Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
The Marriland Forums have been around for a long time. First started back in the early 2000's and eventually picking up huge amounts of activity during the "Diamond and Pearl rush", they ended up creating a large and expansive community. From there, things only grew more as Marriland, the site owner, partnered with Curse in 2012 and brought the forums to a new platform. Come late 2015, the forums transitioned from being owned by Marriland to being their own separate community managed entirely by Curse, called Azurilland. In 2018, after Curse shut down the Azurilland site, we moved back under the Marriland brand here.

When we moved back to the old Marriland name, Marriland offered to keep us hosted and to fund the operation of the forums at his own cost. Thanks to his generous offer we've been able to keep the community alive and functioning on this site, keeping events and discussion ongoing. Unfortunately though, forum activity has continued to decline. Currently, we see more activity on our Discord server than we do on the forums themselves.

After discussing the current state of the forums with Marriland, we have decided that now would be the best time to close down them down. The activity on the boards is dwindling, and many areas are neglected. Going forward, our staff has decided that it would be in the best interest of the community to re-brand as a separate, Discord-only community.

The forums themselves will be open for a few more weeks, giving time for everyone to finish up anything they may be working on here on the boards. After that, they will be put into a read-only state where users will be able to log in and view private messages, threads, etc. but will be unable to post any new content. After this read-only period, the forums will be archived for a few months until they will eventually be taken down. While the forums are in this archived state, users will be unable to login and use forum features such as viewing private messages or the search function.

The timeline for this process will be as follows:
  • February 15th: the forums are put into read-only mode, allowing users to login but not post.
  • May 15th: the forums are archived, and users will no longer be able to login or use features such as PMs or searching the forums.
  • October 1st: the forums are taken down entirely.
Due to logistical reasons each phase may be delayed slightly but will not occur until the listed date (barring any sort of critical problem that would require action be taken sooner). Users who wish to have their account or posts deleted should do so before the archival process, as it will be harder to do afterwards.

Going forward the staff will continue to manage our Discord server, although we'll be rebranding as a separate community unattached to the Marriland name. The name of the community hasn't been decided yet, but we're excited to create it and move forward with the rest of you. As for the members who are only on the forums, we're happy to have you on the Discord server as well (the server invite can be found here)! That being said, we understand that some people found their home on the actual forums and not our server, and are sorry that we won't be able to provide a place for your challenges, clubs, roleplays, and discussions anymore.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the closure of the forums in this thread. Thank you for all the love and care you've put into this community - it's been a wonderful experience to be part of it with all of you.

---

EDIT 2/15/2021
The Discord community has chosen the name "Village Bridge" after a community-ran poll.

Last edited:

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I saw the news about this and it immediately made me very sad. I’ve been on Marriland Forums since November 2007, and saw the transition of phpBB 2 to 3, then to Curse, then back to Marriland here.

Marriland Forums was my very first forum I ever joined, and being here led to many friendships and fun times over the years. I began trading and battling online here. I played countless hours of G&OR games. I spent tons of time in the Chatterbox. I gradually became less active over the years but still checked in throughout the weeks. It’s been like a second home online to me. There were always members I recognized from the early years and I kept seeing smiling new faces.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end eventually. I’ll definitely pop into the Discord server more frequently than I have been.

I spoke with seaturtle and was given approval to share my site with anyone that is looking for a forum-structured site to go to from here. Poliwager Forums is also not the most active forum around these days, but we are happy to
anyone that wants a place to post the aforementioned challenges, clubs, or any other longer-winded topics. We’re small and friendly and also happen to like Pokémon. :)

I want to thank all the people I’ve met from here over the years. Thanks for being a place I could escape to while in middle school and high school especially. Thanks to all the staff over the years that helped keep this place special, and thanks to the staff who will continue to manage the Discord server. I’m excited to see what name it gets. ;) Marriland, I hope you read this, you’ve been such an inspiration to me over the years. I started my site partially because of this site. Thanks for helping the forums thrive for so long.

Farewell, Marriland Forums.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
Thanks @seaturtle, I can't imagine that was easy to post.

I'd just like to say thanks for the staff for continuing on with the forums for as long as they have - I've been behind the scenes and it really hasn't been easy over the years.

Becoming an admin still is one of the proudest moments of my life, and while I had a long hiatus from Pokémon (sorry for that!) it was an absolute pleasure, and those times will be fondly remembered. So yeah, thank you for that opportunity all them years ago.

Please let me know if there's anyway support you want for the Discord community, as my work / life balance is a bit easier than what it was before.

Thanks everyone, and best of luck for the future.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
While I did expect this, the forum closure finally becoming a reality still hits me hard.

Marriland may not have been my first forum but it still held a special place in my heart. Signing up as Scrafty and sticking with it for years was epic and with all those years comes newly found friendships as well as a becoming a moderator here for the first time ever. All those events I have hosted as well as participated in were always fun and I will remember them all to come.

Thank you, Marriland and farewell sweet prince.
June 26, 2012 - February 15, 2021

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
ahh, that's too bad.

I haven't been around for as long as a lot of you (November 2, 2018) and I've mostly been lurking for the last year or so, but it's still too bad to see it go - you guys seem pretty cool. I'll have to pop my head into the Discord once in a while.

Alex

The Firelord
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ardent, TorterraOats
Time Zone
EST
It's odd how life works, sometimes. I was just brushing my teeth before bed, ruminating over the poor moderation of a Discord I'm on, when I remembered I used to mod a forum myself. "Wonder how Marriland is doing these days?" How odd is it that I had this thought so soon after an announcement like this?

I grew up here. Joined in 2008 when I was 11 and I've been here on and off ever since. I did so much here, met so many people, and for a time it was all behind me. Many times, in fact. But I always came back. Now, 13 years later, the place that gave me so much to learn is no longer a place I can return to. It was bound to happen, we knew it was destined even when I was a mod. It still hurts.

At least we have the Discord! At least we can continue, because if there's one thing this community can do, it's persist through all the nonsense that comes our way.

Trance

resident marriland brony
AKA
Mike, PokeEpic
Time Zone
GMT+8
The first major internet community I was ever involved in was the Marriland Forums. I joined when I was a teen, started being active around August 27, 2013 and X/Y was about to come out, and now I'm an adult. I know my posting has slowed down a lot since then, but I will always have a place in my heart for this community.

I remember the G&OR madness, that's where I met and got to meet most of you, and the PokeCasual clubs, it all felt like one big family that's always active 24/7. Smash Camp 2014 was one of my best memories of the forums, it was so fun to be involved and represent these forums.

I really do regret that I have stopped being active that much, I want to check in more as the Discord will still be around. You guys were the first time I had internet friends, and I'll be always appreciative of that.

Thanks for everything, and all the good times and memories. <3

~PokeEpic/Trance

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Never developed deep roots here. Feels little impact from this. Sympathizes with those affected, though. Appreciates how homey a long-running community feels, even with little activity. Hopes that the Discord (or another replacement) keeps the community intact.

Miles

New Trainer
That makes me sad to hear that the site will be shut down. I've been on the old site since 2015 and made many friends over the years. While not very active here, I was planning on trying to come back and start RPing again, I will still miss this place. At least there's the Discord server where things can still be done. People to meet, RPs to do, and so on.

Farewell, Marriland, you helped create many friendships and awesome Roleplays.

gylfie

rawr
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
With nothing to bring in a regular stream of new members, this was inevitable. Still it somehow took me just a little by surprise.

I was most active in 2013 iirc and maybe it was just because my closest friends moved on, but it never felt the same after that year. I guess my last link to them will finally break, though the odds of them checking back in here were low already. I hope they’re doing well. what I wouldn’t give to talk to those that I can’t get in touch with, but I’m eternally grateful that I have a handful of them that I still talk to.

Feel free to add me on discord and strike up a conversation with me. I like chatting, even if I’m pretty terrible at regular correspondence. PM me if you can’t find me or want to add me on something else. yall know my instagram already lol

Speaking of, thanks for supporting my art all these years. I know it’s a small pond but to a fourteen year old who was in the cringe anime phase of her art (I say “was” as if I ever left it :thonkazurill: ), getting requests and interaction that I likely never would’ve gotten on an actual art site was a lot of fun (and maybe I liked the ego boost, haha). I won’t forget those of you that said kind things as I struggled through college and made a career out of it.

Thanks for the memories. I’ll miss this place.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Hey. It's me. I would lurk around from time to time. I came here for no reason really. Then I read that this place is getting shut down. During my time as a lurker, I noted that activity had declined. I have been a long time member of the Marriland Forums. I was there for the transition to Azuriland. Eventually I did leave and landed over at the Bulbagarden Forums. Later on, I heard that the Marriland Forums had shut down and was eventually deleted entirely.

3 years ago, I discovered this site. I signed up and spent some time here, though I eventually left again.

I thank you for the fun times I had.
Greninjaman, out!
*dives into the shadows*

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
The Marriland Forums have been my home on the Internet for 8 years. When I first joined I was a young, dumb kid, as I'm sure many of us were. I still felt welcome, though. I stuck around, put myself out there, tried some new things, and had a blast. I met people and had the occasional spat with some of them, but I always knew I would have a friendly, comforting place I could go. I credit the forum community entirely with developing my passions for competitive Pokemon battling and creative writing, both of which have defined my life in one way or another and kept me going through the good times and the bad.

The forums themselves have had some struggles, but they always kept fighting. I joined shortly after the transition to Curse, was present for the shift to Azurilland, and much to my surprise, was asked to be a moderator. I was very grateful for the opportunity. I've been so proud and glad to lead and serve this community. After another big shakeup, moving onto the independent Marriland Forums, I was promoted to Administrator, and it made my love for this place reach new heights. It was a sense of protectiveness, like I wanted to do anything and everything I could for this place.

Now, we've reached the end of that rope. I've done all I can. It's bittersweet. The forums weren't in the best shape they've ever been in, but they were still alive, and it's sad to see that go. I'm grateful for the friends I've picked up here along the way, and I will look back fondly for the rest of my life on the memories I made here with y'all. I'll still be on Discord, though, and I look forward to the further evolution of this community, even if the forums will no longer be part of that.

Typhlosion, return.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
I would recomend saving any stories you might have and/or any challenges. This way, you still have them when the forums is removed.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
If there are specific threads you want to save, you can also back them up via the Web Archive.

Comfort Eagle

Ye old forumite
AKA
CE
Marriland Forums was my very first forum I ever joined, and being here led to many friendships and fun times over the years. I began trading and battling online here. I played countless hours of G&OR games. I spent tons of time in the Chatterbox. I gradually became less active over the years but still checked in throughout the weeks. It’s been like a second home online to me. There were always members I recognized from the early years and I kept seeing smiling new faces.
G&OR games, you say? Members from the early years? Hmm...

I remember you and although my memory is hazy and damn near everyone who knew of me is long gone I'll never forget my time here, for this was my first forum aswell back in the summer of 2007. Before social media was even much of a term, let alone an alternative to this. I was one of those kids who joined during the "D/P rush". My stay quickly switched away from pokemon and onto the community and the forum however. The cool merit and demerit system, Battle.exe, members like Checkmate, Monkyomok, Draconas, Diarkia124, chickenator, Gunther and the countless others I conversed with over the years who also called this place home. I may have forgotten your names, but those feelings/memories still resonate with me even today.

Oh yeah, I posted alot too.. I remember spending more time here than a full time job, and posting over 800 times in a single day at one point.. Hey, I liked being here. I liked the staff, I liked the members (seriously, some amazingly kind and friendly people way back when) but most importantly I liked being someplace fun where I felt like I mattered.

Thanks for that.

R.I.P. Marriland Forums

Last edited:

Diarkia124

Post Count Champion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Andrew
IGN
Andrew

I remember you and although my memory is hazy and damn near everyone who knew of me is long gone I'll never forget my time here, for this was my first forum aswell back in the summer of 2007. Before social media was even much of a term, let alone an alternative to this. I was one of those kids who joined during the "D/P rush". My stay quickly switched away from pokemon and onto the community and the forum however. The cool merit and demerit system, Battle.exe, members like Checkmate, Monkyomok, Draconas, Diarkia124, chickenator, Gunther and the countless others I conversed with over the years who also called this place home. I may have forgotten your names, but those feelings/memories still resonate with me even today.

Oh yeah, I posted alot too.. I remember spending more time here than a full time job, and posting over 800 times in a single day at one point.. Hey, I liked being here. I liked the staff, I liked the members (seriously, some amazingly kind and friendly people way back when) but most importantly I liked being someplace fun where I felt like I mattered.

Thanks for that.

R.I.P. Marriland Forums
Imagine making hundreds of posts in a single day.

Honestly sad to see a forum I've been a part of for around half my life close permanently but times are different in 2021 than they were in 2007. Battling online was so easy back then and we had all of these tournaments going around, such a fun time.

Met a lot of people here and had some fun times so thank you Marriland Forums for all that.

Quilly

Moonstar
AKA
Aquil, Acryllix, Fluttershy
Time Zone
PST

Thanks for that.

R.I.P. Marriland Forums
What in the world.

You got 2 weeks to get to 50k man. Better get started.

I was a part of this community for idk 13 years? Had a lot of highs and lows. Mostly lows, but I have myself to blame for that. The fact of the matter is I made a few friends for life and if that’s all I got out of this experience then I’m happy.

Really great to see some old friends too.

Comfort Eagle

Ye old forumite
AKA
CE
Crazy to think how activity on forums has changed. I remember how happening it was here and on other forums. Wifi battles? Check. Signature/avatar shops? Check. Northern Lights I believe was one of the good folk who made me my own signature and avatar. Clubs? Those were alot of fun and drama. Logging out after spending all evening in a thread, only for it to swell up many more pages the next day. I quit when, it became clear the members I knew were gone (Diarkia and Slix, you guys are exceptional!) and the forums no longer looked like they used to.. I guess there's real life too! (Thanks for taking care of that, pandemic..)

2 weeks to get to 50k? Why that's only.... 3,571 posts a day! I'll just... Start downing some raw eggs, replying to my own posts, breaking the clicker on my mouse a few times over, Sounds like a worthy endeavor! Is anyone else sweating profusely??........No?????......Anybody???.......Just me??!!

P.S. I just noticed the "Thonk" button. How I did I manage for so long without it? Please to you fine folks reading this, Thonk this post! (That's how it works, right? Old timer here. :O :thonkazurill:)

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
@Comfort Eagle: Dude. It is so good to see you! You were one of the first people I remember seeing all the time and wondering how you managed to get to the silver rank bar before anyone else. I only managed to get a sliver of silver before those ranks went away... It also took me years to realize what your username was from. XD

I hope you hang around the discord some! All the things you mentioned doing years ago resonate with me too. Times change but some of us are still here together. :)

Comfort Eagle

Ye old forumite
AKA
CE
I'll have you know I'm still silver, just on my face now when I forget to shave. :)

(Not that old, it's a genetic thing :O)

Never used Discord before, but I'll give it some thought.