The Anime Club V.2 ♦ For The Marriland Anime Lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
I've finished Gundam Build Fighters Try, and while it wasn't as good as season 1, it was still an enjoyable series. I ended up sticking to a 7/10 score in the end.

Next on the list: Phi Brain Season 3. So far, after 5 episodes, it's a 5/10 (worse than the previous two seasons). We'll see how low it can go, though.

chaejoo

eats metal
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
max
Username: chaejoo
Nickname: max
Favorite Character?: pudding from tokyo mew mew
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: your lie in april
Other: never actually seen clannad

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Hey there, Chaejoo!
I much approve of your favorite anime, if that wasn't super obvious lol.

So...Sarazanmai is a thing, and proves once again that even a really good story about adolescence can't have some really REALLY weird **** in it.
The anime's overall story is really good, though, and I love the interactions between all the characters. Just be prepared for some...very weird stuff if you want to watch it.
]Like...a kappa eating a middle school boy and becoming like a body suit. Then grabbing the kid's shirkodama, which is housed in their butts.
This turns the kids into kappa so they can defeat kappa zombies in the same way. When defeated, the kids turn back, but one of their inner most desires they want to keep secret is revealed. Like one of the kids having shot a guy when he was younger to save his famiy's business. Or another kid's gay crush on kid 3. Or kid 3 cross dressing as a tv idol that his younger brother loves.
IF you can get past the really weird stuff, it is a good coming of age anime with a few nice twists and turns.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
For anyone who also procrastinates on anime, I suggest only watching series that pique your interest now rather than what you think you’ll like later.

The three main shows I’m watching:

Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu: So cute and wholesome. The excerpts I read of the manga were adorable, and the same applies to the anime.

Kaiba: This might be the best anime I’ve seen in a while. The world is fleshed out and the OP gives me chills every time.

Serial Experiments Lain: Decided to give it another shot after not being into the first two episodes. Now that I understand what’s going on, the series got a lot more creepy.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I've made it a rule for myself to only watch one major anime at a time. I'll watch a few shorter anime at a time (like Sarazanmai right now, which is honestly a fantastic anime), but I will only watch one longer anime at once. Right now that's Fruits Basket 2019.
Any time I tried watching more than one big anime at a time, I'd jump between the two, and rarely finish either one. So I have made myself not do that ever again lol.
Oh, and I am very happy Fruits Basket 2019 is a thing. I never got into the original, and I am loving this.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
I'm generally very selective about what anime I watch, I don't follow the seasonal stuff really. See my relatively short list. Recently watched Angel Beats, which I really enjoyed, makes it into the second from the top tier on my list some pages back. Also been watching Nichijou, which more or less places with the other slice of life stuff.

Attack on Titan S3 has been amazing though, holy ****. That show moves up several spaces. Weird thing is, I heard about it a lot during Season 1, but barely a peep in Seasons 2 and 3 which I found to be even better. It just got kinda forgotten it feels.

Unfortunately having trouble tracking down another thing to watch. My favorite has always been fantasy, but I'm really not into the isekai stuff that has been all the rage lately. I've heard good things about Promised Neverland here, and will check that out if that holds through to the series end, but that will be a while obviously.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Since my last post, I've watched several things:

The Kizumonogatari movies and Nisemonogatari -- I enjoyed Kizu quite a bit, while Nise's fanservice was a bit unnerving (anyone else know about the infamous toothbrush scene?), but the conversations kept me interested.

Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season -- Much like the first season, it was a pretty average war series. I don't have much to say about it, honestly.

Umineko: When They Cry -- I'm aware that it's a godawful adaptation compared to the original visual novel (which I've been stumbling through during whatever free time I have), but I couldn't resist the opening song.

Beyond the Boundary (+ I'll Be Here: Future) -- People say this series is "just okay" and had an "underwhelming ending", but I enjoyed it for what it's worth, so that's fine. And a rare time when I like the ED more than the OP. gasp The world is ending!

Claymore -- I've been slowly reading the manga for the past year or so, and the anime did a great job adapting during the first several episodes. The original, "Gecko Ending" during the last few episodes wasn't nearly as interesting as what happens in the continued manga, but it did its job for what the anime had to work with at the time.

Is the Order a Rabbit? -- Moeblob anime? Again?! Yes, I actually like these kinds of series a lot. They give me this super happy feeling that other series just don't really give me (except Senryu Girl, if we're being technical). I'm watching the second season (currently 2/3 of the way through), and it's just so adorable. My favorite character has to be Rize so far.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash -- This might be my fifth favorite Isekai anime. It would be if I hadn't seen TenSura (which Grimgar is currently duking it out with for the spot). For a 12-episode anime, the characters are well developed and the grief felt over certain events feels genuinely heartbreaking and I just AHHHH.

Other than what's in the spoiler, I've been watching seasonal shows while also trying to work my way through One Piece. (I've reached the 200 episode mark today! Hooray!)

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Seasonal stuff
Fruits Basket 2019 is amazing. I never actually got a chance to watch the original, but I love this new adaptation. 10/10
Sarazanmai has no earthy right to be as amazing as it is. I honestly love this anime. Aside from the weird ****, the story is fantastic, the characters and their interactions are fantastic, and I'm hating that it's only 11 episodes. As I've said before, there's some weird ****, but if you can get past that, you're in for a fantastic time. 9/10
Wise Man's Grandchild. This is an Isekai on fast forward. Everything is rushed. The protagonist's development, the first villain, the introduction of the side characters, all of it. I stopped watching after episode 5 because it was so damn boring. There is one interesting thing. Being "grounded" in this world means being tied up with rope and tossed into your room. That....that's intense. 4/10.
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba. It's a fairly typical demon hunter shoenen, but I like the characters, and it has a few little twists in it. Plus, the art style is great. Worth a watch, but not groundbreaking by any means. 6/10.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
Username: Wolf
Nickname: Wolf
Favorite Character?: This is a hard one, I guess Kakashi
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: changes depending on how I feel, I'm loving FoodWars right now
Other: Clannad

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
The last episode of the Promised Neverland aired and:
I'm not 100% convinced that Norman is dead. Isabella was an actual mother, it wasn't just a title. If there are mothers giving birth to all these children, there have to be fathers.
Also, the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter really left me with a lot to think about, and now I have a new perspective on it.
I said before that I thought it was about humanity, but now I believe that it's about progress, and how humanity is often contradictory to progress. It's hubris to say that they're synonymous.

This is kind of a weird tangent, but it's often believed that humans will one day leave the Earth and find a new home on some distant planet, yet in the immediate future that doesn't seem likely. Not in the direction that we're headed. The reason we even want to leave the Earth in the first place is because the planet is becoming less habitable as time goes on, and we are contributing to the problem by polluting our lakes, forests, and air. How can we say that we'll make a sustainable home on another planet if we can't even make the Earth a sustainable home? This is an immediate problem, but we all treat it like tomorrow's problem. Likewise, making a home on another planet is far off into the future, but we're treating it like it's something we need to do now, so much so that we actually know more about space than our own planet's oceans.

I believe if the ants were actually successful in taking over the world, the King would have actually made a world that was better, all things considered. In all these hypothetical depictions of colonies on other planets, I don't think I've ever seen any consideration for war between humans. Humans too often think about the individual over the collective, which is why they aren't the best candidate to be a space-faring species. Ants follow a single queen and they're experts at making colonies, so why wouldn't they be better at it?

Yet there is something about humanity that we often feel makes us special. We are a self-destructive species, but we also care about those that are less than us. That's probably why someone like Komugi has lived for so long. She was born blind, and only has a talent for a board game that has no purpose other than entertainment value. In any species that prioritized progress over everything else, someone like Komugi would have probably been left to die, as is typical of natural selection. But the king at some point realized that maybe these meaningless distractions aren't so meaningless. For a species that prioritizes progress, what would be their end goal, once they've reached the pinnacle of evolution? Would you rather spend your entire existence on improving yourself, only to die in the end, or would you rather take some breaks in between and do something that you actually enjoy?

The king died before he could reach that pinnacle of evolution, but I don't think he regetted it. I think his life was well-lived. However short it was, he found something he enjoyed, and spent the remainder of his life doing it with someone he loved.

So yeah, that's my second take on the Chimera Ant arc. More of a ramble than anything...

Zange

Drifter
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Robin, Chi
Time Zone
CST
Definitely haven't mentioned this yet, but I finished the first season of Shakugan no Shana the other day... after first starting it five years ago. (i dont know how that happened either!!)

I don't really have any major thoughts since I don't remember much of it but I enjoyed it. If I ever get around to watching the next two seasons (watch as they each take five years for me to finish lmao) I think I'll enjoy those too. For now though I'm more concerned with finishing other shows I started and immediately proceeded to forget about.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I've started watching Nisekoi to hold me over during the week, and it's...ok. It's a generic SoL. The plot is generic, save for the "10 year ago promise" thing nearly every character has, and even that's just there to keep everything together.
The one thing I will commend this anime on is
Their trap. I was genuinely fooled by the trap. Well done. And she's probably the best character in the anime, too.
I also love the slapstick in the anime. Raku's voice actor really sells a lot of really well.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
Definitely haven't mentioned this yet, but I finished the first season of Shakugan no Shana the other day... after first starting it five years ago. (i dont know how that happened either!!)

I don't really have any major thoughts since I don't remember much of it but I enjoyed it. If I ever get around to watching the next two seasons (watch as they each take five years for me to finish lmao) I think I'll enjoy those too. For now though I'm more concerned with finishing other shows I started and immediately proceeded to forget about.
Season 2 has a really slow first half but if you make it through that it is so worth it. And Season 3 is wild.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
A new season, and a bunch of new anime will start airing. What will I be watching? The list is in the spoiler below.

A Certain Scientific Accelerator
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
Astra Lost in Space
BEM
Demon Lord, Retry!
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
Dr. Stone
Ensemble Stars!
Fire Force
GRANBELM
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie?
How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?
If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II
Isekai Cheat Magician
Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san 2
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note
Magical Sempai
Symphogear XV
The Ones Within
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
Vinland Saga

After researching, I am aware that UchiMusume gets really . . . nope, in the light novels, so depending on how far the anime adapts, I will likely give it a fairly low score. Seems the light novels pull something similar to the Usagi Drop manga. What's the TV Trope again? "Squick"?
But yeah, hopefully they don't adapt too far, or put in a LOAD of filler that makes the anime much more wholesome.

The ones I expect the most from are Dr. Stone, Fire Force, El-Melloi, Symphogear, and Vinland Saga. My "underrated" pick will likely be The Ones Within.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST

I really enjoyed the first season of this but couldn't watch season 2 because they changed the voice actors and that really irritated me.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone

I really enjoyed the first season of this but couldn't watch season 2 because they changed the voice actors and that really irritated me.
Yeah, that definitely took getting used to. Some switches were less bad than others.

looks at above lists

When did anime titles start becoming entire sentences like wtf.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
looks at above lists

When did anime titles start becoming entire sentences like wtf.
Clearly you weren't around in winter 2013 when my favorite anime, "Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they?" was released.

It's been a very common practice with the volumes of light novels for the past decade or so to make the titles stupidly long.

You know about the abomination known as Oreimo? Its full title in Japan is "Ore no Imouto wa Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai." or "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute."

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Tonight's episode of Attack on Titan was great. Mikasa with bed hair is the best thing ever.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
Just started watching Future Diary, my goodness is it intense, loving it so far.

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
Switch FC
6736-1504-8698
IGN
Anne
I caught up on Fruits Basket and I'm really loving this adaptation. The first anime was good, but nowhere near as good as the manga, so I'm glad we're getting the full version of the story.

So far the only new anime I'm watching for this season is Dr. Stone and Given. Both are good so far and I'm looking forward to more episodes. They are both adaptations of manga, but I haven't read those so don't know what's gonna happen. I also just started Bungo Stray Dogs season 3 and Sarazanmai from last season. I only watched 1 episode of each and both of them were good. I'll probably binge watch them over the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.