Surprising Challenge Champs

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
During your locke challenges what are some pokemon you wouldn't normally use but have surprised you?
Mine are:
Azumarill from a locke of X version
Grumpig from a locke of Omega Ruby, I really hated this pokemon but it turned into my go to pokemon for the run.
And now Roselia in Diamond.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I used a Dunsparce :dunsparce: for the Stone Age Time Warp challenge I did for Marriplays recently, which really managed to surprise me. It hit surprisingly hard, first with Return and later with Double Edge, which worked really well with Roost and his naturally high HP.

Dunsparce has really good coverage options as well. As the Stone Age challenge limited me to Grass, Fire, Ground, Rock and Normal types, Dunsparce's access to Ice Beam was really helpful. Also, Charge Beam's 70% chance to raise SpA and Serene Grace made for some fun shenanigans ^^

I just caught him for the lolz and planned to replace him later, but he ended up being really useful and stuck with me until the end.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
@Calaf wow that is a surprising one, I don't think I've heard of anyone liking dunsparce.

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Gastrodon. (Specifically East Sea form)

In my first successful nuzlocke of Sun, I had one as my Ancient Poni Path encounter, and due to some unfortunate losses it became part of my team.

It. Was. Awesome. I don't know if it had unusually hight HP of Defence or something, but it was able to tank just about anything, and once I taught it Toxic it was pretty much unstoppable. Plus thanks to Recover it could heal itself without needing to spend money on extra potions!

It was one of the only two pokemon left alive at the end, single handedly taking down 80% of the champ's team.
I even brought freaking Solgaleo into the E4, yet it was outperformed by this Gastrodon.

Reactions: SAF

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
Gastrodon. (Specifically East Sea form)

In my first successful nuzlocke of Sun, I had one as my Ancient Poni Path encounter, and due to some unfortunate losses it became part of my team.

It. Was. Awesome. I don't know if it had unusually hight HP of Defence or something, but it was able to tank just about anything, and once I taught it Toxic it was pretty much unstoppable. Plus thanks to Recover it could heal itself without needing to spend money on extra potions!

It was one of the only two pokemon left alive at the end, single handedly taking down 80% of the champ's team.
I even brought freaking Solgaleo into the E4, yet it was outperformed by this Gastrodon.
That sounds really cool, Gastrodon isn't a pokemon I've thought to use, congrats on your new appreciation for it.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
When me and my friend did our Platinum Soul Link we allowed ourselves 1 Honey Tree encounter. He got himself an Aipom that was unreasonably strong, slapping nerds around with Double Hit. I managed to net myself a FEMALE combee, later Vespiquen that managed to tank a Rapidash's Flare Blitz and Bounce and even a Rock Slide from something I can't remember, I think like Drapion or something?

Oh when we did our X/Y coop nuzlocke I got a Mime Jr in reflection cave, but I despise Mr Mime so I threw an Eviolite on it and it managed to survive til the end like an absolute Unit.