The Anime Club V.2 ♦ For The Marriland Anime Lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
Hey guys so my husband and I are thinking about watching the Fate series but we're not sure where to start.
So my questions are, is this a good anime to watch and if so which one do we start watching first? There seems to be so much of it out there.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Given looks so damn good. I love that it's a boy band anime that's just a bunch of guys playing in a band, and it's not an idol anime, and hot damn that's a fantastic first episode. Anxiously excited to see how the thing at the start plays out. Plus, Sato is a precious bean of the highest calibur.

I've already gushed over Sarazanmai a few times, so I'm not going to go into detail about how much I love that anime again, but I will again warn that it gets really weird. But if you're already past episode 1, you should be fine.

Other than given, I've been keeping up with Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fruits Basket.
Demon Slayer is very ok. The plot is generic, the characters are generic, (Zenitsu is annoying as all hell, nearly comparable to Mineta), but the setting is interesting, the animation is fantastic, and the enemies and abilities are pretty unique. Worth a watch, for sure, but not anything spectacular.
Fruits Basket is still really good. Still highly recommend it.

Hey guys so my husband and I are thinking about watching the Fate series but we're not sure where to start.
So my questions are, is this a good anime to watch and if so which one do we start watching first? There seems to be so much of it out there.
Sorry, I've never watched the Fates series, so I have no advice to give.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Did SOMEONE mention Fate?! Because I'm the man for the job.

So, first: where to start?
The Fate series is best started, not with an anime, but with the original visual novel, Fate/stay night. It's where the series originated, and the anime adaptations don't really do it justice, since a lot of the points and inner monologue of the protagonist Shirou are cut out in favor of either action in ufotable's anime or whatever the hell happened in Studio DEEN's adaptation from 2006.

Fate/stay night has three routes that are unlocked and played in the consecutive order of Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. Naturally, none of the anime have been able to adapt all three routes accurately. (Heck, most of the anime stick to one particular route, as evidenced by such titles as Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works). All three routes are crucial to understanding any other Fate titles, particularly the likes of Fate/Zero or Fate/Apocrypha. Really, starting with the anime is only asking for at least 70% confusion on some of the details.

Ufotable (and a lot of the less experienced fans) seem to automatically recommend Fate/Zero as a starting point, but it spoils quite a lot of the plot points of the original Fate/stay night regarding Servants, Noble Phantasms, and situations that affect the major characters.

Now, the original visual novel is an eroge (erotic game, AKA there's ****** in it), but there is an online walkthrough on the Let's Play Archive website of it with the NSFW parts cut out (mostly). Or you could try to find some translation of Réalta Nua somewhere, but I find that to be incredibly difficult.

What is important is knowing that the series is composed of several "alternate timelines" where specific events have changed. Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero are the closest in relation, but Fate/Zero has been confirmed to be a "slightly different timeline" due to a plot inconsistency involving Saber's Noble Phantasm and a certain other Servant.
Fate/Apocrypha takes place in a world where a specific Servant from the Third Holy Grail War was summoned instead of another one (something that is brought up in more detail in the visual novel Fate/hollow ataraxia, which as of 2019 has no anime adaptations), and events afterward played out differently.
As for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya and Fate/Extra Last Encore, I just plain don't recommend these because they have very specific target audiences (imbeciles for the former, and people who have experienced both the game Fate/Extra and the game Fate/Extra CCC for the latter).

Basically, getting into Fate will involve a lot of reading. Like, a LOT of reading. If you want to take the foolish "Just watch Fate/Zero and nothing else route", I guess that's okay, but I will silently judge you for it.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
Did SOMEONE mention Fate?! Because I'm the man for the job.

So, first: where to start?
The Fate series is best started, not with an anime, but with the original visual novel, Fate/stay night. It's where the series originated, and the anime adaptations don't really do it justice, since a lot of the points and inner monologue of the protagonist Shirou are cut out in favor of either action in ufotable's anime or whatever the hell happened in Studio DEEN's adaptation from 2006.

Fate/stay night has three routes that are unlocked and played in the consecutive order of Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. Naturally, none of the anime have been able to adapt all three routes accurately. (Heck, most of the anime stick to one particular route, as evidenced by such titles as Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works). All three routes are crucial to understanding any other Fate titles, particularly the likes of Fate/Zero or Fate/Apocrypha. Really, starting with the anime is only asking for at least 70% confusion on some of the details.

Ufotable (and a lot of the less experienced fans) seem to automatically recommend Fate/Zero as a starting point, but it spoils quite a lot of the plot points of the original Fate/stay night regarding Servants, Noble Phantasms, and situations that affect the major characters.

Now, the original visual novel is an eroge (erotic game, AKA there's ****** in it), but there is an online walkthrough on the Let's Play Archive website of it with the NSFW parts cut out (mostly). Or you could try to find some translation of Réalta Nua somewhere, but I find that to be incredibly difficult.

What is important is knowing that the series is composed of several "alternate timelines" where specific events have changed. Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero are the closest in relation, but Fate/Zero has been confirmed to be a "slightly different timeline" due to a plot inconsistency involving Saber's Noble Phantasm and a certain other Servant.
Fate/Apocrypha takes place in a world where a specific Servant from the Third Holy Grail War was summoned instead of another one (something that is brought up in more detail in the visual novel Fate/hollow ataraxia, which as of 2019 has no anime adaptations), and events afterward played out differently.
As for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya and Fate/Extra Last Encore, I just plain don't recommend these because they have very specific target audiences (imbeciles for the former, and people who have experienced both the game Fate/Extra and the game Fate/Extra CCC for the latter).

Basically, getting into Fate will involve a lot of reading. Like, a LOT of reading. If you want to take the foolish "Just watch Fate/Zero and nothing else route", I guess that's okay, but I will silently judge you for it.
We probably wont get into it then, my husband essentially can't read and anime is something we do as a couple so we'll probably just stick to animes we can watch without reading things first

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Username: Felly
Nickname: Audra
Favorite Character?: Mireille
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: K-On!
Other: I've never actually seen Clannad before, but my favorite character is a clickable link to an image (that probs needs to be resized).

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I've been really enjoying slice of life shows like Non Non Biyori recently. They're such great mood boosters. If anybody had some reccomendations for shows in that genre, I'd love to hear them.

SergeantSunshine

Beginner Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
CST
Username: SergeantSunshine
Nickname: Cass/Sarge
Favorite Character?: Soi Fon
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: Bleach and Dragon Ball Z
Other: clannad

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Welcome to the club, Felly and Sunshine!

given is absolutely fantastic.
That is all.

Blast

大笑い
Time Zone
UTC +1
Username: Blast
Nickname: Blast
Favorite Character?: Obviously it's Natsume Kyousuke from Little Busters!
Favorite Anime Series/Movie?: Haikyuu!!
Other: Clannad <3
Please let me join because I really love anime :D

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
All right, all of the shows I'm watching this season have had at least three episodes released, so let's get to my scores so far. They may change by the end of the season, but don't count on it.

A Certain Scientific Accelerator - 7/10 (Unlike Index III, this show doesn't seem to be nearly as rushed, so the pacing is much better, and there's a lot of "Show, don't tell" in the works here. Great OP.)

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest - 5.5/10 (Apparently this adaptation is super butchered, and I can really tell. Also the CGI monsters are pretty awful, even for CGI monsters. Maybe if it had been a more well-produced adaptation, this would be closer to my top Isekai anime. The OP is awesome, at least.)

Astra Lost in Space - 7/10 (I can't put my finger on why, but this show has been really entertaining. Good OP)

BEM - 6.5/10 (I've never seen the older series for BEM, so I couldn't tell you how I feel about a reboot, but I do like the designs more in this version from what I've seen. OP is a'ight.)

Demon Lord, Retry! - 6/10 (Standard Isekai with an OP protagonist, but I do like some of the aspects of it. Reminds me a bit of that Isekai Maou anime that aired last summer, but with a bit less fanservice. Mostly. OP is great, though.)

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? - 6.5/10 (Get rid of the constant fanservice, and it'd be pretty decent for an Isekai. OP is closer to the bottom for this season, but that doesn't say much when I don't have a single OP with a rating under 6/10.)

Dr. Stone - 7/10 (I understand the appeal, but for now it's just "good" IMO. Maybe all of the new characters who are supposed to show up might change that. Who knows? OP is catchy, though.)

Ensemble Stars! - 7/10 (You probably wouldn't expect me to be interested in a male idol series based on a mobage, but you'd be surprised. OP is okay.)

Fire Force - 7/10 (Standard Shounen, I guess? But that's the kind of show that I love, along with the more creative Isekai series, so I'm on board. The OP is one of the best this year.)

Granbelm - 5/10 (Average battle royale sort of anime but with magic and mechs. It's nothing too special, I'd say. The OP is too good, though; it's almost wasted on this series.)

Hensuki - 3/10 (This show could've been good if the mood wasn't super comedic. If it was more serious in regards to how terrifying the situation would be, maybe I'd give it a higher score. But it's just fanservice and comedy, mostly. OP is all right.)

How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift? - 6/10 (An anime about exercising. I know that others have existed, but this is like the first mainstream one. Can't say I'm super thrilled about it, but it has its entertaining moments. The OP is too meme for me.)

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord - 6/10 (The show so far has been good, but I'm keeping the score at a 6 until it's over just to be safe due to what the light novels got into. OP is pretty good.)

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II - 8/10 (Currently my highest score of the season, and mostly because I just really enjoy this show and all of the mythology written into it. OP for this is the best DanMachi OP so far.)

Isekai Cheat Magician - 4.5/10 (Painfully average Isekai anime, and the worst this season, not counting YU-NO's new "arc" which just started airing. The OP rocks, though.)

Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san 2 - 7/10 (Unfortunately, Crunchyroll isn't simulcasting the show this season, so I have to resort to fansubs which have an unset release schedule, but it's still a lovable series. Not as into the OP 'cause it's too chill for my tastes.)

Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note - 7/10 (Catch me watching more Fate and absolutely loving it. The OP could use some work, though.)

Magical Sempai - 2/10 (Welcome to the bottom of the barrel for this season. Fanservice and characters that I can't say I really care too much about, hooray! At least the episodes are half the length of full-size ones, so it isn't as painful to sit through. The OP is in the bottom 10 this season.)

Symphogear XV - 7.5/10 (Symphogear is back with a new season, and I'm loving it. Also the OP absolutely slaps.)

The Ones Within - 7.5/10 (Probably my vote for most underrated show this season. Also has my favorite OP of the season.)

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - 5/10 (Don't get me wrong; it's got something for some audiences, but I'm not in those audiences. The best part about it is the mythical creature aspects, for me. OP is good.)

Vinland Saga - 7/10 (The CGI that shows up is pretty horrendous, but get past that, and it's a solid series that actually fits WIT's style. Also the OP is the second best one this season.)

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
While I was in Iowa I bought the first volume of 20th Century Boys. Just like with Monster, Naoki Urasawa absolutely nailed the suspense. Can’t recommend it enough for fans of the genre.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I've been really enjoying slice of life shows like Non Non Biyori recently. They're such great mood boosters. If anybody had some reccomendations for shows in that genre, I'd love to hear them.
Have you heard about our lord and savior, K-On?

Toonami has been showing a series called gen:LOCK, which isn't an anime but it's produced by Rooster Teeth. If they were showing Rooster Teeth productions, I would have really liked to see RWBY. I've been wanting to get into it for a while now.

Also I'm not sure what to think about Fire Force. It's almost like a group of people sat in a room and were like, "Hey, we need a new chuunibyou anime to appeal to the teens. But what should be the theme...?" and then some other guy was like "I dunno, fire fighters?" and then they ran with that. I do really like the art though, and I want to stress that just because a story is generic does not mean that it's bad.

The Promised Neverland ended a while back and to be honest it was kind of... uneventful...? I was kind of expecting a little more to happen, I guess. For most of the season, the kids weren't escaping. They were talking about escaping, and making plans, but didn't actually escape until the last episode. And I get it, the stakes are high. If they did get caught, the penalty would be severe, which is why they played it as safely as possible. I hope to see a little more if there's a season 2.

Dr. Stone is looking great. I wasn't sure about it when I saw the trailer, but the premise is intriguing and the story is looking good so far.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I've been keeping up with Dr. Stone and Demon Slayer, both of which I really like. On top of that I've been rewarding HxH heheh.

Can't wait for MHA to start up again, and I saw something saying 7 Deadly Sins has a new season soon too? Either way I'm hyped heheh.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
The Seven Deadly Sins, My Hero Academia, Chihayafuru, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Sword Art Online, Granblue Fantasy The Animation, High Score Girl, We Never Learn: BOKUBEN, RADIANT, and Psycho-Pass are all getting new seasons in fall. I probably forgot one, but yeah, it's full of sequels.

The Promised Neverland confirmed a season 2 way back when the first ended, so that'll be happening eventually.

I'd list what I'm watching in fall, but not all of the official localization titles are available yet, so it'd just be a bunch of weeb-sounding gibberish (which is how most of my anime talk sounds anyway, but that's beside the point).

I also started reading Trinity Seven again. I forgot that it actually started to take itself semi-seriously after like chapter 40-something.
I'm also reading the first volume of the Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash light novel, and I have the first volume of So I'm a Spider, So What? borrowed from the library as well.

Lastly, apparently Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS will be ending at 120 episodes? Which means there'll be a YGO drought for a while unless I watch Arc-V.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
My internet is still too slow to stream anything, so I’ll be watching blue-rays of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai 7.

On the manga side of things, I’ve been borrowing a few volumes of “Again” from the library. It’s a series from the co-creator of Yuri!! On Ice that has fantastic art. The premise is very similar to “Re-life,” but there’s enough different to make it interesting.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Demon Slayer is very ok.
I think it's time to correct this egregious error. Demon Slayer: Kimstsu No Yaiba has steadily improved with nearly every episode. The plot is still fairly generic, Zenitsu is still annoying near a Mineta level, but Tanjiro is a great MC, and the animation is absolutely stunning. The fight in episode 19 is a prime example. The way the fight is choreographed is perfect. It's, imo, one of the best animated fights I've ever seen in an anime.
If you want to know more about Demon Slayer, I recommend watching Gigguk's video about it. He encapsulates everything great about this show really well.
Also, given has fast become my favorite anime of the season. Episode 9 hurts. Big spoiler ahead. Be warned..

Warning: Implied NSFW things go on for a few seconds
Mafuyu finally singing is a great accomplishment, but hearing him sing about his boyfriend who killed himself, bearing his soul on the stage and finally getting closure hurts. I almost cried listening to this, and I am not ashamed to admit that.
Not to mention the scene after where he and Uenoyama finally kiss. I'm not usually gay kissing/love/whatever scenes, but I was so damn happy to finally see this happen.
I love given. It's so ****ing good, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
The time approaches, so I guess I'll finally list while I'll be watching in fall, or at least trying to watch.

Aikatsu on Parade!
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Assassins Pride
Azur Lane
BEASTARS
Case File No.221: Kabukicho
Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
Chihayafuru 3
CHOYOYU!: High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World!
Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Fairy gone 2nd Cour
Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia
Food Wars! The Fourth Plate
Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2
High Score Girl II
Houkago Saikoro Club (Dunno what the official English name is yet)
Kemono Michi: Rise Up
My Hero Academia 4
No Guns Life
Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
Pokémon (2019 series)
Psycho-Pass 3
RADIANT 2nd Season
Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld
The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods
Val x Love
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN 2
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun

I took a few seconds to bold the titles that I'm particularly interested in, for good reasons, or for bad.

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Since given, Demon Slayer and Fruits Basket are done, I've started up a few new/old anime.
I started Golden Time because I've always heard good things about it, and it's...ok. Tada is a great protagonist, but Koko is so Damn irritating. I get that she's supposed to be that way, but it's really really overdoing it. I'll probably keep going, but I really hope they tone her Tsundereness down.
I also started Ahiru no Sora, a basketball anime, because I'm a sucker for sports anime lol. I really liked the first episode, but it just made me want to brew a tech Kuruko's Basketball...which I probably will.
I started Ascendance of a Bookwork as well, and..wow...Urano(the person in Myne's body) is a brat. She's a young girl (likely past high school age) who is transported to a new world and in a very young child's body...but she ACTS like she's that age. I really hope this isn't her whole character, because it really hurts what should be an interesting take on the Isekai genre.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hey guys, this is gonna to be sad news, but I'm closing the club, as I'm leaving the forums.

Goodbye folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.