Tacobowler's Generationlocke...Again

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
After seeing WindriderShiva's generationlocke on here I was inspired to try again. Over the last couple of years (I started pre-gen 7) I failed my previous generation locke in the Elite Four of Platinum. I am losening the rules this time, but want to try again.

Main Rules:
1 - 3. Standard Nuzlocke rules (first encounter, death, nickname)
  1. Dupes Clause: if my encounter for an area is a pokemon that I already have any of that line, it doesn't count and I move on to the next. There is no limit here. (This counts for branched evoloution as well, only one per line)
  2. Dupes Clause over generations: Every pokemon that I take into the Elite Four in each game is disqualified from subsequent games in the run. This is for variety.
  3. Challenge doesn't start until I have pokeballs.
  4. I am allowed to use any feature included in the game, but I will limit a few of them and we will get to that when we arrive at the games in question.
  5. Battle style is switch. At least for now.
  6. I reserve the right to add rules as I encounter things I'm not thinking of right now!
Games will be Blue, HeartGold, OmegaRuby, Platinum, Black, Y, UltraMoon. Possibly add White2 and Sword, but we'll see.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
CURRENT RUN IS BLUE​

Towns:
Pallet Town: Tank (bulbasaur)
Viridian City: Secret (magikarp gift)
Pewter City:
Cerulean City: Lord Helix (Omanyte, gift)
Vermilion City:
Lavender Town: Bean (snorlax, gift)
Saffron City: Nessie (lapras, gift)
Celadon City:
Fuchsia City:

Routes:
Route 1: Birdie (pidgey)
Route 22: King (nidran male)
Route 2: Free (caterpie)
Route 3: Spearow, knocked out.
Route 4: Thawed (sandshrew)
Route 24: James (bellsprout)
Route 25: Abra, teleported away.
Route 5: Bank (meowth)
Route 11: Dreamer (drowzee)
Route 6: Jackie (hitmonchan)
Route 10: Chance (spearow)
Route 9: Rattata, knocked out
Route 8: Foxy (vulpix)
Route 7: Bill (Eevee, gift)
Route 12:
Route 13: Molly (venonat)
Route 14:
Route 15:
Cycling Road (Route 17):
Route 18:
Route 19:
Route 21: Medusa (tengela)
Route 20: Jelly (tentacool)
Route 23:

Caves and other:
Viridian Forest: Hard (kakuna)
Mt Moon: Luna (zubat)
Diglett’s Cave: Digger (diglett)
Rock Tunnel: Clark (machop)
Pokemon Tower: Casper (gastly)
Safari Zone: Queen (nidoran female)
Seafoam Islands: North (staryu)
Pokemon Mansion: Nine (vulpix)
Victory Road: Panic (onix)
Power Plant: voltorb (knocked out)

Last edited:

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Prologue:

To my Great Liege,

The future remains clear to me. I have foreseen your successful rise, your castle towering over the region. Nothing I have seen can stop you and your followers. But I have seen the invader just as clearly; a fire descending from the sky to destroy it all, appearing from nowhere as if summoned from another dimension. It cannot be, and yet the vision is clear.

You need not concern yourself. I believe there to be an action that can be taken, and for that we must find a champion. I write to tell you that I am taking a leave for the purpose of searching for our champion. Through my disguise as a professor in the Kanto Region, I will follow many beginning trainers through their journeys to power. Once a suitable contender has been found we will send him to stop the invader before it is sent. He will think himself a hero...and the last obstacle to your rise will be removed.

Your servant as always,

M

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Okay, I think it's been 6 hours so here's chapter 1. That's as far as I've gotten though so it'll be a little before chapter 2 goes up.

My liege,

I have sent two new trainers on their way this morning, young boys named Red and Gold. Red chose a Bulbasaur and Gold immediately chose a charmander to counter him. That one shows potential. Still, the Bulbasaur beat the charmander, so I am unsure what to think of the two.

Gold remains ahead. He shows initiative and resolve that will be needed for our champion. But Red did beat him again as the traveled. Both made easy work of the first gym leader, a pushover named Brock. I will keep my eye on them and see if one separates himself.

Your servant, as always,

M

---------------

Mom!

A lot happened since I left home. I’m sorry I haven’t written. I got my first pokemon from the Professor, a Bulbasaur named Tank. Since then I’ve caught a pidgey (Birdie), a male nidoran (King), a caterpie (Free), and a kakuna (Hard). The kakuna hasn’t really done much of anything so far. But I did get to Pewter! And I beat our neighbor Gold as well as the gym leader here! I’m doing great so far, although the training has been tedious. But I’m going slow, like you said. It’s not like I’m trying to impress anyone but myself.

Love,
Red
  • Named myself Red. Named rival Gold. Important for story reasons later.
  • Oak wouldn’t talk to me until I walked into the grass to get his attention. Go figure.
  • Random Number Generator (because no trainer id could be found) was 1. So Bulbasaur! (Tank)
  • Had to use the potion from the pc because Tank missed the first attack, but I beat Gold in the first battle.
  • Delivered the GS Special poke-ball to Oak. Got Pokedex and the ability to get pokeballs! Challenge on!
  • Route 1 - Pidgey! (Birdie)
  • Route 22 - Nidoran Male! (King)
  • Route 2 - Caterpie! (Free)
  • Viridian Forest (eventually) - Kakuna! (Hard)
  • Used switch training to get everyone to at least level 5 before taking on the trainers in Viridian Forest.
  • Free evolved in the forest, but didn’t learn harden?
  • trained King and Birdie to lv 9 before taking on Gold. King took out Pidgey after he used 4 sand attacks and I gave up on using Tank for him. Birdie took out charmander by returning the favor and causing 3 misses with scratch.
  • Trained Free and Tank to try and get moves for Brock. Free evolved.
  • VS Brock: Free took out Geodude in 3 hits, including successfully confusing him. Tank took out onix in one hit. Badge Get!
Tank, :bulbasaur:
lv 14,
Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Birdie, :pidgey:
lv 10,
gust, Sand Attack, -, -

King, :nidoranm:
lv 9,
Leer, Tackle, Horn Attack, -

Free, :butterfree:
lv 12,
Tackle, String Shot, Confusion, -

Hard, :kakuna:
lv 5,
Harden, -, -, -
None yet.
  1. None yet!

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Lol I was surprised when Free didn't learn Harden upon evolution, but apparently that's not a thing in Red and Blue? My first game was Yellow, in which they do learn it so I was confused xD. Oh well, learned something new today ^^

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Lol I was surprised when Free didn't learn Harden upon evolution, but apparently that's not a thing in Red and Blue? My first game was Yellow, in which they do learn it so I was confused xD. Oh well, learned something new today ^^
Yea I didn't know that wasn't a thing in Blue either (and my first game was actually Blue...). I was also expecting Vine Whip around level 9, not 13. And I was expecting confusion at 10 for Butterfree, but it was 12. Also double kick doesn't come until 43 for Nidoran (it was around 10 in Yellow onward).

Yeah, Gen 1 is crazy.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Dear Mom,

I left Pewter early in the morning hoping to get a good distance on the day. I think I may have left before I should have, but I yawned my way into route 3. I got into a fight (using pokemon, don’t worry) with a trainer there who really liked shorts. He used a rattata who hit really hard, but I thought Birdie could take it. But a second hit caused Birdie to be unable to continue battling. I sent him back to the professor in hopes that he could at least facilitate research, but his battling days are over.

After that I headed off down Route 3 and encountered a wild spearow, but I accidentally ended its battling days too. I did manage to make it to the pokemon center at the base of Mt. Moon, but decided that I needed to rest. I hadn’t followed your advice; I had rushed into things and not been patient. That would change. But before I could sleep I made one more decision. A person there was pushing a great water type pokemon for only $500. And I bought it. And it was a fish that does nothing but splash. Still, it’s mine, and I named it Secret in hopes it has a secret power somewhere in there.

After sleep, I trained Secret using King and Tank and both of them evolved. At that point I felt comfortable to enter Mt. Moon. I caught a zubat named Luna there, but decided to box it along with Hard, at least for now. There was no further problems as I got through Mt. Moon. Patience wins! I’m now in Cerulean City, having just gotten in from catching a sandshrew that I’m naming Thawed. I’ll train it tomorrow. I’ve also heard of a guy named Bill to the north, so I may check him out. No need to rush, right?

Love you,
Red
  • Trained Hard to level 7 before deciding to box it since I already have a (better) bug and 2 other poison.
  • I Like shorts! They’re comfy and easy to wear! (I actually hate shorts, but I do like this tradition in the games.)
  • Birdie was hit by a tackle from a rattata for 15/30, but it was a crit, so I left it out. A quick attack was used next and did more than 15 without a crit. I thought I was safe! BIRDIE DIES! It was the shorts guy! I hate that tradition now ;)
  • Route 3: Spearow! Knocked it out believeing that a horn attack that took 4 hits to knock out the spearow from a trainer wouldn’t knock out a wild one. GRRR! I wanted that too.
  • I’ve lost 2 catches, and boxed another. I’m taking the magikarp. Counts for Viridian City
  • Switch trained Secret using Tank and King until they both evolved before heading into Mt. Moon just for a bit of safety.
  • Mt Moon is a zubat! Caught and named Luna, because I liked that name last time. However, it is boxed for the same reason Hard is. And I know from experience that Zubat gets no great moves in Gen I and is pretty wasted without Crobat being a thing.
  • It happened. I brought King out against a Clefairy thinking I’d attack the fairy typing 🤦‍♂️
  • Got the Helix Fossil.
  • Route 4 is Sandshrew. Named thawed since it’s Kantonian.
Tank, :ivysaur:
lv 18,

King, :nidorino:
lv 16,
Leer, Tackle, Horn Attack, Poison Sting

lv 15,
Tackle, String Shot, Confusion, -

Secret, :magikarp:
lv 13,
Splash, -, -, -

Thawed, :sandshrew:
lv 10,
Scratch, Sand Attack, -, -
lv 7,

Luna, :zubat:
lv 8,
  1. Birdie, :pidgey:, lv 10. Killed by shorts guy.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Ooooh a Sandshrew, I don't think I've used one in first gen before. Good luck!

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Hey hey ^^! Good luck with the run! I'm happy to see a Sandshrew on a team, really love Sandslash's design overall (though I'm salty it gets no damaging Ground attacks except by TM.)

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Hey hey ^^! Good luck with the run! I'm happy to see a Sandshrew on a team, really love Sandslash's design overall (though I'm salty it gets no damaging Ground attacks except by TM.)
Providing balanced STAB attacks was not one of the priorities for design in Gen I...

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
My Liege,

M reporting in again. After my brief trip back home to complete my duties for you, I returned eagerly to the Kalos region and checked in on the promising trainers I had sent out of Pallet Town last week. Both have made progress, but one is working much faster than the other. The trainer named Gold had two badges already secured and was working to make himself stronger through knowledge from a local expert. The trainer named Red had decided to stop and eat doughnuts; a clear fault. Yet, when the two met and did battle, Red proved victorious again. It wasn’t even a real fight; every battle went his way with ease. At one point he even one a matchup using a magikarp! Red then went on to catch a new bellsprout, which he named James, and miss an abra before obtaining a second badge himself.

Gold is working with the tenacity that we need, but Red continues to beat him in battle. I guess which we desire more, speed or ability, remains a question. Hopefully Gold will learn to battle better.

Your servant as always,
M
  • Clicked too fast and Free forgot Tackle for Stun Spore... oof.
  • There’s no reason not to evolve King into Nidoking unless I want to institute my self-imposed rule on stone evolutions. Since so much is easier this time I will impose it.
  • New Rule: Stone Evolutions can only happen if the pokemon has reached similar levels where others evolve. Thus if a 2 stage pokemon, they must be level 25 before using the stone. If 3 stage they must be level 16 or 36 respectively
  • Used switch training to get Tank and King to 18 and Free to 17 (just got bored on that one). Secret was 15 and Thawed was 12 when done.
  • Vs Gold:
    King vs Pidgeotto: It was quick attack vs horn attack. I win with 34/55 left.
    Secret vs Abra: Abra only has teleport so I put in magikarp for the memes.
    Tank vs Rattata: He missed one so I used a potion on King before finishing it.
    King vs Charmander: 2 Horn Attacks against one Leer. I think I won that.
  • Gold thinks he’s going to be better. Dude, you lost to a magikarp.
  • I want to join Team Rocket! Grr. Guess I’ll have to beat the guy down.
  • Route 24 is Bellsprout! Caught and named James. Boxed, but will definitely use if Tank ever dies.
  • Route 25 is Abra. It broke free of the great ball. Oh well.
  • I always forget how broken wrap was in this game.
  • Vs. Misty:
    King vs Staru: I bought items but forgot to heal! Entered with 35/60, but two horn attacks took out the staru.
    Tank vs Starme: Tank had 51/56 to start. But they only ever used tackle. And then she used an x-defend (apparently forgetting what gen she’s in since grass is special here). 3 vine whips was enough. Got lucky there. BADGE GET!
lv 20,

lv 20,

lv 19,
Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Poison Powder

Secret, :magikarp:
lv 16,
Splash, Tackle, -, -

Thawed, :sandshrew:
lv 16,
Scratch, Sand Attack, -, -
lv 7,

lv 8,

James, :bellsprout:
lv 12

Last edited:

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
That was close with the gym batltle ahaha. It's cool you've got Free, I really wanted one for my run. Secret is going to be a beast in a few levels as well.

Reactions: SAF

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
@Zedark: I wrote my next story before reading your comment. Great minds. Yup, I underestimated Gyarados for about a decade before one of these challenges forced me to use it. Crazy good. And Free is nice now, but I fear it may fail me in later parts. It's weak to poison for some reason, so I can't even use that psychic attack that well.

Dear Mom,

Hello from the Beach! It’s been a long trip since we last talked, but I’m now in Vermillion City and having a blast. I left Cerulean and headed south, catching a Meowth on route 5! That will certainly keep me in the money, ensuring I’m well fed. I know you’re worried. On that note, there’s a guy here named Hala who said he’s using fighting pokemon to help his son open a Malasada shop in Vermilion; whatever a Malasada is. He says it’s food of some kind.

There was a cruise ship here that was throwing some kind of party, and I had an absolute blast at the party. Although the captain was kinda seasick. I helped him using your tried and true method, but I don’t know how long it will last. Gold was there and I managed to beat him again. Oh, right, that horrible fish I bought evolved! And it’s an absolute beast now. Also I caught a drowzee on route 11; but I won’t evolve it until I’m ready. Don’t worry about me and hypno.

Anyway, just got done battling the gym leader here and getting my 3rd badge. With Thawed being a ground type it wasn’t an issue. Plus he evolved right after the battle! I’m thinking of heading back your way through a tunnel some diglett made. Have some extra food ready tomorrow!

Love,
Red.

105ur,

I believe I may have stumbled across something intriguing to your work: a pokemon appears to have kidnapped and replaced our local professor; just as you said might be happening in other regions, including your beloved Unova. I have taken some pictures and will be sailing to you on Anne’s next voyage. This letter should arrive before I do. If it is intercepted I pray for the safety of the ship.

Reguards,
100kr

PS: I encountered a very strong trainer named Red while waiting for the ship to depart. He may be of interest to our mutual acquaintance in Sinnoh.
  • Route 5 is Meowth! Caught and named Bank. Excited for this!
  • Route 6 does not have any possible encounters until I get a fishing rod.
  • Diglett’s Cave was diglett. Caught and named Digger
  • Route 11 is drowzee. Left with barely any hp after a crit from Thawed. Named Dreamer.
  • Training on route 6 and 2 rare candies gets Secret to 20. Taught Bubblebeam to it.
  • Cleared the SS Anne facing everyone.
  • Vs. Gold:
    King vs Pidgeotto: Used a leer and took a crit quick attack. Hit with horn attack but took a sand attack, then missed. But eventually I hit again and took it out. 32/66
    Thawed vs Raticate: Not much great against this one. Took a tail whip and dug underground. Dig was a OHKO.
    Secret vs Kadabra: With my weakness to psychic, and Bank’s lower strength, this is the best matchup again. Bite was a OHKO and we attacked first. Yea.
    Secret vs Charmeleon: Bubblebeam was a OHKO. I win.
  • Thawed can now cut.
  • VS. Lt. Surge:
    King vs Voltorb: More idiocy. He used an x speed after he knew he already outsped me. King eventually wins with 50/66 left.
    Thawed vs Pikachu: He got a growl off, but no matter. Raichu doesn’t have a non-electric attacking move.
    Thawed vs Raichu: He did survive the first dig, but again he couldn’t hit me. BADGE GET.
  • Thawed evolved after the battle.
lv 23,

lv 23,

lv 21,
Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Supersonic

Secret, :gyarados:
lv 22,
Splash, Tackle, Bite, Bubblebeam

Thawed, :sandslash:
lv 22,
Cut, Sand Attack, Dig, Slash

Bank, :meowth:
lv 19,
Scratch, Growl, Bite, Pay Day
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

Dreamer, :drowzee:
lv 13

Digger, :diglett:
lv 18

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Another strong part. You're doing super good so far. I see Free is still going strong.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Dear Mom,

Thanks for that wonderful food! So good heading home. And the professor’s aide had a TM for Flash for me to use. That turned out useful in the Rock Tunnel. I caught a Spearow named Chance right outside the tunnel, and a machop named Clark within the tunnel. There was a lot of difficult trainers within the tunnel, but we got through.

I’m in Lavender Town now. I’ll pay respects to Mr. Mime and then I’m headed for the mall in Celadon! So excited!

Love,
Red
  • So Free has become a darling of this thread I see. The only problem is it’s weak to everything coming up with its attacks only being psychic. I’ll leave it in for now, but I’m likely going to box it for Dreamer.
  • For now I will designate Dreamer an HM friend to flash.
  • There is a TM for Teleport?!?!? Did they think that move was good? Wait, what does z-teleport do??
  • Route 6 facing a Geodude. It used Self-Destruct! Tank survived with 15/65...Shiva, stop influencing my game!
  • Route 10 is Spearow! Caught this time and named Chance.
  • Route 9 is Rattata finally. AAAAAAAAnd knocked out to a crit scratch from Bank. Grr.
  • Rock Tunnel is...Machop! Interesting. Named Clark.
  • So being 3rd to go through Rock Tunnel on these forums has its advantages; namely I’ve been warned. I stocked up on repels. I looked ahead on Bulbapedia. Secret and Tank pushed through the tunnel with ease.
  • Looked ahead to Erika while I was at it. She doesn’t have a poison attack in blue. Which means that Free is back as actually useful in her battle. I’m sure you’re all pleased.
  • Safely in Lavender. Haven’t done the rival battle. Will head west next.
lv 26,

lv 24,

lv 24,
Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Swift

lv 26,
Splash, Dragon Rage, Bite, Bubblebeam

lv 24,
Cut, Sand Attack, Dig, Slash

Bank, :meowth:
lv 24,
Scratch, Screech, Bite, Pay Day
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

Chance, :spearow:
lv 13

Clark, :machop:
lv 15

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Dear Mom,

I woke up in Lavender and started toward Cerulean through an underground path because the guards in Saffron wouldn’t let anyone through due to being on a strike. Apparently the vending machines were empty and they were upset about that. I did manage to catch a vulpix named Foxy on Route 8. Nothing was interesting on Route 7 for me, but someone in Cerulean gave me an eevee. I named it Bill.

I did go to the game corner, but I promise I didn’t play anything. There was a little something that happened below it; but you don’t need to worry about that. Secret, the monster that came from that stupid fish at Mt. Moon, served me very well there.

I did fight Erika at the gym in town. I didn’t have much for her, but I was able to set Free up pretty well to power through the fight. Grass is an annoying type that they keep messing with statuses and causing problems. Fortunately I’ve gotten enough money now to be able to cure all of them.

There’s a snorlax blocking the way forward, so I’ll probably try and find a way to move that thing after getting a good night’s rest. They have an actual hotel here and that real bed is royally calling my name.

I hope all is well with you and Pallet Town. I hope the professor isn’t acting so strange anymore. That was weird right before I left.

Love,
Red
  • Route 8 is vulpix! Caught and named Foxy
  • Route 7 is all dupes claused. So the Eevee (named Bill) will count for this.
  • Vs Giovanni:
    Secret took out Onix and Rhydon with one bubblebeam each.
    Tried to get some exp for others vs Kangaskhan; but got scared due to comet punch. Eventually Secret had to carry that one too.
  • Bank evolved vs the lower gym trainers.
  • Got Hm for fly, but no one can learn it. :sadazurill:
  • Vs Erika:
    Free vs Victreebel: Used 3 x special and a couple x defends. Still did next to nothing to her with confusion. Eventually got an upper hand and knocked it out with 4 confusions.
    Free vs Tangela: Don’t want to disrupt my setup, so I’ll keep Free. Took 5 attacks, but she was asleep so not an issue. Have 70/81 left.
    Free vs Vileplume: Confusion did ⅔ damage without a crit all of a sudden. Guess Vileplume has way worse special. Second confusion took it out. BADGE GET!
lv 27,

lv 28,

lv 29,
Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Confusion, Swift

lv 28,
Ice Beam, Dragon Rage, Bite, Bubblebeam

lv 27,
Cut, Poison Sting, Dig, Slash

Bank, :persian:
lv 28,
Scratch, Screech, Bite, Pay Day
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

Chance, :spearow:
lv 13

Clark, :machop:
lv 15

Foxy, :vulpix:
lv 15

Bill, :eevee:
lv 25

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Wow! Free coming in clutch this update. My Butterfree never last this long. Are you plannning on evolving King?

SAF

Second Violinist
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Got Hm for fly, but no one can learn it. :sadazurill:
...but no one can learn it yet. Let's hope you'll get a flyer or two. :winkazurill:

Btw kudos to Free for soloing Erika big time 👏