The Competitive Battling Quick Q&A Thread

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Competitive Battling Quick Q&A Thread
Need advice on a certain moveset? Not sure what a certain ability or item does? Need advice on which Pokémon to add to your team? Ask them in this thread, and someone can help you!

What To Ask in this thread:
-Help with an idea moveset for a Pokémon
-Ratings for your moveset
-How x affects y (I.E: How does Sandstorm affect Solar Beam? What happens when you use a Z-Move on a Pokémon using Protect?)
-Other general questions that would not have further discussion value

What not to ask in this thread:
-In-Game Team help: Those questions have their own Q&A thread
-Full Competitive Teams: If you want help with an entire team, please make a separate thread
-Battes: You can ask for battles in the Quick Battles Thread
-Open-Ended Questions or Speculations: These types of questions warrant their own threads

If you need any more help, please feel free to ask our Competitive Moderator, Typhlosion

Last edited by a moderator:

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Do players on this site play according to Smogon/VGC/anything else or do you have your own meta game here?

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Funny you should ask right about now. Typically we do follow Smogon's lead, and you can see that our recent tournaments have used their tiers like RU, LC, etc. However, one of our dedicated competitive battlers is setting up his second annual draft league for the forums, and we'll be playing with a somewhat doctored custom tier based on OU.

NewAgain

New Trainer
Starting again after 10 years. Bunch and bunch of questions to ask! I Googled them but couldn't really find anything on it:

1. Where do I find builds for my pokemon? There used to be websites back in the days that would help you find the best builds/stats for your pokemons!
This would really help since I don't know much about the newer gens!

2. Do people still use AR like back in the days or do they now farm and train their pokemons naturally?

3. Where do I find a tier list of competitive PvP? I can only find in-game tier lists somehow.

4. Where do I find the rules (explained) of PvP of nowadays?

Would love someone to help me out over here.

Thanks in advance and it feels good to be back!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Starting again after 10 years. Bunch and bunch of questions to ask! I Googled them but couldn't really find anything on it:

1. Where do I find builds for my pokemon? There used to be websites back in the days that would help you find the best builds/stats for your pokemons!
This would really help since I don't know much about the newer gens!

2. Do people still use AR like back in the days or do they now farm and train their pokemons naturally?

3. Where do I find a tier list of competitive PvP? I can only find in-game tier lists somehow.

4. Where do I find the rules (explained) of PvP of nowadays?

Would love someone to help me out over here.

Thanks in advance and it feels good to be back!
Hello! Welcome back to competitive battling. I merged your thread with our Competitive Battling Quick Q&A thread as the kinds of questions you're asking seem to fit well here. It's always a good idea to check up on any sticky threads in each subforum so you don't miss anything before making a new thread!

1. Smogon University is going to be your ultimate resource for answering questions about competitive builds. They have articles written for almost every Pokemon in every generation.
2. With successive generations have come a lot of improvements that make it easier to raise Pokemon naturally. There are also online battle simulators such as Showdown! that you can use to test teams. I can't speak to how popular AR is anymore as I've never looked into it myself.
3 and 4. Again, Smogon is going to be your best bet. I think what you're looking for can be found on this page. You could also try this index of usage stats and scroll down to the pages for "gen7battlespotsingles."

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Lord Kramp

New Trainer
Here is a good starting guide: https://www.trainertower.com/a-comprehensive-introduction-to-vgc/ . If you have played competitive before you probably know some of this stuff but reading through it all is a good idea since they added some new mechanics. This dex has all the good competitive things and sets: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ . There are lots of interesting stuff on Smogon and play.pokemonshowdown.com. There is both VGC and OU, I like VGC better but you can choose.
Hope this helps

NewAgain

New Trainer
Sorry for posting in the wrong section, I did read it but still thought it belonged there, my bad!

That helps a lot guys, thank you so much!!! :) Exactly what I was looking for :uwuazurill::uwuazurill:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Alright, I've got a question of my own. How do items work with Dynamax? Some appear to keep their function, such as Life Orb, but I know that Choice items have their locking function disabled.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion As far as I know, only choice items and Gorilla Tactics are disabled. With choice items you lose the boost as well, but I'm not sure the same applies for GT. All other items seem to work as usual while dynamaxing.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Does anyone know of any mass damage calculators? The ones I used to use aren't up anymore!

Basically want to check EV spreads against meta VGC Pokémon, but don't want to be running through each one individually.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I assume by "mass damage calculator" the Showdown! one isn't what you have in mind? Unfortunately I don't know any others aside from that. It does have a "one vs all" mode I've never explored so maybe that could work.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I assume by "mass damage calculator" the Showdown! one isn't what you have in mind? Unfortunately I don't know any others aside from that. It does have a "one vs all" mode I've never explored so maybe that could work.
I will have another look at Showdown, but it takes so long to type on a phone :(.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Another question: just bred an Adamant Rillaboom, but no idea what I should be hitting EV wise. I've read a lot about Rillaboom + Weezing leads, so thought I'd give it a go!

Rillaboom (M) @ Assault Vest / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 50
EVs: 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Hammer Arm

Weezing-Galar @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat / Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Taunt
- Protect

Main point of this is to screw over set up leads. Fake Out breaks Sashes (looking at you Whimsicott!) and has higher priority than Follow Me, so I can Fake Out Indeedee and Taunt Dusclops, for example, thanks to Neutralizing Gas turning off Psychic Surge.

Drum Beating for utility, and with 52 Speed, I think I outrun Excadrill after the Speed drop (again, thanks to Neutralizing Gas!). Knock Off for Psychics, Ghosts and more utility, and U-turn for the inevitable switch. Shame Rillaboom shares the same Speed as Indeedee, I don't know if I want to run Jolly max Speed just to tie with it. 52 Speed for speed creep on no speed Rotom Wash.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
With Isle Of Armour out, I've bred myself a new Starmie got really lucky getting a 6 IV too :D. What's the best 4 moves for it though? I'm thinking:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam / Power Gem / Thunderbolt / filler?

Partnered with either an Eviolite Clefairy or support Intimidate Arcanine, both with Helping Hand. The idea is that with the type coverage, Helping Hand boost, it will OHKO so much of the metagame with a Dynamax boost. Hydro Pump for power, Psyshock for if I'm running dual special attackers and OHKOing Venusaur and Amoongus after a Helping Hand boost, Grass Knot for Gastrodon (who I can see going up in usage) and last move for coverage.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
This is for VGC, I take it? I'm not sure what the biggest threats are, but without Ice Beam your set is wide open to things like Tangrowth and Hydreigon. If you're planning to Dynamax this Starmie that could also be nice for disrupting opposing weather strategies.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
This is for VGC, I take it? I'm not sure what the biggest threats are, but without Ice Beam your set is wide open to things like Tangrowth and Hydreigon. If you're planning to Dynamax this Starmie that could also be nice for disrupting opposing weather strategies.
Yeah I was thinking Ice Beam too. In SS Ice has been a bit of a meh attacking type, but Isle Of Armour added loads of Grass, Dragons and Flying types, I think it's going to be much more useful.

Thanks!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
So @Vaporeon gave me a Jolly Snorunt, and I kinda want to do something with it.

However - Glalie has never had a Doubles or VGC analysis on Smogon, and doesn't have any usage on the VGC ladder...

I did, however, find this.

Glalie @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 174 HP / 84 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Freeze-Dry
- Sheer Cold

The idea is that he sets up on slower Pokémon, and go to town. With a Follow Me or Prankster Thunder Wave, he can get a free turn to set up Substitute, and start stacking stats. If you can't break the Sub, then he's just going to get more and more stats, making it harder to break said Substitute and Protect cycle.

Half tempted to go with this, a Follow Me user, and a ton of bulky offensive threats. You have to invest in dealing with him, but on the other hand, focusing on him won't amount for much.

He's got some other useful support stuff (Inner Focus to protect against Fake Out) but otherwise, not a lot that Froslass gets...

...Actually, Froslass has the same attacking stats, and better Speed. Trick Band / Scarf could be cool on something immune to Fake Out...

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Why Sheer Cold? I don't believe that Moody is capable of providing accuracy boosts anymore. I would suggest Toxic but that's probably out of the question if this Snorunt was provided in SwSh directly. The Smogon set lists Disable in the fourth moveslot which could certainly have some applications.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Plus, starting in gen III, Accuracy and Evasion boosts/drops don't affect OHKO moves. If you're going competitive, since all pokemon are level 50, Sheer Cold will always have 30% unless you use Lock On.

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I think Sheer Cold is its best answer to beat bulky 'mons he's using as set up fodder. At the end of the day, a +6 Freeze Dry isn't going to 2HKO everything that resists it. Sheer Cold at least beats them 30% of the time, and out of 8 goes, you're likely to get at 1-2 hits. That's 1-2 dead counters.

*shrug*, got any other ideas for a Jolly, Hidden Ability Snorunt? Froslass might be an option instead,but not seen many on the VGC ladder to consider it.