Tacobowler's Generationlocke...Again

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
@Zedark, yes I am planning on evolving him. However I've added a level rule to stone/trade evolutions. Also I wanted to wait until after Erika for sure so I didn't add that weakness.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
So this section of the game is famous for being so boring and long. I can't cut it up or nothing of note would have happened. But its' so much busywork. So here's this part at least. Enjoy!

Gramps,

I hate that neighbor of ours, Red. Why did you ever give him a pokemon? And why does he keep beating me?? As you know, my Raticate died from the wounds he inflicted in our battle on the SS Anne, so I joined an organization that will give me more power. But when I went to bury Raticate, Red showed up trying to fight that organization! And not only did he destroy my team, he beat the Rockets!

I swore to get better; get stronger. I remained ahead of him all the way down to Fushia and back up Cycling road to Celedon. My spies told me he captured a doduo named Fluffy and a snorlax named Bean. Fortunately his butterfree died to that snorlax. Glad he knows what it feels like now. Also he caught a venonat named Molly.

I was called to guard the boss at an operation in Saffron, but I watched him get a hitmonchan named Jackie at the fighting dojo there. That’s not even a gym; not worth my time. But then he began plowing through us and stopping our operation. I was the last line of defense for the boss. I felt confident. I had evolved Kadabra, Charmeleon, and Pigeotto. Surely I could beat him this time. But even though I was stronger this time, he still cut through my team like butter. His doduo had become a dodrio and was way better than butterfree. And his ivysaur and nidorino had evolved too. It was a little closer, but he still won. He even destroyed the boss and we had to abandon our operation.

Why do I keep losing? What’s he doing that I’m not? Should I go slow and spend time befriending my pokemon like he does with his silly nicknames? No. Fast wins the race and pokemon are nothing but tools to achieve our goals. That’s what I’ve always believed. And that’s what will get me the ultimate victory. I just need to find the right tools.

Smell ya Later,
Gold.

My liege,

The trainer named Red continues to be stronger than Gold, but takes so long. I fear he may not complete the job in time when he’s called upon. I believe that Gold may be the one we ultimately will want. He’s not the strongest of the two, but speed matters for us here. And I think he’s strong enough.

We’ll let this play out. If Gold can complete the challenge I set before them I believe he is the choice regardless of what Red then does. He might need some reprogramming as to how he treats pokemon, but we have time on this end of the portal.

Your servant as always,
M
  • Vs Gold:
    Secret vs Pidgeotto: Ice Beam is OHKO
    Secret vs Exeggcute: Ice Beam again
    King vs Gyarados: We each used a leer. I went first with attacks. Two horn attacks took it down. I took one bite. 60/81 left.
    Bank vs Kadabra: Bite was a OHKO
    Thawed vs Charmeleon: Ember hit first for about a 5th. Dig then was a OHKO. I was pretty high levels for this fight.
  • Weird, he didn’t have his raticate.
  • Pokemon Tower is Gastly. Caught and named Casper.
  • Gosh I forgot how bad that Haunter sprite is. And Golbat. 🤢
  • Freed Cubone’s mother
  • Free did a OHKO to a crit headbutt from snorlax.
  • Caught the snorlax and named it Bean. I will count it as Lavender Town.
  • Route 16 is a doduo, only encounter not duped. And Bank got a crit on it that took it to a sliver on the first strike. Yikes! Named Fluffy.
  • Using Fluffy because a) 7 levels higher than Chance; and b) I’ve used a Fearow a little more than a Dodrio (haven’t used either much). Also I think Dodrio stronger in gen 1 than Fearow and Fearow stronger in later gens.
  • Got a super rod!
  • Gave up on Route 12 for now.
  • Route 13 is Venonat. Caught and named Molly.
  • Fluffy evolved just outside Fuschia
  • Tank evolved at 32??? Same place, clearing route 14 and 15
  • Fluffy ran through the dojo without taking a hit. Got Hitmonchan (jackie). Will count as route 6.
  • Had everyone at 36 by the rival battle at Silph (cleared everything I could before rival and Giovanni). Evolved King and taught it Earthquake.
  • Vs Gold in Silph:
    Secret vs Pidgeot: Ice beam still one hit the evolved bird.
    Fluffy vs Exeggcute: Drill Peck was a OHKO.
    Tank vs Gyarados: Razor Leaf did ⅓ with a crit; bite did the same. Poisoned it and then healed. Another Razor Leaf got a crit again and left him low enough that the poison finished it.
    Secret vs Alakazam: Confusion got a crit for just over ⅓. Dragon rage and Bite took it out with 38/128 left.
    Secret vs Charizard: heal on first turn, rage did 7. Bubblebeam was a 2 hit KO. Rival down.
  • Got the Lapras and named it Nessie. Counts as Saffron City.
  • Just like to point out that in gen 1 they could have a gift pokemon just sent to a box and didn’t require to have room in your party...why couldn’t they do that again until gen 7?
  • Vs Giovanni:
    Thawed took out the unexpected non-ground type Nidorino with Dig.
    Tried the new and improved King vs Kangaskhan. Earthquake did the job in 2 hits.
    Secret took care of the other 2.
Tank, :venusaur:
lv 36,
Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

King, :nidoking:
lv 36,
Leer, Earthquake, Horn Attack, Fury Attack

Secret, :gyarados:
lv 37,
Ice Beam, Dragon Rage, Bite, Bubblebeam

Thawed, :sandslash:
lv 36,
Cut, Swift, Dig, Slash

Bank, :persian:
lv 36,
Scratch, Screech, Bite, Pay Day

Fluffy, :dodrio:
lv 36,
Drill Peck, Growl, Fly, Fury Attack
Hard, :kakuna:
lv 7,

Luna, :zubat:
lv 8,

James, :bellsprout:
lv 12

Dreamer, :drowzee:
lv 13

Digger, :diglett:
lv 18

Chance, :spearow:
lv 13

Clark, :machop:
lv 15

Foxy, :vulpix:
lv 15

Bill, :eevee:
lv 25

Casper, :gastly:
lv 20

Bean, :snorlax:
lv 30

Molly, :venonat:
lv 26

Jackie, :hitmonchan:
lv 30

Nessie, :lapras:
lv 15
  1. Birdie, :pidgey:, lv 10. Killed by shorts guy.
  2. Free, :butterfree:, lv 29. OHKO by snorlax.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Yeh the pacing on the second half of the game isn't the best. Too bad for Free, he lasted so long. Will be interesting to see how Dotrio does, I've never even used one.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
@Zedark: You really should try a doduo/dodrio sometimes. They're really strong physical attackers. Very underrated/overshaddowed by Pidgeot!

Anyway, onward to the next update.
Dear Mom,

So I felt strong enough after stopping Team Rocket to fight the local gyms. I took on Sabrina at the Saffron gym first. Everyone said it would be really difficult, but turned out Secret was perfect for the gym. She couldn’t really touch my pokemon and I easily took home that badge. Then I flew down to Fuchsia and took on Koga. I was a little surprised at the non-poison types that his apprentice trainers had, but Thawed prevailed through it all. Once I got to him it was just a matter of Thawed and King using their ground moves to take him out.

I did take a victory lap through the Saffari Zone. There were so many pokemon there! You would have liked it. I even took four total tours! I managed to catch a nidoran female and named her queen. I also got an hm for surf and I found a set of teeth. I returned those to the warden and he gave me an hm for strength.

I’m going to go surfing tomorrow. It should be fun! Did you know they surf on a pokemon named Mantine in Alola? Isn’t that the fish my aunt found in Olivine? Anyway, maybe I’ll even see you soon.

Love,
Red
  • Went for Sabrina first. Secret took out psychic types and King took out ghosts in the underlings.
  • Vs Sabrina:
    Secret took Kadabra down to a sliver with a bite. She recovered on the turn, but it was only to ⅔ so the second bite took it out.
    Next was Mr. Mime and I got a crit on that one, but it wasn’t quite enough. A confusion was gotten off. Won, 118/138
    Next was Venomoth. I used ice beam and only took down ⅓. BUT I GOT THE FREEZE! So I healed and then used bite to finish it off.
    Finally the Alakazam. She used reflect and then psywave, so after one bite I switched to the set damage dragon rage. Then she used another reflect that failed, and then missed with another psywave. A third dragon rage took it out having done 4 damage. I was scared of that?? BADGE GET!
  • I lost a pokemon last time to the stupid psychic types in the Fuchsia gym. Still, I forgot that. Fortunately I didn’t lose someone to them this time.
  • Vs Koga:
    King missed the first earthquake and then got hit with smokescreen. But hit with the second to take out the koffing.
    Switched to Thawed for Muk to get accuracy back. Dig went first and he used minimize on the turn. I still hit though for a OHKO.
    He tried to tackle with Koffing on the dig turn and one hit was enough on it.
    Switched back to King for the Weezing. Got a crit on the earthquake for a OHKO before he moved. BADGE GET!
  • Safari Zone is a...nidoran female (really??). Caught and named it Queen. BTW, my safari zone rule is to try and catch everything. If it runs I keep going to the next encounter (I can’t run from anything myself). Keep the first and only the first that catches.
  • Taught Surf to Secret. Taught strength to King. Stopped before surfing out of Fuchsia.
lv 36,
Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

lv 38,
Leer, Earthquake, Strength, Fury Attack

lv 40,
Ice Beam, Dragon Rage, Bite, Surf

lv 38,
Cut, Swift, Dig, Slash

lv 36,
Scratch, Screech, Bite, Pay Day

lv 37,
Drill Peck, Growl, Fly, Fury Attack
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

lv 13

lv 15

lv 15

lv 25

lv 20

lv 30

lv 26

lv 30

lv 15

Queen, :nidoranf:
lv 22

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Team is looking really strong at this point. It angered me when Koga has psychic pokemon in his gym. That first high level hypno is scary.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Dear Mom,

It was good to see you and get some good cooking for a change! When I left again I traveled south and caught a Tengela named Medusa on route 21. Then I surfed south to Cinnabar Island. I got a omanyte named Lord Helix from the science lab there and a tentacool named Jelly from route 20. I stopped in Seafoam Islands and picked up a Staryu named North too.

The gym in Cinnabar was locked, so I had to go searching in a weird mansion for the key. At least I got a vulpix named Nine while I was there. Once I got the key I went to challenge Blane at the gym. He really needs to learn what moves do because his underlings used roar in my battle 3 times...and then he did too. Secret and King were able to make quick work of him.

Finally I flew over Pallet to Viridian and took on the gym there. That gym was a little more difficult, and they had a few on hit ko moves, but none of them hit and I was able to win with Tank and Secret. The leader there is a ground type trainer, did you know that? I feel like I’ve seen him before…

I’m going to head back home and begin training for the league. I’ve almost acquired my goal! But I won’t go too quickly; I will train and be ready. No sense in failing when I’m this close due to rushing ahead. Even if Gold gets to challenge them first. He’ll lose though; I hope.

Love,
Red
  • Route 21 is Tangela. Caught and named Medusa.
  • Revived the Helix Fossil into Lord Helix the Omanyte. Count it for Cerulean City.
  • Route 20 is Tentacool. Named Jelly.
  • Seafoam Islands is Staryu. Caught and named North.
  • Pokemon Mansion is Vulpix. Caught and named Nine
  • Trained a little in the mansion before the gyms.
  • Three trainers tried to use roar in the gym 🤦
  • Vs Blane:
    King used earthquake to knock out growlithe and ponyta.
    Secret used surf to knock out rapidash and arcanine. Arcanine barely took 2 hits, BUT IT USED ROAR! I get where they learned it... BADGE GET!!!
  • Vs Giovanni:
    Tank took out Ryhorn with Solar Beam. He missed with horn drill on the charging turn for a bit of a heart attack for me.
    Scared of ground and poison moves I used Secret for the rest. Surf took out Dugtrio, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking in one hit. Switched to hydro pump for the Rhydon. I missed, but he used a guard spec. I hit with the second for the KO. BADGE GET!
lv 44,
Solarbeam, Growth, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

lv 45,
Leer, Earthquake, Strength, Fury Attack

lv 46,
Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Bite, Surf

lv 45,
Cut, Swift, Dig, Slash

lv 44,
Body Slam, Screech, Bite, Pay Day

lv 45,
Drill Peck, Growl, Fly, Try Attack
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

lv 13

lv 15

lv 15

lv 25

lv 20

lv 30

lv 26

lv 30

lv 15

lv 22

Medusa, :tangela:
lv 30

Lord Helix, :omanyte:
lv 30

Jelly, :tentacool:
lv 5

North, :staryu:
lv 28

Nine, :vulpix:
lv 34

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Looks like a really solid team going into Victory Road and the E4. I'm unsure why but Giovanni's gym seems to be super easy for some reason.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
I'm trying to train up to attack victory road and it is slow going. But I'm still here, technically at least.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Take your time. Don't get impatient like I did, almost lost the run that way. I'm sure you'll do much better.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Dear Mom,

As you know, I have left now for the conclusion of my journey. I trained everyone to level 50 before stopping in for some home cooking. After your generous meal I reluctantly left for the Elite Four. When I left on my journey I wanted to get so strong and wanted nothing but battles, but now I’m not so sure. I’m going to complete the mission and take on the Elite Four, but I’m not as sure that my heart is as strong into battling. I guess this is how gym leaders come about?

I met Gold along the way and crushed his team. He claims to be so strong, and he certainly has been the strongest of anyone I’ve faced, but he’s so weak in comparison. Will no one really challenge me? The Elite Four were away for a bit, but they promised to be back this weekend. I’m going to stay here and train my team a bit more I guess. What else could I do?

With love,
Red
  • Trained everyone to 50 and Bank to 51 for slash.
  • Replaced growl on Fluffy with toxic and Fury Attack on King with Thunderbolt
  • Vs Gold:
    King took 2 attacks to beat Pidgeot, but he only used agility so no damage to me. King then one shot Rhyhorn with earthquake.
    Fluffy one shot Exeggcute.
    Tank managed to beat Gyarados after a growth and a solarbeam. He landed a dragon rage on me, which is the first damage he’s done.
    Secret used bite against Alakazam, which took 3 turns, but he only used reflect so no damage. Secret then one shot Charizard with Hydro Pump.
  • Successfully cleared Victory Road (except for the Moltres room). Will go back and get that room and the Power Plant and then train to 60 before the Elite Four next time. I also used repel through Victory Road, so no encounter yet.
lv 52,
Solarbeam, Growth, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

lv 51,
Leer, Earthquake, Strength, Thunderbolt

lv 51,

lv 50,
Cut, Swift, Dig, Slash

lv 51,
Body Slam, Screech, Slash, Pay Day

lv 51,
Drill Peck, Toxic, Fly, Try Attack
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

lv 13

lv 15

lv 15

lv 25

lv 20

lv 30

lv 26

lv 30

lv 15

lv 22

lv 30

lv 30

lv 5

lv 28

lv 34

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Your team is looking super strong going into the Elite 4. Since you're training everyone to 60 as well you should be able to defeat the E4 without many issues.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Yeah, I may stop at 55 or 57 honestly. Training is super boring, especially in Gen 1.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
I left my team at around 45 each because I really didn't want to do Gen 1 grinding. It almost lost me my run though.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
I like how everyone complains about the new games being easy when you really do have to get at least close to level for the Champions. In gen 1 you really could roll through with a 20 level deficit.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
My Liege,

This is my final report. My initial readings seem correct. The two trainers reached the Elite Four at roughly the same time, but only one seemed like he had urgency. While Red took his time and played, Gold stayed at the Pinnacle and was ready to attack the moment the Elite Four got there. His battles were fierce, and his team was strong. He easily managed to defeat the enemy, many of his pokemon out leveling even the best of the Elite Four.

As he was finishing his run, Red arrived and challenged the Elite Four again. Red’s pokemon were lower level than Gold, but he didn’t seem to mind. His Venusaur took out much of the first trainer, but got frozen and died before he could switch it back out. He easily took out the remaining trainers, barely even taking a hit.

Then came the fight. Gold vs Red. Red began with a Nidoking absolutely schooling Gold’s Pidgeot with thunderbolt. Then he threw a Persian against Gold’s Alakazam, which Alakazam was able to easy kill. Red responded with a Sandslash, which took a hit from Alakazam, but took it down nonetheless. Sandslash and Dodrio took out a Rhydon and Exeggutor pretty easily, and then Gold sent out a Gyarados. Red throw a Nidoking against it. Thunderbolt hit, but gyarados survived and threw a hydro pump. Remarkably nidoking survived. The next turn proved fatal for Gold’s gyarados. Red then used his own water snake to kill Gold’s Charizard.

Again, Red is clearly the stronger and better trainer. However I fear his lack of motivation will prove fatal. Our needs are not only significant strength, but also speed. I recommend using Gold. However, we should perhaps reprogram him to make him follow our lead.

I leave the ultimate decision to you, my Liege.

Your servant as always,
M

To my faithful knight M,

Your plan is approved.

Your Liege,
Z
  • Victory Road is Onix. Named Panic.
  • Knocked out Power Plant encounter because I forgot.
  • Trained everyone to 55. Taught sleep powder to Tank
  • Vs Lorelei:
    A bit concerned due to giant number of weaknesses to ice, but led with Tank. Used Growth 6 times, she used rest on 4 of those turns and aurora beam on other two. It did only about 1/7 damage each time. Razor Leaf took out Dewgong after that easily. Jynx finally survived a razor leaf so I used a solar beam vs Lapras, who hit with blizzard but it still wasn’t overly strong thanks to the growth. BUT I WAS FROZEN ON THE TURN. IT THEN GLITCHED. Wanting to finish the solar beam it kept going and locked me in. I couldn’t switch or heal and she koed Tank. (I’m going to count that death. Gen 1 is glitchy. I’m sure I’ve benefited from it too.
    Secret finished off Lapras with 5 bites, taking two body slams and hitting itself once. Finished at 98/197. Healed between fights.
  • Vs Bruno:
    Used ground moves vs Onixes, Used Fluffy vs the fighting types. Machamp survived, but used focus energy and died on the next hit. No damage taken.
  • Vs Agatha:
    Decided to attack the poison side with Earthquake from King. Thunderbolt hit the Golbat and got a crit for a OHKO. Everyone else died to one earthquake. No damage taken (Golbat missed with supersonic after I missed with earthquake. I don’t think it’s flying, but I went with thunderbolt next turn anyway).
  • Vs Lance:
    Secret beat Gyarados, but it took a leer. Kept it in for Dragonair anyway. Both Dragonairs died to one ice beam. Aerodactyl got a take down off but didn’t knock Secret out. Surf took Aerodactyl down and one Ice Beam ohko dragonite. Had 81/197 left. Healed.
  • Vs. Gold: (It forced battle animations on for this battle, which I kind of like. Makes it epic)
    King vs Pidgeot: thunderbolt did ⅔ and paralyzed. Then he used mirror move, which didn’t effect me because ground type. Second thunderbolt took it down.
    Bank vs Alakazam: Body slam did ⅘ damage, then it hit with psychic. And it got a crit on that that was enough to take out Bank.
    Thawed vs Alakazam: He used recover, but swift took it right back. It moved first next turn with Psychic, but didn’t get the crit. Swift finished it (67/173)
    Thawed vs Rhydon: Dig did ⅔ damage. He missed with horn drill when I was above ground. Second dig took it out.
    Fluffy vs Exeggutor: Drill Peck got a crit and took it out in one hit.
    King vs Gyarados: Got thunderbolt off first. It only did ⅚ damage though. Hydro Pump hit BUT HE LIVED WITH 4 HP!! A second thunderbolt took out Gyarados.
    Secret vs Charizard: Ace vs Ace. I hit with Hydro Pump first. I didn’t get to see what he picked to use as he was dead.
  • Blue is completed!
lv 55,
Solarbeam, Growth, Sleep Powder, Razor Leaf

lv 56,
Leer, Earthquake, Strength, Thunderbolt

lv 56,

lv 55,
Cut, Swift, Dig, Slash

lv 55,
Body Slam, Screech, Slash, Pay Day

lv 55,
Drill Peck, Toxic, Fly, Try Attack
lv 7,

lv 8,

lv 12

lv 13

lv 18

lv 13

lv 15

lv 15

lv 25

lv 20

lv 30

lv 26

lv 30

lv 15

lv 22

lv 30

lv 30

lv 5

lv 28

lv 34

Panic, :onix:
lv 39
  3. Tank, :venusaur:,lv 55, Killed by glitch vs Lorelei
  4. Bank, :persian:, lv 55, Killed by Gold’s Alakazam

SkylarAlpha

Regular Trainer
Losing Tank in that first fight... damn. The starter almost made it to the end.
And Bank dying because of a crit. Crits are the most annoying deaths in nuzlocke.

Good luck on the next part!

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Good job getting through the game with only 4 deaths. How did you find the gen 1 experience overall?

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
@Skylar: Yeah it was sad for the starter to get so close, but I think it was more frustrating that it was to such a glitch like that. But I guess that's what I get for playing Gen 1 instead of trying to find a way to play Kanto on Gen 3.
@Zedark: I find Gen 1 to be good and bad. It feels so uneven, with much of the game a cakewalk and then there will be a random trainer that threatens to wipe your team. But the nostalgia is good. My first game was Blue on the GB Color.

I have posted the thread and prologue of the HeartGold part on the forums. Check it out!