Wonderlocke The Avengers Initiative -- Typhlosion's X Wonderlocke

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
I definitely think you made the right call, evolving Cassie Lang when you did. The boost in stats can be an absolute lifesaver in Lockes.

Also, I call your Ramos for 'least memorable Gym Leader' and raise you one Juan.

Either way, after a rough patch, you seem to be back in business! Congrats on beating Ramos and Clemont, keep it up!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf Idk man, at least with Juan there's the story of him replacing Wallace. Ramos has...nothing whatsoever. I'll certainly continue with beating up Gym Leaders, though at what cost remains to be seen.

The second Fury sets foot outside the Gym, he gets a call from Howard saying to meet him at Lysanos Cafe. Sure thing, but there's one item of business first. In what has by this point become a tradition, Hulk is deposited, and Nebula withdrawn in his place. I expect great things from her against the Fairy-types.

At the cafe Fury is greeted by Howard Stark, of course, and Lysanos himself. After a creepy, unsettling, totally-not-villain-material rant, Lysanos gives Fury a King's Rock for his time and leaves. Apparently that was it; I'm not even sure why the professor is here because Lysanos could have just as well called me directly. He's done it before. The second Fury sets foot outside this building he gets another call. This time it's Trevor asking him to come to Route 14. In the time the call takes I could have been there already. Thanks, Trevor.

I can only assume they made Route 14 creepy as heck on purpose. The constant rain, festering grass, and abandoned playground equipment certainly achieve that effect. Trevor is waiting there along with Maria Hill, and Fury's fellow agent quickly challenges him to a battle. I actually didn't see this one coming. Her Pokémon are at the same level as Clemont's, but of course I healed after the Gym Battle and I haven't fought anyone since, so I'm fine. Rocket handles Meowstic well due to its insistence on using nothing but Disarming Voice, though it manages to get two crits in four turns. Ebony Maw handles Absol as well as ever. Hill's starter has now reached its final form, and while things may have been different if the Greninja got better rolls with Water Shuriken, Cassie Lang beats it without difficulty. The battle dialogue is really laying on the guilt for me for defeating her so many times, but what's a challenge runner gonna do?

Everybody runs off, and Fury follows their lead by heading deeper into Route 14. Pretty soon he finds a Level 30 Goomy! Okoye's Fake Out deals a full half of its health, and then Nebula's Poison Sting nearly finishes it off. Yikes, Goomy. That move has 15 power. Still, at least I'm able to catch it. Goomy like the rain, and this one's female, so it's a Parasol Lady. Wonder Trade spits out a Japanese Zigzagoon which I can't use, but when I try to return it, for the first time I get the message that a trading partner couldn't be found. Second time's the charm, though, and Fury's matched up with someone who sends him a Kecleon. That's, sigh, another Normal-type, but at least this one won't stay that way. She has Color Change...just like Natasha Romanoff's hair.

:kecleon: Obtained Black Widow the Kecleon from Route 14! :kecleon:

The rest of the Route goes by quickly. There's not a lot of game to play before the next Gym, so I go to the trouble of defeating the wild Pokémon instead of just running from them. The Scary House is...not scary, and I chuckle at the Roseli Berry tree right on the outskirts of Laverre City. There's not too much to see in the city itself either, so Fury heads to the Poké Ball Factory. Sure enough, there's a Chitauri warrior lounging around outside, but instead of challenging Fury to a battle like they normally do, he simply tells Fury to get lost. Huh? Given that my team is still on average four levels below the level cap, I had assumed I was supposed to visit the Poké Ball Factory before taking on Valerie, but maybe not.

Now's as good a time as any for Fury to pick up his Laverre City encounter. Fishing in the pond with his Good Rod yields a Level 25 Basculin.
Ebony Maw's Rock Smash does half its health, so I have to repeatedly switch between him and Nebula until Basculin wears itself down with Rocky Helmet recoil. A Dive Ball does the trick and I name the Basculin Punk Guy. Wonder Trade gives Fury a Lucario! Based on the level and moveset I can tell it's one of Korrina's, just like the one Fury traded away earlier. It's not the same one exactly, but it even has a Hasty Nature too! After a long absence, this steadfast Pokémon warrior who fights for justice has returned.

:lucario: Obtained Captain America the Lucario from Laverre City! :lucario:

The Laverre City Gym Trainers, as I've come to expect, are no joke. The first one leads with a Dedenne who Volt Switches against Ebony Maw. Strength does very little to the incoming Azumarill, so Fury needs to switch. Azumarill sets up Rain Dance as Cassie Lang comes about. Could be a problem, but whatever Water-type attacks this thing has are probably special-based. Magical Leaf pushes Azumarill to barely above red health and it retaliates with Aqua Tail. Uh-oh. A critical hit! Cassie Lang is obliterated. Rain was up and the Azumarill may well have had Huge Power, so I grant that there's a chance the crit didn't even matter. Still, from 100% HP...I don't know. Why I didn't just let Nebula take it is beyond me, but what's done is done.

Lost Cassie Lang the Florges
:florgesyellow:
"The martyr, who took on the system and paid the price."

Looks like Hulk has finally earned his permanent spot on the team. Fury exits the Gym to retrieve him before carrying on. Two of the remaining three Gym Trainers are no trouble, but the last one is tricky. Her only Pokémon is a Level 40 Aromatisse. Attract and Charm make it difficult to take any clear shots, while its Moonblast is strong enough to nearly 2HKO even Nebula. Fury does have to use one healing item to make it through the fight without any deaths. Once that's done, the team's levels range from 37 to 40, so Fury will actually have to go grind somewhere.

I start by finally cleaning up Route 6. The levels are low enough that it's no good for training, but I can assure myself I haven't missed any cool items. Since Fury can Surf now, he next explores the coastal ocean along Route 8 and Cyllage City. After beating a couple Trainers he skipped along the way, he then proceeds to Azure Bay.

The encounter is a Mantyke. Okoye's Fake Out does exactly half its health, so Fury cautiously orders an Arm Thrust. It figures that the one time I want a low number of hits, Arm Thrust would strike four times. The Mantyke faints, but I'm not that bent out of shape. This is actually the first encounter I've failed all game, so I'm doing pretty well.

Azure Bay encounter failed.

Whoever signed off on the camera angle for this place ought to be sued. In spite of not being able to see more than about three tiles in any direction, Fury manages to find all the important stuff around the bay. That includes the TM for X-Scissor, which might be handy against Olympia. After fighting a few Swimmers, a couple Sky Trainers, and a ton of Tentacool, Ebony Maw is Level 41 and everyone else is 40. Hulk replaces Sweet Scent with Body Slam, Doctor Strange learns Earth Power in place of Rock Slide, and Okoye forgets Arm Thrust in favor of Wake-Up Slap. That's it for new areas, but Fury will have to do yet more training before he's in any shape to take on Valerie.

This is where I come up with one of the stupider ideas I've had in a while. In an effort to accelerate the training, Fury flies to Lumiose City and decides to dine at Restaurant Le Yeah. This locks me into a set of four consecutive Triple Battles with no opportunity to escape or adjust my team. The act of defeating 12 high-yield Pokémon in a row catapults half of Fury's team over the level cap: Hulk and Okoye land at Level 43 while Doctor Strange is all the way up at 44. I'm not too bummed about those last two given that they're weak to Fairy, but putting Hulk out of commission may very well come back to bite me. He learned Synthesis in place of Aerial Ace, which hopefully will be cool later. Regardless, Fury gets out of there fast.

This battle will rest upon Ebony Maw, Rocket, and Nebula, so I grind all three of them safely to Level 42 on Route 14. I'd never normally bother with this move, but some inner voice tells me to replace Ebony Maw's Sand Attack with Taunt. I teach Rocket Return in place of Headbutt and do what I can to pump up his friendship, taking advantage of massages in Cyllage City and the Juice Shoppe drinks in Lumiose City. I suppose Nuzlocke Pokémon must naturally have pretty high friendship, since they never lose any to fainting, but I'll want every shred of power I can get. I'm mostly worried about Valerie's Mr. Mime, since its Psychic-type attacks will invalidate Nebula's type advantage and it has dual screens to soften my blows. Next, Fury flies to Shalour City, purchases the TM for Poison Jab, and provides a much-needed upgrade to Nebula's Poison Sting. He equips Rocket with the Silk Scarf, deposits his three overleveled Pokémon, and makes his way to the Gym.

Man, this is just...not my battle. Since Mawile only has Dark-type attacks I lead with Ebony Maw, hoping to win a battle of attrition with Rocky Helmet. Mawile begins with Iron Defense and I immediately realize the value of Taunt. After this, Mawile gets three Defense drops in a row with Crunch while Ebony Maw fails to get a drop three times in a row with Rock Smash. Thanks, RNG. Valerie goes through two Hyper Potions, and I'm forced to use a Moomoo Milk, before I give up and have Nebula come out to end it with Surf. Mawile's only at around half health then; if I had known Surf would do so much I could have led with that.

Then it's Mr. Mime. Nebula can't stay in, so I switch to Rocket, who takes a critical hit Psychic on the switch for 75% of his health. Of course. I have to use my second healing item, and Dazzling Gleam leaves Rocket with barely over half his health. Rocket's Return does 75% of Mr. Mime's health back, while it sets up a Reflect. This is mean, but in hindsight I wish it had just finished Rocket off right there. It doesn't, though, allowing Rocket to take it out with one more Return.

Last is Sylveon. I switch to Nebula, who takes around 45% of her health from Dazzling Gleam. Are you kidding me? How do these Fairy-types keep doing so much damage? Poison Jab barely does a third of Sylveon's health and I'm losing my mind. Even with Reflect up I expected that to easily 2HKO. Sylveon's Swift, meanwhile, leaves Nebula in red health. I'm not allowed any more healing items and I have nothing that can take these hits. Feeling like I really deserve a crit right now, all I can do is click Poison Jab, then watch as it doesn't crit and Nebula falls to another Dazzling Gleam.

Lost Nebula the Qwilfish
:qwilfish:
"I'll be free of these shackles soon enough, and I'll kill you, I swear."

That sucks. I loved using a Qwilfish and she would have been very nice against Wulfric. Mercifully, Reflect wears off on the turn Nebula goes down, leaving Rocket free to come in and end the battle with one more Return.

"I hope the sun is shining tomorrow... That would be reason enough to smile."

Fury obtained the Fairy Badge!

Fury isn't impressed by the TM for Dazzling Gleam. He just wants to get out. Once he does, Shauna and Trevor are waiting to pounce, explaining that they're off to visit the Poké Ball Factory. Should I warn them about the Chitauri? ...Nah, they'll figure it out soon enough. For now, Fury has to go say goodbye to Nebula and activate a replacement. Using Black Widow or Captain America would be cool, but I think the bulk and Fire-type coverage of Taserface the Numel will be handier in the long run. Now taking bets on how long Fury will be able to keep his third Fire-type alive.

:mightyena:
Ebony Maw (JPN Mightyena) ♂
Level 42, holding Rocky Helmet
Intimidate, Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

:linoone:
Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 42
Pickup, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Rock Smash
-Covet
-Cut
-Return

:vibrava:
Doctor Strange (ENG Vibrava) ♂
Level 44, holding Soft Sand
Arena Trap, Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

:hariyama:
Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 43, holding Leftovers
Guts, Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

:tropius:
Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 43, holding Sharp Beak
Solar Power, Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

:numel:
Taserface (FRE Numel) ♂
Level 17, holding Eviolite
Oblivious, Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
-Ember
-Focus Energy
-Magnitude
-Flame Burst
:whismur:
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
Soundproof, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

:raticate:
Darcy Lewis (ENG Raticate) ♀
Level 25
Guts, Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

:oddish:
Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
Chlorophyll, Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

:wurmple:
Betty Ross (ENG Wurmple) ♀
Level 5
Shield Dust, Gentle Nature (+SpD, -Def)
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

:volbeat:
Bill Foster (ENG Volbeat) ♂
Level 13
Illuminate, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

:scatterbug:
Michelle Jones (SPA Scatterbug) ♀
Level 3
Compound Eyes, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Tackle
-String Shot

:skitty:
Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
Cute Charm, Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

:bidoof:
Sharon Carter (ENG Bidoof) ♀
Level 6
Unaware, Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Tackle
-Growl

:zangoose:
Killmonger (ENG Zangoose) ♂
Level 14
Immunity, Gentle Nature (+SpD, -Def)
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

:skiddo:
JARVIS (SPA Skiddo) ♂
Level 1
Sap Sipper, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Tackle
-Growth

:kecleon:
Black Widow (ENG Kecleon) ♀
Level 25
Color Change, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

:lucario:
Captain America (ENG Lucario) ♂
Level 32
Steadfast, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Power-Up Punch
-Swords Dance
-Metal Sound
-Bone Rush
:pansage:
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
Gluttony, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick
Killed by a Moxie-boosted critical hit Headbutt from a Team Flare Grunt's Scraggy.

:butterfree:
Ned Leeds (SPA Butterfree) ♂
Level 21
Compound Eyes, Quirky Nature (neutral)
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion
Killed by a Wing Attack from a Sky Trainer's overleveled Mantyke.

:fletchinder:
Pepper Potts (FRE Fletchinder) ♀
Level 21
Flame Body, Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck
Killed by a Water Pulse from a Sky Trainer's overleveled Mantyke.

:torkoal:
Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
White Smoke, Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen
Hit herself in confusion that was inflicted by a wild Inkay.

:lombre:
FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
Own Tempo, Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam
Killed by a Belly Drum-boosted Knock Off from a Roller Skater's Hariyama.

:magikarp:
Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
Swift Swim, Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Splash
-Tackle
Killed by a switch-boosted critical hit Pursuit from a wild Absol.

Cassie Lang (ENG Florges) ♀
Level 38
Flower Veil, Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant
Killed by a critical hit Aqua Tail from a Furisode Girl's Azumarill.

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
Poison Point, Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine
Killed by a Dazzling Gleam from Valerie's Sylveon.

Shado

Not-So-New Trainer
Time Zone
EST
RIP Nebula, Qwilfish is a cool Pokemon that we unfortunately don't really get to see much of. At least you've got a few good options in your box now in case anything else bad happens.

Also, you said Ramos was the most forgettable gym leader, but I gotta nominate the next one you're gonna fight, Olympia. I only vaguely remember the design of her gym, and I forgot her name, design, and team entirely before I looked them up!

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Approves of the Juice Shoppe visit, even if only for friendship. Frequented that place a lot during past challenge runs. Cannot resist the somewhat passive Effort Value training.

Confirms Huge Power for Azumarill. Tested Huge Power Hardy Azumarill's rain-boosted Aqua Tail versus Mild Florges, both with 31 IVs and 0 EVs. One-shots 12.5% of the time, non-critical.

Rough luck on that Mawile too. Vaguely recalls a similar experience on Crunch luck. Could be mistaken, though.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Shado There is a strong case for Olympia, yes. I at least remembered Ramos's lineup of Jumpluff, Weepinbell, and Gogoat, but I had no idea what Olympia used aside from her Meowstic. And I couldn't have even told you which gender.
@Deva Hey, a fellow juice connoisseur. Lumiose City is a pretty cool place even if it's easy to get lost.

At the Poké Ball Factory, the Chitauri guard is distracted by Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor so that Fury and Maria can sneak inside. I quickly realize that I was right in thinking Fury totally could have done this job before beating the Laverre City Gym. One memorable occasion is when a Mightyena is commanded to use Swagger on Ebony Maw, and then proceeds to Roar him out on the subsequent turn. More than one Scraggy goes for High Jump Kick while Hulk is in the middle of using Fly. The grunts' Pokémon are only Level 36 or 37, and in one of the offices Fury speaks to a lady who heals his team for free. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but of all the places to put such a person, this is hardly the most urgent.

It's not long before Fury makes it to the other office, where he dispatches a Chitauri Leviathan without breaking a sweat. Even the two HYDRA scientists in charge of the mission, Bryony and Celosia, are a joke. Maria arrives just in time for a tag battle against them. Her Meowstic is only Level 37, four levels below the Liepard and Manectric we have to face, but it holds its own just fine with some help from Okoye. After kicking them out, the grateful company president bestows upon Fury not only a Big Nugget, but a Master Ball as well! I have no idea how I will use that but it's never a bad thing to have.

Taserface was being switch-trained against all the Chitauri warriors in the Poké Ball Factory, so he's up to Level 26 and has learned some decent moves when Fury strikes out onto Route 15. Fury's encounter is a Level 36 Watchog; I do a good job wearing it down into red health but stupidly forget about Rocky Helmet, so it kills itself with a Hyper Fang.

Route 15 encounter failed.

No big deal. The real problem is that Fury's team already averages Level 44 and the level cap for Olympia is only 48. Fury tries to avoid Trainers where possible, but due to the weird leaf pile mechanic around here, he manages to blunder his way into four Rangers, which I think may have been all of them. They don't mess around, either; one of them actually makes a switch, creating a far better matchup for himself by putting Hulk against a Beartic instead of a Quagsire. It's not all bad, though. The last one has a Level 41 Vileplume who's taken out by Hulk with some help from Doctor Strange, which causes the Ground/Dragon-type to reach Level 45 and evolve into Flygon! Admittedly, he was quite in need of those stat buffs. Furthermore, this causes me to notice for the first time that my entire team is composed of Hoenn Pokémon. Thanks, ORAS.

When Fury reaches the streams that crisscross the route, I realize I'm going to need a new Surf user since Nebula died. Okoye's got a decent moveset already so I have Rocket learn the HM, in place of Rock Smash. I do manage to dodge a couple Hex Maniacs along the rest of the route, though I can't avoid the last one. That turns out to be all right, because her Litwick and Duosion provide enough experience for Taserface to hit Level 33 and evolve into Camerupt! Now his nickname really makes sense, and I'm able to give him the Quick Claw in place of Eviolite. That's the last thing to do around here: Fury skips both the Lost Hotel and Route 16 since since most of his team is Level 45 by now.

I'm so excited to make it to Dendemille Town and I can tell you why in two words: Moomoo Milk. Fury loads up on three dozen of one of the most efficient healing items in the game even before he goes to the Pokémon Center. Not much else here, but that's all I need. However, the Mamoswine who's supposed to carry Fury across Route 17 is AWOL so it looks like he'll be checking out the Frost Cavern. This part of the region makes no sense to me. This place is at the same latitude as Lumiose City, Coumarine City, and Route 13, so explain to me how it's like I'm suddenly in the Arctic Circle? Fury's running around in a T-shirt and he can see his breath, but I guess that's fine.

Fury heads to the northern side of town but is halted by some familiar faces. It's Howard Stark himself as well as the Collector, but amazingly, Carina isn't with them. The professor asks if Fury remembers a time in a cafe when Lysandre told him about a Pokémon, to which I must honestly answer no. Apparently they meant Xerneas, but then Stark spends a while telling me about how all their knowledge of this Pokémon is super old and probably unreliable. That's, uh, cool? As soon as they show up, they're gone again. See...you later? Trevor runs up right after and says he's going to Frost Cavern too. It seems that's the place to be.

Across the bridge, along the trail leading to the cavern, Fury finds a Sky Trainer. Eh, why not. He leads with a Level 41 Carnivine, and although its Leaf Tornado doesn't do a ton of damage, it takes Doctor Strange three hits to kill the Carnivine in the meantime. Next is a Level 44 Swanna, which is slightly more threatening, but let's see what this thing can do. Even as a Flygon Doctor Strange doesn't have the greatest Special Defense, so I heal him up with a Moomoo Milk to full health. The Swanna uses Ice Beam for an instant knockout. To add insult to injury, the game announces it to be a critical hit. I can't believe my eyes. That's not even a level-up move for Swanna. This random nobody was dipping into the TMs.

Lost Doctor Strange the Flygon
:flygon:
"There was no other way."

That was Doctor Strange's very first battle as a Flygon. I feel sick. Hulk knows what's coming but there's nothing he can do to stop it. He actually survives the Ice Beam, at 1 HP, but as he prepares for Fly the hail damage from the overworld finishes him off.

Lost Hulk the Tropius
"We don't even know what this is."

Fury blacked out!

I should...stop challenging Sky Trainers. This is approaching the level of an existential crisis. Am I being too reckless? Am I overthinking things? Is this not a good game to Locke or am I just bad at Lockes? No use worrying about it now, I suppose. Fury has a couple decisions to make, but first, he should lay all his cards on the table.

Back on Route 15, Fury descends the stairs into the Lost Hotel and walks back and forth right in front of the entrance until he gets an encounter. It's a Level 38 Electrode, and because there's a good chance this thing will simply explode if I just leave it alone, I chuck a Quick Ball. Thankfully it works and I name the Pokémon Juggler. Fury has to retrade an Italian Wurmple before he receives a Level 27 female Absol. Not bad.

:absol: Obtained Lady Sif the Absol from the Lost Hotel! :absol:

Fury then repeats essentially the same process on Route 16, peeking just far enough onto the route to find some grass. The Level 36 Foongus is worn down by a couple Rock Slides from Taserface and caught in an Ultra Ball. I call him Scientist and Wonder Trade him for a Level 32 female Pikachu. That's neat, in addition to being small, frail, and energetic like a certain character.

:pikachu: Obtained Morgan Stark the Pikachu from Route 16! :pikachu:

Next is to trek back to Frost Cavern, where Fury enters the cavern itself and quickly finds a male Haunter. Two Surfs from Rocket and a Dusk Ball make the catch, and Super Nerd does for a nickname. Wonder Trade yields a Level 1 female Gible. Is that some kind of joke? I lose one Ground/Dragon type, who had just reached the height of his power, only to receive a super weak one? Whatever.

:gible: Obtained Ancient One the Gible from Frost Cavern! :gible:

That concludes three decent trades in a row, which is all Fury can hope to get as he ponders replacements for his team. JARVIS the Skiddo is an easy pick. Being at Level 1, he'll need some time to catch up, but he should turn into a sturdy, dependable Grass-type. Captain America, Lady Sif, and all the many Normal-types are pretty much out of the running, as cool as it might be to use some of them. I can't afford to stack more Fighting and Fairy weaknesses than I already have. This leaves Michelle Jones the Scatterbug and Morgan Stark the Pikachu as the two main options I'm considering. A Vivillon might be nice for the Anistar Gym but I think she'd overstay her welcome very fast after that. It turns out that two of Olympia's Pokémon are weak to Electric anyway, so it's time to channel the spirit of Carbon.

The very worst part of all this? Fury no longer has a single Pokémon that can use Fly.

It's the low road back to the low levels for now. Fury uses this as an opportunity to mop up the couple remaining Trainers on Route 15 as he returns to Laverre City. Taserface is just at a high enough level, 36, that he can help out. One of the Trainer battles has left him at half health when Fury encounters a wild Klefki, also at Level 36. I click Lava Plume because, come on, a Fire/Ground type has about the best type matchup possible vs a Steel/Fairy type. Fire/Ground does not provide a Dark resistance, however, which comes in the form of Foul Play. I still expect Taserface to survive that, but I can't expect him to survive the odds. A critical hit!

Lost Taserface the Camerupt
:camerupt:
"Tell him the name of the man that sealed his fate!"

This is lunacy. I know I joked about my inability to keep Fire-types alive but the RNG wasn't supposed to take that as a challenge. Wulfric is going to utterly steamroll me at this rate. Fury beelines for the safety of Laverre City, though he does manage to get several levels on JARVIS from the last Trainer on the route. He heads to the Pokémon Center to heal up and deposit yet another fallen teammate. Given that I've managed to lose two Ground-types in one day, I morbidly conclude that I might as well give Ancient One a shot too. Note in the rules that I am allowed to use a Garchomp despite its high BST. That'll be my reward for keeping it alive that long.

Heading south along Route 14, Fury takes no risks with any battles, simply having Ebony Maw run from them all. From Lumiose City Fury can figure out the best way to rebuild his squad.

Level 45, holding Rocky Helmet
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 46
-Surf
-Covet
-Cut
-Return

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45, holding Leftovers
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

:skiddo:
JARVIS (SPA Skiddo) ♂
Level 14, holding Eviolite
-Tackle
-Growth
-Razor Leaf
-Leech Seed

:pikachu:
Morgan Stark (ENG Pikachu) ♀
Level 32, holding Magnet
Static, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Double Slap
-Double Team
-Spark
-Nuzzle

:gible:
Ancient One (ENG Gible) ♀
Level 1, holding Lucky Egg
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature
-Tackle
-Sand Tomb
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Level 32
-Power-Up Punch
-Swords Dance
-Metal Sound
-Bone Rush

:absol:
Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 27
Pressure, Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Bite
-Double Team
-Slash
-Swords Dance
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick
Killed by a Moxie-boosted critical hit Headbutt from a Team Flare Grunt's Scraggy.

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Doctor Strange (ENG Flygon) ♂
Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath
Killed by a critical hit Ice Beam from a Sky Trainer's Swanna.

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis
Killed by hail damage after an Ice Beam from a Sky Trainer's Swanna.

Taserface (FRE Camerupt) ♂
Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide
Killed by a critical hit Foul Play from a wild Klefki.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Can we just take a moment to acknowledge how diabolical it is to give Swanna Ice Beam in a Sky Battle? Literally 99% of the Pokemon able to fight in that battle are weak to it. That being said, to have two Pokemon be quad weak to it is really, really bad luck.

The game hasn't been treating you well this update, but there's a silver lining: Gible is arguably the pseudolegendary that is easiest to train, getting its first evolution at level 24. In fact, I think you could have a fully evolved Garchomp before you take on Olympia. Hang in there!

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Could be a little bit recklessness. Earned a reputation as an easy game for three reasons:
1. Experience Share overleveling
2. Pokémon Amie
3. Relatively low threat during major fights (such as the Elite Four)

Do not be fooled, however. Hid most of its difficulty elsewhere: random trainers. Delivers a sucker punch to those unaware (and some that are aware). To name a few:
- Route 5 Kadabra
- Route 6 Furfrou double battle
- Reflection Cave Hawlucha
- One of the Frost Cavern double battles
- Route 21 Shell Smash Crustle (and maybe the double battle there too)
- Any battle with your rival "helping"

(Left out Sky Trainers due to never fighting them. Experienced what you did too often, even in a more casual setting. Enters most with 1-2 Pokemon. Typically counters the surprise of a trainer's lineup with a full team. Eliminates that advantage.)

Appears in more prominent places too, such as the final Lysandre battle or the bridge.

Dealt with poor type diversity most of the run, also. Never helps.

Shado

Not-So-New Trainer
Time Zone
EST
The difficulty in XY is definitely found in some pretty unexpected places. Most of the boss fights aren't particularly difficult, but certain fights like the various Brains and Brawn, or even just random trainers, are surprisingly threatening. You're past most of the Sky Trainer battles, but the ones that are left have potentially scary teams, so I'd suggest avoiding em (although you don't have anything left that can participate in a Sky Battle anyways).

On the bright side, Ancient One has the potential to be a great team member! Gible gets pretty strong pretty quickly.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf Diabolical is a good word for it. I did the math and it's more like 64%, with 70 out of 109 legal entrants being weak to Ice. Still a huge proportion.
@Deva I'm doing my best to be careful from now on, but sometimes it's just not enough. I definitely won't be challenging any more Sky Trainers.
@Shado Ancient One has been doing well so far, and I hope that will continue!

On Route 4 I use JARVIS to switch-train Ancient One for a couple levels, but ultimately Fury goes all the way back to Santalune Forest to begin raising his lowest-leveled teammate. The training isn't bad, though, and I'm able to progress quickly. Remember how I was complaining that Axew knew Dragon Rage by Level 14? Yes, well, turns out Gible learns it at Level 7.

In a routine that's unfortunately become familiar by now, Fury retraces his steps through the early portion of the game, gaining levels as he goes. Due to the strange level gap between Glittering Cave and Route 10, where the wild Pokémon jump from around 17 to around 22, Fury spends a while fishing up Luvdisc in Cyllage City. They're super easy to beat with a decent EXP yield. That's where both JARVIS and Ancient One reach Level 24, and the latter evolves into Gabite!

The Tentacool in Azure Bay, who fall to one Sand Tomb, are decent training for Ancient One, while JARVIS does very well on Route 13 with all its Ground-types. Fury stays there until the two reach Level 32 and it's JARVIS's turn to evolve, into Gogoat! Since they've reached the same level as Morgan Stark it's time to rotate her into the training regimen.

JARVIS and Ancient One end up doing quite well on Route 14 so I stay there for a while. Morgan Stark takes on the Basculin and Poliwhirl fished up in Laverre City with the Good Rod. Why anyone bothered to breed Double Slap of all things onto a Pikachu and then raise it to Level 32, only to Wonder Trade it away, is beyond me. That move is quickly replaced with Feint. I also teach her Thunderbolt in place of Double Team so she'll have a solid special attacking option. With as frail as a Pikachu is, Morgan Stark will need every scrap of damage she can dish out. I don't want to evolve her until she reaches Level 42 and learns Discharge, her last non-TM level-up move. I look forward to that solid spread move, but it's going to be tough to keep her alive that long.

Ultimately Fury grinds all three all the way to Level 44. Now is not the time to be taking chances, and I'm scared of what Frost Cavern may throw at me when the new Pokémon are noticeably weak to Ice. It's not that bad, courtesy of the Lucky Egg. Morgan Stark successfully learns Discharge at Level 42, and after she evolves into Raichu I teach her Grass Knot via TM. JARVIS and Ancient One are building up good movesets as well. Fury equips them with Miracle Seed and Eviolite respectively, while Morgan Stark has Expert Belt, and then it's finally time to move on.

Morgan Stark takes care of the Artist outside the entrance to the cave. It's always a gamble to see what moves their Pokémon have, but the Level 44 Smeargle only reveals Dazzling Gleam before going down to two Thunderbolts. The first Trainer inside Frost Cavern proper has a Level 46 Doublade, which is more than a little intimidating. Fortunately it's her only Pokémon and Ancient One beats it with two Digs. Ideally Fury will run from all the wild Pokémon here, so I just hope his own Pokémon are fast enough to make clean getaways each time.

While sliding across a patch of ice, Fury is immediately thrown into a battle against a Brains and Brawn. Damn it all. I knew about these guys and how monstrous they are, and I thought I had a strategy, but Fury didn't even get to pick his leads. Their Hariyama and Grumpig are at Level 46 and 44 respectively, equal to Fury's own Pokémon. From Rocket and Morgan Stark, I double switch on the first turn into Okoye and Ebony Maw. They take some big hits, but despite having to use both of my healing items to keep them alive, there's a chance I can get through this. It requires a lot of risk but I'm able to read their AI based on the first couple turns and the strategy I had originally devised is working. It helps that Okoye is able to avoid being 2HKOd by the Grumpig's Psyshock. She distracts the opposing Hariyama with Fake Out so Ebony Maw can weaken Grumpig with Bite. Okoye's ready to finish it with Knock Off while Ebony Maw switches to JARVIS to take the Hariyama's Low Sweep. I'm mildly surprised that Okoye is outsped by Grumpig but she has enough HP to take another Psyshock. A critical hit!

Lost Okoye the Hariyama
"Then it will be the noblest ending in history."

JARVIS comfortably tanks the incoming Low Sweep, as I planned, and kills the Hariyama next turn with Seed Bomb. Morgan Stark comes out to finish off the last bit of Grumpig's HP.

I hate this so much. Okoye saved the team so many times, and she went down still fighting to keep the others alive. Why do these critical hits always happen at the worst time? These fights are hard enough as it is. Beating those two NPCs with no deaths felt impossible when the battle began but I was so close to making it happen. Rest in peace, Okoye.

Fury uses one of his Escape Ropes (he has 15 thanks to Pickup lol) to return to Dendemille Town. Looks like the Fighting-type spot has opened up, so it's Captain America's time to shine. Everyone else is at Level 46 when Fury plunges back into Frost Cavern, and the rest of the dungeon isn't too bad. Fury is able to dodge a Black Belt and a Battle Girl, each of whom presumably has even more ludicrously strong Fighting-types. JARVIS's combo of Bulk Up and Synthesis gets to shine against a Hiker with a couple of selfdestructing Graveler. At the end of the cave, sure enough, are some Chitauri warriors. Trevor shows up to take on one of them all by himself, while Morgan Stark is able to solo the one who challenges Fury with a Golbat and a Manectric. Then it's time to face the HYDRA scientist Mable. Her Houndoom is Level 48, two levels above Ancient One, but the Gabite is actually faster and goes for Dig. Seeing the Houndoom attempt Foul Play gives me war flashbacks but Ancient One is able to take it out in one go! She grows to Level 47 in the process. As usual the Chitauri scram in a hurry, and Fury does likewise. To hell with that place.

Mamoswine is finally willing to carry Fury across Route 17. His encounter is a Level 39 Sneasel, and this thing proves very difficult to catch. The constant hail damage doesn't help but I eventually catch her and name her Skier. Fury creates a Wonder Trade chain of an English Scatterbug, an English Zigzagoon, and a French Zigzagoon before finally receiving...sigh...a Japanese Illumise. Well, that is a valid encounter. Bill Foster has a friend now.

:illumise: Obtained Ava Starr the Illumise from Route 17! :illumise:

The rest of the Route is nothing memorable. Fury sticks around for a bit to raise Captain America to Level 38. In front of the gate to Anistar City, he gets a Holo Clip message from Maria Hill challenging him to a battle in front of the Gym. A sign of the times. On the other side of the gate, Carina shows up by herself to give Fury some Repeat Balls. Uh, that's nice, I guess. Anistar City itself doesn't have a ton to offer. Fury picks up the TMs for Hidden Power and Flamethrower, both very nice, and then heads for the Gym after healing at the Pokémon Center.

The rival battle with Hill gets off to an irritating start. Rocket outspeeds Meowstic and will need three hits of Return to knock it out. I can't understand why that move still seems to be doing so little damage; I've been doing everything I can to pump up his friendship. A Special Defense drop from Meowstic's Psychic turns what would have been a three-hit KO into a two-hit KO, so Fury has to switch and let JARVIS take care of that. Ancient One then deals with Hill's new Flareon with one Dig. This is the part where Maria actually puts up a fight for a change, thanks to her Level 46 Greninja. Morgan Stark takes half her health from a Dark Pulse on the switch. I heal her with a Moomoo Milk, trusting the rival's terrible AI to throw me a bone, and it works. Greninja goes for a weak Water Shuriken, leaving Morgan Stark with enough HP to take the next one as well and fry Greninja with Thunderbolt. Last is just Absol, and despite being six levels lower, Captain America takes it out with two hits of Power-Up Punch. Piece of cake, though JARVIS hits Level 48 during the fight.

Maria heals Fury's team after the fight, so he doesn't even have to nip back to the Pokémon Center before proceeding to the Anistar Gym.

Level 46, holding Rocky Helmet
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 47
-Surf
-Covet
-Cut
-Return

:gogoat:
JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 48, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Synthesis
-Bulk Up
-Bulldoze

:raichu:
Morgan Stark (ENG Raichu) ♀
Level 47, holding Expert Belt
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

:gabite:
Ancient One (ENG Gabite) ♀
Level 47, holding Eviolite
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Rage

Level 38, holding Lucky Egg
-Power-Up Punch
-Swords Dance
-Me First
-Bone Rush
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 27
-Bite
-Double Team
-Slash
-Swords Dance

:illumise:
Ava Starr (JPN Illumise) ♀
Level 14
Oblivious, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Tackle
-Sweet Scent
-Charm
-Quick Attack
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out
Killed by a critical hit Psyshock from a Trainer's Grumpig.

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Seems like critical hits come at awful times in X/Y. Presumes that to be perception bias. Could be a product of more offensive opponents and/or less defensive teammates, though. Shrugs.

Forgot about the self-destruct trainer in there. One more mean trainer on the list.

Tough luck on the newcomer. Attempted to seed Wonder Trade with better outcomes since the previous update. Hatched multiple Hammond/Angelica :cyndaquil:, Moon Knight :cleffa:, Hawkeye :aerodactyl:, Wanda/Nova :misdreavus:, Legion :slowpoke:, and Amebid :frillish:. Tossed in several Friend Safari and other wild catches too (for speed and levels): Elihas :togepi:, Psylocke :meditite:, Layfayette/Banner :kadabra:, Toxin :muk:, Pyro :litwick:, and Magneto :magneton:. Traded a few periodically throughout the day. Proved fruitless, somewhat unsurprisingly.

Recorded the Pokemon received. Matches your team fairly well. Indicates how much tougher Wonderlockes have become since X/Y's heyday. Compounds further with all the low levels and subsequent training drudgery.
Listed the lowest evolution. Denoted higher evolutions with its smilie and amount of each in parentheses. (Example: 2 Pichu, 5 Pikachus on the 2/5 split.)

Zigzagoon :zigzagoon::linoone:: 31 (30/1 split)
Wurmple :wurmple::silcoon::dustox: 12 (9/2/1 split)
Poochyena :poochyena::mightyena:: 8 (7/1 split)
Ralts :ralts:: 7
Pichu :pichu::pikachu:: 7 (2/5 split)
Zubat :zubat:: 6
Magikarp :magikarp:: 4
Fletchling :fletchling:: 4
Weedle :weedle::kakuna:: 4 (3/1 split)
Electrike :electrike:: 4
Taillow :taillow:: 4
Riolu :riolu::lucario:: 3 (2/1 split)
Pidgey :pidgey:: 3
Froakie :froakie::greninja:: 3 (2/1 split)
Minun :minun:: 3
Nincada :nincada:: 3
Whismur :whismur:: 3
Eevee :eevee::vaporeon:: 3 (2/1 split)
Oddish :oddish::gloom:: 3 (1/2 split)
Zoroark :zoroark:: 2
Doduo :doduo:: 2
Scatterbug :scatterbug:: 2
Luvdisc :luvdisc:: 2
Wingull :wingull:: 2
Caterpie :caterpie:: 2
Machop :machop:: 2
Flabebe :flabebe:: 2
Psyduck :psyduck:: 2
Aerodactyl :aerodactyl:: 2
Cacnea :cacnea::cacturne:: 2 (1/1 split)
Honedge :honedge:: 2

Other: :voltorb: :ledyba: :combee: :surskit: :barboach: :basculin: :torkoal: :torchic: :shuppet: :duskull: :gulpin: :conkeldurr: :tangela: :lombre: :joltik: :haunter: :medicham: :aron: :spoink: :espurr: :dunsparce: :hoppip: :illumise: :skitty: :venonat: :ekans: :azelf: :lanturn: :bunnelby: :tynamo: :breloom: :mantyke: :dugtrio: :purugly: :azurill: :magnemite: :slakoth: :litleo: :chikorita: :bidoof: :garchomp: :absol: :seedot: :archen: :sneasel: :tentacool: :pansear: :amaura: :growlithe: :swablu: :delibird: :remoraid: :gligar: :charmander:

Notes:
- Two hacked Pokemon: Lucario :lucario: and Garchomp :garchomp:
- Level 50 Azelf :azelf:. Appears legitimate.
- Contracted Pokerus while catching Pyros :litwick: and Magnetos :magneton:
- Three Minun :minun:, but no Plusles :plusle:. How unusual.
- Felt like better results from late in the day (11 PM Eastern US). Cannot back that up with numbers, however.
- Eliminated one male Combee :combee: for you, if nothing else.

Wishes you luck against the upcoming slog through Team Flare (and for the Psychic Badge and especially Lysandre).

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Deva I appreciate your efforts! All I can do now is smile and take it as an extra layer of challenge.

The first of Olympia's acolytes has only a Level 46 Exeggutor. Fury switches out Captain America, and Ebony Maw takes it out with Bite despite a rather hefty Wood Hammer. This is probably not the time for switch-training, so I drop Ebony Maw directly in the lead slot and heal him with a Moomoo Milk.

The next Trainer has only a Level 46 Medicham. Are they all going to be like this? Normally the Gym Trainers are varied in the numbers and levels of their Pokémon, but not here I guess. Anyhow, I know Medicham hits like a truck, but it's been hit with Intimidate and no one else would be jazzed about switching in here. Fury orders Bite, and I watch as the Medicham casually goes first and drains 100% of Ebony Maw's HP with one High Jump Kick.

Lost Ebony Maw the Mightyena
"In all the time I have served...I have never failed."

That...ugh. Man. That may have been my fault, but I didn't know what else to do. Now Rocket is the only original Avenger left alive. Ancient One comes out and hits Dragon Claw for what appears to be exactly half of the Medicham's health while managing to survive a High Jump Kick. One more Dragon Claw ends the fight, so that Ancient One grows to Level 48 and evolves into Garchomp! She even learns Crunch into the bargain, which could make her very nice insurance against Olympia. One small silver lining, I suppose.

Fury only has to fight one more of the three remaining acolytes. Morgan Stark takes out the Gardevoir without too much trouble and grows to Level 48; the path to Olympia is clear. Of course, I can't fight her yet. If nothing else, at least Fury has Ebony Maw's replacement all ready to go. Lady Sif the Absol is only Level 27, but I expect her to do well. She and Captain America can train together. Fury returns along Routes 17 and 15 to Route 14, a place where he's quite comfortable grinding by now. It occurs to me that Captain America's moveset is quite bad for a Level 40 Pokémon, so I spend a couple Heart Scales in Dendemille Town to power him up.

The Watchog and Klefki on Route 15 give decent EXP so it isn't long before Lady Sif and Captain America reach Level 44. At that point I'm comfortable clearing out a bit of Route 16. Rocket grows to Level 48 somewhere along the way too. Lady Sif learns Future Sight, which is cool and all, but she doesn't use it a single time before replacing it with the much more useful Psycho Cut. Along with Night Slash this gives her practically the definitive moveset for an Absol. Fury stops short of taking on a duo of Mysterious Sisters, and wraps up the training session at Level 47 back on Route 15.

Captain America and Lady Sif each take on one of Olympia's two remaining Gym Trainers, a Jynx and a Reuniclus respectively. A couple minutes on Route 17 brings them both up to Level 48, on par with the level cap and the rest of the team. Morgan Stark still has her trusty Magnet, while Fury equips both Lady Sif and Ancient One with a Roseli Berry. I'm pretty sure Olympia's female Meowstic, her ace, will have a Fairy-type move. With that done, it's time to earn another Badge.

Morgan Stark blasts Olympia's Level 44 Sigilyph into oblivion with a single Thunderbolt. One down, two to go. I breathe a sigh of relief when she sends out a Level 45 Slowking next instead of going straight to her Electric-neutral ace. I'm not as happy when Thunderbolt only does 75% to Slowking and it responds with Yawn. Well, Fury won't be sticking around to waste time with that. I switch to Lady Sif as Olympia drops a Hyper Potion. Perfect. One Night Slash is all it takes to end Slowking, and to boost Morgan Stark to Level 49. Last is Meowstic. She scores a bit of chip damage with Fake Out, which is to be expected, but then goes for a weak Shadow Ball. No Fairy-type move after all? Fine by me. Night Slash almost takes it out, but not quite. Olympia uses another Hyper Potion on the next turn in exchange for a Slash. Lady Sif still has over half her health after one more Shadow Ball, while Night Slash does away with Meowstic.

"Create your own path. Let nothing get in your way. Your fate, your future."

Fury obtained the Psychic Badge!

Ah, that was nice. It feels good to have an easy, stress-free victory for a change. Right on cue, Fury receives the TM for Calm Mind from Olympia, which also reminds him to readjust the items on some of his Pokémon. With the seventh Infinity Badge in his possession, Fury needs only one more to unlock his team's greatest potential.

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 48
-Surf
-Covet
-Cut
-Return

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 48, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Synthesis
-Bulk Up
-Bulldoze

Level 49, holding Magnet
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

:garchomp:
Ancient One (ENG Garchomp) ♀
Level 48, holding Rocky Helmet
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Level 48, holding Expert Belt
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 48, holding King's Rock
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Slash
-Swords Dance
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Level 14
-Tackle
-Sweet Scent
-Charm
-Quick Attack
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out
Killed by a critical hit Psyshock from a Psychic's Grumpig.

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite
Killed by a High Jump Kick from a Psychic's Medicham.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Apologies for the big wall of text. This is all Big Important Stuff and I didn't want to split it into more than one update.

Immediately upon exiting the Gym, Fury is accosted by Maria Hill, who says something about challenging him to another battle. Wait, are you serious? Fury's almost glad to be interrupted by Lysanos on the Holo Caster, who seems to have completely lost his mind and is now spouting genuine end-of-the-world supervillain nonsense. Hill suggests we go to check out the totally-not-suspicious red café next to the central Pokémon Center of Lumiose City. Guess it's up to the 12 year olds to save the day.

I'm sick of having to go through Routes 14 and 15 to return to Lumiose City, so Fury takes this opportunity to clear the remainder of Route 16. The Mysterious Sisters I was worried about earlier turn out to have a Gardevoir and an Alakazam at Level 40; Lady Sif and Captain America take care of them quickly. When a Strength boulder blocks his path, it occurs to Fury that his designated Strength user is now dead. Rocket already knows 2 HMs, so I figure one more won't hurt him and I replace Covet. The only other thing of interest on the Route is a house where Fury completes his fishing rod collection by picking up the Super Rod.

By the time he reaches Magenta Plaza in the center of Lumiose City, Fury's Pokémon team is at Level 49 across the board. I'm not entirely sure what awaits him but that will have to do. Time to get some coffee a la Flare.

The only two people visible in the café turn out to be Chitauri in disguise. One of them has a Level 46 Scrafty, and Fury realizes how painful it's going to be to have three Fighting weaknesses and no resistances. Nonetheless, neither of them are much trouble, and they give Fury information on how to access the secret laboratory hidden behind the café.

What kind of jazzy elevator music is this? Not at all what I expected for an evil secret lab. Another thing I didn't expect was to be confronted by Lysanos so soon. He wants to test whether or not Fury is a chosen one, and so challenges him to a battle. Captain America can't risk staying in against Mienfoo. It Swords Dances while Fury switches to Ancient One, who takes it out with a single Dragon Claw. She evolved at the perfect time.

Lysanos goes for broke with his Level 49 ace, Gyarados. This is where having a Raichu would come in handy, except I'm playing on Set and I think this thing has Earthquake. Fury sends out JARVIS, which turns out to be the right call as Gyarados uses Outrage. JARVIS is a bit weak from an earlier fight so I have to heal. It becomes apparent that Outrage does just about half his HP, which is fixed by Leftovers. The second Outrage confuses it, and JARVIS is able to squeeze in a Bulk Up while Gyarados hits itself. Two Horn Leeches then finish it. Ancient One comes back out to take laughably little damage from Pyroar's Fire Blast and then oneshot it with Dig. Lysanos's last Pokémon is Murkrow, so now it's Morgan Stark's turn. She takes about 49% of her HP from Foul Play--I hate that move so much--but Static paralyzes Murkrow, and one Thunderbolt knocks it out.

Rather than being angry, Lysanos seems rather pleased that Fury beat him, and gives him leave to explore the rest of the facility. It isn't too long before Fury runs into the orange-haired HYDRA scientist, Aliana. Her Mightyena is no match for Captain America's Aura Sphere but the Level 48 Druddigon doesn't go down so easily. It avoids being taken out by two Aura Spheres; its first retaliatory Shadow Claw doesn't do too much damage, but the second one is a crit and leaves Captain America with only 20 HP. It's a good thing Fury's Pokémon is faster, and that Druddigon didn't have Sucker Punch.

Fury continues on his merry way, beating up Chitauri warriors as he goes. Lady Sif picks up some Black Glasses and learns Sucker Punch in place of Slash. I realize this leaves her rather helpless against other Dark-types, but what's done is done. The Collector and Carina are lurking in one of the side rooms, wearing the same strange costumes as at the Power Plant, but Fury's not here to fool around with them some more. Celosia and Bryony are no challenge, hardly worth mentioning.

HYDRA Scientist Mable, however, is another story. Ancient One takes out her Houndoom without breaking a sweat but finds herself face to face with a Weavile. Okay then. Captain America should do just fine here, except that he gets nailed with Low Sweep on the switch for 60% of his HP. Now I'm screwed. Morgan Stark is the only teammate not weak to Ice or Fighting, but she doesn't have the bulk to switch in. Low Sweep is definitely not an ordinary move for Weavile to have, so if the game is going to be sneaky, I'll be sneaky and look up Weavile's moveset. Turns out its only Ice move is Ice Shard, quite weak, so I'm comfortable switching in JARVIS. He takes a Night Slash and then an Ice Shard in exchange for a Bulk Up, landing at around 50% of his HP. Weavile goes for another Ice Shard and JARVIS's health drops fast. No no no, it's a crit, of course it is. JARVIS survives with exactly 5/199 HP. I may have thrown my 3DS if he died to that. Horn Leech decimates Weavile for an altogether too-close victory.

Mable forks over the Elevator Key, allowing Fury to descend further into the lab. There he finds Lysanos waiting for him, along with a familiar face behind the bars of a cell. Lysanos introduces the towering man first encountered on Route 13 as Stan Lee. Fury then listens as Stan Lee recounts the heartbreaking tale of an unnamed cartoonist.

He was a man full of big ideas; the stories he penned were full of love and heart, but also darkness at times. A bitter rivalry with the DC kingdom forced the cartoonist to abandon his original lofty ideals, stooping so low as to rip off a character called Darkseid to create the all-powerful Thanos. Thanos crushed DC, but the cartoonist couldn't live with the shame of what he'd done, and so he put his paper and pens away forever, never again to unleash their power.

Lysanos seems fully unimpressed by Stan Lee's story, determined to go directly against the man's advice. He invites Fury to follow him deeper into the facility where they meet the final HYDRA Scientist, Xerosic. Like with Mable, Xerosic's levels belie how hard this fight is. Lady Sif takes a painful X-Scissor from Crobat but is able to beat it with Psycho Cut and Sucker Punch. Then it's a Level 48 Malamar. Fearing Superpower, Fury switches to Ancient One, his strongest Pokémon. It's a good call, as Malamar does use Superpower. Malamar takes a little Rocky Helmet recoil but the damn thing has Contrary, so Ancient One's Dragon Claw does less damage than I hoped. It comes down to the wire, but Ancient One just manages to beat Malamar while in range of fainting to one more Superpower. Had it not been for the Rocky Helmet, that battle would have resulted in at least one casualty. I love that item.

Xerosic offers Fury the choice of two buttons, red and blue, one to activate and one to deactivate the ultimate weapon. Fury chooses correctly by pressing the blue button, but Xerosic insists he won't let his research go to waste and activates the ultimate weapon anyway. The horrifying scene unfolds on a monitor as the ultimate weapon levels Geosenge Town and the poisonous flower blooms once more.

Fury hustles to Geosenge Town himself. Maria Hill shows up too, offering backup. A single Chitauri warrior blocking the entrance is no trouble; the two agents descend via elevator into Team Flare's Secret HQ. They arrive in some kind of control room where, after another speech, Lysanos challenges Fury to a second fight. Blow for blow, this battle is nearly identical to the first one despite Mienfoo and Murkrow both having evolved. Still not seeming perturbed, Lysanos invites Fury and Hill deeper into the facility.

Only a few of Fury's Pokémon are being used to fight at this point; he wants to sink as much EXP as possible into whatever stands the best chance of beating a certain Mega Gyarados. Moving forward, a series of Tag Battles are instigated by pairs of Chitauri Warriors with Chitauri Leviathans. I get quite a scare when a Scrafty and a Houndoom both land crits on Ancient One on the same turn, but she tanks them like an absolute beast. Hill's Meowstic proves her worth by taking out the Scrafty with Disarming Voice and then Dig smashes the Houndoom. It's a damn good thing I get to heal between pretty much every single one of these fights. Ordinarily I might complain about something like that but honestly it's necessary.

Somewhere along the line Shauna shows up too. She's no good for fighting and won't heal any Pokémon like in Santalune Forest, but she eventually proves her worth by picking the lock leading to the extraction chamber. The pressure gets to her after that and she bolts; Hill has to go take care of her, leaving Fury to deal with four Chitauri Leviathans all on his own. Whatever. It's back to Single Battles and none of their Pokémon are above Level 50, so no big deal.

With its enemies gone, the tree before Fury suddenly morphs into a massive, glorious Pokémon accompanied by a glorious battle theme. I sit there and just listen to the music for a moment. This is necessary, as the battle itself won't last long. No better time to use the Master Ball, so Fury quickly catches Leader the Xerneas. However, it can't be traded yet, as a certain supervillain has more to say. Lysanos appears, wearing an absolutely ridiculous partial mecha suit of sorts. He rages about how he's obtained a Mjolnir Ring of his own, and isn't afraid to use it. Thus, a third, ultimate battle begins.

It starts off the same as usual, with Ancient One at Level 54 defeating Mienshao despite stomaching a crit High Jump Kick. This is the point where Lysanos usually sends out Gyarados, but apparently the added twist of Mega Evolution is shaking things up. Pyroar comes out but is swiftly silenced by Dig. Then it's Honchkrow, whose Night Slash again causes Morgan Stark to avoid yellow health by a sliver. It still can't stand up to a Thunderbolt, though.

Finally, Gyarados. Lysanos Mega Evolves it right away. If Mega Gyarados had Crunch I'd probably be 100% screwed, but thankfully I guess someone decided that would be a little too overpowering. Due to not facing Ancient One this time, Gyarados opts for Aqua Tail when JARIVS comes out. This is a clear lifesaver, as Outrage likely would have 2HKOd even with Leftovers. JARVIS is appreciating his -Def Nature less than ever. There are about five distinct moments during this duel when a crit would put JARVIS in the ground, but miraculously, they never come. The same time-honored strategy of Bulk Up + Hyper Potion + Horn Leech pays off again. Just like that, Team Flare is dead, but nothing on Fury's team is.

Lysanos isn't done. He roars in frustration. He snarls that the ultimate weapon has enough juice for one shot. He raises the gauntlet on his right hand, and snaps his fingers. Fury, Maria, and Shauna run for their lives.

A massive pulse of Stan Lee's magical, world-shaping ink is launched into the heavens. As if in slow motion, it descends, straight back down, splashing against the machine that fired it and wiping the terrible power from existence.

On the surface, there's no longer any sign of Lysanos or the ultimate weapon. The Collector and Carina, along with all four of Fury's squadmates, remark that the catastrophe is over and they can get on with their lives. Mission accomplished, apparently.

Once they leave, one more person appears before Fury. It's Stan Lee. Bringing peace to the world does not seem to have brought peace to him. He's still searching for something he once lost: his greatest creation, his most beloved ideal...

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 52
-Surf
-Strength
-Cut
-Return

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 53, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Synthesis
-Bulk Up
-Bulldoze

Level 53, holding Magnet
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

Level 54, holding Rocky Helmet
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Level 53, holding Expert Belt
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 51, holding Black Glasses
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Level 14
-Tackle
-Sweet Scent
-Charm
-Quick Attack
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Dang, losing Ebony Maw in a Psychic Gym of all places is rough. I speak from experience when I say that the Meditite line always seems to give more trouble than you'd expect. Damn you, Winstrate Vicky. And damn you too, random Anistar Gym trainer with your Medicham.

It's nice that you beat Lysandre without any deaths though! I haven't played X&Y myself, but from what I understand, that last battle is a real challenge ender.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf Beating Lysandre deathless was nice; losing Ebony Maw was not. Unfortunately, as you'll see, there are no brakes on the pain train.

It's a while before Fury is able to access the PSS again, but once he can, he takes the first opportunity to Wonder Trade Leader the Xerneas and claim his Team Flare Secret HQ encounter. What Fury receives is singularly fascinating. It's a male French Zweilous at precisely Level 59, the highest legal level for this section of the game. Furthermore, it was caught in a Premier Ball, and if that wasn't enough, it even has Pokérus! A specimen like this deserves a powerful, intimidating name.

:zweilous: Obtained Ultron the Zweilous from Team Flare Secret HQ! :zweilous:

Then it's a long trek back to Anistar City so Fury can continue his adventure like the rest of his agents. Close to the city's southeastern gate he receives a Holo Caster message from Howard Stark, challenging Fury to a battle in Couriway Town. Looks like the Professor wants a rematch, eh?

Route 18 is pretty standard--a couple of the Trainers are scary, notably a Hiker with a Revenge Stunfisk and a Black Belt with a Poison Jab Sawk--but it's nothing Fury can't handle. The encounter is a male Lairon, appropriately weakened by Rocket's Surf. Wonder Trade yields a Level 5 Japanese Totodile! That's the first starter Pokémon I've gotten all run; it's been a long time coming. I've realized that the MCU doesn't have a whole lot of water-based characters, so I'll name this guy based on his personality.

:totodile: Obtained Drax the Totodile from Route 18! :totodile:

A bit of the route actually requires Rock Smash to access. Fury realizes that he hasn't needed the move since Ebony Maw died, and so nothing on his team has it even though all six of them can learn it. It's a tough call, but he gives it to Lady Sif in place of Swords Dance. On the whole I think the boosting move is more useful than Sucker Punch, but at least Swords Dance is a TM, and the priority move has definitely saved lives once or twice. If nothing else, this lets Lady Sif do something to other Dark-types.

Rock Smash allows access to one part of Terminus Cave, though Fury won't do all of it. As always, he's keeping an eye on the level of his Pokémon vs the level cap. He only only pops into the two small side caves long enough to grab the items they hold as well as find an encounter. It's a female Graveler; fearing Self-Destruct, Fury hurriedly chucks a Quick Ball. I kind of regret just using the name Hiker, but Rangers spend a lot of time out on mountains too. Ranger the Graveler is exchanged for a female English Tentacool. These have been some good trades tonight. Nice to have Water-types again.

:tentacool: Obtained Scarlet Witch the Tentacool from Terminus Cave! :tentacool:

That's about all there is left to do here. Before he takes the last few steps into Couriway Town, however, Fury makes a pit stop to even out his team's levels since some members pulled ahead while fighting Team Flare. It turns out that Lady Sif can take on pretty much nothing here, so training her means waiting to run into Lairon and then switching to Captain America. Still, everyone who wasn't Level 54 yet was only Level 53, so it doesn't take super long.

I swear I trigger some kind of glitch when I reach Couriway Town. The Dowsing Machine lets me find a Pretty Wing in a bush near the Pokémon Center, but once Fury enters the building, heals, and exits again, he finds a second Pretty Wing hidden in the exact same spot. Weird.

Anyhow, on to the battle with Howard Stark and his Level 50 starter Pokémon. Lady Sif only needs two Psycho Cuts to beat Venusaur, who opts to use the near-useless Worry Seed. Nice. Blastoise is out next, so Fury lets JARVIS handle it; the Grass-type levels up and learns Leaf Blade! In my opinion that's the best Grass-type attack there is, so it's very welcome. Ancient One and Morgan Stark tag in and out to beat Charizard. For her part, the Garchomp gives up on the highly unreliable Dragon Rush when she levels up. All in all a very safe, easy fight.

Waterfalls at the edge of town provide the opportunity to meet a new teammate. Rocket helps capture Ninja Boy the Level 44 Lombre, who's shipped out to make room for a Ninjask. He may be another Bug-type but he can fight. I think the nickname is rather obvious.

:ninjask: Obtained Yellowjacket the Ninjask from Couriway Town! :ninjask:

Meeting new friends doesn't stop there. Fury heads over to Route 19, though before he makes it to any wild Pokémon he's stopped by a Hex Maniac. I only mention this fight because one of her Pumpkaboo uses Trick-or-Treat on Lady Sif, creating the fun type combo of Dark/Ghost. Once she's dealt with, Fury enters a patch of purple flowers which are home to a Level 46 Drapion. I'm a little worried about how strong this guy might be, but two of Rocket's Returns put him in red health and he goes into the first Ultra Ball. I know Bikers typically use Poison-types. I don't think Drapion has much to do with them, but once I picture a Drapion trying to ride a motorcycle, I can't let it go. Wonder Trading Biker the Drapion yields a Level 1 Mawile. Dang, that's a good Pokémon too. Maybe Fury's trade luck has finally shifted for good.

:mawile: Obtained Gamora the Mawile from Route 19! :mawile:

Fury will leave the marsh alone for now, so he continues around the upper portion of Route 19. A Fairy Tale Girl gives him a scare when her Azumarill nails Rocket with a Superpower, but even though the attack knocks him from full health to red health, he survives to win the duel with a second Return. I'm squeezing in a last-minute level on a couple Pokémon right before crossing the infamous bridge when I make the single stupidest decision of this whole challenge. Don't Locke on little sleep, folks. Captain America has 81% of his HP when he finds a wild Quagsire. I figure he can take whatever this Ground-type wants to dish out. Aura Sphere does around 75% of the Quagsire's health. Its Earthquake does a lot more.

Lost Captain America the Lucario
"We lost...this is the fight of our lives."

I can barely comprehend the level of idiocy I just pulled off. I would say this is the first death so far that's 100% my fault, 100% preventable. I'm so stupid! I told myself a dozen times I needed to keep Captain America alive. He was my express ticket to the Iceberg Badge. Gah. I'm going to miss using a Lucario.

What Fury is mainly looking for now in a replacement is what can beat Wulfric. Scarlet Witch and Gamora would both do a pretty good job of that, and they bring similar defensive strengths to the table, but I think Scarlet Witch could be more useful against the Elite Four. Plus, it'll take noticeably less training to get her up to Speed. So, Scarlet Witch the Tentacool joins the team at Level 25.

Fury hikes back to Route 10 to brief his new recruit. Right off the bat it comes to my attention that even with a Bold Nature, Scarlet Witch's Defense is absolute garbage. She's getting two-shot by Hawlucha six levels lower than she is. If nothing else, I'm thankful for Aurora Beam, which probably came as a DexNav move from ORAS. Progress is slow, but once Scarlet Witch has a couple levels under her belt it gets easier. She learns Barrier in favor of Wrap, which helps a bit in longer fights. It also helps, of course, when she evolves into Tentacruel at Level 30. I know that neither Route 12 nor Route 13 will be kind to her, so Fury hangs around Route 11 until she reaches Level 33. That's enough to take on the back-alley Trainers in Lumiose City, or to grind on Route 14.

It turns out that Scarlet Witch doesn't need Barrier nearly as much as I thought she might, so when the opportunity comes I have her learn Poison Jab instead. This allows her to massacre the Lombre and Floatzel that appear in the river on Route 15, so the Tentacruel grows steadily up to Level 44. She then pokes around in the Lost Hotel, beating a few Trainers there for a couple levels. Importantly, Fury picks up the Smoke Ball. I had been wondering where that was.

Scarlet Witch is taught Surf in place of Bubble Beam for the last stretch of her training, which turns out to be perfect since the hordes of Durant on Route 18 give an insane amount of EXP. In fact, everything there is pretty easy to beat, so that's where Scarlet Witch is topped off to Level 55. For reaching that milestone she gets to hold Black Sludge instead of the Lucky Egg. Fury heads back to Route 19, where a rather impressive bridge is awaiting him.

Halfway across he's hailed from behind. It's Agent Shauna, demanding a Pokémon battle of all things. I kind of forgot she knew how to fight, and I definitely forgot which Pokémon she has. First up is a Delcatty, which goes down to one Thunderbolt from Morgan Stark. Unfortunately, the fun stops there. I'm not sure Shauna was intended to be a challenge, given that her Pokémon are at Level 49, but she's critting left and right and tearing me apart. Next up is a Goodra who, after being hit with Nuzzle, slams Morgan Stark for 75% of her HP with Earthquake. So it's gonna be one of those fights, eh? She then catches JARVIS with Sludge Wave on the switch, which does 2/3 of his health with a crit. I have to heal, only to wind up in the exact same place thanks to a second crit. Nothing for it but to use my second healing item. Sludge Wave finally doesn't crit, leaving JARVIS at around 60% of his HP, but I know Bulldoze won't do much and I'm fighting a losing battle at this rate. Praying the AI will stick to its guns, I switch into Ancient One. Goodra is fully paralyzed so I don't know what would have happened. I hold my breath while Dragon Claw knocks out Goodra from almost full health. That sucked, but we're not done. Last is Chesnaught, who takes a little less than half from Dragon Claw. Its first Seed Bomb does around 30% to Ancient One, while the second is yet another crit. Thanks to that and a Spiky Shield, Ancient One is in red health by the time she finally defeats Shauna's last Pokémon. That was awful.

Trevor and Tierno show up about this time, and Fury knows they'll want battles too. I expect to be healed, but instead, Tierno gets right down to business. Are you KIDDING me? Normally XY can't get enough of throwing free healing at me, but the ONE TIME I actually wish they would cut me some slack, they don't. This game is less balanced than a drunken one-legged psychopath.

Anyhow, it's Morgan Stark at 38/154 HP up against a Talonflame. I'm not sure I'll be faster but Fury clicks Thunderbolt anyway, and luckily it's a oneshot. Scarlet Witch with her high Special Defense probably has the best chance of taking on Roserade, but she eats a critical hit Petal Dance on the switch for 70% of her HP. That's number four. Scarlet Witch heals, gets hit by Petal Dance, uses Aurora Beam for 40% of Roserade's health, gets hit by a third Petal Dance because why not, and has to heal again while Roserade hits itself in confusion. About time. Another Aurora Beam almost ends it while another successful Petal Dance knocks Scarlet Witch to 2/3 HP. A third Aurora Beam defeats the plant. Last is Tierno's Level 54 Crawdaunt. I know this thing has strong physical attacks, but Scarlet Witch at least resists Water so she is staying in. Acid Spray doesn't do much, but it's important setup while Crawdaunt Swords Dances. Surf does big damage, but Crawdaunt retaliates with a massive Night Slash that turns out to be the fifth crit of this little dance. Bold Nature or not, that's too much for Fury's newest recruit.

Lost Scarlet Witch the Tentacruel
:tentacruel:
"You took everything from me."

Fury had just obtained Scarlet Witch and she's already dead. He just spent several hours training her up and now he'll have to do it all over again. I'm absolutely furious right now. Crawdaunt is low enough on HP that Lady Sif can take it out with one Rock Smash. Two down, one to go, I guess.

Trevor does Fury the courtesy of healing up his Pokémon. That's a nice gesture but it is 100% too little, too late. Dead is dead, so Scarlet Witch can't be used for this fight. Agent Trevor leads with a Raichu of his own, so Fury sends out JARVIS to take a Nuzzle and a couple Slams, while retaliating with Bulldoze and Leaf Blade. I don't trust Morgan Stark to take the Stone Edge or Earthquake Trevor's Aerodactyl is probably packing, so Ancient One handles it instead. Sky Drop stings a bit but the Garchomp's Dragon Claw hurts more. That won't be the case against the Florges who comes out next, however. I go into Morgan Stark thinking Nuzzle would be nice, but of course it uses Misty Terrain on the switch. The second option, Thunderbolt, only does around a quarter of Florges's health, while Moonblast does well over half in return. It even gets the Special Attack drop. Fury sends out Rocket only for the same thing to happen: massive Moonblast, Special Attack drop. It can only be JARVIS to the rescue once again. Moonblast doesn't hurt him as much, though Florges scores its third Special Attack drop in a row. As a physical attacker JARVIS doesn't care about that, but it just goes to show even more of the ridiculous odds these guys have been pulling out. To my surprise Florges is faster and gets off another Moonblast, but JARVIS is still in yellow health, and a single Leaf Blade takes out the Fairy-type.

It's finally over. I'd almost rather go face Lysanos again. Shauna forks over the HM for Waterfall, which feels like very small consolation, and then everyone leaves Fury alone with his grief. Fury's had enough of grinding for now, so he'll activate another Avenger some other time.

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 56
-Surf
-Strength
-Cut
-Return

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 57, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Leaf Blade
-Bulk Up
-Bulldoze

Level 57, holding Magnet
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

Level 56, holding Rocky Helmet
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 55, holding Black Glasses
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-Rock Smash
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Level 14
-Tackle
-Sweet Scent
-Charm
-Quick Attack

:zweilous:
Ultron (FRE Zweilous) ♂
Level 59
Hustle, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Work Up
-Dragon Rush
-Body Slam
-Scary Face

:totodile:
Drax (JPN Totodile) ♂
Level 5
Torrent, Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Scratch
-Leer

:ninjask:
Yellowjacket (ENG Ninjask) ♂
Level 21
Speed Boost, Bashful Nature (neutral)
-Mud-slap
-Flash
-Fury Cutter
-Fury Swipes

:mawile:
Gamora (JPN Mawile) ♀
Level 1
Hyper Cutter, Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
-Growl
-Fairy Wind
-Astonish
-Sucker Punch
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Level 54
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush
Killed by an Earthquake from a wild Quagsire.

Scarlet Witch (ENG Tentacruel) ♀
Level 55
Liquid Ooze, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Aurora Beam
-Poison Jab
-Acid Spray
-Surf
Killed by a critical hit Night Slash from Tierno's Crawdaunt.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I know that one of the NPCs who rotates throughout the Kalos hotels will offer a trade for any of Fury's Pokémon. In the interest of considering all his options, this trade is the first thing Fury does. By now he's become proficient at running across the entire length of the Kalos region. Fury checks Camphrier, Cyllage, Ambrette, and Geosenge with no luck. Of course it would be the very last blasted hotel, but he finally tracks down the lady in Coumarine. Now, Fury already has two Pokémon in his possession which are nearly identical. Given that Bill Foster the Volbeat was already received as a result of an NPC trade, I figure it's Ava Starr the Illumise's turn to go hurtling through time and space.

:eevee:

As expected, the Maid sends back a female Eevee. Lots of potential here, so we'll call her Shuri. Of course, Shuri the Eevee can't stay with Fury long, as she herself must be Wonder Traded in accordance with the rules. Fury finds himself in the company of a Level 13 female Snubbull. I suppose that counts as an improvement on an Illumise, though still not particularly helpful. Wendy Lawson here will be on standby for now with the others.

:snubbull:

I never thought it would get to the point where I have more deaths than reserves. Fury may have just lost Scarlet Witch, but his reasoning for using a Water-type still holds, so Drax the Totodile is called out of the PC. A Calm Nature is horrendous for him, but between Surf and Ice Beam he'll have some decent special attacks to work with. Him being at Level 5 means a trip all the way back to Santalune Forest to begin grinding. Drax reaches Level 18 without incident and evolves into Croconaw on Route 6. As long as I have to do a ton of grinding, at least I can do it under these circumstances: the outsider EXP boost plus the Lucky Egg allow things to level up much faster than I could otherwise expect.

Drax is turning out to be a very solid Pokémon. He evolves into Feraligatr at Level 30 and just keeps going. The only close-to-scary moment is when a Dugtrio on Route 13 rolls a Magnitude 10, but it does less than half of Drax's health. Around Level 42 is when I get sick of Water Gun being his only Water-type attack, so Fury teaches him Surf and Waterfall via HM. Those two attacks carry Drax smoothly to Level 54, when he exchanges his Lucky Egg for an Expert Belt.

For a third time Fury steps onto Route 19. He's at last able to make it all the way across the log bridge to take the last few steps into Snowbelle City.

I really like this place. In a game full of great tracks, it has one of my favorite. Fury's finally able to complete his look by visiting the boutique and buying a pair of black chinos. He also receives the TM for Bulk Up from a Battle Girl in one of the houses, which could come in handy. What's not handy is the Gym Leader being absent, so Fury will have to go track him down on Route 20.

The first order of business is to catch something. The male Amoonguss that appears before Fury puts up quite a fight thanks to Toxic, Synthesis, and Effect Spore, but it doesn't get away. Chef, as he's named, is Wonder Traded for a Luvdisc, which presents me with a rather interesting dilemma. Fury has had a Luvdisc before, but he's never had one die, but he doesn't have a Luvdisc at the moment. I guess this is a valid encounter by dupes clause? I thought that maybe Happy Hogan had returned to Fury, but this Luvdisc is female, so maybe it's an associate of his.

:luvdisc: Obtained EDITH the Luvdisc from Route 20! :luvdisc:

Getting through the Winding Woods isn't as complicated as I remembered. Someone explain to me, though, why every single Trainer in here uses nothing but Fairy-type Pokémon? I feel like I'm back in the Laverre Gym. Against one of them Fury finally makes the connection that maybe he should take Lady Sif out of the lead slot, so of course the Hex Maniac surprises him with a Trevenant. While switching back in the Absol takes a huge Wood Hammer that leaves her at low yellow health, so I'm very thankful her Night Slash is a one-hit KO. Against another Trainer JARVIS levels up and tries to learn Milk Drink. It's a tough call to give that up, but I want to keep both Bulk Up and Bulldoze, and Horn Leech and Leaf Blade are both too valuable. Fury rustles up some decent loot in the forest including a Kasib Berry, the TM for Energy Ball, and even a Balm Mushroom before he finds the way to Pokémon Village.

As expected, this is where Fury catches up with Wulfric. The Gym Leader apologizes for his absence and returns to the Gym, but suggests that Fury spend some time with the wild Pokémon. Eh, why not? I don't think there are any Trainers here and I can run from all the wild Pokémon, so I don't have to worry about the experience points. The one Pokémon Fury doesn't run from is a Level 48 Ditto. He's not in the mood for Transform shenanigans so he catches it with a Quick Ball. I name the Ditto Player. That's not really a Trainer Class, but it goes well with Ditto's ability to take on many forms. Player has to be traded for a Spanish Lotad and a French Linoone before Fury receives an Italian Drifloon. The logic behind her name has a lot of little bits and pieces so I won't go into the details, but I think it fits well.

:drifloon: Obtained Irani Rael the Drifloon from Pokémon Village! :drifloon:

Until Fury can use Waterfall outside of battle there's not much to do here but grab a couple items, so once that's done, he returns via Winding Woods to Snowbelle City. With Drax fully caught up in levels to the rest of the team, it's time to take a look at the eighth and final Gym.

I'm a bit nervous about what some of Wulfric's acolytes may be packing. There are only four of them, though, and thanks to some poor move choices at times, none are a real struggle. I was particularly worried about running into a Mamoswine, but the one Fury finds is knocked out with three hits of Surf from Rocket. An Ace Trainer holds Fury up for quite a while with Confuse Ray from her Cryogonal and paralysis from her Jynx's Body Slam, but she's no serious threat. Once all four are beaten and they way to Wulfric is clear, Fury's team is at Level 58. Spending some more time on Route 19 ought to boost everyone to the level cap.

Going through the swamp turns out to be a great idea. None of the Trainers are too bad, not even a Double Battle against a Miltank and a Tauros.
It's probably a good thing Fury came here a few levels later than he was supposed to. He picks up a Yache Berry and the TM for Sludge Bomb, and everyone but Lady Sif hits Level 59. She's able to quickly grab a level on Route 20, so everything's good to go there. To fully prepare for the Gym Battle, Fury teaches Lady Sif X-Scissor in place of Rock Smash. That will be useful for taking on Abomasnow. To that effect he also gives her the Expert Belt and moves JARVIS's Leftovers to Drax in favor of the Yache Berry. I'm hoping I don't have to use that, but it might be the difference between life and death if something goes wrong. The last thing to do is equip Rocket with a Silk Scarf, just for the Gym battle.

Fury navigates his way once more through Wulfric's strangely colorful Gym and faces the eighth and final Gym Leader. I love this dude; he slaps his chest like some kind of gorilla when Fury challenges him. Lady Sif's X-Scissor leaves Abomasnow just above red health, but that's fine with me, because it turns out to be just enough to send Wulfric into a healing loop. He drops two Hyper Potions while Lady Sif repeatedly knocks Abomasnow back down and burns Snow Warning turns. Once the Grass-type finally goes down, Drax is switched in to take Cryogonal's Ice Beam. That's right when the hail ends, so perfect timing. Cryogonal is faster and hits Confuse Ray, but Drax safely lands Waterfall. Somewhat to my surprise, Cryogonal lives in red health, giving it a chance to use a weak Ice Beam while Drax hurts himself next turn. To my annoyance it sets up Hail again after that, but Drax snaps out of his confusion and finishes it off. Last out is Wulfric's Avalugg. I'm again surprised when it becomes apparent that Drax will need three turns of Surf to take out Avalugg, who has very bad Special Defense. Still, its Crunch doesn't do much damage back, and Drax comfortably secures the victory while growing to Level 60.

"Outstanding! I'm tough as an iceberg, but you smashed me through and through!"

Fury obtained the Iceberg Badge!

Fury has now successfully acquired all eight Infinity Badges. As if that wasn't enough, Wulfric shares with him TM13 Ice Beam, one of the best moves in the game. I think Lady Sif will do just fine with the Expert Belt, so Drax returns JARVIS's Leftovers and picks up the Splash Plate for himself. It's time for Fury to infiltrate and reclaim the final, ultimate stronghold in the game: Avengers HQ.

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 59
-Surf
-Strength
-Cut
-Return

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 59, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Leaf Blade
-Bulk Up
-Bulldoze

Level 59, holding Magnet
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

Level 59, holding Rocky Helmet
Sand Veil, Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 59, holding Expert Belt
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-X-Scissor

:feraligatr:
Drax (JPN Feraligatr) ♂
Level 60, holding Splash Plate
-Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Surf
-Waterfall
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Wendy Lawson (ENG Snubbull) ♀
Level 13
Intimidate, Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Tail Whip
-Charm
-Bite
-Lick

Ultron (FRE Zweilous) ♂
Level 59
-Work Up
-Dragon Rush
-Body Slam
-Scary Face

Level 21
-Mud-slap
-Flash
-Fury Cutter
-Fury Swipes

Gamora (JPN Mawile) ♀
Level 1
-Growl
-Fairy Wind
-Astonish
-Sucker Punch

:luvdisc:
EDITH (ENG Luvdisc) ♀
Level 15
Swift Swim, Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Charm
-Water Gun
-Agility
-Take Down

:drifloon:
Irani Rael (ITA Drifloon) ♀
Level 15
Unburden, Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Level 54
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Level 55
-Aurora Beam
-Poison Jab
-Acid Spray
-Surf

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Time for Route 21. As far as I can tell, this place was accessible before beating the Snowbelle Gym, but I didn't want to have to take it on any sooner than was absolutely necessary. The first Trainer leads with a Sableye, who's easily dispatched by Lady Sif. Next is a Crustle; Drax comes out and takes very little damage from X-Scissor. Waterfall pushes it to red health, and Crustle uses Shell Smash. That's obviously cause for concern, but based on how little the X-Scissor did, Drax should be fine. That idea goes out the window when Crustle uses a move nearly twice as strong: Rock Wrecker. Fury's newest teammate bites the dust hard.

Lost Drax the Feraligatr
"Nobody talks to my friends like that."

What a malicious combination. That was practically designed to be a pain in the ass for challenge runners. Thanks to the recharge, of course, it's an easy kill for Ancient One, but I'm still upset about losing Drax. He was hardly with Fury for any time at all, but he was invaluable during that brief span.

The main path of Route 21 is very short; beating just one more pair of Trainers in a Double Battle gets Fury all the way to Victory Road. He can go quickly back to Santalune City to start grinding something, but first, an encounter is in order. Rocket takes on the female Ursaring, who's named Expert. Wonder Trade sends Fury a Pansage first, but then a Froakie! That's not half bad to begin with, but this one even has Protean.

:froakie: Obtained Hawkeye the Froakie from Route 21! :froakie:

Another Water-type with good stats makes a strong case for being put on Fury's team, but he's already made up his mind. At this point I feel like the two biggest threats remaining in the run are Diantha's Gardevoir and Tyrantrum. Gamora the Mawile will do well against both of those. She was nearly chosen over both Scarlet Witch and Drax, and now she gets the nod. Since she's only at Level 1, Fury decides to slap the Lucky Egg on her and switch-train on Route 21.

The western portion of the route leads to an Ace Trainer. His only Pokémon is a Level 58 Chandelure which gets me very nervous. It's a good thing Ancient One resists Fire and is fast. After him comes a Veteran with a Level 59 Tyrantrum and I'm freaking out a little. That's the same level as Fury's Pokémon, for crying out loud. This fight sucks. JARVIS switches in, but gets outsped and hit with Aerial Ace. Why does this thing have Aerial Ace?! Ultimately I have to use both my healing items, and even after a Bulk Up, Bulldoze needs three turns to kill. JARVIS was nearly two-shot by Aerial Ace, and it occurs to me that something like Stone Edge or, heaven forbid, Head Smash would have done even more damage. Good riddance.

The one upside is that the EXP from those two battles pushes Gamora all the way to Level 26. Fury solves one hell of a Strength puzzle to pick up the TM for Solar Beam, then hops on his Roller Skates and heads to western Kalos to train Gamora in earnest. She reaches Level 30 on Route 11. Due to the prevalence of Ground-types, Fury can't train Gamora where he normally would on Route 14, so she struggles up to 40 mainly against the weak Grass-types on Route 16. In Dendemille Fury forks over one of his Heart Scales to teach Gamora Iron Head earlier than she would otherwise get it. I think Frost Cavern will be a good grinding spot but Steel-type coverage is practically mandatory for her to do well there.

My prediction turns out to be right, and Gamora grows all the way to Level 52 in Frost Cavern. She cleans up the two remaining NPC Trainers, both Fighting specialists, with some help from Ancient One. Fury goes to poke around in the Lost Hotel after that, but he quickly reverses that decision after a heartstopping brush with a Magneton. Gamora has bad Special Defense, she couldn't hit Magneton for much damage, and I couldn't risk fleeing due to the possibility of Magnet Pull. Only her level advantage saved her, but even so, Gamora escaped that fight with just 10HP.

Route 20 proves to be a much safer place to finish grinding, after one lucky miss that could have been very nasty. Gamora beats one Trevenant with no problem and is halfway through a second one when it shows Destiny Bond. Gamora would have waltzed right into that if the first one had used it properly. Resolved to run from the rest of the Trevenant he finds, Fury finishes Gamora's training at Level 59 without further incident. Since she has the lowest Speed by far of anyone on the team, Fury equips her with the Quick Claw.

There isn't as much of Route 21 left as I thought. One Trainer blocks the way to a move tutor's house, but his Hippowdon and Aurorus are easily dealt with by JARVIS and Gamora. Both Pokémon grow to Level 60 and learn impressive new moves: Earthquake and Play Rough, respectively. The tutor in the house offers to teach Draco Meteor; if Ancient One didn't have a -SpA Nature, Fury may have actually considered that. Could have been a nice nuke. Oh well.

Everyone is Level 60 by now. Time for Victory Road. The Ace Trainer guarding the Badge Check Gates verifies that Fury is qualified to pass, then tests his abilities in a battle. His Carbink only manages a weak Moonblast before going down to Morgan Stark. She stays out to take on Kingdra; her Thunderbolt does a good bit over half health. The returning Dragon Pulse also takes about half Morgan Stark's remaining HP. I don't think there's any risk, as one more Thunderbolt should be more than enough to take out Kingdra. I cannot explain how it manages to survive with a tiny sliver of health. For Kingdra's second Dragon Pulse, the game does not extend the same courtesy to Morgan Stark.

Lost Morgan Stark the Raichu
"I love you three thousand."

I'm so numb to the game beating me down out of absolutely nowhere that I can't even summon the energy to be upset. This is just a few more hours of grinding something all the way past Level 50. Lady Sif avenges her teammate with Sucker Punch and then takes out the Ace Trainer's own Raichu as well. He opens the way for Fury, but suddenly, we're no longer ready to proceed.

Out of everything in the PC, Fury would be an idiot not to use a Protean Froakie, so Hawkeye joins the team. He is switched-trained against wild Pokémon on Route 21 to Level 20, evolving into Frogadier in the process. Hawkeye then trains on his own in northwestern Kalos; Fury has this whole routine perfected by now. Ordinarily Route 13 would be a great place to level a Water-type, but Hawkeye's physical Defense is low enough thanks to his Hasty Nature that Fury waits until Level 30 to try going there. Once he does, it's good for a couple levels. I don't have the patience to do this without TMs, especially not when Hawkeye learns so many good ones, so Fury teaches him Ice Beam, Grass Knot, and Waterfall and proceeds to Route 14. Going back through the region with the ability to use Waterfall outside of battle has its advantages. Fury picks up a boatload of top-tier TMs: Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Dark Pulse, Psychic, and Earthquake. By the time Fury wraps that up, Hawkeye the Greninja is Level 58, so a couple minutes on Route 21 bring him completely up to speed. Hawkeye's moveset at this point is Waterfall, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, and Ice Beam; Lady Sif donates her Expert Belt to him and picks up her old Black Glasses.

Now Fury can take on Victory Road. He heals one final time at the Snowbelle Pokémon Center and stocks up on healing items, then proceeds through the impressive Badge Check Gates.

The very first Trainer has only a Level 60 Weavile. That's plenty threatening, but I take it as a good sign that I shouldn't have to face any NPC Pokémon higher than that level. Amazingly Rocket outspeeds and scores a clean 2HKO. Off to a good start. The rest of the first cavern goes equally smoothly. However, it's only when Fury randomly finds a Dusk Ball that I realize I completely forgot about the Wonderlocke encounter. I've killed four or five wild Pokémon by this point, so there's no going back.

Victory Road encounter failed.

That would have been Fury's last encounter. What you see is what you get from here on. On an opposite note to that, I find it funny how a cheery, happy-go-lucky Backpacker past the first cavern is running around with a Level 58 Haxorus. JARVIS's Bulk Up saves the day again.

The second cavern starts off with a mini heart attack. Ancient One is up against a Medicham, which admittedly is how I would prefer things to be.
Dragon Claw does well over half, but then Medicham busts out Ice Punch. Ancient One loses 196 HP but hangs on in the red. I don't know if Fury could have kept going without her, so thank goodness for those pseudo-Legendary defensive stats. There's an abnormally high quantity of Fighting-type specialists around here, so Fury's not surprised when he eventually finds a Brains and Brawn. Hawkeye and Gamora are probably my two best options against them, so Fury lines them up and takes the plunge.

The first turn goes beautifully. Fury's two Pokémon double up on the opposing Medicham with Extrasensory and Sucker Punch, and it goes down before it can move. Gallade sets up a Swords Dance, which is unfortunate but might not be the end of the world. Hawkeye's next Extrasensory does around 2/3 of the Gallade's health, so I figure all I have to worry about now is whether Gamora can go first, or live a Fighting-type attack. Apparently what I should have worried about was the Psychic-type Hawkeye being target by a Night Slash that eats up 100% of his health. A critical hit!

Lost Hawkeye the Greninja
:greninja:
"If we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it."

Gamora's Play Rough ends the fight. Hawkeye's speed and versatility would have made him incredible at the Pokémon League, but so much for that. Why is it that the newest additions seem to be the ones always dying? Fury's not taking a time-out to train up someone else halfway through Victory Road, so he makes his way out of the second cavern in charge of a squad of five.

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 61
-Surf
-Strength
-Cut
-Return

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 61, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Leaf Blade
-Bulk Up
-Earthquake

Level 61, holding Rocky Helmet
-Slash
-Dig
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 61, holding Expert Belt
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-X-Scissor

Gamora (JPN Mawile) ♀
Level 61, holding Quick Claw
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

Level 5
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Poison Sting

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

Level 3
-Tackle
-String Shot

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Wendy Lawson (ENG Snubbull) ♀
Level 13
-Tail Whip
-Charm
-Bite
-Lick

Ultron (FRE Zweilous) ♂
Level 59
-Work Up
-Dragon Rush
-Body Slam
-Scary Face

Level 21
-Mud-slap
-Flash
-Fury Cutter
-Fury Swipes

EDITH (ENG Luvdisc) ♀
Level 15
-Charm
-Water Gun
-Agility
-Take Down

Level 15
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Level 54
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Level 55
-Aurora Beam
-Poison Jab
-Acid Spray
-Surf

Drax (JPN Feraligatr) ♂
Level 60
-Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Surf
-Waterfall
Killed by a Shell Smash-boosted Rock Wrecker from an Ace Trainer's Crustle.

Level 60
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle
Killed by a Dragon Pulse from an Ace Trainer's Kingdra.

Hawkeye (JPN Greninja) ♂
Level 61
Protean, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Waterfall
-Dark Pulse
-Extrasensory
-Ice Beam
Killed by a critical hit Night Slash from a Black Belt's Gallade.

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Welcome back to the Wonderlocke. Have f—
Unhappy Crustle.png

Oh. Stands by that interrupted statement, regardless. F.

Remembers that monster well. Crushed Nimbus :castform: in a solo run. Fainted—at level 80—for the first time since level 2.

Crunch, Dragon Claw, Aerial Ace, and Brick Break on Veteran Trisha's Tyrantrum :tyrantrum:. Stopped playing nice.

Do not feel bad about the Brains and Brawn double battle either. Speaks volumes with just the movesets and abilities.
- Gallade :gallade:: Steadfast. Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, and Swords Dance.
- Medicham :medicham:: Pure Power. Zen Headbutt, Brick Break, Reflect, and Light Screen.

Glanced at Marriland's Y Wonderwedlocke. Suffered 22 deaths before reaching the pair. Acknowledges different rules. Showcases how vicious the game can be, however. (Turns out you can actually walk around the Brains and Brawn battle, also.)

Almost reached the end, one way or another. Totally gets easier at the Elite Four, right? (In before Dragon Dance sweep.) Good luck.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Deva F is right. Some of these Trainers are just ugly. I suppose it's some consolation that I'm doing a little better than Marriland was. Knowing how terrible the B&B are, I definitely would have skipped them if I could, but I didn't see any way to walk around them. Do you have a source for that?

A little way past the cavern is a Ranger who fully heals Fury's team. Hawkeye, of course, remains dead. Fury has been religiously dropping Moomoo Milks on his Pokémon, so HP isn't a problem, but the PP restoration is nice. Fury realizes why this Ranger may have been placed here when, just a few steps later, who should appear but Maria Hill. Fury's longtime rival challenges him to one more Pokémon battle. She's got five Pokémon now, as many as Fury. The fight is actually pretty smooth, even though it's complicated a bit by her Greninja knowing Ice Beam. Gamora turns out to be the star of the show, defeating Meowstic, Altaria, and Absol and growing all the way to Level 64. For the record, the level cap here is 65, like the Elite Four's aces.

There are a couple items to grab before the next cave, but they require Rock Smash. Since Hawkeye is dead and only good for field moves at this point, I teach him Rock Smash so Lady Sif can use X-Scissor full time.

The first Trainer inside the third cavern is a Ranger who leads with a Slowbro against Ancient One. Remembering the Ice Punch Medicham, I joke about the odds of this thing having Ice Beam. Ancient One deals 60% with Crunch...and then gets hit with Ice Beam. I hate this game. Once again, though, Ancient One hangs on with just over 30HP. Yikes. The next few Trainers aren't too bad until Fury is challenged by a Veteran with
a Leafeon. JARVIS begins with a Bulk Up, but Leafeon buffs itself with Swords Dance. Uh, could be a problem. Next turn, Earthquake does pitiful damage, but Leafeon's attack causes JARVIS's HP bar to drop faster than the eye can follow. It was Aerial Ace (why the hell does everything have Aerial Ace) and it was a crit. From full HP, JARVIS was left with only 4. Fury sends out Ancient One, and Leafeon does quite a bit of damage to itself with Double-Edge and Rocky Helmet recoil. One Dragon Claw does the job, and Fury resolves to teach Ancient One Flamethrower.

Next Fury proceeds to the last outside portion. An Artist's Smeargle is barely worth mentioning. The Ace Trainer after him has a Scizor, and I realize how lucky it was that Fury upgraded Ancient One's Slash to Flamethrower, because otherwise his team hardly would have been able to touch the Bug/Steel type. Defeating a Hiker up a Waterfall yields the TM for Dragon Claw, and then Fury Surfs on Rocket into the final cavern.

There's a gauntlet of three Trainers waiting here as the final obstacle of Victory Road, but surprisingly, none of them are that tough. Fury makes his way past the final set of torches and emerges onto the plateau of the Pokémon League.

Gamora has reached the level cap of 65, while the other four Pokémon are Level 64. Resting in a Pokémon Center is a very nice feeling. However, it also means Hawkeye must be laid to rest, and choosing his replacement is not a decision to be taken lightly. I think some of Fury's weak Bug Pokémon may turn out to be very useful, for one reason: Quiver Dance. However, whether that's going to work depends on their Hidden Power type. Betty Ross the Wurmple and Michelle Jones the Scatterbug can't actually learn Hidden Power, so Fury runs back to the vicinity of Santalune City to evolve them. I'm excited for this, as there's no telling what exactly either of them will become. Michelle Jones evolves into Spewpa and then into a beautiful Marine Vivillon. Betty Ross evolves into Silcoon and then into Beautifly. With that, Fury is able to go to Anistar City and get their Hidden Powers checked. Amazingly, they both have the same type: Psychic. That's not much help; I had really been hoping for Steel, or at least Fighting. Working with these Bug-types reminds me, however, that one other Pokémon might be able to pull off a similar strategy. Yellowjacket the Ninjask joins the party. I really like Ninjask so I really hope he's able to pull through.

Fury teaches Yellowjacket Dig and Aerial Ace via TM so he'll have a couple reliable moves. The Ninjask is at Level 21, so Fury begins his training against the Cyllage City Luvdisc, then grabs a couple levels on Route 10 and continues to Route 11. At Level 25 he learns Swords Dance, meaning I don't even have to use the TM for that. At Level 27 Yellowjacket is fighting a wild Sawk, which should be some good EXP. Aerial Ace does 2/3 of Sawk's health, and I'm sure Yellowjacket doesn't have anything to fear from a Fighting-type attack...unless that attack is Counter. That was nowhere on my radar, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Lost Yellowjacket the Ninjask
"Your very existence is insulting to me."

So much for my dreams of grabbing a couple Swords Dances and sweeping entire parties. Nothing in the PC particularly stands out to me at this point, but I figure one can never go wrong with Intimidate, so I grab Wendy Lawson the Snubbull. She'll be the second Fairy-type on the team, but she doesn't share any weaknesses with Gamora, so I'm fine with that. Since my patience is running thin, Fury simply switch-trains Wendy Lawson for a while against the back-alley Trainers of Lumiose City. She evolves into Granbull at Level 23 and after a few more levels, is able to take on some of the fights herself. Fury heads north to Laverre City once Wendy Lawson is Level 34.

The next part of the grind is terrible. A Granbull has great Attack and solid bulk, but its Speed and moves flat-out suck. At Level 41 Fury caves and teaches Wendy Lawson Brick Break so she can train in Frost Cavern, and that speeds things up. She finally gets her one damaging Fairy-type move, Play Rough, at Level 43. At Level 48 Fury also teaches her Earthquake and goes to wrap up all the loose ends in the Lost Hotel. JARVIS helps out in a Double Battle, hits Level 65 himself, and attempts to learn Aerial Ace. Why the heck does Gogoat get Aerial Ace by level up? Anyhow, once Wendy Lawson deals with the rest of the Trainers she's at 54.

Fury hasn't bothered with Terminus Cave up until now, but I want to go there before taking on the Pokémon League for one idiosyncratic reason. The Iron Plate can be found there, which is the only one of Arceus' Plates that Fury hasn't found on his travels. Wendy Lawson grinds to Level 58 on Route 18 and then heads in. Fury douses himself liberally in Max Repel; the Steel-type Durant and the Exploding Graveler would be too much to handle, and the Trainers give plenty of EXP. Wendy Lawson does pretty well, thanks to being about 10 levels higher than everything else. Against a certain Hiker, she takes out his Boldore, then allows Ancient One to deal with a Steelix and reach Level 65 herself. On the second floor of the dungeon, however, Fury stumbles into a Double Battle against a pair of Rangers with a Nidoking and Nidoqueen. I figure the quickest way to end it is with Ancient One's Earthquake. It will hit her partner, but Wendy Lawson should be able to take it. I'm right, but it's still scary, as the Granbull drops from full HP to low yellow. A critical hit! Of course one of Fury's Pokémon would score a crit against its own partner. That's been his luck the whole run. The two enemies net a disgusting amount of EXP, but thankfully Ancient One does not level up again. Just beyond them is the Iron Plate, as well as the TM for Shadow Ball as a bonus prize. A series of ledges allows Fury to hightail it out of there. Wendy Lawson finds herself at Level 64 and has also learned Crunch.

Fury turns his steps westward and returns to Dendemille Town to pay a visit to the move manipulators' house. Cut and Strength won't do Rocket any good in the Pokémon League, so it's time for them to be forgotten. Fury also dips into his stash of Heart Scales to teach Rocket and Wendy Lawson a couple strong moves that TMs won't cover. Then it's off to Route 21 so Wendy Lawson can gain her final level. Fury climbs up Victory Road for what will hopefully be the final time and takes the final opportunity to heal his team at the summit.

Everyone's at Level 65 and in top form. It's time to storm Avengers HQ.

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 65, holding King's Rock
-Surf
-Return
-Play Rough
-Thunderbolt

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 65, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Leaf Blade
-Bulk Up
-Earthquake

Level 65, holding Rocky Helmet
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 65, holding Expert Belt
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-X-Scissor

Gamora (JPN Mawile) ♀
Level 65, holding Quick Claw
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch

:granbull:
Wendy Lawson (ENG Granbull) ♀
Level 65, holding Lum Berry
-Play Rough
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Thunder Fang
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

:beautifly:
Betty Ross (ENG Beautifly) ♀
Level 10
-Tackle
-Absorb
-Poison Sting
-Harden

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

:vivillonmarine:
Michelle Jones (SPA Vivillon) ♀
Level 12
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Stun Spore
-Struggle Bug

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Ultron (FRE Zweilous) ♂
Level 59
-Work Up
-Dragon Rush
-Body Slam
-Scary Face

EDITH (ENG Luvdisc) ♀
Level 15
-Charm
-Water Gun
-Agility
-Take Down

Level 15
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Level 54
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Level 55
-Aurora Beam
-Poison Jab
-Acid Spray
-Surf

Drax (JPN Feraligatr) ♂
Level 60
-Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Surf
-Waterfall

Level 60
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

Hawkeye (JPN Greninja) ♂
Level 61
-Waterfall
-Rock Smash
-Extrasensory
-Ice Beam

Level 27
-Dig
-Swords Dance
-Fury Cutter
-Aerial Ace
Killed by a Counter from a wild Sawk.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Brains Brawn Brawl Bypass.png

1:03:17

Good luck against the Elite Four and Champion.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Deva Huh. Well then. I didn't even think of that.
@Gokudera @Calaf @Pendraflare @Shado Pinging all the folks who have commented on this thread so far. Thank you all for your interest! The final steps of the challenge are upon us.

This is it. After weeks of traveling, recruiting, training, and fighting, Fury has arrived at the literal and metaphorical summit of his journey: Avengers HQ. This place is instrumental to achieving Fury's dream of creating his team of remarkable people. This is where some of the strongest such people, whether friend or foe, reside. They are among those Fury was never able to meet, and they must test him.

[Side Note: Am I the only one who feels like there's a very set, definite order to the Elite Four even though they're not linear? I never fight them in any other order than the one below. This happens to work quite well for the current challenge so I'm very pleased about that.]

Fury starts with the one he presumes will be the easiest: Ronan the Accuser, one of Lysanos's cronies. Ancient One is equipped with the Expert Belt and Rock Slide, which makes this the easiest boss fight of the game so far. Pyroar, Talonflame, Torkoal, and Chandelure are all outsped and oneshot. Utterly crushing Ronan allows Ancient One to grow to Level 66. I am so, so glad to have this dragon. Next.

After slapping a Yache Berry on Ancient One just in case, Fury then faces Vision. JARVIS takes the lead here. The plan was to only use one Bulk Up, but after seeing that Clawitzer's Dragon Pulse only does around a third of JARVIS's HP, Fury grabs another one. Horn Leech heals JARVIS nearly back to full while easily getting the knockout. Barbaracle hits a respectable X-Scissor, but quickly follows Clawitzer, and this second Horn Leech puts JARVIS at full HP. Third is Gyarados, the only real sticking point here. Intimidate activates, but thanks to the pair of Bulk Ups, Fury's Pokémon still has boosted Attack. Gyarados hits Ice Fang for not a ton of damage while Leaf Blade does around 2/3 of its health. Predictably, the second Ice Fang is a crit, bypassing the Defense boosts and landing JARVIS squarely in red health. Horn Leech takes it out, but JARVIS is at well under half health, so Fury drops a Hyper Potion when Vision sends out his final Pokémon, Starmie. Psychic doesn't do much at all, and Leaf Blade demolishes it. That's the second fight in a row where only one Pokémon was used. Fury could get used to that.

Fury heals JARVIS up and returns Flamethrower to Ancient One's moveset. She'll be up to bat once more against Quicksilver. I have to admire his strategy, as he begins the battle by having his Prankster Klefki set up a layer of Spikes. That doesn't stop it from being oneshot by Earthquake but it makes switches a lot trickier. Probopass hits a weak Flash Cannon after its Sturdy saves it from Earthquake. This is fine by me, as I'd much rather have Quicksilver use his Full Restores here than on the real threat, Aegislash. That's what comes out next once Probopass finally dies. Thanks to its great defenses, Aegislash manages to survive an Earthquake at very low health and retaliate with Iron Head. Unfortunately Ancient One is holding Expert Belt rather than her customary Rocky Helmet, but Flamethrower is more than capable of wrapping things up. It serves the same purpose against Scizor, and just like that, Fury has beaten three of the Elite Four while only using two of his Pokémon. Ancient One is now up to Level 67.

Last is Frigga. I'm more worried about this fight than any other simply due to its unpredictability. Fury goes so far as to teach Rocket and Lady Sif Ice Beam via TM. Frigga leads with Dragalge, whose specific type combination might have messed me up, but Ancient One puts it in its place with a swift Earthquake. That's where her usefulness comes to an end, though, and Gamora comes out against Altaria.

Play Rough almost takes Altaria out after a pitiful Moonblast. Frigga heals on the next turn, so of course that's the turn Quick Claw chooses to activate, when it makes no difference. Fury orders Iron Head to break the healing loop; this turns out to be a mistake, as Altaria lands a Sing next turn. It then buffs with a Cotton Guard and uses a couple more Moonblasts while Gamora is asleep. Once the Mawile wakes up, her Play Rough puts Altaria right back at red health. Knowing Frigga's simply going to heal again, Fury switches to Rocket on that same turn. His Ice Beam deals precisely half of Altaria's health, and he's put to sleep too. Fortunately he's only asleep one turn, as Moonblast does a noticeable amount of damage to him, and Ice Beam is able to finish the job. Sheesh.

Wendy Lawson is sent out next to hit Druddigon with Intimidate while not feeling a Dragon Tail. Again, Play Rough doesn't quite KO. Rough Skin stings a bit but Chip Away doesn't do much and Earthquake knocks Druddigon out. Last is Frigga's ace, Noivern. It's far less bulky than Druddigon so Fury knows Play Rough will oneshot it, if only the move can land. Air Slash pushes Wendy Lawson down to a quarter of her max HP while I hope desperately that it won't cause a flinch. It doesn't, Play Rough doesn't miss, and Fury claims victory over the final member of the Elite Four.

Fury dips into his massive, Pickup-augmented stash of Rare Candies to boost his whole team to Level 68, the Champion's level cap. He also shuffles around some moves and items in order to give his team its best possible chance against the strongest opponent in the region, then proceeds into the Champion's room with a deep breath. At the top of the lift, he finds none other than Captain Marvel waiting for him. Makes sense. An absurdly powerful hero who's supposed to be dedicated to helping people, but nevertheless decided to sit out every last bit of all the doomsday action Fury's had to deal with the past few weeks. He's going to enjoy defeating her.

Captain Marvel leads with Hawlucha, up against Gamora. A resisted Flying Press does maybe 20% of Gamora's HP while Play Rough is a oneshot. Off to a good start. Next is Goodra. The AI must have some trick up its sleeve to send out a Dragon-type against a Fairy-type, but I know there's no way it'll call a Dragon-type move. Fury substitutes Ancient One who, sure enough, takes a minor Fire Blast and retaliates with Dragon Claw for a knockout. The Champion then sends out Aurorus, who's somewhat of a concern. Fury's only Ice resist has terrible Special Defense, and she needs to be preserved anyway. Wendy Lawson has the best moves for this situation, so she is sent in to take the hit, but Aurorus' Blizzard misses. That's a nice stroke of luck. The Ice/Rock-type then goes for Reflect, which turns out to be a colossal waste of time as Brick Break destroys the screen and scores yet another oneshot.

After that is Tyrantrum. I was really worried about this thing and its devastating Head Smash, until I realized I can pull off the same ploy as I did against Goodra. Ancient One absorbs the Head Smash meant for Wendy Lawson on the switch, and then drops Tyrantrum with Earthquake. Captain Marvel sends in Gourgeist, which means it's Lady Sif's time to shine. Phantom Force on the switch is, again, pretty weak. It hangs on with a sliver from Night Slash, only to use Trick-or-Treat. Lady Sif proceeds to use four Night Slashes in a row before Gourgeist finally dies, thanks to its Trainer using three Full Restores in a row.

Now it's just Gardevoir. It's pretty damn obvious there's a Fairy move coming, so Fury sends in Gamora. Evidently Captain Marvel possesses a Mjolnir Ring just like Fury and Lysanos, as her Gardevoir Mega Evolves. The Moonblast knocks Gamora from nearly full HP to 30%. Ouch. That Rash Nature is seriously problematic. Gamora can't take any other hit from this thing, but Fury's come this far with an intact team of six and he's not about to give up now. JARVIS still has full health and shouldn't be weak to anything of Gardevoir's, so he's called out. Mega Gardevoir goes for Thunderbolt on the switch, which turns out to do very little, and then Moonblast does a little under half of JARVIS's health in exchange for Horn Leech doing a little over half of Gardevoir's. One more exchange like that wins the battle. Gamora grows to Level 69. Fury has conquered Avengers HQ without a single death.

Captain Marvel the Champion is deeply impressed by Fury's victory. She takes him to the highest chamber in the building and registers him in the SHIELD database. Fury's dream is now a reality, but with this power, he has one more task at hand.

To honor Fury, Maria Hill, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor for their efforts in saving the Kalos region, Howard Stark throws them a massive parade in Lumiose City. Accompanied by The Collector and Carina, he bestows upon Fury the Honor of Kalos. It's then that Fury sees a face he thought he had left in the past.

Stan Lee emerges from the crowd to challenge Fury to a battle. Gamora is still in the lead slot, against a Torkoal. That's not going to fly. Rocket is the only one who didn't get a shot at Captain Marvel, so even though it's not a great matchup, Fury owes his oldest teammate at least that much. Surf doesn't quite deal half Torkoal's HP, and two Lava Plumes force Rocket to retreat, but it's the thought that counts. Wendy Lawson finishes it with an Earthquake, then yields to JARVIS against Golurk. Stan Lee's Pokémon opts for Phantom Force, giving JARVIS a free turn to use Bulk Up before blasting Golurk with Horn Leech. Lady Sif takes on the ancient man's final Pokémon, a Sigilyph. Despite it using Cosmic Power on the switch, a Black Glasses-boosted Night Slash still oneshots it.

Stan Lee doesn't seem upset about losing the battle. He admits that his heart feels lighter, finally able to relinquish the pain of his deeds from 3,000 years ago. He looks up into the sky and seems to become inspired, as if all that was ever good and beautiful about his creations is staring back at him from the clouds. The Professor explains that Stan Lee is finally able to return to being the loving man he once was. At last, Fury's work is done.
This challenge was wild. Going into it I had an impression of XY as relatively easy games, but man was I wrong. Curiously, this felt like the opposite of my last challenge, the Yellow Nuzlocke: that one was chill for most of the game and super tense right at the end, whereas this one felt like a struggle for most of the ordinary gameplay but surprisingly relaxed right at the end. It's definitely given me a heightened appreciation for Kalos. The layout of any other region would have made it next to impossible to run all over the place without Fly like I could here.

The Wonderlocke aspect of the challenge was a lot of fun, and I was not disappointed in that regard. I know I complained a lot about how may Bug-types and Normal-types I ended up with, but I always pulled just enough good Pokémon that I could maintain diversity and never had to use anything truly subpar on my team. Wonder Trade may be past its prime but I never had any trouble finding matches, so that was nice.

On the whole this was another enjoyable, satisfying challenge, and I'm very glad I did it. To those who stuck with me throughout the challenge, thank you, and to those who may stop by to read it later, thank you to you as well! I'm not finished with challenges, though you can expect a few months' hiatus before I do another one. I hope to see you all then!

Rocket (ITA Linoone) ♂
Level 68, holding Rocky Helmet
-Surf
-Return
-Play Rough
-Shadow Claw

JARVIS (SPA Gogoat) ♂
Level 68, holding Leftovers
-Horn Leech
-Leaf Blade
-Bulk Up
-Earthquake

Level 68, holding Roseli Berry
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Lady Sif (SPA Absol) ♀
Level 68, holding Black Glasses
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Sucker Punch
-X-Scissor

Gamora (JPN Mawile) ♀
Level 69, holding Quick Claw
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch

:granbull:
Wendy Lawson (ENG Granbull) ♀
Level 68, holding Expert Belt
-Play Rough
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Brick Break
Ayesha (ENG Whismur) ♀
Level 14
-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish

Level 25
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Scary Face
-Crunch

Wong (ENG Oddish) ♂
Level 11
-Absorb
-Sweet Scent
-Acid

:beautifly:
Betty Ross (ENG Beautifly) ♀
Level 10
-Tackle
-Absorb
-Poison Sting
-Harden

Level 13
-Tackle
-Double Team
-Confuse Ray
-Moonlight

:vivillonmarine:
Michelle Jones (SPA Vivillon) ♀
Level 12
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Stun Spore
-Struggle Bug

Goose (GER Skitty) ♀
Level 8
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Attract

Level 6
-Tackle
-Growl

Level 14
-Leer
-Quick Attack
-Fury Cutter
-Pursuit

Level 25
-Nasty Plot
-Psybeam
-Ancient Power
-Slash

Ultron (FRE Zweilous) ♂
Level 59
-Work Up
-Dragon Rush
-Body Slam
-Scary Face

EDITH (ENG Luvdisc) ♀
Level 15
-Charm
-Water Gun
-Agility
-Take Down

Level 15
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy
Loki (FRE Pansage) ♂
Level 19
-Bite
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
-Lick

Level 21
-Gust
-Stun Spore
-Poison Powder
-Confusion

Level 21
-Flail
-Ember
-Quick Attack
-Peck

Aunt May (FRE Torkoal) ♀
Level 15
-Withdraw
-Rapid Spin
-Fire Spin
-Smokescreen

FRIDAY (JPN Lotad) ♀
Level 30
-Fury Swipes
-Water Sport
-Absorb
-Bubble Beam

Hela (GER Magikarp) ♀
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Level 38
-Magical Leaf
-Petal Blizzard
-Fairy Wind
-Lucky Chant

Nebula (ENG Qwilfish) ♀
Level 42
-Revenge
-Surf
-Poison Sting
-Brine

Level 45
-Bulldoze
-Crunch
-Earth Power
-Dragon Breath

Hulk (ENG Tropius) ♂
Level 45
-Body Slam
-Fly
-Magical Leaf
-Synthesis

Level 36
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Take Down
-Rock Slide

Okoye (ENG Hariyama) ♀
Level 45
-Force Palm
-Knock Off
-Wake-Up Slap
-Fake Out

Level 46
-Strength
-Rock Smash
-Taunt
-Bite

Level 54
-Aura Sphere
-Swords Dance
-Metal Claw
-Bone Rush

Level 55
-Aurora Beam
-Poison Jab
-Acid Spray
-Surf

Drax (JPN Feraligatr) ♂
Level 60
-Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Surf
-Waterfall

Level 60
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Nuzzle

Hawkeye (JPN Greninja) ♂
Level 61
-Waterfall
-Rock Smash
-Extrasensory
-Ice Beam

Level 27
-Dig
-Swords Dance
-Fury Cutter
-Aerial Ace
Killed by a Counter from a wild Sawk.