Miscellaneous Portfolio The Boosted Chronicles

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
In which I attempt to learn how to use Adobe Premiere Pro by creating League of Legends themed videos. I may share other non-League related content here as well if I ever make anything outside of that, just for the sake of not wanting to make 50 million threads for my vids, but for the most part, this will be League of Legends themed. This is also part of a larger project where I create League of Legends videos for every champion, showcasing my finer moments in the game.

C&C is welcomed and appreciated, especially advice on using Adobe Premiere, but please keep your comments and criticism related to improving the videos themselves, not the game play shown in them. I already know the game play is questionable at times, but I'm looking to learn how to create better videos, not play a game better. That said, I'm willing to discuss the games themselves privately if anyone so desires!

First video features Aatrox. I wrapped this one up while I was kinda sleepy, and I kinda got tired of working on it a little bit, so I think the moral of the story here is to not make such a long vid next time, at least until I get used to things on Adobe Premiere.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I took another stab at making a video, this time featuring Ahri. I decided to shorten it up because 10 minutes felt a little too long for a video, and also like a lot for me to work with right now when I'm still learning, so I decided to go with a 5 minute video instead. Still time consuming, but it was a lot more bearable to get through.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I tried to do a lil more with this one, like adding an intro image and doing a lil bit of a slow mo effect too. It's real laggy too for some reason, but it looks like that may have been the game itself and not the video editing? I'm not 100% sure, but hopefully it's not an issue in future videos. Akali's loading screen music is real cool, by the way. The 5 minute videos are a lot more bearable for sure though.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
In this video, I learned how to add text. Probably won't use the feature too much though since it doesn't look like you can really edit the text, but we'll see. I think I need to work on sizing things since I can see there's edges of the screen getting cut off, but it plays in Adobe Premiere fine.

Also had some issues in uploading this, but hopefully it's all good now!

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Decided to go and make my own text images in Photoshop because I can customize them how I want. Also learned how to do transitions in this video! I also realized that the video is going off a 1280x720 resolution, which works well for the images I'm adding, but not so well for the recorded clips themselves, which are going off my laptop's resolution of 1920x1080. I didn't realize it until the end as I was going to export it to upload to YouTube and share here, but now that I know what's causing things to be off, I can adjust the sizing of everything and hopefully resolve the problem for future videos.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
Can't believe I've only just seen this thread! Happy to see you pursuing this though, I know it had been on your mind for a while. It's really interesting to be able to see you learn as you go. At the moment the main things I'd bring up at the moment are audio related. I've had the same issue myself when recording for a long time, but you'll have to look into fixing your audio going out of sync after a while of recording. Also there's some times when the audio distorts and bursts weirdly. Not sure if you're recording at too high of a quality than your machine is capable of, or if it's the way the video is being compressed after it's done. The zoomed in issue was weird but glad to see you got that fixed.

One thing I'd like to know is the direction of this project as a whole. I know your overall intention is to improve at video editing and practice with the software, but do you have a long term goal in mind? Setting one would really help shape what kind of edits you wish to include into your videos. Are you doing them for entertainment purposes for the viewer? If so then it may be worth upping the amount of funny commentary you include. Are you doing it so you can pick out places in your own gameplay for you to improve? Then another path you could go down is to highlight things you think you should have done instead.

Finally, out of curiousity, I presume that you do watch other League channels. Which in particular do you enjoy watching, and out of those do you wish to emulate or draw inspiration from any of them?

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Can't believe I've only just seen this thread! Happy to see you pursuing this though, I know it had been on your mind for a while. It's really interesting to be able to see you learn as you go. At the moment the main things I'd bring up at the moment are audio related. I've had the same issue myself when recording for a long time, but you'll have to look into fixing your audio going out of sync after a while of recording. Also there's some times when the audio distorts and bursts weirdly. Not sure if you're recording at too high of a quality than your machine is capable of, or if it's the way the video is being compressed after it's done. The zoomed in issue was weird but glad to see you got that fixed.

One thing I'd like to know is the direction of this project as a whole. I know your overall intention is to improve at video editing and practice with the software, but do you have a long term goal in mind? Setting one would really help shape what kind of edits you wish to include into your videos. Are you doing them for entertainment purposes for the viewer? If so then it may be worth upping the amount of funny commentary you include. Are you doing it so you can pick out places in your own gameplay for you to improve? Then another path you could go down is to highlight things you think you should have done instead.

Finally, out of curiousity, I presume that you do watch other League channels. Which in particular do you enjoy watching, and out of those do you wish to emulate or draw inspiration from any of them?
I'll look at the audio issues in future videos! I'm not sure what would be causing it, but I'll look at at least getting it resolved during the editing process for sure.

Right now, my main focus is just learning Adobe Premiere. When I was in school, we used Final Cut Pro, which is very different from Adobe Premiere; what I'm using is basically the advanced version of Final Cut. (I actually tried using Adobe Premiere when I was in school, but ended up just using Final Cut because I couldn't figure out Premiere and I was doing my assignments last minute oops.) But besides that, for this project specifically, I'm just looking to really laugh at my own game play; I know I'm not a shining player at League, but that's okay. I personally don't think I'm a super funny person (others would probably disagree, but shrug), but I do want these to be entertaining, so since I'm not really super down for talking (at least not right now), what I could probably do is put in some funny images or try to edit the individual clips with some humor. I tried to do a little bit of a slow mo effect during one of the clips in the Akali video, but I ended up having to cut that portion and editing it with the slow mo and even then, I felt like it wasn't really working out so well. I think as I gain more experience with the software, it'll be easier for me to do more stuff and be more creative when it comes to the videos (and maybe even work on gradually making them longer to hit that 10 minute mark too).

Other League channels I've watched have been MagikarpUsedFly, Kshaway, and Bricky. I think it was Magikarp's champion spotlights that inspired me to do this in the first place, but I also really like Kshaway's videos in general. (And Bricky is just nice to look at, not gonna lie.) Eventually though, I'd like to expand into other games, like maybe RuneScape or Minecraft, since I want to do a RuneScape ironman run once I finish getting all of my main account's skills to level 99 and Minecraft would probably just be a fun one to record on creative mode (or maybe even a survival world!!).

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
Sounds awesome, it's great to hear you've got a long term plan for the project. And now you'll be able to make informed decisions about how to make these clips more entertaining. Music, snappy comments/reaction images, sound effects etc. Of course I don't mean that you should try it all at once, it's good to see you add things gradually as you learn more about it. At least with you watching those kinds of channels you'll know what to expect for yourself.

I've got a couple other channels that I'd recommend if you don't mind? There's RossBoomsocks, he's just a nutter and uploads various kinds of silly gameplay. Tilterella, somewhat infamous among the top lane community as the guy that pretty much started off the whole inting Sion phase, but he does a lot of clip montage work in his videos so I recommend him to you for that same reason. Then there's Skooch whose main series is "Can We Talk About This" which are really short (like around five minutes) videos talking about how ridiculous X champion is for the duration, and makes it sounds funny while doing so. The only thing about that is his humour is almost entirely from narration, and I don't think you're ready to stick your voice into your videos yet? Anyway I hope those help you a bit.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Sounds awesome, it's great to hear you've got a long term plan for the project. And now you'll be able to make informed decisions about how to make these clips more entertaining. Music, snappy comments/reaction images, sound effects etc. Of course I don't mean that you should try it all at once, it's good to see you add things gradually as you learn more about it. At least with you watching those kinds of channels you'll know what to expect for yourself.

I've got a couple other channels that I'd recommend if you don't mind? There's RossBoomsocks, he's just a nutter and uploads various kinds of silly gameplay. Tilterella, somewhat infamous among the top lane community as the guy that pretty much started off the whole inting Sion phase, but he does a lot of clip montage work in his videos so I recommend him to you for that same reason. Then there's Skooch whose main series is "Can We Talk About This" which are really short (like around five minutes) videos talking about how ridiculous X champion is for the duration, and makes it sounds funny while doing so. The only thing about that is his humour is almost entirely from narration, and I don't think you're ready to stick your voice into your videos yet? Anyway I hope those help you a bit.
Yeah, definitely! I do want to take it slow; there's a lot that can be done in Premiere, apparently, and I've found that if I take things slow and gradually improve, I'll probably retain the information better than if I try to improve everything all at once. Like I know how to fix my sizing issues, so I'll focus more on sound for next time, and once I fix that, I'll know how to improve it for future videos already so it's just continuously putting it back into practice, if that makes sense.

I feel like I've seen some RossBoomsocks before, but I haven't seen any of Tilterella or Skooch's videos before. I'll definitely have to check them out some time! I don't think it's so much I'm not ready to stick my voice into videos yet; I've had to do it for class assignments, so I know how to do it and all (maybe not so much in Premiere, but I can't imagine it'd be too hard to figure out). I think it's more I'm just not sure I'd be super entertaining if I stuck my voice into videos. I'm not usually super talkative when I play League (even on the rare occasion when I've talked with friends, I haven't really been super talkative), so I think me by myself wouldn't be super entertaining since I wouldn't really be saying a whole lot, if that made sense. When I've spoken in videos in the past, I've had a script, so I just read off of that. I could probably pull off scripts for these videos, but I feel like it might work better if I didn't really plan out what I was saying ahead of time other than maybe just a general idea of what I was planning to talk about; the scripts worked fine for class assignments, but I'm not so sure they'd work so much here.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
I mean one avenue you might consider going down (if you're more comfortable reading from a script) is if you ever do longplays of your games then you could commentate your thought process behind each of your plays. Would be another way you could laugh at yourself, like "herpaderp look at me thinking I can duel a thing" "NA Flash" etc. But then that could also just be served by text on the screen. Or both. It's just that one way or another, you probably don't want to upload just raw footage if you know what I mean hehe.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I mean one avenue you might consider going down (if you're more comfortable reading from a script) is if you ever do longplays of your games then you could commentate your thought process behind each of your plays. Would be another way you could laugh at yourself, like "herpaderp look at me thinking I can duel a thing" "NA Flash" etc. But then that could also just be served by text on the screen. Or both. It's just that one way or another, you probably don't want to upload just raw footage if you know what I mean hehe.
That's something I could definitely try to add throughout is more commentary through text to make up for the lack of voice! It'll probably be easier to come up with stuff in the heat of the moment, but hey, we'll see what happens. I have a couple of ideas of what I could do in future videos now, tbh, that I want to try to do to inject more humor into it all. We'll see how it all comes out when I start working on the next video, haha.