Nuzlocke Monotype The Complete Monotype Nuzlocke Journey!

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
The Complete Monotype Nuzlocke Journey

Hello everyone! I’ve been thinking about doing something new and monotype Nuzlockes have been on my mind lately. This is going to be a massive journey so it will take some serious time and patience. I plan to go through each generation through gen 5 and doing a monotype Nuzlocke with every available type. Here are the rules for which types I can use:

1. Must be available before the first badge.
  2. Can use Pokémon who later evolve into that type. Example-charmander works for a mono flying run.
  3. Have to be able to field a team of at least 5 Pokémon. This usually rules out a few types in the early gens like ice and dragon.
The games I will play are:

RBY

GSC

RSE

DPP

BW or BW2(depending on types due to there being different available types in the beginning)

Nuzlocke Rules:

1. If a Pokémon faints it is considered dead and must be boxed/released
  2. Must nickname all Pokémon
  3. No legendaries
Adjusted Rules:

1. Encounters: Due to this being a monotype run there is no encounter limitations. This is due to sometimes having to catch multiple Pokémon in the same route to complete your monotype team.
  2. No Reusing: If a Pokémon dies, you cannot catch the same Pokémon or its species to use again. So let’s say my pidgeot dies. I cannot use that evolution line again to replace him.
  3. Level Cap: must be no more than 5 levels higher than any gym leader or E4 Champions highest level.

With all that out of the way, here are all of the types to run in Gen 1.

Gen 1:
Fire, water, grass, flying, poison,
Normal, ground, bug, electric

Normal: Easy
Grass: Medium
Fire: Medium
Water: Easy
Electric:Medium
Poison:Medium
Bug:Hard

Last edited:

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
So I figured what better way to start off than with the most basic type! We are doing a normal type run first. Normal is actually very good in Gen 1 with some stars like Snorlax, Tauros, Chansey and others. I do have a planned team of six as you will find out through the run. Let’s begin!

Our first Pokémon we are going with is Pidgey. I think he gives us the best chance against Brock. Pidgeot will be replaced later by dodrio but that’s a long way away. So I catch the Pidgey, name is Brock after it’s sole purpose in this run, and grind up for Brock. I get to level 16. Against geodude I sand attack six times and take it down with about 14 quick attacks and gusts. Onix is a bit scarier. I use the same tactic as I shatter his accuracy. However, he landed two screeches so tackle does a little under half now. So I start quick attacking and gusting and whenever he hits tackle I hear. Took a while but there was no real way for him to KO me. Badge 1 done!

I head to Mt Moon and spend about 30 painful minutes looking for clefairy. Finally get one and name it Moon. This is the first true team member for the long haul. It’s got a great movepool especially with the tms it can use. Get through mount Moon no problem. I take on my rival and get an easy win. I’ve already turned clefairy into a clefable at this point. I go talk to bill so so the police will clear the way east of the city. Here’s why. My next permanent team member will be a Persian. Meowth are found south of cerulean. So I go get me one named Gio after the boss. Persian is great in Gen 1. Gets tons of crits because of the insane speed. I take on misty and clefable sweeps no problem with Mega Punch.

I head down and clear the SS Anne and take on Surge. Clefable again puts in work here to take out Raichu in two mega punches after meowth took out the first two. I head to rock tunnel and reach lavender.

I headnover to celadon and take on Erica as I’m already level capped for her. Pidgeotto makes quick work of her with fly. This is the end of my training of pidgeotto as I won’t use him any further. I clear the rocket place and ghost tower and finally I can get my next few members!

I go catch snorlax by cycling road named Lax. I head south to Fuschia and into the safari zone for my next two encounters. I catch a dodrio named Nex. After having three necks of course. This is pidgeottos replacement. The superior flying Pokémon in Gen 1 is dodrio. I also finally find a chansey after a while and name it Clerica. Absolute special wall, and thanks to the no split in Gen 1 makes for great special attack. Just can’t get hit physically too much. I will return here after being able to surf to catch a Tauros. I’m the final area by where you get surf there’s a 4 percent chance to find one. The highest of anywhere in there.

That’s where I left off for now as I grind up the new team members for Koga! Here’s the squad:

:clefable: Moon lvl 37
Psychic
Sing
Bubblebeam
Thunderbolt

:persian: Gio Lvl 35
Bite
Pay Day
Scratch
Growl

:snorlax: Lax lvl 35
Body slam
Surf
Amnesia
Rock Slide

:dodrio: Nex Lvl 34
Drill peck
Fly
Growl
Tri Attack

:chansey: Clerica Lvl 34
Strength
Ice beam
Thunder wave
Seismic toss

Finished grinding up for koga. Got the team to about 40/41. I led with Moon. She one shot both koffings with psychic. Snorlax took out Muk with two body slams. Moon took out weezing in two psychics.

Went to safari zone and got a Tauros after a few tries going in. Named it Horny. Because I’m a 4 year old. Went and deafeated karate dojo and silph co. Went to take on Sabrina. Horny took out kadabra and mr mime with body slam. Nex took out Venomoth with drill peck. Clerica took out Alakazam with thunder wave and seismic toss.

Went and grinded against all the surf trainers and got the team up to 44/45. At this point I’ve left Gio behind the rest. He just wasn’t up to par with the rest. I head to take on Blaine. Horny gets a total sweep with Earthquake. Arcanine barely survived and landed a fire blast, but only did a bit over half so I finished him.

Went straight to Giovanni next. Moon one shot ryhorn with bubblebeam then took out nidoking and queen with psychic. Nex one shot dugtrio with drill peck. Moon one shot Rydon with bubblebeam. Final badge done!

After taking out the rival, I head through victory road and reach the E4. I grind the team up to lvl 50 and enter the E4. Here’s the squad before entering:

:clefable: Moon lvl 50
Psychic
T Bolt
Bubblebeam
Sing

:persian: Gio Lvl 41
Bite
Growl
Screech
Pay day

:snorlax: Lax lvl 50
Body slam
Blizzard
Surf
Rock slide

:dodrio: Nex Lvl 50
Drill peck
Toxic
Fly
Tri Attack

:chansey: Clerica Lvl 50
Ice beam
Fire blast
Strength
T Wave

:tauros: Horny lvl 50
Body slam
EQ
Tail whip
Stomp

Lorelei up first. I take out dewgong in 2 body slams from Lax. Moon two shot Cloyster with T Bolt and two shot slowbro the same. Clerica two shot jynx with Fire Blast. Clerica paralyzed lapras with t wave. Then got a couple fire blasts off before switching to Horny to finish with body slam.

Bruno next. Moon one shot bubblebeam on Onyx. Then one shot hitmonchan with psychic. Nex one shot hitmonlee with drill peck. Lax surf on Onyx one shot. Nex two shot machamp with drill peck after he went for Fissure. Lol. Gen 1 mechanics are just strange.

Agatha next. Horny swept. EQ on gengar, body slam Golbat two shot, EQ on haunter, arbok, and gengar. Tauros is broken Gen 1.

Lance next. Moon one shot gyarados with t bolt. Clerica two shot both dragonairs with ice beam after eating dragon rages. Snorlax two shot surf on aerodactyl after taking a hyper beam. Clerica two shots dragonite with ice beam after he goes for barrier and agility. Lol. Gen 1 mechanics again.

Final rival battle. Lax two shot body slams Pidgeot. Stays in to one shot surf rydon. Horny one shot crits EQ on arcanine. Nex two shot drill pecks exxegutor. Clerica takes out alakazam with a combo of t wave and fire blast/ice beam. Blastoise up last. I go into Gio to be a sacrifice. I take two turns to heal up other members as blastoise kills Gio. I go into Nex to get a toxic off to be safe but I miss and he one shot blizzards me. I go into Moon and take it out in two thunderbolts.

Normal was overall pretty easy. I think I’m going to rank each type at the end either Easy/Medium/Hard. I’m thinking the hardest will be bug, grass, and electric for gen 1. I’m going to do a random roll each time to pick the next type to run with.

Last edited:

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
I figured that after normal I should run the types of the starters next. I’m going with grass first. Heading into it I think this will be a hard challenge. Grass is not a great type in many games and it’s definitely true in gen 1. But there are a few that are very good.

I start with Gaia the bulbasaur and quickly defeat Brock as I head to mount moon for my next team member. After searching for a while I finally get a paras named shrooms. He’s got good attack and a pretty good movepool for gen 1.

I reach cerulean and defeat my rival and head north. I catch our third team member, a bellsprout named Trap. The combo of stun Spore and wrap in Gen 1 is broken. I head back down after getting the ticket and beat misty easily.

I head south and clear the ss Anne and defeat surge. Parasect has dig which made him easy. I breeze through rock tunnel and pass lavender. I’ve started skipping trainers so I don’t overlevel for Erika. I reach her and take her down fairly easily with Parasect between leech life and dig. Bug is super effective against poison in Gen 1, so leech life is 4x against two of her mons.

I go take care of rocket and the poke flute to clear snorlax ASAP because my next two team members require me to get to safari zone and be able to use surf. I head down cycling road and reach the safari. I catch an exxegcute named Eggi. I give him the leaf stone and we have an exxegutor. Which is the best mon on my team. I teach him psychic and strength and he becomes my answer to Alakazam. Here’s the key in any Gen 1 run. Come up with a plan to beat the Alakazams. They can end your run quickly.

I grind up a bit and sweep koga with Eggi using psychic. Now for my fifth and final team member. I head to Pallet town and surf south to the grass just below. I find my Tangela named Bush. Decently bulky Pokémon and with some Tms he becomes useable. I grind up everywhere possible before Sabrina. She actually was easy between Parasect and Eggi. Parasect took down the first two, Eggi took down the second two.

Now for the hardest part for the grass run. Blaine. Arcanine is a huge threat. It’s fast which means it gets a lotta crits. And it has fire blast. What makes Gen 1 even harder is the opponent has unlimited PP. so u can’t stall like later games. So I grind up the team for hours until I get all 5 members to the max possible level allowed. Arcanine is Lvl 47 which allows me to be lvl 52. Eggi outspeeds the first 2 and one shot psychics. I swap to Gaia to body slam and wear down Rapidash. Luckily it’s only fire move is fire spin which isn’t powerful and not very accurate. Finally we reach arcanine. I start with Tangela and luckily survive the first fire blast. If it was a crit I was screwed. I then land a toxic. Now I’ve got the advantage. I switch to Eggi who has the highest special on my team and can take the fire blasts the best. I even take a crit barely. So I heal up and toxic wears him down and he misses fire blast as psychic finishes him. If I wasn’t level 52 I could not have beat him. The bug type run will be painful against Blaine. I’ll prolly lose a few against him.

I head to the eight gym and easily take out Gio with my type advantage. I beat the rival and move on. Luckily his alakazam is no threat because of Eggi. I get through victory road and reach the E4. I spend a ton of time grinding up close to the max possible level for the E4. The rivals highest is 65 so I could grind to 70 but I lost my patience lol. So I grinded to 65. Here’s the final squad before heading in:

:venusaur: Gaia Lvl 65
Razor leaf
Poison powder
Leech seed
Body slam

:parasect: Shrooms lvl 65
Slash
Spore
Dig
Leech life

:victreebel: Trap lvl 65
Razor leaf
Stun spore
Wrap
Acid

:exeggutor: Eggi Lvl 65
Psychic
Strength
Reflect
Hypnosis

:tangela: Bush lvl 65
Mega drain
Toxic
Solar beam
Cut

Lorelei up first. Gaia takes out dewgong, Cloyster, and slowbro with crit razor leafs. Parasect takes out jynx with a crit slash after taking an ice punch. Swap to Eggi for lapras. Thanks to the high special I can take blizzard pretty well. After 3 psychics and a couple heals I take it down.

Bruno up next. Bush takes out onyx with mega drain. Eggi takes out the Hitmons with psychic. Bush takes out the other onyx with mega drain. Eggi takes out Machamp with psychic.

Agatha was a complete sweep with Eggi and psychic. Nothing to see here lol.

Lance up next. Bush toxic stalls Gyarados adding a few mega drains to take it out. Eggi one shot psychics the dragonairs. Bush toxic and mega drains the aerodactyl. Bush has high defense so takes aerodactlys hyper beams. I stay in to toxic dragonite then swap to Eggi to take it out in 2 psychics.

Final battle with the rival. Gaia takes down Pidgeot in 3 body slams after taking sky attack. Eggi two shots alakazam with strength. Bush toxic stalls and mega drains to take out gyarados. Parasect two shot leech lifes exxegutor. Bush one shot mega drains rydon. Finally the hardest Pokémon in the run to deal with. The level 65 Charizard. I use the same strat as arcanine. Bush takes a fire blast just barely and gets off a toxic. I use the next turn to heal up Eggi to full. Bush goes down. I send in Parasect to waste another toxic turn. Parasect gets one shot. I swap to Gaia and take a fire blast then get a leech seed off. Now charizard is poisoned and seeded. Gaia goes down next turn. Charizard has killed 3 of my members but now it’s screwed. I go to Eggi as the toxic and seed takes away a good chunk of health, allowing me to take fire blast once and finish him with psychic.

Coming into this run I thought grass would be hard. But with exxegutor it was easier than I thought. Due to the difficulty of Blaine and the rival having charizard, I think the difficulty ended up being Medium. Would have probably been impossible without Exxugutor. I plan on doing Fire next. There’s only 5 possible Pokémon on it. Growlithe won’t be an option either. It’s exclusive to one game where as Vulpix and magmar are exclusive to the other. I think this will be a hard one. Especially Lorelei and Giovanni.

This run actually took two attempts. Misty was very difficult. I only had charmeleon available to me and even with it 5 levels higher than starmie I couldn’t beat it in my first attempt. Starmie 2 hit KOs a level 26 charmeleon. Basically you have to have some good luck by the AI choosing dumb moves and by landing at least two mega punches. Luckily it only took my second run to do this. But it’s my first official fail on these monotype runs. Instead of the long winded run logs I’ll post the important points: gym leaders and E4 as well as catching the team members.

We start off the fire run with charmander named Ace. Head up and defeat brick after grinding up to level 16 to a charmeleon. We head through mount moon defeat the rival in cerulean and take on misty.

Here is the hardest part of the fire run by far. Starmie is so dangerous with bubblebeam. It two shots my max leveled charmeleon at level 26. I learned this on my first run where I failed and restarted. Turn one I land mega punch taking it to half health. It lands bubblebeam and takes me to 20 hp. I hit another mega punch and it survives. Here’s where luck comes in. Misty uses and X Defend instead of finishing me. So I kill with ember. This could have been brutal because of the luck factor involved.

Surge was easy as charmeleon knew dig. Everything was one shot.

Before taking on Erika I added two new team members. I got eevee and evolved it to Flareon named Flint. I also got a vulpix named Kurama. Erika went down easy with my fire team.

Koga was fairly easy with Ninetails flamethrower and charizards dig.

Sabrina was easy with slash from charizard. Slash in Gen 1 basically crits every time if the Pokémon is decently fast.

I reach cinnabar and add the final two team members. Dash the ponyta and Solar the Magmar. I grind up and take on Blaine. He was a piece of cake as charizard wrecked shop with EQ.

Giovanni was easy due to EQ and Flamethrowers from charizard. As well as psychics from Magmar.

We grind up in victory road and have prepared for the E4. Here’s the final squad:
Ace(Charizard) lvl 65
Flamethrower
Slash
EQ
Fire Spin

Kurama(Ninetails) Lvl 65
Flamethrower
Confuse Ray
Toxic
Quick attack

Flint(Flareon) lvl 65
Body slam
Fire spin
Flamethrower
Bite

Dash(Rapidash) lvl 65
Fire blast
Fire spin
Stomp
Tail whip

Solar(Magmar) lvl 65
Flamethrower
Confuse ray
Psychic
Fire Punch

Lorelei first. She scared me the most coming in. Ninetails two shots dewgong with flamethrower. Two shots Cloyster as well. Charizard three shots slowbro with slash. Flareon two shots jynx with body slam. I go to ninetails and confuse ray lapras as it hits itself. I hit flamethrower to take it low. It hits me with hydro pump but I survive with about 30 hp and finish with flamethrower.

Bruno was easy. Total magmar sweep with psychic until machamp. I swap to charizard and two shot with flamethrower. Since charizard is primary fire the AI reads that it should use a ground move so he uses Fissure uselessly.

Agatha was a complete sweep with charizards EQ.

Lance up next. Gyarados was scary. I decided to go with Flareon and body slam. Luckily I got the crit and paralyze as he landed a hyper beam. He had to recharge so I finished him off. Against the dragonairs I used magmar and took each out in two psychics. Aerodactyl went down to two psychics as well. For dragonite I used charizard and slash. Got two crits to take it out. It used barrier but crits go through barrier so it was useless.

Finally the rival. Ninetails two shot flamethrower on pidgeot. Alakazam was one shot by crit slash from charizard. Rhydon went down to two EQs from charizard. Exxegutor went down to two flamethrowers from magmar. Arcanine got one shot by charizard EQ. Blastoise up last. This thing is tough in this run. I start with ninetails and get off a toxic then it one shots me with hydro pump. Rapidash goes in next to try to get some flinches with stomp. I get one but then he finishes me with hydro pump. At this point the toxic has worn him down low. I send in charizard knowing I’ll outspeed. I finish him with slash.

Third type complete! Overall I’d give Fire a medium difficulty Grade. Mainly due to only being able to have a level 29 charmeleon for misty and having only 5 available fire types. The next type I’ll be running is water to finish off the starter types.

Here is the gym by gym summary of the mono water type run in Pokémon blue!

1st Member: Cannon the Squirtle

1st badge-Brock: easy sweep with bubble from Cannon one shotting geodude and onyx.

2nd Member: Bought the Magikarp from the old man. Gyarados is a monster in Gen 1 with the single special stat. Named it Draco.

2nd gym-Misty: Cannon takes out staryu with one mega punch. Then takes out starmie in 2 mega punches after taking a bit of damage.

3rd gym-Lt. Surge: This was a scary one. I’ve actually had to skip many trainers in order to not overlevel for this fight. I get Cannon to level 29 and teach him dig to take on the electric gym. Pikachu and voltorb go down to one dig each. Raichu comes out and lands a t bolt on me. I survive with 14 HP. If it was a crit I’d have lost then and there, as gyarados was low level and couldn’t outspeed. I dig to one shot him. Raichu is luckily frail.

3rd Member: I get the eevee and evolve it into vaporeon. Nice classic bulky water Pokémon. I name it Vape. Real original I know.

4th gym: I teach vaporeon ice beam and take on Erika. I lead with gyarados so u can resist victreebells crit razor leaf. It may one shot vaporeon or wartortle. I outspeed and take it out in two body slams after taking a razor leaf. I swap to vaporeon for Tangela to one shot with ice beam. I swap back to gyarados for vileplume. Two body slams later Erika is defeated.

4th Member: I get the rod I need and find a staryu. I name it misty. I use the water stone on it to evolve to starmie. This thing is a god this game. It’s coverage is insane with its speed and special stats.

5th gym-Koga: Koga was a piece of cake after teaching Starmie Psychic. Starmie one shot all four Pokémon.

5th Member: I get the lapras in Silph Co. I name it Nessie. Great water/ice type with powerful special and good HP.

6th gym-Blaine: I know, Sabrina is technically the 6th gym but I can take on Blaine much easier due to having a water team. So I take on Blaine first. I one shot surf with starmie on the first three Pokémon. For arcanine I switch to Blastoise and two shot surf after a pointless roar.

7th gym-Sabrina: Don’t know why I was so scared but this was easy. Gyarados one shots kadabra and mr mime with body slam. Then he One shot fire blasts Venomoth. Swap to starmie for alakazam. 3 surfs take it out. His psybeam barely hurt starmie.

8th gym-Giovanni: This was about as easy as it gets in the water run. Starmie one shot surfs ryhorn and dugtrio. One shot psychics nidoqueen and king. One shot surfs rhydon.

Here’s is the final squad after grinding up and before taking on the E4:

Cannon(Blastoise) Lvl 65

Surf

EQ

Strength

Blizzard

Draco(Gyarados) Lvl 65

Surf

Body slam

Fire blast

Hyper beam

Vape(Vaporeon) Lvl 65

Surf

Ice beam

Toxic

Bite

Misty(Starmie) Lvl 65

Surf

Psychic

Thunderbolt

Thunder wave

Nessie(lapras) Lvl 65

Surf

Ice beam

Body slam

Solar beam

1st E4-Lorelei: Starmie one shot t bolts dewgong, Cloyster, and crits slowbro. Blastoise two shot EQ on Jynx. Starmie two shot t bolt on lapras.

2nd E4-Bruno: Complete Starmie sweep. Surf on onyx, psychic on hitmonchan and lee, surf on second onyx and psychic on machamp.

3rd E4-Agatha: Ready for another starmie sweep? This is why he’s a god in Gen 1. With ice beam he can one shot the entire E4. Psychic on gengar, psychic on Golbat, psychic on haunter, psychic on arbok, psychic on gengar.

4th E4-Lance: to start off I one shot gyarados with thunderbolt from starmie. Nessie ice Beam one shots both dragonairs. Then one shot crit surf on aerodactyl. Then I get a one shot ice beam on dragonite. Man dragonite can’t take ice attacks.

Final Battle-Champion: Nessie one shot ice beams pidgeot. Starmie three shots alakazam with surf after paralyzing him with thunder wave. Starmie ate his psychics very well. Starmie one shot thunderbolts gyarados. One shot surfs rhydon. Two surfs take out arcanine and two psychics take out Venusaur!

That was the first mono type run without losing a mon. Water was and I think will be for sure the easiest type in Gen 1. So many great Pokémon to use and it’s a crippling type to the E4. I’ll be doing electric next as I think that will change up the difficulty. Only 5 electric types that I can use and two aren’t very good in Gen 1.

Last edited:

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
Here is the gym by gym summary of the mono electric type run in Pokémon Red! I had to go with red to be able to get electabuzz.

1st Member: Mickey the Pikachu. Took forever to find one in viridian forest but finally got one.

1st badge-Brock: grinded pikachu to the max level for the challenge. I go in level 19. I quick attack the geodude about 13 times to take it out. Onyx comes out as I use 6 growls to drop his attack as much as possible. Whenever he bides I heal or t wave. After about 15 quick attacks he finally goes down.

2nd gym-Misty: Pikachu took out misty easily with a few thundershocks.

3rd gym-Lt. Surge: I max level pikachu to level 29. I knock out pikachu and voltorb with mega Punch. I land mega punch on Raichu and take a t bolt. I live on 20 HP and finish it off with a quick attack. If that t bolt was a crit or I miss mega Punch I lose this battle.

2nd Member: I catch a voltorb named ballz. This thing sucks move set wise. However, with a few tms he can be useable. He is the fastest Pokémon in Gen 1 so he gets lots of crits.

3rd Member: I get the eevee and use a thunder stone to evolve it to Jolteon named Volt. I teach it thunderbolt to take advantage of the high speed and special.

4th gym: I mainly use Micky to take on Erika. He knows body slam and uses it to his advantage. Body slam two shots victreebell as he misses razor leaf. Jolteon three shots Tangela with t bolt. Mickey two shots vileplume with body slam, one was a crit.

5th gym-Koga: Jolteon took care of business here. T bolt swept until weezing. Took two to take it out.

4th Member: I finally can surf to the power plant for our final two members. First, we catch Magneton and name it Pluggz.

5th Member: next we catch Electabuzz and name him Buzz. This is the key to our run.

6th gym-Sabrina: Mickey one shot body slam kadabra. Jolteon two shot t bolt mr mime after he uses a useless barrier. Buzz one shot psychic on Venomoth. Mickey two shot body slam on alakazam after taking a psywave.

7th gym-Blaine: Jolteon takes out ponyta and growlithe with t bolt. Swap to buzz for a two shot thunder punch on Rapidash. Jolteon two shot t bolts arcanine after he missed fire blast.

8th gym-Giovanni: This one is the scariest battle in this run. I start with three shot double kick from Jolteon on rhyhorn. Mickey one shot body slam on dugtrio. Buzz two shot psychic on nidoqueen and king. Time for rhydon. I go to Mickey as he’s my rock counter. I taught him submission a while back and it’s a necessity on this team. Submission 3 shots rhydon after he misses a couple fissures.

Mickey(Raichu) Lvl 65

Thundershock

Body slam

Thunder wave

Submission

Ballz(Electrode) Lvl 65

Thunder

Thunder wave

Swift

Explosion(in a Nuzlocke?!)

Volt(Jolteon) Lvl 65

T bolt

Thunder

Double kick

Pin missile

Pluggz(Magneton) Lvl 65

Thundershock

Toxic

Double team

Swift

Buzz(Electabuzz) Lvl 65

Thunderpunch

Thunder

Psychic

Quick attack

1st E4-Lorelei: quite easy with an electric team. Jolteon one shot thunderbolts dewgong, cloyster and slowbro. Mickey one shot body slam on jynx. Jolteon one shot thunderbolt on lapras.

2nd E4-Bruno: Buzz with the sweep. One shot psychic on onyx, hitmonchan, hitmonlee and onyx. It took two psychics for machamp but he missed submission anyway.

3rd E4-Agatha: Here comes Buzz again. Two shot psychic on Gengar. One shot thunder punch on Golbat. One shot psychic on haunter. One shot psychic on arbok. Two shot psychic on the last gengar after healing sleep a couple times.

4th E4-Lance: Jolteon one shot on gyarados. Mickey two shot body slam on both dragonairs. Jolteon one shot t bolt on aerodactyl. Then dragonite. It’s a bit scary so I use Magneton to get off a toxic. He misses slam so I go for double team. He then one shots me with a crit hyper beam. Ouch! I send in Electrode to be safe and land a thunder as he hits a slam then goes down to the toxic.

Final Battle-Champion: Jolteon one shots pidgeot and gyarados with t bolt. Jolteon also takes out alakazam with two pin missiles. First I hit only twice and he took me to about half with psychic. I risked another attack and it paid off. I took him out as pin missile hit 3 times. I swap to Mickey to take out rhydon with a few submissions. Jolteon takes out arcanine with two t bolts. Finally, Buzz takes out Venusaur with two psychics. Yes I chose squirrel to start to make my rival harder.

Overall electric was the hardest type yet. Slightly harder than grass. But due to having Jolteon and electabuzzes psychic I can’t rank it hard. This gets a medium difficulty grade. I’ll be doing poison next! I think this will be hard. The Pokémon I get are great but the alakazams are going to be terrifying.

Here is the gym by gym summary of the mono poison type run in Pokémon Red!

1st Member: Ivy the bulbasaur.

2nd Member: Thorn the Nidoran(m). Nidoking can be mixed attacker and is very versatile.

1st badge-Brock: Easy sweep with vine whip from Ivy.

2nd gym-Misty: Ivy with another clean sweep with vine whip.

3rd gym-Lt. Surge: Easy sweep with Nidoking here. Just used horn attack all the way through.

3rd Member: King Boo the ghastly. Gengar is so good Gen 1.

4th gym: King Boo sweeps with psychic.

5th gym-Koga: Another King Boo psychic sweep.

4th Member: Surf to catch Jell the tentacool. Nice water type who can use some good coverage moves.

6th gym-Sabrina: She was a bit scary. Nidoking took out kadabra and mr mime with EQ, Gengar took out Venomoth with psychic, and Nidoking luckily took out alakazam in one EQ. She used psywave thank god instead of psybeam.

5th Member: Puff the Weezing added to the team.

7th gym-Blaine: Nidoking EQ one shot on growlithe, ponyta and Rapidash, then tentacruel one shot surf on arcanine.

8th gym-Giovanni: Ivy razor leaf one shots rhyhorn and dugtrio. Gengar one shot psychic on nidoqueen and king. Tentacruel one shot surf on rhydon.

Heading to the E4 we lose Nidoking against our rival. Alakazam outsped and one shot crit with psybeam. Ivy came in and killed it with a couple body slams and paralyzing if. Ouch. Only 4 mons now for the E4.

Ivy(Venusaur) Lvl 65

Razor leaf

Sleep powder

Leech seed

Body slam

King Boo(Gengar) Lvl 65

Psychic

Thunderbolt

Hypnosis

Night shade

Jell(Tentacruel) Lvl 65

Surf

Ice Beam

Mega Drain

Barrier

Puff(Weezing) Lvl 65

Sludge

Fire Blast

Smokescreen

Explosion

1st E4-Lorelei: Gengar one shot thunderbolt on dewgong, cloyster, slowbro. Weezing two shot sludge on jynx. Gengar two shot thunderbolt on lapras.

2nd E4-Bruno: Tentacruel surf on the onyx’s, Gengar one shot psychic on the hitmons and machamp.

3rd E4-Agatha: Complete sweep with Gengar using psychic. Had to use a couple full heals for sleep but an easy one here.

4th E4-Lance: Gengar one shot t bolt on gyarados. Tentacruel one shot ice beam on both dragonairs and one shot surf on aerodactyl. One shot ice beam on dragonite for the win.

Final Battle-Champion: Gengar one shot t bolt on pidgeot and gyarados. In comes alakazam. Here’s why I caught Weezing. He uses reflect thank god. I could’ve probably taken 1 psychic but not a crit. I use explosion to one shot and clear the only real problem. Tentacruel one shots the rest of his team. Crit ice beam on exxegutor, surf on rhydon and surf on charizard.

I’m going to rate poison as Medium. It would be easy except for the alakazams you have to fight. That’s what turns it from easy to medium. Great Pokémon available to use and overall a fun run. On to the dreaded Bug Type next!

Last edited:

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
Here is the gym by gym summary of the mono bug type run in Pokémon Red!

1st Member: Sting the weedle

2nd Member: Dusti the Caterpie

1st badge-Brock: Grinded butterfree and Beedrill up to level 12 and butterfree swept with confusion.

3rd Member: Mush the Paras

2nd gym-Misty: Beedrill took this one with twinneedle.

3rd gym-Lt. Surge: Parasect with Dig was an easy sweep.

4th gym-Erika: Fun fact. Bug is super effective on poison in Gen 1. So against grass/poison it’s 4x. So bedroll swept with twinneedle.

4th Member: Motta the Venomoth in the safari zone.

5th Member: Blade the Scyther in Safari Zone. This is the MVP for bugs in Gen 1. Slash is all you need but double team is nice for set up.

5th gym-Koga: Venomoth Psychic sweep here. Pretty easy.

6th gym-Sabrina: Parasect takes out kadabra and mr mime with Spore and slash. Venomoth kills her Venomoth with psychic. Scyther one shot crit slash on Alakazam. Luckily Scyther is fast enough to outspeed.

7th gym-Blaine: This is the hardest part of any bug run. I’ve lost many bug nuzlockes here. I grind the the max level to outspeed arcanine. Scyther one shot crits growlithe. Ponyta is next. His best move is fire spin which is weak. Time to set up double team. I max out with 6 double teams then one shot slash. I one shot slash Rapidash. Arcanine barely lives crit slash. Good thing I double teamed. He misses fire blast then I finish him off.

8th gym-Giovanni: Venomoth one shot psychic on rhyhorn. Scyther one shot crit slash on dugtrio. Venomoth one shot psychic on nidoking and queen. Butterfree 3 shot psybeam on Rhydon.

Heading to the E4 we lose Butterfree against our rival. Pidgeot hit butterfree with a crit wing attack and took him out. I was shocked. Wing attack is 35 base power Gen 1. It’s terrible. I thought butterfree could take even a crit but he’s just too frail. We finish the rival with no more deaths and move on.

Sting(Beedrill) Lvl 65

Swords Dance

Swift

Twinneedle

Poison Sting

Mush(Parasect) Lvl 65

Dig

Spore

Body slam

Slash

Motta(Venomoth) Lvl 65

Psychic

Sleep powder

Toxic

Solarbeam

Blade(Scyther) Lvl 65

Slash

Double team

Quick attack

Swords Dance

1st E4-Lorelei: I lead with Beedrill for a SD sweep. I set up 3 swords Dance on dewgong as he uses rest 3 times. Lol. Proceed to one shot everything with twinneedle.

2nd E4-Bruno: Venomoth sweeps with Psychic. Machamp barely lived one and Bruno followed by using x defend. Lol at the AI in Gen 1.

3rd E4-Agatha: Parasect takes out gengar with dig after taking night shade. Venomoth one shot psychic on Golbat, haunter, and arbok. Parasect takes out Gengar after dodging a toxic.

4th E4-Lance: Parasect lands Spore on gyarados after he missed hyper beam. 2 crit slashes take it out. Scyther one shot crit on both dragonairs. Venomoth 2 shot psychic on aerodactyl after a special drop. Scyther two shot slash on dragonite after taking a slam.

Final Battle-Champion: Scyther two shot slash on pidgeot after he charged for sky attack. Scyther one shot alakazam with crit slash. Scyther two shot on gyarados crit slash. Venomoth two shot psychic on rhydon. Scyther two shot crit slash on arcanine. Beedrill one shot twinneedle on venusaur.

Bug is for sure the hardest run I think. I’m rating this one Hard. Grinding is key in this run. As is Scyther with slash as it crits literally every time. Only two types left in Gen 1, Ground and Flying. I’ll be doing Ground next.