The Griddler Vs. Digimon: Digital Card Battle - Wait, This Isn't a Pokemon Game Edition

Which Partner Digimon will I start with?

• Veemon

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Hawkmon

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Armadillomon

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010

"Griddler, what the **** are you doing," I hear you ask. "Girl, nobody's gonna read a Digimon Let's Play on a Pokemon forum, you're embarrassing yourself." But you see, that's where you're wrong, kiddos. I'm always embarrassing myself, this ain't new. And so, I welcome you to my screenshot LP of Digimon: Digital Card Battle, my favourite game for the original Playstation. Yes, my taste is that bad. Hopefully as I play through this game and share my exploits with all of you, you'll learn a little bit about why I love this game.

So, what is DDCB? Well, it goes without saying that it's a card game, but despite the backs of the cards matching the design for them at the time, this isn't based on the Digimon Trading Card Game. I'll explain how the game works in my next post, where I sit through the tutorial battle for your convenience. In the meantime, what I can tell you is that this is a sequel to a spinoff of Digimon World that we never got. While the first game was essentially a retread of the plot of Digimon World, this game takes a different approach and references various plots from the anime while following up on Digimon World at the end of the main campaign. Before you ask, yes, we will be saving the world through the power of children's card games.

Normally this is where I'd explain the rules of the run I'm doing. But this isn't a Pokemon game, and this isn't a challenge run. I intend to do some audience participation here and there, but obviously this isn't something like a scramble run or a nuzlocke. So I'll just note that I intend to go at least until the end of the main plot line, where the credits kick in. If there's a nice enough reception to this, I may continue past that, but it can get grindy at times. I also ask that you please be patient with my screencaps, as my absolutely legit and real Playstation that is not in any way an emulator lacks a screen capture option and I must manually crop screenshots.

No boy or girl option here, so that's a shame. So, I just gotta write out my name and move on. No jokey names this time, just throwing out my Username and movin' on, we've got something more important to suss out.

We need to choose our starter. I'm going to leave this decision up to you, as I've played with all three before and while I certainly have a preference I'm comfortable enough with each option that I'm willing to use whoever the people would like to see. But why are we picking a starter for a card game with decks and all that? I can explain:

The Partner card we choose will gain XP as we use it in our deck, and with each level it gains, its stats will gradually become better, bit by bit. It's a gradual process, but eventually our Partner card will become the best card in the game. We can also customize our Partner with various parts, boosting the power of its attacks and HP or altering the effects of its special attack and support options. There's a lot of options to make our Partner powerful in a wide variety of ways, and this will become even more poignant once we unlock Armour Digivolution for our Partner, giving them powerful new forms with altered properties. So let's meet our options.

Veemon is a blue dragon Digimon who fights with punches, kicks and headbutts. He's the strongest Partner as far as pure offense goes, and his deck revolves around aggressive play and overwhelming attack power. In time, Veemon can become the Fire Digimon Flamedramon and the Darkness Digimon Raidramon (and the Fire Digimon Magnamon, but that's so balls deep into the post-game that it's hardly worth mentioning.)

Hawkmon is a red bald eagle that fights with claws and lasers, because that's a thing birds have. They're the most well-rounded of the Partner digimon, and their deck focuses on a balance of utility, offense and defense. Hawkmon and its deck also encourage fast digivolution. In time, Hawkmon can become the Nature Digimon Halsemon and the Rare Digimon Shurimon.

Armadillomon is a defensively strong Partner that uses his rock hard shell to do Sonic rolls. His deck focuses on technical play and strong defense, being a fair bit trickier than the other two decks. This is reflected in Armadillomon's stats, which focus on his survivability and utility over his offensive power. However, he'll eventually get a power boost in the form of the Rare Digimon Digmon and the Ice Digimon Submarimon.

These are the options presented to us right now. In the future, we'll have the chance to add two more Partner Digimon to our collection with even more options as to who. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, I'll throw up a poll for which Partner to start with while I explain each of the elements our Digimon fall under, so that you can be more informed about the playstyle we can expect from each deck.

• 🔥 Fire: Fire Digimon are straightforward: they're offensive juggernauts that boast high attack power. Their support effects generally revolve around boosting your attack power, and the general strategy with Fire Digimon is to crank up the heat and go all out. They're kinda braindead in that regard and make for a good beginner's deck. A handful of Fire Digimon can multiply their attack power against Ice Digimon, making them good at overriding their defensive prowess. Fire Digimon are typically dinosaurs, dragons, and any kind of Digimon that is literally on fire.
  • ❄ Ice: Ice Digimon are the hardiest, sporting the highest HP values amongst all cards. Their support options focus on HP recovery and reducing enemy attack power, and their special attacks usually involve shutting down enemy attacks. Ice decks have a tendency to be passive, but they can easily outlast unprepared opponents. Ice Digimon frequently have attack bonuses against Fire Digimon, giving them the power to patch up their paltry attack power and shut down their less sturdy rivals. Ice Digimon are usually aquatic, but can also include arctic variants of existing Digimon and the popular Garurumon line.
  • 🌳 Nature: Nature Digimon revolve around speed. They're the fastest to digivolve and can quickly blitz slower decks by jumping to higher digivolution stages while the opponent is still gaining their footing. Their support options also emphasize speed, frequently forcing the first attack during battle while boosting their attack power. Their special attacks also force first attacks often, and they can occasionally shut down enemy support effects or absorb HP from the enemy, granting them some utility. Nature Digimon are frequently plants and bugs, but strangely also include holy and angelic Digimon - making them effective against Darkness Digimon.
  • 💀 Darkness: Darkness Digimon can be considered a more advanced and technical answer to Fire Digimon. Their attack power is unparalleled, and their fully digivolved forms are among the most powerful in the game. However, they are notoriously slow to digivolve, their HP value is typically low, and their support options are often outright self-destructive in their high risk-high reward nature. Like Nature Digimon, they sometimes can absorb enemy Digimon's HP. They can also sometimes self-destruct for massive damage. Darkness Digimon regularly get combat bonuses against Nature Digimon, as one might expect. Darkness Digimon include undead, demons, machines and dark variants of other Digimon.
  • 🥴 Rare: Rare Digimon are where the weird **** goes: both literally and figuratively. Their powers are erratic and often conditional, capable of misfiring entirely. Rare Digimon frequently force discards, stymieing the opponent's progress. Because of this, Rare Digimon are excellent wildcards and can give a strong defensive presence to a deck. Their specialty lies in shutting down the opponent and their stats and abilities are often very eclectic and bizarre. Unlike other elements which can occasionally do extra damage to an opposing element, some Rare Digimon can do extra damage to other Rare digimon. Rare Digimon are dominated by machines, literal garbage type Digimon, and bizarre recolours of existing Digimon.
With this extra knowledge on hand, I'm going to open this up for voting to see which Partner you'd like to see me play with.

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
Alright, the people have spoken and our Partner Digimon has been selected. Let's mosey.

For the longest time I thought that the line "we only have one character available" was hinting at the possibility of somehow unlocking a different character - possibly a girl - but nah. Certain readers might notice that this is the player character from Digimon World. This is deliberate. Meanwhile, you may also note that selecting a partner digimon has changed the design of the background. Each partner digimon changes the background to a different colour.

I always liked this saving screen. The little guy's trying his best to make it to the other side.

And so we begin our game. This is the City Menu, where we have a few different options. Each City has a Battle Cafe and a Battle Arena, I'll go into depth on both as we get to them. We also have access to a Menu, where we can save our game, edit our deck, or customize our Partner card. Then there are unique locations that only show up in certain cities. Beginner City has one: the Player's Room. It's basically a place where we can view our character's stats, kind of like a Trainer Card.

Beginner City (Soundtrack in link) is a sleepy little place with very few digimon in it. At least for now. It's where all beginning card players go to learn the ropes. Here you can find the helpful Betamon, who coaches new players and teaches them how to Card Battle. We'll be visiting him in the Battle Cafe.

Battle Cafe is a place we'll be spending a lot of our time in when we travel to each city. Here, we can talk to - and eventually battle - every resident of a city. There can be a lot of benefits to chatting up and battling certain characters multiple times! Talking to people is also how we progress the plot of the game and unlock the Battle Arena for each city. The character we're looking for right now is Betamon, the little green dude with the mohawk and red eyes.

I did get something of an indication that that was the case, yes.

Doesn't seem like there's anything like a badge system or anything right now. They're just sorta blocking progression for the sake of blocking progression. Weird flex but okay.

So, we're basically ensuring that we'll be battling progressively tougher opponents, I suppose. I mean, each city must be chock full of dudes that were too weak to progress to the next one. ...at least that's the take I'm getting from this. I know that's not really the intended plot, but...

Anyway, I think we've gotten enough worldbuilding posted for you folks to get the picture. Let's get to the actual gameplay. I'm going to play through the tutorial for you guys since that feels like it'll help me explain things.

The battle begins with us choosing our deck, but since this is the tutorial we don't really get that option. Not that it matters much, we only have the one deck built right now with no cards available to make a functioning second deck. After our deck is chosen, we decide the turn order by flipping over one of these cards. Due to the way combat works I actually prefer 2nd turn most of the time, but I'll get into that later.

Fool, this completely scripted event that I have no control over has made you play right into my hands! You won't be celebrating your first turn for long...

So, the game is divided into three phases. Preparation, Digivolution, and Battle. We cycle through these phases each turn, until one of us has secured three kills or until one of us can no longer play a Digimon in the Battle Slot.

Like so.

Digimon are divided into three levels of power. R, C, and U. R cards are the weakest, and are considered the base stage of Digimon. C cards come next, and U cards are the absolute strongest we can get. Naturally, we can't just jump to U right away. Trying to play a C or U Digimon in the battle slot without setup is a spectacularly bad idea unless you've got cheating ******** and loophole abusing shenanigans on your side. Playing a C card will cut its HP and attack power in half. Playing a U card will reduce its HP and power to a quarter of its usual power. It can also mess with certain option cards.

With the Prep Phase done, we move onto the Digivolution Phase. During this phase, we have the option of burning Digimon cards in our hand to collect DP. Once we have enough DP, we can digivolve into a higher ranking card. This is also when we'd play Digivolve Option cards, if we had them. They can be tricky, so we'll explain each one as we encounter them.

Most C cards require 30 to 40 DP to digivolve to. Generally speaking, C and U cards will give you very little DP while R cards give more. This is part of what makes Nature decks so potent: their C cards usually only require 30 DP, while their R cards regularly give 30 DP when used up. Thankfully, we don't have to deal with that. ...yet.

I'd call Betamon out as being pretty cocky with this statement, but A: it's a tutorial with stacked decks, and B: it's usually a pretty safe assumption that you'll hit C in two turns so long as you've got a decent opening hand.

And this here is why I prefer playing second. Setting up on first turn doesn't really amount to much of an advantage, as you can't do anything until both players have prepped a battle digimon.

This is an important strategy, but it's worth noting that it's risky and not to be taken lightly, as discarding your hand means that you're probably not going to get those cards back.

Betamon is right, but he's also not seeing the big picture. Not only do I have an R card, but I also have an excellent source of DP from MoriShellmon, a useful option card, and a good combat support in Drillmon. In time you guys will be able to recognize these things the way I do. I hope. So, I play Agumon in attack position and burn MoriShellmon for 30 DP.

I don't actually know how Yu-Gi-Oh works so that's probably gonna be the last intentional reference to it that I make.

Unfortunately, while I have enough DP to become Drillmon, I don't have a R card of the right colour. This is why I don't like two colour decks much, even though they're generally considered the acceptable number of colours to use.

This is reason number 2 for why second turn is the optimal choice. I may not get the first turn, but I get the first attack. And depending on your setup? That can be awfully potent.

Anyway, the Battle Phase. Each digimon has three attacks, assigned to a different button on the controller. ⭕ Attacks are generally the most powerful, but are often shut down or countered by various support effects and special attacks. 🔺 Attacks are weaker, but with less counterplay. Sometimes, they're the strongest attack a digimon has, but rarely. ✖ Attacks are often the weakest, but can have an additional effect in battle, like always striking first or reducing the attack power of certain attacks to 0.

Generally speaking I've no way of knowing what attack my opponent is using, but often I can have a pretty good idea. If they have a card that boosts the power of a certain button, or if a specific attack can land a kill on me, it's safe to assume they'll go for that. But, AI can be weird at times, and I can't always predict everything.

Now see if it were me giving this advice, I'd then use X so that I'd shut down the attack. That might be why I can't get anyone to play this game with me.

Once we've selected our attack, we choose a support card. This is where Option Cards come in. Think of them like Trainer Cards. They confer a specific effect when used as a support in battle. Digimon also come with support effects, and can be used in lieu of Option Cards as a support in battle. Once we use a support card, it's discarded.

Reason number 3 for why second turn is the optimal strat. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. I choose my Option Card as my support, as it boosts my HP by 300. The base HP value on your card is NOT the cap to your HP. You can boost that **** to the moon if you're so inclined. Once both players have selected a support card, the supports take effect and the battle begins.

And we get these sweet polygon models beating the **** out of eachother! It's a pain in the ass to get multiple screencaps of! I love it! This visualized the fight as it happens, and I'll do my best to snap pics of each Digimon in battle as well as screenshots of their more memorable attacks. It's just... difficult.

This is the general gist of the game. There's more that can be explained but I think this is as much of the tutorial that we need to sit through. In future updates I'll endeavour to give you a play-by-play of each battle as well as filling you in on various facts and trivia about each Digimon my opponent and I use in battle. That will be for next time, though. I'd like to find a way to abridge these or compress them, as right now it feels like both important dialogue and battles are going to take TONS of screencaps to do, and my totally legitimate Playstation is very finnicky about screencaps. I think each update will be one battle at a time.

Next update, we'll get to the Battle Arena and fight our actual first opponent in a real, honest to goodness battle! See you there!

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Digimon are divided into three levels of power. R, C, and U. R cards are the weakest, and are considered the base stage of Digimon. C cards come next, and U cards are the absolute strongest we can get.
R is Rookie, C is Champion, and U is Ultimate, right?

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
hmy es i am followin keep goin