AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
So I was doing research for a project I'm working on and thought how it's really cool how distinct the personalities of US states can be. What personality traits would fit each of the states? How do you think that changes the way people from each interact with the world? Or on another note, how do other countries differ from the US or regions in themselves? I'd love to see what you guys think.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Texas: Trigger Happy and Independent (at least as far as it's concerned). Like seriously it's much more lax on gun laws than other states (although I want to take the right to bear arms a little more to the opposite extreme. Someone get me a bear that needs surgery and some sort of saw, stat). In so far as that, the State is very hands-off and rebellious (in a positive and negative sense given some of the things that are and aren't legal). The one thing that fits Texas best is Inconsistent: Guns are fine, Booze is okay in some counties but not in others, and if you're using pot it better be prescribed to you (speaking in terms of how Texas' laws seem to see it).

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
it's hard to say for my state (Nevada). cuz yeah so much of it is boring desert but then you have Reno and Las Vegas. I feel like it might be a bit trashy but also humble. maybe.

my homestate (cali) is a bit easier, but also weird because the north area is so much different than the south side. i was born in socal but raised in norcal. very different people

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Am from new jersey, can confirm that all of the stereotypes you hear about us are 100% accurate. example (it's an urbandictionary link so all the normal content warnings apply).

Also don't listen to anybody who tries to tell you otherwise, the "joisey" accent thing is 100% real - although honestly I'm pretty sure most of the people who unironically talk like that are related to my mom. Family gatherings are something else.

Also, fact: I always buy gas at the last station in the state whenever I drive to somewhere else because I have no idea how pumping your own is supposed to work. :^)

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Oregon is tricky since each area is different from the last. That isn’t a bad thing of course, but it makes creating a singular “state personality” kind of difficult. Here’s one for each major region:

The Valley (Portland, Salem, Eugene, etc): Extremely introverted. Not afraid to try something that’s out of the ordinary.

Central Oregon: (Cascade Mountains and Bend area): Loves the outdoors and is obsessed with jogging. A bit conflicted on their world views, but willing to meet new people.

Eastern Oregon (The large desert to the east with very few people): Very traditionalist and prefers their own company, but pretty friendly.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I live in the bible belt so uh nuff said.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Rosie
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
Switch FC
5531-8213-8624
IGN
Rhi, Cali, or Rosie
Let's take the East Coast of Canada where you get a mix of people, but I will keep it positive. Some are very friendly and open. Like, I can talk to almost anyone and just have a casual conversation about hockey or whatever. Here it is pretty laid back I guess as well.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
since no one else has mentioned cali i wanna talk about how much i love it in more depth, i may not live there currently but it is ultimately my home & where i was born... every day i wish i could move back...

the main thing i just adore about cali is it is SO varied... like, most people when they think of cali, they think of the bay area, which is an amazing place to be but the forests and mountain ranges to the north are downright gorgeous as well. that's where i grew up so i may be slightly biased, but it is extremely cozy up there, and the people are a lot more chill too. (that's another thing - i've noticed people in socal are generally very different than those in norcal... life just moves so much slower in norcal.)

It's funny because I've always had people say things to me like, Oh you grew up in california, you must have never seen snow, you must not know what it's like to be cold. But up in the north I had very normal seasons lol. That state is sooo much more than beaches and overpriced homes. Depending on where you are in cali you've got towering mountains, dense forests, vast deserts, or of course, the sparkling ocean. It is a treat to explore every corner of it. just wish the cost of living wasn't so damn high.

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
seems about right
Ohio's interesting because you have a melting pot of the country, conservative farm types, and then you have the rust belt type of people living in the same state. It's why we're such a swing state in elections and such. I think Ohio personality wise is like one of those washed up mid-life crisis folk who lost everything in life and doesn't know where to go next, but they have two kids in elementary school that they're trying to raise as a single parent.