Pokémon The Challenger's Clan: Marriland Edition!

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
Nickname: Vivid or Apollo

Name Color: This one!

Pokemon to represent you: Hmm...how about Glaceon and Alolan Vulpix? Along with Eevee, Glaceon and Vulpix are two of my favorite Pokémon!

Ongoing Challenges: I Won’t Wait For Someday! (Black 2 IdolDicelocke)

I’m also planning out a themed scramble called “Cherry Blossom Melancholy” on Omega Ruby, a PMD Challenge, and a few other challenges! I definitely want to do an Ice Monotype at some point....

Past Challenges: There’s a long list, and all of them were failed or cancelled.

Other: Pokémon!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Welcome! Always nice to see new members.

Even though Hau's Raichu and Olivia are going to be hard, there's still a part of me that wants to beat this Flying mono run. Growing weakness berries like Scott suggested might be the key to beating them. Whether I do finish this run or not, I know for sure I'm going to take a break from documenting challenge runs. I've been doing them nonstop since June and I'm starting to feel burnt out. To change things up, I'll document casual runs of Insurgence and Uranium. That should be a nice change of pace.

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
Okay, so I technically haven’t been accepted as a member yet, but something came up in my Black 2 challenge, and I need advice.

I actually lost “I Won’t Wait For Someday!” at the first gym battle because of what I consider to be some of the worst luck I could have had in this Nuzlocke. First, we went into the rival battle unprepared and lost Kaito to a critical hit. Then, we caught a Pokémon at Flocessy Ranch, but I got an 90~% combo, and I rolled a four, so I couldn’t keep him. Due to the Dicelocke roll on route 20, I couldn’t get a catch on route 20. Do you see the problem here?

If you don’t, let me explain what all of that means: if I wanted to go further in this Nuzlocke, I’d have to solo Cheren’s gym with a Patrat, and I’d have to win. There are only three catches available before Cheren’s gym in Black and White 2, and I had no more available catches.

Even those who have limited knowledge of B2/W2 can see that soloing the first gym with a Patrat, especially a Patrat with a minus attack nature and a low defense stat, is a bad idea.

I leveled Kiyoteru (my Patrat) up to 13 before the battle with Cheren (which is fair because Cheren’s Lilipup is level 13). I figured I could heal spam and still make it through the fight.

But no. This gets worse.

Lilipup was hitting Kiyoteru for 19 damage per turn, which is over half of Kiyoteru’s health (he has 37 HP). Kiyoteru died to that Lilipup from a critical hit. That’s bad enough. But before Lilipup crit’d him, he was at 35/37 health because I healed him that turn.

35/37 health. He was almost at full health, but Lilipup (who, may I mention, was only at one Work Up) got a critical hit that took him from 35 to zero.

I know I should have tried harder. I know I should have trained harder. I know I should have been more prepared for both the rival battle and Cheren. However, I still think that the fact that I lost this challenge entirely because of awful RNG is flat out unfair.

I don’t think there was any way for me to avoid this. Would he have survived if I got him up to level 14? Maybe. Would he have survived that critical hit if I used the fresh water instead of a normal potion? Possibly. It also could have just been delaying the inevitable.

...I’d like to give myself one more chance on this challenge. If I lose to Cheren again, or I wipe out again, I’ll accept defeat. I’m just...sick of failing challenges really early on, and I was really looking forward to this challenge.

Here’s the thing: I actually have a perfect way to work this into the story. The camera was off, and so the battle wasn’t recorded. Cheren recognizes how Apollo’s loss was not fair, and offers to give him one more shot, as long as he takes a penalty. I plan on enacting a severe penalty that will last for the rest of the run, but I’ll still be able to continue. If I do this, I’m not going to apply for the Hall of Fame if I win, since I technically broke the rules of a Nuzlocke.

Alternatively, I can start the game over, say I failed the first run, and do a “take two” of sorts. It’d be like doing a second version of it. I’d also probably add an extra restriction here, too, but not as harsh as if I took the first option. I’d also be able to apply to the Hall of Fame as long as the same thing didn’t happen in my second take.

I have three options: I can say that I failed and cancel the challenge all together; I can give myself a second chance, work my failure into the story, and take a severe penalty; I can say that I failed the challenge, restart the game, and do a take two with an added restriction. No matter what, I’d make it clear that I failed the first run of IWWFS.

What does everyone here think?

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Nickname: Dregran
Name Color: goldenrod
Pokemon to represent you: Shinx
Ongoing Challenges: Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke, Platinum Water Monotype, X Green Pokemon
Past Challenges: HeartGold Electivire Solo, Emerald Nuzlocke (failed)
Other: Pokemon!

That's the only two challenges I remember doing. Pretty sure I've done a few on BW and B2W2 but I just don't remember.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
I know I haven't been put on the list yet. I want to say that I stopped my solo run. It wasn't really fun anymore (being a bit too easy and the constant cutscenes).

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I’m cancelling “Soaring Under the Moon.” Olivia is proving to be too tricky.

For my next run, I’ll do another scramble. It'll be on X version. All I need to do is wait for one more Pokemon and I'm set.

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
@Vivid Stardust and @Greninjaman Don't worry about that too much, we can be forgetful with updating the OP sometimes :P One of us can re-adjust that. But welcome to the both of you! And @Dregran too. Anyway for Vivid...
Wow, that's not exactly something I can see as normal. But the idea of working your failure into the story that you had in mind does seem interesting! That's what I'd do, personally.
@Neb Awwwww ): Stinks that the type advantage has to be the one to make you want to end it.

But anyway, I haven't started anything new as of recent, though. I said on the last page a bit about what I've done on the 3/DS games as of recent, so here's my adventures with them over the last two years:
Platinum: Played once in spring this year for Azurilland Plays (Time Warp challenge from PokeCommunity)
HGSS: Played Soul Silver once in 2017 and once in 2018, the latter for Azurilland Plays (both Mono-Colors, Blue and Yellow respectively)
BW: Played Black in the spring for Azurilland Plays (Time Warp challenge from PokeCommunity)
B2W2: Played twice in 2017 (Blue Mono-Color on Black 2, Scolipede solo challenge on White 2 for Lush Jungle)
XY: Did a Purple Mono-Color on Y in 2017, then my X Rainbow Wedlocke in the spring and Grass Monotype on Y later in the year for Azurilland Plays
ORAS: Poison Monotype on Alpha Sapphire in 2017
SM: Haven't completed a full playthrough since USUM released, but I have done Dark, Electric and Fairy Monotypes (former on Moon, latter two on Sun), plus a Wonderlocke and a Blue Mono-Color on Moon
Ultra Sun: Water Monotype, Nuzlocke. There were one or two things I tried to start in between these two but ultimately was eager to get to the Nuzlocke.
Ultra Moon: Psychic Monotype, Bird Challenge, Green Mono-Color and Wonderlocke
This does leave me wondering on what I can settle with. It helps that earlier in the year more Time Warp variants were added!

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
I have settled on a Wonderlocke challenge.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
The scramble is doing well! I caught an Azurill, my first Pokemon for the team, and reached Viola's gym.

Feather32

Junior Trainer
Hope it's okay if I post even if I haven't been added to the list yet. My UltraMoon Wonderlocke is going pretty good. I only need two more Pokemon to start my Soulsilver Scramble.

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Hello! Just a reminder to submit your club to the HQ to make it official now that you have the required number of members.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Finished Update one of my Wonderlocke. Here's the link for it: Link

tacobowler

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Nickname: Tacobowler

Name Color: Let's go with green this time

Pokemon to represent you: Tropius and Wartortle

Ongoing Challenges: Ultra Moon Dark Mono (undocumented)

Past Challenges: Lots of -lockes and a few monotypes over all gens

Other: I Love Pokemon!

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Hi, Tacobowler! Welcome to the club.

Feather32

Junior Trainer
Well I finally got a few deaths in my Wonderlocke one was due to a really stupid move on my part. Still it is pretty fun hoping to do good the rest of the way through Akala island.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I know nothing about about Love Live, but the Idolocke has been a blast. Learning how to play this new rhythm game while not messing up on a nuzlocke can make for so much commentary potiential. After this I might do an Elitocke (An Elite Beat Agents variant of the Idolocke run I made.)

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
@Feather32 Really stupid moves? Believe me, you'll have plenty of those to see from me up ahead! :P

@Neb It is nice to hear that you're liking the Idolocke. That seems like way too much for me to list down, so I don't know if I could handle it! I don't think I'm gonna attempt anything super complex in the foreseeable future.

@tacobowler Welcome back! Nice to have you once more. So with your Platinum having gone failed, what will you do with the rest of the games you were planning to?

Anyway, I've been really busy but am hoping to get the next part of my Ultra Moon Wonderlocke out tonight. And after I catch all the legendaries on my secondary Ultra Sun I might wipe the save on that and start like a Time Warp challenge or something. But I do want to do something new in time, whether it be a Nuzlocke or otherwise!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I’m going to do do my X scramble offline from now on. Doing two challenges at once is way too much.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
One of these days, I should try a Ribombee solo of UM. That'd be hard XD

Eevee

Royale/Taller Lizzy
AKA
Lizzy (Taller); Royale; Raere
Time Zone
EST
Saw this club pop up, I love me some interesting Pokemon challenges and discussing it with da bois, so this seems to be the place! :D

Nickname: Can call me Eevee if you'd like, but that might get confusing lul. So, Lizzy or Royale works! :) (or Raere, but I think that name is less known on the forums :thonkazurill:)
Name Color: You can use this pretty ol' color called Pink Lace. #FFDDF4
Pokemon to represent you: Just two Leafeons is gucci. :leafeon:
Ongoing Challenges: ☼ An ULTRA Random Day! ☼ An UltraSun Randomizer Nuzlocke!
Past Challenges: The only completed challenge I've ever done is a HeartGold Wedlocke back on Azurilland. Still honestly one of the proudest things I've done on any forum, #poggers. Then I have a handful of random uncompleted challenges that I lost interest in. F in the chat.
Other: p o k e m o n

Last edited: