The Anime Club V.2 ♦ For The Marriland Anime Lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
I've seen High Score Girl. Pretty good when it comes to story and characters, even if the animation leaves much to be desired.
A second season titled High Score Girl II has been confirmed for a release this fall. So we'll probably get a proper conclusion.
I'm not going to lie, though, I'm not a fan of the OP theme song.

Uh, I've been watching S2 of Kuroko's Basketball as dictated by random choice bot. I saw the first season a long time ago (sometime before 2017), so the excitement of the show might have worn off a bit. I'm still enjoying it, but not as much as I did Haikyu!! and Chihayafuru.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I just finished Little Busters!, and I loved the ending. The way everything is presented is fantastic. The rest of the anime isn't as good as the last few episodes, imo. The pacing is all over the place. A few of the characters get too little time to show their story, while others, especially Haruka, get too much time. I still liked it, and I'd still recommend it, if not for the overall story alone, but I feel it isn't as good as it could have been.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Tonight's episode of Black Clover was really something. I'd had concerns for a while about the animation quality, but the story was always compelling enough so I didn't mind it. This episode (S2E12) they really pulled out all the stops. Even the dialogue scenes had more than two frames each.

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
Username: OceanMaster
Nickname: Isiac, but I'm fine you have a nickname for me :)
Favorite Character?: Tapion (DBZ)
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: Dragon Ball Z, also One Punch Man is great
Other: What is clannad btw?

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
So the season is pretty much over, and I've decided to reveal my overall scores for each of the series that finished airing. The titles will be in alphabetical order by official English title (unless there isn't an official English title, cough cough Layton cough cough).

I'll put the scores in a spoiler, although I probably won't explain them because I'm just not good at that kind of analysis thing.
A Certain Magical Index III - 5.5/10
Ace Attorney Season 2 - 6/10
Aikatsu Friends! - 7/10
BanG Dream! 2nd Season - 6.5/10
Boogiepop and Others - 7/10
Captain Tsubasa (2018) - 7/10
Date A Live III - 6/10
ENDRO! - 6/10
Forest of Piano 2 - 6.5/10
Grimms Notes The Animation - 5/10
Hinomaru Sumo - 7.5/10
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 7/10
Kakegurui×× - 7/10
Kemono Friends 2 - 5/10
Kemurikusa - 3/10
Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File - 7.5/10
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - 6/10
Mob Psycho 100 II - 9/10
Mysteria Friends - 4/10
Pastel Memories - 3.5/10
RADIANT - 5/10
Real Girl 2 - 6.5/10
Sword Art Online: Alicization - 6/10
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 8/10
The Price of Smiles - 3.5/10
The Promised Neverland - 7.5/10
The Quintessential Quintuplets - 6/10
Tsurune - 6/10
W'z - 5/10

As for stuff that finished airing before this season, I finished Kuroko's Basketball 2 and Pokémon the Series: XYZ, while I'm working on Bakemonogatari as I type this.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Just finished Promised Neverland last night. I’m really hoping for a season 2 because of spoiler reasons.

I’m going to clean up my plan to watch list a bit on Anilist since there’s no way I’ll be able to watch 256 shows.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Just finished Promised Neverland last night. I’m really hoping for a season 2 because of spoiler reasons.

I’m going to clean up my plan to watch list a bit on Anilist since there’s no way I’ll be able to watch 256 shows.
Season 2 was confirmed pretty much on the day season 1 stopped airing, so you're good there.

My planned list is just gonna exist. Obviously I won't get through everything on it (who expects me to?), but I want to watch a good chunk before I die.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I've been keeping up with the Shoenen Jump translation of Promised Neverland, and all I'll say is
I ****ing knew it

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I only saw the promo for the Promised Neverland on Toonami and I'm predicting...
...that the orphanage is actually a human farm and they're being raised as livestock, possibly food for whatever those creatures are. Or maybe they're performing human experiments to turn people into whatever those creatures are, and children with the right genes are selected as test subjects.

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
Just finished watching Fate/Zero last night. That was a whole new exercise in pain. I knew going in that it wasn't gonna be sunshine and roses, but... woof.

I feel like the only character that came out of that whole thing better off was Waver. Sure, Kiritsugu managed to build a new family, and Waver did have to watch Iskandr die and all, but as a person I believe that Waver was genuinely enriched and will probably - based solely on my observations from the show, not any kind of knowledge of the series - grow to become a more well adjusted, successful and happy person while Kiritsugu will inevitably be haunted by his failings until the day he dies, regardless of his newfound reason to live and his changed worldview.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Ooooh, Promised Neverland is coming to Toonami? Niiiiice

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
Damn I fall behind every season. I at least need to finish Kaguya and Promised Neverland but I don't know when I'll have the time

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
This season seems like it'll be. . . Okay, I guess. There are some shows that stand out to me, but not a lot.
Note: If you're wondering where Carole & Tuesday is on the following list, it's not gonne be there. I've watched Shinichiro Watanabe's other anime (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo), and I was only mildly impressed. Yes, two anime practically heralded as classics didn't interest stupid SiN. Amazing, isn't it? So even if it's Studio Bones, I feel like I won't be able to last two cours with this show.
Seems pretty hypocritical when you realize some of the other crap that's on my list, I guess.

So, yeah, here's my list for the spring 2019 season:
Afterlost (Current thoughts: Madhouse! The bad CGI is back! How could you!)
Aikatsu Friends! Kagayaki no Jewel (Current thoughts: I like it)
Ao-chan Can't Study! (Current thoughts: It's garbage)
Attack on titan S3 Part 2 (Current thoughts: Hold on, it's not even out yet.)
Bungo Stray Dogs S3 (Current thoughts: I'm hyped)
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Current thoughts: I'm intrigued)
Fairy gone (Current thoughts: Let's see where this goes)
Fruits Basket (2019) (Current thoughts: I'm hyped)
Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu (Current thoughts: I like it a lot)
Isekai Quartet (Current thoughts: It's bad)
Magmel of the Sea Blue (Current thoughts: It's extremely mediocre)
Midnight Occult Civil Servants (Current thoughts: It's just okay)
One Punch Man S2 (Current thoughts: Animation sucks, but the rest is decent)
Sarazanmai (Current thoughts: Even knowing what the director has previously worked on, all I could think was "What the heck am I watching?")
Senryu Girl (Current thoughts: I LOVE--)
The Helpful Fox Senko-san (Current thoughts: Hmm. . .)
We Never Learn: BokuBen (Current thoughts: Animation sucks, and I'm only sort of interested)
Wise Man's Grandchild (Current thoughts: I'm Isekai Trash)
YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world. (Current thoughts: This is pretty bad, and it's two cours, but whatever)

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Here’s my thoughts on what I’ve watched recently. This counts stuff from the backlog as well:

Ao-chan Can’t Study - Only laughed once in the two episodes I bothered to watch. Not the worst comedy anime I’ve seen, but definitely not a good one.

Jojo Bizzare Adventure (Part 1) - Memes and references aside, this has been a pretty fun action series! They sure did a good job of making a Dio a hatable villain.

The Quintessential Quintuplets - A bit standard for a school anime, but it’s a fun watch.

Konosuba (dub) - For a dub it’s pretty decent (compared to the subbed version).

Shiki - An interesting premise wrapped around some subpar animation.

Non Non Biyori - Despite finding Spirited Away to be very dull, I actually enjoy most slower anime. That includes this one.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
@Neb When you watched JoJo, who was your favorite character?

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Kira is the best JoJo.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Guilty Crown final score was like a 3.5/10. It was such a slippery slope of BS that the only reason I kept watching was the few characters I actually did like by that point (Tsugumi and Ayase). I can say the animation was at least decent and the soundtrack was nice (Sawano and supercell? Heck yeah!) The voice acting was also quite nice. By the time the first half was over, "My Dearest" had gone from a 6.5/10 to a 7.5/10. (Only the TV size version, though. I'm still kinda sick of the full version.)

Pandora Hearts was a 7.5/10. The first 22 episodes did a good job of adapting the available chapters, and while the final 3 episodes could've been left out, I feel it was better than having an even bigger cliffhanger than it was. The animation left a lot to be desired, but it still conveyed what it needed to, and some of the sound effects were unnecessary. The voice acting was great, though. That said, I do believe it should probably get the FMA/Fruba treatment and get some kind of full-on remake that tells the full story properly. The only issue would be trying to find a new studio, since Xebec is gone now. "Parallel Hearts" was a great opening, but only if you like songs with Yuki Kajiura's involvement. The same goes for the soundtrack.

And, Gundam Build Fighters Try is, so far (13 episodes out of 25), a 7/10. Yuuma's problems are a bit angsty and honestly kind of frustrating, but I like everything else about the show. The openings are what drew me to this particular Gundam in the first place, and they do not disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.