AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973
I don't know why, but I suddenly had the urge to write up this thread.

Speaking of, this is the thread to discuss all things Bravely! Yes, everything! Default, Second, Praying Brage, Fairy's Effect, Archive, even the illustrious Pocketbook of R! Talk about the characters, the stories, the builds you used/use, theories on whatever the next mainline game will involve, the references, the soundtrack, the Cryst-Fairies (all 6 of them so far, if we count Airy and Lemniscate Airy as two separate entities), whatever comes to mind!

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
I've heard of...all of these things that aren't the two 3DS games but the details are very unclear. Is there anything meaningful out of them because they're like all Japanese-only or otherwise fairly inaccessible? I looked at someone's partial translation of Pocketbook of R once for example but idk if it's even canon.

Tbh it's been quite some time since I last played a Bravely game. The third one better come out within the next year.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I played Default and Second a while ago, and I'm pretty sure I did it in the least efficient/fun way possible, because all of my class selection revolved around "hey, this number is bigger than that number!" I have a weird relationship with RPGs. Combined 160 hours well spent!

Default drove me crazy for reasons that most of you can probably guess. Second was pretty great, it's probably my favorite game on the 3DS although there are still a buttload of games that I haven't played on the 3DS so I don't think that's fair to call right now. I've heard that Third is in production like twice in the last 12 months which probably means we'll be hearing about it around E3 2025, but is it still fair to assume that the
sword of the brave
thingy is going to be involved? I haven't gotten that deep into the lore aside from those two games.

Also, if third doesn't go all out with the puns I'm rioting.

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973
I know, there's really not much on the other things - but Bravely Archive did get a western release, so maybe there's some stuff there about Ain and Noin (the Cryst-Fairies in Archive) that we can actually understand? Maybe not, idk, but that's difficult to say, since the Japanese version ended before we got it in the west.

Fairy's Effect is still going in Japan, but it's Japan only, and I'm wondering if there's really anything about Rinne that gives anything else.

In all honesty, I'm not sure if Pocketbook of R is canon (though the art from both the original and the Bravely Second one are in the Art of Bravely artbook), but part of me REALLY hopes it is:

For starters, the Lemniscate World could actually have worked, since Ringabel is a Planeswarden. Who jumps between worlds. We can guess that Bravely Sword (name tentative) will involve - well, the Bravely Sword/Sword of the Brave - and Ringabel will HAVE to play a major role. Having Lemniscate Airy along for the ride would be an interesting idea (as long as she has that infinity symbol on her wings and not the Ringabel Points thing in PoR2nd), but I would HIGHLY doubt we'd encounter Lemniscate Magnolia {I'll admit that Lemniscate Magnolia is rather weird} or anyone else from the Lemniscate world. IF it was canon.

Lemniscate Airy is different from normal Airy as Lemniscate Airy was made when Ouroboros was basically about to die to the Warriors of Light. The infinity symbol on her wings represents the futility of her purpose, since Ouroboros is dead. So, she knows that her "purpose" is to awaken the crystals, but she doesn't know why, which allows Ringabel to make Lemniscate Airy actually good. She's basically the good parts of Airy from Default and a lot more innocent.

I wonder how many people will be disappointed if the third game is called Bravely Sword and not Bravely Third.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
I dunno, I don’t think I’d be too mad about it being called Bravely Sword because if you say sword and third with the right accent, they actually sound pretty similar!

I never finished default and have second but haven’t played it bc I still gotta finish the first one. Not ‘cause I didn’t enjoy the game or anything!! I just hate finishing games because it means the story comes to an end so I stopped playing it. One of these days I’ll pick it up again and finish it.

My boy ringabel better have a big part in third whenever it comes out!!

Also I love drawing Edea so if you guys are interested I’ll post some of my drawings when I put them on my Twitter :3c

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I found Bravely Second for a really good price, but I don’t plan on playing it until I can track down the first one. Maybe one of these days.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I've only heard of the two 3DS games, and not the others.

I never actually finished Bravely Default before I started Bravely Second, but thankfully, I knew what happened at the end of Default going into Second, so I didn't miss too much. I would like to one day go back and finish Default, and then maybe go through and play Second again, haha. Right now, I'm playing through Second. I'm still only on chapter 1; for some reason, I started the game ages ago, and then I dropped it for some reason, so I've been picking it back up lately. It's been a nice game for me to play while I've been waiting for my mom to get off work on Sundays since I'm typically sitting around for about 3-4 hours doing nothing anyways.

I really liked playing Bravely Default though, and Bravely Second has been so nice to play too!

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
When this was announced I arrived home to messages from about three different people plus all of social media that the next Bravely game was confirmed, and everything about this makes me happy. I'm still playing Octopath, but I do miss the the paper watercolor aesthetic.

I got all of my griping about the names out earlier in the week, so if we must try to inject order into chaos would it be helpful to now think of Bravely Second as Bravely Default, Chapter 2 and this one as a proper successor? That's the feeling I got from the trailer, since nothing jumped out at me that this is part of the same story like the last one.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i didn't play the game myself, but i watched a playthrough and really loved it. i'm looking forward to this and hopefully i can pick it up when it's released 🖤

gylfie

I got all of my griping about the names out earlier in the week, so if we must try to inject order into chaos would it be helpful to now think of Bravely Second as Bravely Default, Chapter 2 and this one as a proper successor? That's the feeling I got from the trailer, since nothing jumped out at me that this is part of the same story like the last one.
i don't know a whole lot abt the final fantasy main series but some people have been comparing the naming conventions to that series, saying that they're looking to make bravely into a franchise like that. multiple different stories taking place in the same universe i think?

i stillllll haven't finished default or second but fingers crossed i do it over the holidays so i can buy the new game guilt free when it comes out.

i'm loving the backgrounds n music but i can't help but laugh at the character models;;; the textures are so detailed but the faces look so funny to me :'0 i feel like the previous games had a better balance of detail

also bc of the announcement i was in a bravely mood so

gylfie

bumping this to let you guys know that the bravely default II demo is available to play!

gotta finish my work before i get to try it out tho;;;

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973
Yeah, the game is looking great. Elvis's Scottish voice is utterly hilarious, I love it.

I'll be doing the same as well - and giving my full thoughts when I've completed as much as possible in it. Like how I did the Bravely Second Demo, I want to see what exactly every bit of the demo has to offer.

EDIT: They're also doing a survey, so be sure to fill that out. I'll be doing that as well. Been looking at GameXplain's playthrough, and I can see some things that might need improvement. (I don't even know if you can use default with the L button like in the previous games)

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Switch FC
SW-6946-6396-3973
Okay, I've played... most of the demo - though I haven't found the last chest in the overworld, or beaten the wood golem. Here's the things that I think need improvement.

• Turn order. My god, it needs a visible turn order like Octopath. With the new system in how it works, rather than in previous Bravely games, it's difficult to really know who goes when. You could default a character, then suddenly it's their turn again. Either that, or they return to how it was in the original Bravely games - set all four's actions at the start of the turn, then play the turn out. I prefer this, instead of suddenly having characters default if you press it and then think again. Speaking of... why not make that a button as well?

• Info. By that, I mean the ones you have to hold the + button for. That's battle info and skill info in the menu. I'd prefer if it was a toggle for those. Granted, you can see skill info in battle if you turn on tooltips, but having to hold + to see battle info is a little annoying. Which leads onto...

• Battle Info needs more information. You can't even tell how much the enemy is buffed or debuffed - just what the buffs/debuffs are, not how much. I don't want it on that same screen, but - if they add a toggle to battle info, they could use the directional buttons left and right to show more detail for each side. Again, like in the original Bravely Games.

• Music is fine. Better than fine, it's great. Voice work is great too. I'm not sure who does Bernard, but that's some good acting there. Props to the voice director. Chris Lew Kum Hoi as Seth, Charlotte Ritchie as Gloria, Steven Cree as Elvis, and Samantha Dakin as Adelle. Nice to see some British actors used instead of American ones. Not that it matters entirely, but still, nice to see. However... all the talking in battle gets very, VERY, grating. Like, really. It's too much, honestly. I don't mind the voices, they're charming, but the frequency in battles is too high.