sense]
✜ Forms will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. I will accept at most three people excluding myself.
✜ I reserve the right to accept/deny for any reason I see fit.
✜ Post at least once every few days, please. Most people have 15 minutes a day to spare.
✜ Your character is not a new recruit to the guild. As a recommendation, they should be around B-rank and have joined the guild between a month to a year ago.
✜ I do not recommend you have two themes unless you’ve got a good reason for it. Don’t add abilities to your characters just for the sake of it!
✜ Once the group is arranged, I’ll host a general meeting to address some things. I tried to keep what I can short, but I do have quite a bit planned out.

AUTHOR’S NOTE:
For this project, I’ve tried my best to cut down from useless crap and just convey what I feel like is absolutely necessary. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything related to further exposition, I’ll be happy to provide it. This project has a lot of planning going on behind the scenes, so I’m sure I can answer any question you have!

For those thinking of applying, keep the application short and sweet, alright? I want to make this RP easy to apply for, so there’s no need to make everything absolutely beautiful and perfect and extravagant. I just want to know what character you’re cooking up! I will be accepting and denying on how well I think your character would fit into the party; don’t be that guy who makes the super edgy character.

If you’ve joined the party, I will do my absolute best to make sure this will be a fun experience for you. I’ve given a lot of thought to how I want this to progress and how this will be paced, but above all else, I want to make sure that you’re feeling comfortable with what you have to do.

With that being said, please consider applying :)

Name: Name!

Appearance: Picture not necessary but encouraged!
Personality: Remember to not contradict yourself!

Brief Bio: Unless you really have an idea on what you want your character to be like, keep the brief bio brief. I want to work with you about backstory if your character is accepted.

Theme: You’re only limited by your creativity! Please include a description of what you can do as well!
Weapons/Equipment: Weapons or equipment! Put "N/A" if not applicable!

Other/Text Color: Anything else? Text color is recommended!

Last edited:

Jiaozi

Inactive
✜ Current Arc ✜
Investigate the mysterious ship!​

Relevant information:

Irrelevant information:

Vim's Inn is one of the larger buildings in town.

Last edited:

Jiaozi

Inactive
Why.
Ezra kept his complaints to himself as the party neared the town in the distance. He absolutely hated the cold and never understood how people could tolerate living in this climate.
How did they get into this situation again? Ah right…

The whole guild was in for a rude awakening earlier today. Everything seemed normal for the first three minutes after waking up, but Ezra was promptly alerted of really bad news really quickly. Apparently, some jokers decided to break into Holliville’s bank vault, vandalize the wall with their symbol, and run off in the dead of the night. The real punchline, however, was that apparently no one recognized where the mark came from: clearly, the thieves weren’t well known enough to be recognizable.

Everything seemed so surreal that Ezra did not fully take in the guildmaster telling the various adventure parties their response. Such a blatant declaration of war must be met with a response! The guildmaster declared an emergency assignment for all B-rank+ parties; each party was to go out and investigate all the shifty locations that the thieves could have travelled to within a day.

The guildmaster held out a cup of sticks with different towns they needed to investigate. Before Ezra had a chance to stop him, Martin had rushed up and promptly drawn Spruce Town. Ezra prided himself in his love of exploration, but running up to a small, cold settlement seemed what he would call ****ing awful.

As the group marched forth, Ezra reminded himself never to let Martin roll dice for the group. What an absolute nightmare that would be. He had grabbed a poster for a yeti kill quest near the settlement. If the party was going to die freezing, at least they could make some money while doing so.

Upon entering the town, Ezra took the immediate opportunity to lead the group straight into an inn. No objections were had. Pushing the door to the inn open, Ezra breathed a sigh of relief as warm air struck his face.

The inn is a loud, rowdy place. At the counter, two roughnecks were engaged in a heated argument. A quiet, hooded man sat by himself a few seats away from the duo. There were a few empty tables and a few tables with folks already at them.
The sun was just beginning to set. Ezra mentions that he wants to get some rooms to stay the night and that the group should find a place to sit down for the time being.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Martin smiled as he walked into the inn. The trip to Spruce Town had been long, so he was happy to finally turn in for the night. Hopefully Yazmin had brought money for the-
Woah, woah, woah. Hold up. Something's wrong.
The moment Martin walked through the door, he felt like he had been hit by a wave through his Sixth Sense. There was a huge amount of magical energy coming from a hooded man sitting at the bar; even more than the S-rank mage back at Autumnfire.

He'd never seen anything like this. Ever. He had to investigate.

"Hey, Ez! Can you take care of getting the rooms? I'll get us some food quick."
Martin went over to the bar and sat next to the man. He ordered what he thought his guildmates would like from the bartender and turned to his left.
Play it cool, Martin. No fear!
"Hi! What brings you around fear...I mean, here?"
****!

Last edited:

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
"Hnnngh..." grumbled Ari, wrapping her cloak more tightly around her as she finally stepped into the warm inn. Of all places to go for this mission, Spruce Town was the last one that she wished to deal with. Why couldn't the party have gone to Flor, Gyesta, or really anywhere else? The noise in the inn was also overwhelming - she could barely hear Ezra shouting about making reservations for rooms. A number of scary-looking people sat nearby the entrance, talking among themselves or just lounging around. Ari chose to follow Ezra to the reception desk, her familiar Selene strolling close by.

Near the desk, it was easier to see - and hear - everything. Ari finally loosened her cloak a little and kneeled down to pet Selene. The dinocorn was an absolute champ - it braved most of the final walk without needing to be carried. "You doing okay?" asked Ari, offering her a treat.

Selene cooed, excitedly snatching the treat from Ari's hands. After chewing it up, the familiar shifted around before lying down on the ground.

"D'aww, you cutie," said Ari before she leaned against the counter and gazed at the rest of the inn once more.

Flo

Seventh Siren
League Champion
Time Zone
BST
Yazmin took a long draw from her drink as she padded away from the Bartender, back towards where Ari sat with Selene. "Order whatever, I'll pay for it." The tavern was nice enough, as taverns went. The cold was something she could definitely do without, though with whatever this kill order Ezra had picked up for them.

Leaning over as if to pet Selene, Yazmin whispered into Ari's ear. "Don't trust anybody here. Spruce Town is famous for being a crime den. Thick as thieves and all that."

Yazmin was fortunate for one thing at least. The Azure Bombers they made her were spectacular. Seriously, whoever that Bartender was knew his brews. The Azure Bomber was a drink straight from the Capitol. Definitely not a rookie, that's for sure.

Jiaozi

Inactive
And with all that had happened, Ezra collapsed into the bed, absolutely exhausted.
It was definitely unfortunate he had missed Edgar—perhaps more immediately pressing, however, was the bartender. Ezra briefly entertained the idea that Vim was just an eccentric weirdo who liked messing with people. After scaling the mountain, maybe they could bring him back to Autumnfire to work as a bartender there... Surely, he'd be interested in meeting so many interesting people.

Yeti. Thieves. Edgar's Beast. Weird reality warping bartender.
It was best to just let it all go, and before he knew it, Ezra blacked out.

Flo

Seventh Siren
League Champion
Time Zone
BST
Yazmin sat down on her own bed, eyeing Ari across the room from her. While Vim certainly seemed to be trustworthy, there was something... off about him. Not just him, this whole town reeked of corruption. Sharron taught her that smell at least.

Beyond that, even just having the Copy outside the door wouldn't help if Vim tried anything, we'd just warp in. Chuckling lightly under her breath, she gripped Verge as she leaned herself against the wall while sat on the bed, pillow behind her. Tomorrow, they go hunting; something that Yazmin was far happier about. Fighting is what she was built for.

Jiaozi

Inactive

And back out in the cold again.
Ezra was leading the group outside, map in one hand, kill quest poster in the other. Fortunately, it seemed as though the group could conveniently run into the monsters on their way up to the place where Vim had marked with a large, red X. Ezra glanced at Ari’s messed-up dog, who seemed just a bit on the edge.
In the distance, Ezra could make out three rather large shapes. "Ah, yes, 'Kill three yetis roaming around at the base of the mountain.' Let's show them how Autumnfire rolls."

First combat! Of course, this type of stuff will be done in the Discord. It'll act like DnD but without the exact numbers and such. More information in the Discord!

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Time Zone
EST
Martin cautiously walked up to the man in the cabin.
"Hey, man. You alright?"

Jiaozi

Inactive
<interaction in discord>
“So this morning, this, uh, giant ****ing behemoth thing runs through half of our camp. I don’t know how to describe this thing, man. It had like weird tentacles for legs… anyway, that was already pretty ****. But whatever, right?
“Then later today, just a bit ago, ****ing Edgar Ainsworth waltzes straight up our hideout. And now, I was thinking that we’re pretty unlucky, right, but he didn’t seem to be after us. He just simply asked for if we’ve seen an ‘entity’ around. And right then and there, as I was listening in on this conversation, I just wanted to call him a ****ing idiot because what else could have literally destroyed half of the camp.
“So the bright-eyed young recruit just about, ah, your age—” he said, gesturing towards Martin. “—responded back…”
The man imitated a mockingly high-pitched voice. “‘Yes, sir. Big ‘ol thing that was. Ran straight through our camp, sir!’ Edgar asked, ‘Oh, what’s this camp for?’ And then, get this, the ****ing kid’s like, ‘Oh, we’re a hideout, sir! A hideout of thieves, that is! Let us know if you’re interested, sir!’ Then Edgar asked something weird like, ‘Have you guys done missions anywhere near Holliville’ and honestly, I don’t know why he’d ask that, but either way, at the end of the conversation, the guy’s straight up like, ‘Well, it was nice meeting you. But you are criminals.’
“Motherfucker straight up destroys the other half of our camp. I don’t know if he wanted me to live or if he just missed, but he just continued up that path. Literally, if you guys want to take me in, go right on a-****ing-head. ****’s absolutely unreal.”

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
After gathering information from the surviving thief, the party continued their hike up the mountain. There, they found Edgar Ainsworth hiding behind a rock, blinded and unable to think clearly after simply looking at the beast. Everyone wondered what the next plan of action would be, testing a number of possibilities. Unfortunately, Martin had shot an arrow directly into the beast's eye, enraging it and prompting it to chase the party for revenge. The party slowly attempted to see the beast for themselves, and all were fine except for Martin, who was blinded just as badly as Edgar after a quick glance.

Soon, the party had split into different directions. Ari remained with Ezra, who was carrying a barely-conscious Martin on his back. The beast continued to chase after Ari's crew, much to their dread. After panicking and suggesting a few horrible ideas in hindsight, the two able bodies agreed on simply running away as fast as possible. Ari created skis for herself and a snowboard for Ezra. With Ari deftly skiing away and Ezra barely balancing himself and Martin with mud, the crew continued to flee toward the thief camp.

Jiaozi

Inactive
Asher maintained his uneasy smile as waited for Edgar’s arrival. Maybe he just wasn’t going to show; after all, Asher didn’t bother waiting for a response. He’ll be a bit more polite next time, but his anxiety really got the better of him at that moment. As Asher was disintegrating and reforming himself to pass the time and alleviate his nerves, he saw a few shapes in the distance. Showtime.

He knew he wasn’t going to win. Asher believed he knew his limits pretty well, and this “spar” was just going to see how much he had improved since last year. “Hey, hey, Edgar, buddy, you ready?”

“Of course.”

“Well, your face paint tells a different story—Ah, let’s just get to it!”

“What did you say?”

“You ready?” Asher cracked his knuckles.

“Of c—“ Before Edgar had a chance to finish his sentence, he was met with a towering wave of sand and, in the next instant, a downpour.

To outside observers, the sudden appearance of a sandstorm ruined any chance for a normal person to enjoy the fight. Ironically, the blind Martin could see quite well the happenings of the clash.

Edgar put his arm up in front of him as if to defend himself against the sand particles streaming past him at speeds on par with a hurricane. Doesn’t that sand guy doesn’t understand this strategy will never work? This is exactly how he lost last time. “Full frontal!”

What type of loser says the name of his attacks out loud, Asher thought as the battlefield transformed from a sandstorm into an ice sculpture. At least I have the dignity to say my attacks in my head! The last time they met head-to-head, Asher had foolishly approached the battle as he would any other. He felt rather stupid, when, of course, he realized that his sand only served to further spread Edgar’s flames.

Instead of enveloping the whole area in a sandstorm, however, Asher had created an eye for his person. The second Edgar froze his hurricane, Asher dismissed his resistance to feign a loss. This is the moment!

Edgar let out a breath of frustration. All that walking distance for that short of a battle, again? The S-rank requirements really have gone dow—his senses heightened once more as he picked up signs of magic again. Could this ****er stop interrupting my thoughts and words? Ah, ****!

Edgar tried rolling out of the way, but not before Asher’s blade delivered a slash across his chest. “Gah!

“Hey, that’s an improvement from last time,” Asher taunted, “Don’t you think?”

“Yeah.” responded Edgar. “Nice. Now, freeze.”

A week later.

Martin had made a full recovery in just about a week to the surprise of everyone, including the guild's doctor. That didn't matter, though. Ezra was busy trying to find something else for the group to do. Their last adventure, if you could call it that, was maybe just a bit too stressful. Though his increase in rank didn't pragmatically mean anything, Ezra found himself looking at quests that were just a bit harder than what the group may be used to. He glanced at a serial killer's wanted poster. Why was this guy wearing sunglasses? Either way, probably not. If Ezra announced that they were next going to track down a serial killer, he'd probably be strangled by more than one person.
Oh hey, this looks nice and easy!

"Alright, gang!" Ezra slapped a quest poster down onto their table. "Investigate the mysterious ship off the coast of Flor! It's only a two-star quest! We'll take care of the mission then use this quest as an excuse to relax for a bit! I think it'll be fun. What's the worst that could happen?"

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Ari's eyes widened when Ezra showed everyone the quest poster. Flor!!! she thought. For years, that was her dream vacation spot, but now she actually had a reason to travel all the way there. "Beaches and glamour and ships?" said Ari. "Two stars too? There's no way we should pass this up!"

Selene cooed in agreement. After the misery known as Spruce Town, the familiar seemed ready to relax too.

Flo

Seventh Siren
League Champion
Time Zone
BST
Yazmin looked up from her breakfast to scan the poster. It seemed simple enough, perhaps even below what they were capable of.

However.

Yazmin was not going to turn down spending time at the beach. "I agree. This seems like the perfect opportunity to get back into the swing of things. The location's good this time too, not a frozen hole like Spruce Town."

This did seem to be just what they needed.

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Time Zone
EST
Martin was in a bit of a rut. Between temporarily going blind and getting demoted, he'd noticeably been a lot more somber than usual. He was frustrated that he had been more of a burden on his friends than a help on the last quest. Not to mention he literally almost got Yazmin and himself killed. He was more determined than ever to prove what he could do, but...something still wasn't sitting right.

Martin had been poking with what remained of his omelet when Ezra showed him the poster. For the first time in a week, his eyes shone with joy.
"Woah! I've never been to the beach before. My only problem is that water completely counters my Theme, so...uh..."
Martin smiled awkwardly and went back to eating.
"Right. I'll find a way to be useful, I guess."

Jiaozi

Inactive
By 8:00 PM, the port of Flor was already covered under a blanket of darkness. Rickety lanterns were scattered around the dock. The party approached the scene in complete silence.

In a hushed whisper, Ezra briefly briefed the group. "Alright, gang, we move as a unit. Let's try to figure out what we can while we're here. Don't be seen. I don't want to find out what type of conflict we can get ourselves into."

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
It had all happened so fast. Just a few hours ago, they had been sneaking onto the mysterious ship in Flor’s port. But the ship had sailed, passing through air, and now they had crashed onto a completely unknown land? To make things worse, Ari and Yazmin had had to figure out how to free the poor guys from a prison inside the ship. Her trap for knocking out Bimmy hadn’t worked because Martin had pulled the cord too early. And right before the crash, they were in the middle of fighting Limmy, the telekinetic boss of the smugglers. Ari was unimaginably useless, of course thinking of more effective strategies in hindsight. After all their troubles, Limmy had still gotten away.

Ari pouted as she and Ezra dragged Bimmy the smuggler over for questioning. The mud face had angered her at least twice today - first with his complete loss of reason the moment that he laid eyes on the cafe’s waitress and next with his absolute rejection of her idea that they may have landed on the uncharted Halubarna. Like, hello? She was the one who had seen the map on Limmy’s desk, and she had seen the ship flying through thin air from the window view. It was absolutely the best guess they had. Ari knew that sometimes her opinions and solutions were dumb, but this was backed by the evidence that Ezra had refused to see.

Still, Ari kept a cool demeanor while attempting to question the uncooperative Bimmy with Ezra. Focus on the task at hand after all. She could curl away from everyone else once this mission ended.

The icing on the cake came when Yazmin completely took over the situation again. Of all things to do, she had undone Bimmy’s restraints to “show them the way out,” which was a terrible idea. The expected outcome had occurred - Bimmy had bolted. However, a maiden whose looks easily outshined Ezra’s waitress’s had shot him down immediately.

Now Ari and Yazmin stood with mouths agape, ready to hear what this mysterious savior would tell them.

Last edited:

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Time Zone
EST
As Martin looked on and the being was obliterated, he couldn't help but feel a bit insignifigant. Here were some of the greatest superpowers of the kingdom coming together to kill this thing, and he got to stand by and watch the show. Was this the pinnacle of what a guildmage could be? He'd never seen anything like it!

He reflected for a moment on what had happened in the past year. He'd found some of the best friends of his life and made it to the biggest guildmage event in the entire kingdom. He'd even managed to (kinda) beat Manson, his uncle.

He realized that he was going to have to work harder than he ever had before to make S-class. And that was going to start as soon as he got back to Autumnfire. Martin was ready to train for his entire break to push himself further.

Now, the only question: Where should he go for his retreat?