• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

That Game from Your Childhood

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
one of my favorite PS2 games when I was little was probably Night of 100 Frights... Young me had no taste in videogames.
DUUUDE the scooby doo games on the PS2 were GREAT I dont care what anyone says, I remember there was 1 I also dont remember the name of, then Scooby Doo Unmasked, then Night of 100 Frights and the latter was the only one I ever finished. Man its been ages since I even thought about those games.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy

my sisters and I played this game. so. many. times. we have inside jokes based on this game. we reference it even now, in our mid to late 20s.

oh and also Hamtaro: Ham Hams Unite and Ham Ham Heartbreak

we also had a bunch of weird computer games that we loved a lot

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
In regards to "games I remember details about but don't remember the name of", there was an SNES game that my aunts rented once that was this platformer set in a claymation type world, and you were a kid that got turned into a ball of blue clay by the villain. You had to explore these levels and use your clay powers to turn into various animals like a cat, each one with their own unique properties. I remember that in ball form your attack was a fist as big as you, and the cat could like, walk up walls.

There was also a game for the Sega Genesis that was like one of only two games my Grandma actually owned for it. (The other game being Sonic 2). It was a side scrolling shooter of sorts, where you played as a giant mecha and collected different weapon types to fight aliens. I remember being kind of scared of it as a little kid because when you started the game from the main menu the mecha made this noise and I didn't like it.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Recognizes the first one as Claymates. Actually played that game.

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
Oh dear I just remembered another game in my childhood

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone for the playstation. At least I think it was that game.

...literally the only thing I remember from that game is the troll section, and the only reason why I remember it is because I hated it sooo much.

Oh and Casper for the playstation too. I hated everything about that game.

Last edited:

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
@Deva Wow hey, that's it! It's so surreal to look at now when not being filtered through a blurry memory and childhood nostalgia. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Ah, the Harry Potter licensed games. I know for a fact I played Order of the Phoenix. I remember playing one of them before that on PC... Might have been Sorcerer's Stone. I remember trying to race Peeves, getting frustrated, and giving up in that order... At least I think I do, I was six or seven, so memory might be a little foggy.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Other than all the Humongous Entertainment, Jump Start, and Magic School Bus computer games I played every time I borrowed them from the library, I remember having. . . quite a few Yu-Gi-Oh! games. The most notable were Power of Chaos: Yugi the Destiny for the computer (which I sucked at), Duelists of the Roses for the PS2 (which I also sucked at), and Capsule Monster Coliseum, also for the PS2 (and I was actually good at it; amazing).
I worked for years to get all of the monsters in the Capsule Monster game. Gosh, the disc at this point is so scratched up that it freezes when I duel either Mai or Yami Bakura. The amount of time I put into that game is ridiculous.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Super Mario World. It was amazing. <3

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
There were some computer games (CD-Rom) that I played when I was really young. They include...

More Bugs in Boxes - CD-rom game for very young children. Learned counting, colors, patterns, etc. I liked the singing.

some Blue's Clues game with an AWESOME minigame at the end where you hit a ball (like pong) and had to hit all the blocks. Pretty sure that game has a real name and is still played. Obviously blue's clues didn't invent it.
Tonka Construction - A game all about construction vehicles. There was one part where you got to make a GIANT sandwich by clicking all the ingredients you wanted to use. There was also a demolition part where you used TNT and a wrecking ball activity. It was sick.

Of course there are lots of other games I played but these are the main CD rom games

We also had some kind of Disney - themed drawing program that let you put animated images into your artwork. I would keep adding more until the program froze.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I really loved Disney's Sandwich Stacker game when I was a kid. I used to play it on the computers at school because it didn't get blocked by the filters. xD

Other childhood favorites were the .hack// series and Kingdom Hearts. I remember restarting KH1 so many times just so I could listen to the opening song, until my mom suggested I record it, so I did. Still my favorite games to play as a kid though, and I'd love to play them again given the opportunity. I don't think I ever finished the .hack// games anyways, tbh.

I also played a lot of The Sims when I was a kid. I would spend literal hours on the game, haha.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I remember a gba Breath of Fire game I can't find anywhere, I never beat but really want to. I wanna finish it, especially because it seems to be a relatively forgotten game. I've found it a few times on ebay, but never anywhere else and I'm broke lol. But I'll get it someday!

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
I really loved Disney's Sandwich Stacker game when I was a kid. I used to play it on the computers at school because it didn't get blocked by the filters. xD

Other childhood favorites were the .hack// series and Kingdom Hearts. I remember restarting KH1 so many times just so I could listen to the opening song, until my mom suggested I record it, so I did. Still my favorite games to play as a kid though, and I'd love to play them again given the opportunity. I don't think I ever finished the .hack// games anyways, tbh.

I also played a lot of The Sims when I was a kid. I would spend literal hours on the game, haha.
I love the Kingdom Hearts opening. I think that watching the scene adds a lot to it so recording just the audio doesn't truly capture it, right? Unless you took a video haha.

Let's see... one of the first games I ever played was Paper Mario and Mario Kart: Double Dash which I was really bad at. I would play with my siblings against our babysitter.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Aside from the old Sonic games, the only games I really played in my formative gaming years were licensed games on the ps2. Those kinds of lazy tie-ins were really common back in the day, with THQ still in business and all. And there were some good ones, for sure, but then there was Nicktoons Unite, which is absolutely the worst game I've ever played.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I just remembered a Powerpuff Girls game on GB Color that I had, Bad Mojo Jojo I think!
I vividly remember this level specifically

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
It's so surreal reading through this thread and seeing people talking about games from the Gamecube and PS2 era as childhood classics. Like, I know there's a large age variance on the boards, and I know that I'm on the older side of things. But there's something about comparing formative games with people that puts the age gap into a sharper perspective than just numbers can do.

That's not a bad thing, mind. I find it fascinating, and I enjoy checking this thread out because of it. But still, I think about how my first gaming experience was playing the classic NES at my Grandma's house and it feels so bizarre how long ago that was.

Flo

Spectacular Genie Superstar
Time Zone
BST
jurassic park operation genesis was a banger

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
lol man I can remember all the games I played as a kid. It's pretty weird looking back:

This game was one of the oldest one I remember having, but I can't even be sure of that lol. Like I used to be freaked out by a lot of the game, but I loved the movie so much that I felt like I was compelled to keep playing...

Okay anyone who judges me is banned. I was a kid and I loved power rangers to death. I refuse to explain my weird life choices. I just had a lot of fun with this! I ended up fighting with my brother a lot due to both of us wanting to play the GBA at this stage of life.

Man this was the game that I probably spent the most time with as a kid. I probably replayed this like 12 times or something lol I don't even remember, but I know this was just the BEST back then

I was like 5-9 for most of these games and there were definitely a lot more, but that list would take years to compile

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
remembered the other day i played a ton of godzilla: domination for the gameboy advance