Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
So I've never fully completed a challenge run before, the farthest I ever got was 5 badges into a Diamond Nuzlocke years ago, but I want to change that. Since I'm not in the middle of any other Pokemon games (aside from that pokemon x playthrough that, don't worry, i haven't forgotten about.), I figured now with society in quarantine would be a good time. So for my first full challenge, I decided to do the most absolutely ridiculously frustrating challenge I could think of: a bug monotype of a game from when bugs still sucked. You may say I'm a bit crazy, maybe even out of my mind, but what it comes down to is that I like this game too much, and need something new in my life to hate.

So please join me on this journey that could fit the criteria of legal torture depending on who you ask.

episode1.png

----------------
PersonalJourney.PNG

So I normally like to give my characters the official names in RPGs, but since this is gonna be a more personal journey of me running back to the Pokemon Center every 5 minutes, I figured I'd use my own name instead.
notenoughletters.PNG

Except there aren't enough spaces provided for me to spell Caroline, smh shaking my head we live in a society
narration.PNG

Oh neat first person narration.
maximumsuffering.PNG

Because we're on a quest for maximum possible suffering, I choose Chikorita as my starter just so my rival could have a fire type.
nicename.PNG

Seems like a pretty apt name for this challenge.
perpetualrun.PNG

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but having an automatic run button was a great addition that they really shouldn't have cut.
shacklesremoved.PNG

With the running shoes finally acquired, I feel like I've been released of my shackles. Time to go fast.
firstlossomen.PNG

first battle against the easy tutorial boss, and I lost. this better not be an omen of things to come.
archrival.PNG

ah yes, my arch-rival
ledyba.PNG

Alright now that we have pocket monster balls we can actually start the run proper. First up is the team captain, Ledyba.
stardust.PNG

Ledyba isn't a good Pokemon in most contexts, but here in the bug monotype where I only have like 12 options for Pokemon, she has a valuable niche that gets her a permanent spot on the team.
shadowrealm.PNG

Unforuntately, that means Chikorita has to go to the Shadow Realm now, so that sucks.
newbestfriend.PNG

Alright new best friend, welcome to Jumanji.
weedle.PNG

Though she isn't going to be a permanent teammate, I did want to catch a Weedle for now since Beedrill's power is invaluable in these early game areas.
beemovie.PNG

There was only one name I could ever give Weedle, of course.
grindtime.PNG

Alright now with the team assembled, it is grind time my dudes.
kakuna.PNG

Bee Movie evolved into Seinfeld.
level8.PNG

After some solid grinding, I got the team up to level 8 and figured that was a good level to cap off at for now.
supersonic.PNG

While grinding, Ledyba learned Supersonic, which seems like it could come in handy.
youngsterjoey.PNG

First proper fight; against who else but Youngster Joey himself. There was no difficulty to be found.
obligatory.PNG

As was required by gamer law, I took Joeys number and will listen to all his exciting phone calls.
oraoraora.PNG

yeah
onthevergeofgreatness.PNG

Bellsprout could have been perfect grind fodder for Bee Movie, but alas it is part poision type. smh
beedrill.PNG

Bee Movie evolved into Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.
nexttimeondbz.PNG

And that's about gonna do it for now. Next time on Dragon Ball Z, we'll sweep through the Sprout Tower and then probably get demolished by Falkner 50 times before pulling off a lucky dub.
1584818114384.png

Stardust the Ledyba
-Tackle
-Supersonic
-Comet Punch

1584818219082.png

Bee Movie the Beedrill
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
A bug monotone? That sounds really interesting! And really difficult lol.
Good luck on Falkner. . Maybe spam Harden on Pidgey and try to get a lucky Poison.
And yes. You must get Joey's number. I'm pretty sure that's an automatic failure in a Challenge run of any Gen 2 game.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
This is where the fun "begins"

epsusode2.png

------------
notforlong.PNG

You aren't gonna be for long, bud, not with what's coming in the next hour or so.
toweringaboveus.PNG

Before we jump into hell we're gonna have to take on Sprout Tower, which if I'm being honest is not a big deal.
easystreet.PNG

Even with the ultimate crutch that is an all bug team, Sprout Tower is still easy as heck. Gaming time.
hit2times.PNG

I was real excited to 1 shot all of these Bellsprouts, but for whatever reason Fury Attack kept hitting 2 times, just barely leaving the enemy alive. With how little damage vine whip does to me it might as well have one shotted, though.
birdup.PNG

Alright here we are, the end of the good times.
hypnosisblock.PNG

It turns out these owls I remember specifically for spamming Hypnosis can spam Hypnosis. Good thing I came prepar- oh.
noawakenings.PNG

So apparently the shops in this town don't sell awakenings. society.jpg
supersonicgamble.PNG

Alright it may be dumb but I'm thinking I'm gonna take a gamble and use supersonic. This could only go well.
cashmoney.PNG

See what did I tell ya'll? The risky strats are the only strats.
ownedepicstyle.PNG

I was kinda dreading that Hoothoot but I owned him epic style. Gamers rise up.
nitrogrind.PNG

Alright fun's over; now it's time for that nitro grind baybee.
creepyruins.PNG

I stopped by the ruins to see if Unown grinding would be faster than bellsprouts, and I remembered that time I was 8 and got really scared in this place. Good memories.
level14.PNG

After 12 years and one catchy song of grinding, I got the team up to level 14; which I thought was a respectable level.
supportingme.PNG

Along the way, Stardust learned a bunch of good supportive moves, which means aside from either Safeguard or Comet Punch, her final moveset is already locked in.
npcsswept.PNG

On the way to Falkner, Bee Movie completely swept the NPC trainers, which was reassuring going into a tough fight.
bigbirdbattle.PNG

Alright here we go, the big bird battle. Ya'll ready?
sandattacksafeguard.PNG

So I was thinking that I should lead with Stardust and use Safeguard since Pidgey has Sand-Attack and if it spammed that things could get pretty bad.
safeguardcancelled.PNG

Except it turns out Safeguard doesn't do **** against Sand Attack or moves like it, which I really should have known going into this. Again, we really do live in a society.
herewego.PNG

Ah alright here we go, pain time.
critsupereffectiveclutch.PNG

Pidigeotto got a crit, super effective Gust and Stardust still managed to tank it. Absolute unit.
vengeance.PNG

Stardust perished after getting off a successful Light Screen, so it's time for vengeance.
firsttrybaybee.PNG

Aye I took down Pidgeotto on my first try, let's ****ing go lads.
didn'tdieasingletime.PNG

You should be happy, you didn't die a single time!
mayiofferyouanegg.PNG

Hey an egg. Ya'll know what we do with these.
banished.PNG

The Egg has been forever banished to the Shadow Realm. this is so freaking epic!
adios.PNG

And with that, another episode comes to an end. Everything honestly went really well there, which I chalk up entirely to my gamer skill and not any sort of ridiculous luck. Next time we'll walk some more I guess.

Stardust the Ledyba
-Comet Punch
-Safeguard
-Reflect
-Light Screen

1584990217518.png

Bee Movie the Beedrill
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack

Reactions: Zed

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Damn, Ledyba. I knew thatt line had good Special Defense, hut thats insane.
Good job, little lady!
Nice job taking out Falkner fairly easily! That's one major hurdle out of the way.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Committing a place on the final team to the Ledyba line, huh? I admire your moxie, young challenger.

So far, so good though! Seems like that Falkner battle actually went pretty smooth. Only one more gym battle to go before a certain Single Horn Pokemon becomes available to power up the squad, so keep it up!

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
intro

1585527181646.png

onwards.PNG

Alright now that the surprisingly easy flying gym is out of the way, onwards to the next adventure.
scratchthat.PNG

Scratch that I have to go buy some repels real quick.
forrealthistime.PNG

Now, as I was saying. Onward.
lowpp.PNG

This is only gonna be relevant for like 2 seconds, but I'm noticing Comet Punch doesn't have a lot of PP. That kinda sucks, I guess.
twinneedle.PNG

Bee Movie learned Twineedle, which is basically better Poison Sting. IDK why I kept Poison Sting on it, pretty sure fairies don't exist.
unioncavedin.PNG

It turns out Union Cave is filled with Hikers who use the rock type. That could be problematic for my team of bug types with bug and normal type moves.
notthatbad.PNG

Actually that wasn't that bad. Apparently Rock doesn't resist bug like I thought, so Bee Movie was able to sweep.
teamrocket.PNG

That you are, bud.
levelbalancing.PNG

I snuck into Ilex Forest for whatever reason, and I was a bit taken by the low levels on the wild Pokemon. I know this game has a screwy level curve, but I don't remember it being this bad.
rocketbanger.PNG

Okay I will say though this music is quite epic.
machpunch.PNG

Replaced Safeguard with Mach Punch because I figured the utility for Safeguard was minimal with Items allowed and Having my one attacking move be what I'm gonna add in a bit would be torture.
proton.PNG

Does anyone actually remember this character? Like does anybody even know who he is? All the evil team admins in these games are pretty bland, but the ones here just take the cake. Who on this planet says their favorite character is Proton?
ledian.PNG

Stardust evolved into Jotaro.
bugtime.PNG

Aye it's time for some bug on bug action. Here we go.
beehaveyourselves.PNG

I don't have a joke here, it's just a lot of bees.
doublebattle.PNG

Oh cool double battle this is a thing that exists.
bugsy.PNG

Alright now time to take on the enby icon themself: Bugsy.
scytherlead.PNG

Oh okay he led with Scyther. I thought he was gonna start with Beedrill or whatever so now I'm kind of in a rump.
poisonluck.PNG

With reflect up, Scyther was doing about as much damage as Pidgeotto last gym, and the Reflect wouldn't last long. I luckily managed to poison it somewhat early, sealing it's fate.
scytherdown.PNG

And Scyther went down. It should be noted that one Scyther gave me more trouble than the entirety of the flying gym. This really says something about our society.
outofpotions.PNG

Metapod would be an easy foe, but both my Pokemon are pretty injured and I'm out of potions. Things could get dicey.
clutchhour.PNG

It all comes down to this, Bee Movie has to take this Kakuna out and secure the Victory Royale. Just gotta hope Fury Attack hits enough times.
queenbee.PNG

Absolute queen ****.
U-turn.PNG

Replaced Comet Punch with U-Turn. Sans maybe some replacement for Mach Punch far down the road, this is Stardust's final moveset.
nomoretroubleslol.PNG

So hey, it looks like that's about it for this part.
heyimgrump.PNG

Oh wait I still have to take down Mr Game Grumps.
uturnblock.PNG

smh he used Mean Look and now I can't switch out with my epic U-Turn strats.
uturnbug.PNG

But apparently Mean Look doesn't affect U-Turn, so I got to use the strats regardless. Epic.
thisiswherethefunends.PNG

Ah okay this is where the fun ends I guess.
leerandnsmokescreen.PNG

Except not really because Quilava only used Leer and Smokescreen. Nice odds, I guess.
hastalavista.PNG

Alright, for real this time, goodbye for now. I don't have any funny ending memes so please pretend your watching something funny.

1585533778154.png

Stardust the Ledian
-U Turn
-Mach Punch
-Reflect
-Light Screen

1584990217518.png

Bee Movie the Beedrill
-Poison Sting
-Twinneedle
-Harden
-Fury Attack

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I remember Proton! I remember Petrel too!

Since Scyther is a Flying-type, I suppose Falkner could have used one as well. Imagine facing a Scyther for two Gym Leaders in a row.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
All this work to gain the reputation of the 'scariest, cruelest guy in Team Rocket', only to not be remembered at all? Poor Proton.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
My laptop started sporadically working again a few weeks ago, but then the new Terraria update cam out so I haven't thought to update this until now. Anyways, here's the long awaited continuation of this playthrough.

heyo.jpg

easierthanremembered.PNG

This puzzle with the Farfetchd's was easier than I remembered. I thought I took some time here the last time I played this, but then again that was like 2 years ago.
hm slave.PNG

Alright I did the math and it turns out it is literally impossible to use some of the HM's in this game without a non-bug type. So I'm making the executive description to catch a slave to cut down trees.
tributetocapitalism.PNG

It's a tribute to capitalism- to all the nice things we can't have because the ruling class actively spits on the masses and just expects us to take it. I'm of course referring to the cool Celebi event.
heracross.PNG

Oh sick it's the next teammate. Can't wait to add him to the team!
balls.PNG

nvm lol
take2lol.PNG

Alright take 2 here we go
eyelanderplusattack.PNG

Alright we got her this time. Also got a plus attack nature, which is real epic.
suddeninteruption.PNG

Ayyyyy look it's the funny meme line
grindtime.PNG

Alright Eyelander came in at level 5, so that's about 10 levels of grinding we now gotta do. What fun.
grindcomplete.PNG

Alright we did it. not that bad honestly.
onthehunt.PNG

Now that we've reached Pokemon Gold Version City, I am now going to search for all 4 remaining members of this team. Having 6 mons this early feels like a bit of a nightmare, but I can't argue with encounter tables.
Pineco.PNG

Found a creatively designed pinecone and decided to add it to the team.
stickybombplusdefense.PNG

And look at that, she's got a plus defense nature. Truly, this is epic.
uhoh.PNG

uh oh.
routeroadblock.PNG

on the road to some tall grass, I found a fire type trainer blocking my path, making for quite the roadblock of a fight.
getfucked.PNG

At least that's what I would say
yanma.PNG

Hey despite it being a 1% encounter, I found Yanma right away. What good luck!
iscrewedup.PNG

Or not, I guess, hahaha.
take2.PNG

Alright take 2, this time hopefully for real.
sheila.PNG

And thankfully we got it right this time. The nickname is liable to change.
bigbug.PNG

Alright for a dragonfly, this thing is a bit big I'd say.
suddenlynight.PNG

And oh look, it's suddenly nighttime. I definitely didn't manipulate the clock based on some misunderstanding of encounter rates or whatever; that would be silly.
bugcatching.PNG

It's like the middle of the night, perfect time to partake in a bug catching contest.
pinsir.PNG

Hey cool it's Pinsir.
chompsky.PNG

Pinsir is probably a bit redundant given the team composition, but I only had 3 viable mons to fill the last 2 spots, and I can't trade to get Scizor, so I decided to throw in a subsitute offensive suppliment.
venonat.PNG

Speaking of substitutes, I was originally gonna use Shuckle as my 6th mon, but I realized having a base attack stat of 5 wasn't worth messing with, so I went with the only other bug type in the game that wasn't complete trash.
lamp.PNG

Lamp.
everyoneishere.PNG

And with that, everyone is here. I'd fight Whitney, but that would require a massive grind session and frankly I'm not in the mood for that right now. So this is gonna be the stopping point for today, bye bye.

I don't have the patience to update this section every update, so yeah, no more The Team.

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Bugs eh? I did bugs on Alpha Sapphire. Super fun challenge. Good luck with it.