Pokémon The Breeders' Club V5: All Things Pokémon Breeding

Breeders_Club

New Trainer
The Breeders' Club

Pokémon breeding is a method of obtaining a new Pokémon by producing and hatching an Egg. Generation II introduced the system of Egg Creation and hatching that would continue, much unaltered, to the present! 6th Gen added a number of perks to breeding including Poke Ball Inheritance, the passing down of moves by mother, as well passing HA from Males! Gen 7 introduced the capabilities of male parents passing along their Poké Ball onto their offspring when bred with Ditto or with a female of their species.

We're all about all things Pokémon breeding. That includes Masuda Method breeding, Trainer Shiny Value (TSV) hatching, etc. Feel free to ask any questions, post any advice to fellow Breeders, or have any discussions related to breeding. You can even get some freebie breedjects from your fellow Breeders in this club! Who doesn't want some Bank Ball Pokémon with USUM exclusive egg moves? Or breedjects in fancy PokéBalls? Join today! :D

Rules
  1. Follow all Marriland Rules. To reiterate a few common things, no multi-posting, spamming, flaming etc. Posts should be constructive.
  2. Be polite and show respect towards other members.
  3. All the posts should only be related to Pokemon Breeding (or of similar nature). Only some off-topic chat is allowed.
  4. Please conduct trades either via Marriland PMs or on the #trades channel on our Discord server.
  5. Please try to be active & post whenever you can do so. Monthly member sweeps will occur.
  6. Any new members joining need to add "Everstone x Destiny Knot OTP" in their form to make sure all the rules have been read!
  7. By signing up, you are automatically obliged to follow all rules stated, and any serious rule breaking will be dealt with seriously.
Join Form
Username (add any Nicknames as well):
Favorite Pokémon:
Most memorable bred Pokémon:
Current Breeding Project:
Worst Breeding experience:
What type of Breeding do you Specialize in?
Want Access to the Club Discord Server?:
Extra:

Breeders_Club

New Trainer
Breeders

🥚🥚🥚

:megalucario: Blucario :megalucario:
Club Leader
Specialty: Matching Ball of all Breedables

🥚🥚🥚

:arceus: Arceus:chandelure:
AKA: James, Chandelure
Specialty: Rare Ball Competitives (Dream, Beast, Luxury, Apricorn)

🥚🥚🥚

:scrafty: Fafrir:scrafty:
AKA: Ashley, Scraftato
Specialty: Competitive (sometimes Rare Balls too)

🥚🥚🥚

:archeops: AuburnEnigma:archeops:
AKA: Amy, Auburn, any deviation
Specialty: Special Balls, Egg Moves, Natures, IVs

🥚🥚🥚

:espeon: Deva:espeon:
Specialty: Storyline Breeding - IVs, Abilities, Natures, and EMs

🥚🥚🥚

:bewear: Combatking0:bewear:
Specialty: Competitive Breeding

🥚🥚🥚

:reuniclus: Rex:reuniclus:
Specialty: Shiny Competitive Breeding

🥚🥚🥚

:wartortle: BizzK18:wartortle:
AKA:Bryan
Specialty: Specialty Balls, HA, etc.

🥚🥚🥚

:toxicroak: PokeCraftier:toxicroak:
Specialty:Dream Balls, IVs, EVs, Egg Moves, Hidden Abilities

🥚🥚🥚

:mimikyu: UberMedic1809 (Fjord) :mimikyu:
Specialty:Competitive/Shiny

🥚🥚🥚

:tyranitar: Erasmus :haxorus:
Specialty:Battle Ready variants of all available 'mons

🥚🥚🥚

Last edited:

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
Username (add any Nicknames as well): Arceus (AKA: James, Chandelure)
Favorite Pokémon: Too many. Maybe Arceus or Chandelure
Most memorable bred Pokémon: Shiny, ideal, beast ball 5 IV Hawlucha on egg 5 with 1 0IV parent.
HA Incineroar
Every time I finish a project and realize I forgot an important egg move.
I focus on a lot of rare ball projects. My favorite pokeballs are Dream, Beast, Luxury, and the apricorn set. They all fall under a vaguely competitive specialization.
Already there!
Extra:
Everstone x Destiny Knot OTP

Fafrir

Wild Side
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
I was always interested in this club but I've never joined it. Let's change that!
Username (add any Nicknames as well): Fafrir, Scraftato, Ashley
Favorite Pokémon: Scrafty
Most memorable bred Pokémon: Aerodactyl, it wasn't too special but it was my first Pokemon I got to be 5IV.
Current Breeding Project: Don't have one at the moment but obtaining more Safari Ball Pokemon (such as Chansey and Doduo) would be fun.
Worst Breeding experience: Probably the frustration of getting a 5IV mon with the wrong ability.
What type of Breeding do you Specialize in? Getting competitive mons, rare balls are a bonus.
Want Access to the Club Discord Server?: Sure!
Extra: Did you know Everstone x Destiny Knot is the OTP?

Blucario

ブルー • プリンセス
AKA
Blu
Time Zone
US MST / GMT -7
3DS FC
4742-6374-6875
IGN
Blucario
@Arceus : Welcome again!. And thanks a million times for pointing out all of the issues on the club Discord haha. Ah, forgetting certain important egg moves...I hope that you're not forgetting any when breeding for that HA Incineroar, lol. xD Speaking of which, how's that breeding coming along?

@Fafrir : Welcome, Ashley! It's nice to see you here! I'll send you the link to the Discord server in a bit. So, Safari Ball mons huh? Is there a specific reason why you're interested in them?

Fafrir

Wild Side
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
@Fafrir : Welcome, Ashley! It's nice to see you here! I'll send you the link to the Discord server in a bit. So, Safari Ball mons huh? Is there a specific reason why you're interested in them?
Thank you! And I like the Safari Ball because of how rare it is, the method of obtaining them, and it gives me some excuse to play Emerald and Leaf Green. As a bonus, it's green.

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
@Blucario : No problem! I spent a while administrating a server, so I've learned (mostly be trial and error lol) a lot of sommon problems/fixes. As for Incineroar, I think I got 1 HA ideal. I was hoping to get a few to fiddle with different sets, but starters are so slow, especially with HA consideration. Schoolwork was a big reason to hurry it up, as well as Let's Go.
@Fafrir : Welcome! I always forget about Safari Balls. I've been meaning to do more projects in them. I think I'll probably start with Hippopotas and Doduo.

I know it isn't exactly breeding, but since it's all we have that works to the same end: what do you all think of chaining in LGPE? I'll spoiler my opinions in case people want to learn themselves.
I don't know how I really feel about it honestly. I read somewhere that by chain 31 you have certain 6IV with 4 shiny rerolls, easily paired with Madam Celadon's enveloping Synchronizer, but there's still some stuff that irks me. 1. the pokeball selection. I don't like Ultra and Great balls that much. I like the classic and premier of the purchased base set. However, that method is getting prohibitively difficult. The ball power really does matter an awful lot now with things running away. I'm used to a far more patient timer. Back in 2014, I decided to catch all the ORAS legends I could in default balls, something possible simply with patience. That's not exactly an option here. 2. the uncertainty inherent in chaining. I liked SOS chaining in gen 7 a lot actually. Other methods are hard because they break so easily due to in game or real life constraints, and this one is no different. With breeding and SOS chaining, I appreciate that it's a splash of ingenuity and then raw patience. Things run away from me so often in LGPE!

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
*Arrives at the party a little later than intended*

Username: AuburnEnigma (to mis-quote Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (which has 29 named colours) 'any derivative will do')
Favourite Pokémon: Archeops, I also have some love for Alolan Ninetales and Garbodor after my breedject Ultra Sun playthrough
Most memorable bred Pokémon: a completely accidental non-Masuda shiny Eevee back when Gen 5 was first out. I was only trying to breed all 25 natures just to see how long it would take me to do it, and this Serious little critter appeared on egg 47 (the 25th nature was hatched only a few eggs after)
generally trying to breed all of the 'Special' Balls (Apricorn, plus Dream, Safari, Beast and Sport). Currently doing some Apricorn starters
when you forget to take off/put on the Everstone so your desired Poke doesn't come out with the nature that you wanted
Ball Breeding, Egg Moves, IVs, Natures - I try and make it competitive if I can.
Already there
Extra:
Everstone x Destiny Knot is the only OTP, none of this KantoShipping malarkey (ContestShipping might be a different story, mind...)

Blucario

ブルー • プリンセス
AKA
Blu
Time Zone
US MST / GMT -7
3DS FC
4742-6374-6875
IGN
Blucario
@Fafrir : That's really cool! So, that means that you still have your Emerald and Leaf Green cartridges? How many :safariball: Safari Ball mons have you gotten so far?

@Arceus : Haha gotta love learning new things via trial and error. That's great that you got the ideal Litten/Incineroar! Yes, it's unfortunate that VGC/Doubles spreads tend to be more spread out and there tends to be a variety of spreads to run on a single mon. I don't have LGPE yet, but I can try to answer your question about chaining. I'm on the fence about chaining. I don't like the small selection of PokeBalls, lol. The only nice ball is the :premierball: Premier Ball, but man, no :diveball: Dive Balls? On the plus side, I can at least try for high IV'd Kanto matching ball mons. Though, they won't have any egg moves, which is a bit of a bummer. But hey, it might make getting an HP Ice :zapdos: Zapdos easier...maybe?

@AuburnEnigma : Woo! You're finally here haha. xD I really love how you've put some effort in filling out your join form, lol. Which Apricorn starter are you working on atm?

I've already said this in the Discord, but I'm waiting for someone on reddit to shiny hatch my shiny :dreamball: :zubat: for a VGC 19 online competition. It might take a while, since he's in Europe and my schedule doesn't quite match up well with players from there, lol. Time to breed some HA Careful :litten: .

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
@Blucario : I was working on a few different ones, but then this happened.

6IV Torrent Jolly Oshawott (so pretty much perfect by Smogon standards) - BUT SHINY. 4th egg from its parent, and he's in a Moon Ball too. Happy happy days :D

Blucario

ブルー • プリンセス
AKA
Blu
Time Zone
US MST / GMT -7
3DS FC
4742-6374-6875
IGN
Blucario
@Blucario : I was working on a few different ones, but then this happened.

6IV Torrent Jolly Oshawott (so pretty much perfect by Smogon standards) - BUT SHINY. 4th egg from its parent, and he's in a Moon Ball too. Happy happy days :D
Ah, congrats on the :oshawott: ! You should definitely show him/her off in a pic and post it on here or on the Discord! :D

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Ah, congrats on the :oshawott: ! You should definitely show him/her off in a pic and post it on here or on the Discord! :D
If I can find a way to do it then I will (my manual dexterity isn't great so taking photos isn't an easy thing for me), but I now have another one to add:

Shiny Timid HA Friend Ball Cyndaquil (only 4IV but I got him within 30 eggs so still brilliant)

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Username (add any Nicknames as well): Deva
Favorite Pokémon: Espeon
Worst Breeding experience: Bred about seven male Carvanhas with its Hidden Ability and the correct five Individual Values before the first female with those qualifications.
Most memorable bred Pokémon: Shiny Speed Boost Carvanha with six perfect Individual Values. Happened to be the female breaking the above bad streak too. Looks great as a purple Sharpedo. Tends to not care much about shiny Pokemon either.
Current Breeding Project: Balancing out random eggs. Varies in power level significantly currently. How could Gligar (the current specific Pokemon) with only Poison Sting compete with a Dragon Dance + Outrage Charmander?

What type of Breeding do you Specialize in?: Finds this difficult to answer. Would say "Storyline Breeding". Typically breeds for other people, most often Marriland (the streamer). Plays the main story only. Breeds with the game (and challenge) in mind.

Example: What do you fear in Alpha Sapphire? Identified Norman and Primal Kyogre as nasty spots. Sent Escavalier for Norman, with five perfect Individual Values and good moves at level 5 (Aerial Ace, X-Scissor, Knock Off, and Swords Dance). Came with Shell Armor, in case of unfortunate criticals. Chose Jellicent for Primal Kyogre. Gave it Water Absorb. What can Primal Kyogre with Origin Pulse, Body Slam, Ice Beam, and Aqua Ring do?

Enjoys choosing Pokemon, moves, and abilities unusual in a normal playthrough too. Would never obtain Turtonator with Shell Trap until near the end (level 45). Now imagine having that Shell Trap Turtonator at level 10 versus Totem Raticate. Sticks out.

(Feel free to put something more easily understood at a glance in the member list. Deals with Individual Values, abilities, natures, and egg moves.)

Want Access to the Club Discord Server?: No.
Extra: Everstone x Destiny Knot OTP

Blucario

ブルー • プリンセス
AKA
Blu
Time Zone
US MST / GMT -7
3DS FC
4742-6374-6875
IGN
Blucario
If I can find a way to do it then I will (my manual dexterity isn't great so taking photos isn't an easy thing for me), but I now have another one to add:

Shiny Timid HA Friend Ball Cyndaquil (only 4IV but I got him within 30 eggs so still brilliant)
Oh, right, I forgot about that! Well, if you're not able to get a picture, then that's okay! I personally just like seeing photos of people's shinies haha. But hey, a shiny :friendball: :cyndaquil: ! Congrats on another shiny Apricorn starter! Was it a Masuda Method shiny?
Username (add any Nicknames as well): Deva
Favorite Pokémon: Espeon
Worst Breeding experience: Bred about seven male Carvanhas with its Hidden Ability and the correct five Individual Values before the first female with those qualifications.
Most memorable bred Pokémon: Shiny Speed Boost Carvanha with six perfect Individual Values. Happened to be the female breaking the above bad streak too. Looks great as a purple Sharpedo. Tends to not care much about shiny Pokemon either.
Current Breeding Project: Balancing out random eggs. Varies in power level significantly currently. How could Gligar (the current specific Pokemon) with only Poison Sting compete with a Dragon Dance + Outrage Charmander?

What type of Breeding do you Specialize in?: Finds this difficult to answer. Would say "Storyline Breeding". Typically breeds for other people, most often Marriland (the streamer). Plays the main story only. Breeds with the game (and challenge) in mind.

Example: What do you fear in Alpha Sapphire? Identified Norman and Primal Kyogre as nasty spots. Sent Escavalier for Norman, with five perfect Individual Values and good moves at level 5 (Aerial Ace, X-Scissor, Knock Off, and Swords Dance). Came with Shell Armor, in case of unfortunate criticals. Chose Jellicent for Primal Kyogre. Gave it Water Absorb. What can Primal Kyogre with Origin Pulse, Body Slam, Ice Beam, and Aqua Ring do?

Enjoys choosing Pokemon, moves, and abilities unusual in a normal playthrough too. Would never obtain Turtonator with Shell Trap until near the end (level 45). Now imagine having that Shell Trap Turtonator at level 10 versus Totem Raticate. Sticks out.

(Feel free to put something more easily understood at a glance in the member list. Deals with Individual Values, abilities, natures, and egg moves.)

Want Access to the Club Discord Server?: No.
Extra: Everstone x Destiny Knot OTP
Hey, welcome to the club! I'll add you to the members list when I get home from work. Feel free to post on here to your heart's desire! Thanks to you, we're now an official club on Marriland! Woo!

Anyways, I'm pretty fascinated on your breeding specialization! It seems pretty unique and that's freaking cool that you actually breed for Devin/Marriland himself! What was your best bred mon that you've bred for Devin/Marriland?

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Anyways, I'm pretty fascinated on your breeding specialization! It seems pretty unique and that's freaking cool that you actually breed for Devin/Marriland himself! What was your best bred mon that you've bred for Devin/Marriland?
Breeds for Marriland's challenges with Wonder Trading, more specifically. Lacks any direct access. Relies on luck to get anything through. Requires breeding a lot of duplicates. Usually makes twelve to fifteen of a given Pokemon.

Probably Snorlax (in a Luxury Ball). Knew about Ultra Sun/Moon's difficulty. Wanted something able to tank everything.

Ability: Thick Fat. Expects poison in one fight: the Fire Totem. Against Corrosion Salazzle. No thanks. May not even fight that.
Nature: +Defense, -Special Attack. Faces so many physical totems. Made more sense than Special Defense regardless.
Moveset: Return, Earthquake, Curse, Yawn. Planned on more Yawn tactics. Proved effective without it. Ended up choosing Amnesia.
Handled Totems Araquanid, Marowak, Togedemaru (with unnecessary Leech Seed support), and half of Mimikyu. Survived Adamant Sheer Force Life Orb Darmanitan too. (Bred that also.)

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Welcome to the club @Deva :) that's a seriously cool breeding ideology! As for your current project, is it a case of 'how can this now become a counter to that?' Just so I can understand it a bit more.

@Blucario - it was but it wasn't deliberate. I got an RNG'd 6IV Ditto from some people on the original Marriland forums a good few years back and I use that for breeding (they had a Japanese game so the Ditto has the *** tag), it just makes things easier in terms of IVs. Especially since I got through close to 10 batches of Friend Cyndaquil last night and I still don't have a HA one with the right IV spread yet. I did get the right IV spread on 2 eggs but they both had Blaze #typical

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Welcome to the club @Deva :) that's a seriously cool breeding ideology! As for your current project, is it a case of 'how can this now become a counter to that?' Just so I can understand it a bit more.
Relates to giving away eggs to anyone interested. Probably appeals most to people interested in an egg-based or more curated random Pokemon challenge (instead of Wonder Trade). Imagine hatching two eggs:
- Level 1 Gligar. Ability: Immunity. Moves: Poison Sting.
- Level 1 Charmander. Ability: Blaze. Moves: Dragon Pulse, Dragon Dance, Flare Blitz, and Outrage.

Who do you bring along? Probably Charmander. Knows useful moves right now. How long will it take Gligar to be good? Ten levels? Twenty? Cannot evolve without a Razor Fang from Bruxish (5% chance) either. Faces stiff competition from other Wonder Trade breedject offspring too, such as Gible and Mimikyu.

Wishes to narrow that performance gap. Loaded it with Sand Tomb, Wing Attack, Night Slash, and Cross Poison. Ought to tide it over until Bulldoze and Acrobatics. Fiddles with nature and Individual Values as necessary too. Settles for four perfect Individual Values.

Fafrir

Wild Side
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
@Fafrir : That's really cool! So, that means that you still have your Emerald and Leaf Green cartridges? How many :safariball: Safari Ball mons have you gotten so far?
I'm a little late replying to this. :P
I still do have them lying around and I should probably migrate some of the Safari mons at some point from my LG (Chansey included). As for competitive Safari Balls from those cartridges, I have Houndoom, Granbull, Azumarill, Miltank, Donphan, and probably some others. Off the top of my head, I've caught Aipom (took forever), Mareep, Chansey, Doduo, Rhyhorn, Pikachu, Natu, Girafarig, Hoothoot, Sunkern, and maybe some others. From a different game with the same ball I do have Toxicroak and Drapion and I got Aggron and Ludicolo from a giveaway.

Because I didn't know about the recent competition until like a week ago, I had to breed a Scraggy (Dream ball + Acid Spray), Foongus, and Litten (it was Adamant but I rebred for Careful).

As for Storyline breeding, I have done it before but it was basically for solo runs. Breed your own teams to counter the game is quite strategic.