Scramble The Griddler Vs. Leaf Green - Scramble Playthrough

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
Hey everybody. Welcome to my Scramble Challenge playthrough of Pokemon Leaf Green. Let me walk you through the rules that I'm going to be adhering to as I play through this adventure.

1. I need to use a specific team of six Pokemon hand-picked by the members of this forum. They are: Squirtle, Butterfree, Exeggutor, Aerodactyl, Wigglytuff and Electrode. Yes, that is Squirtle, not Wartortle or Blastoise. This is to compensate for the fact that Squirtle will undoubtedly have the most opportunity amongst my team to grind and get exp.
  2. I will be using healing items and Pokemon Centers, but I will NOT be using healing items in battle. I've done a few challenges in the past and I've found that when you have limited catches and thus don't need to spend money on Pokeballs, you have enough funds that you can muscle through most challenges with a bag chock full of recovery items. This is to try and alleviate that a bit.
  3. I will allow myself a Utility Pokémon for HM moves when I need one for navigation, but will otherwise be focusing on keeping my full team on me at all times. I will also catch the 10 Pokémon necessary to get Flash, but will not be using them.
  4. Not only will I be defeating every Gym Leader and Elite Four member, I will also make it a point to hunt down each legendary bird and defeat them. The only legend allowed to exist in Kanto is me.
Without any further ado, let's begin:

I prefer female pronouns and just generally like Leaf's look over Red's, so I'll be playing as a girl for this playthrough. As for name, well...

Sorry not sorry.

I know a lot of people like to be mean and give Blue a derogatory name like Assbutt or **** or something like that, especially since his grandpa is straight up admitting he can't remember his grandson's name. I'd like to think I'm above that sort of thing.

But I'm not. I'm really really not.

See? It's already paying dividends. Imagine your own grandfather calling you a jabroni. Savage af. Now, let's choose our pokemon.

Easy!? I didn't choose to do a challenge run because I wanted this to be easy, old man!

Patience? Screw that, I ain't waiting around all day for some fire lizard to learn Metal Claw just so I can beat the first gym easily!

Yeah, this right here is what I was talking about. Worth. Value. I'll take it. Now I just need to think of a name, I was thinking Roshi if it's a guy...

...oh. She's not a guy. After a literal half hour of trying to think up alternatives I decided to just go through with naming her Roshi anyways. Hooray, indecision due to lack of foresight! Speaking of poor decisions...

Imagine being the enemy in a tutorial fight. Now imagine your grandpa giving the tutorial to the person you're fighting. Just saying, this is some powerful bias and it's all going in the wrong direction. Anyways, y'all know how this fight goes. It's the tutorial battle between level 5 starters. That means...

IT'S TACKLEMANIA, BROTHER! OH YEEEEEAH! no but seriously this part of the game is always the most boring one, just keep using tackle while your opponent wastes time using stat changers he can't afford. Badda bing badda boom, fight your rival, go grab the package, bring it back to Oak, it's time to get to the actual videogame.

Heh... hehe... yeah, I'm... I'm sure they are. Shame I'm only gonna be catching about a handful of them. I don't make the rules, old man. I just play by them.

And so, our quest begins, and we travel north to build our army. Our first recruit: Caterpie. It should be easy enough to find one, they're quite common.

Except I never ran into one. No, I'm being serious. I walked around in front of Veridian Forest for what felt like an hour and a half dunking on Rattata and Pidgey without a single Caterpie showing up.

Do you see how much Roshi's grown by the time I found this thing? Six levels! That wasn't me grinding, my dudes, that was just from killing pokemon I ran into instead of Caterpie! If it took any longer to show up I'd probably be one-shotting it!

Thankfully I'm not that far gone yet, and Caterpie could take a couple hits and keep on kicking. One pokeball later and we've got ourselves the second member of the Yeetus Crew.

Thankfully, I came prepared with a female name this time. I swear this will work a lot better once she's evolved up. In the meantime, she's gonna need to put in some work to catch up to Master Roshi, and I know a certain jabroni the three of us will have to dunk on... Next time!

Master Roshi, The Squirtle Hermit
Level: 11
Bashful Nature
Abiliy: Torrent
Moves:
Tackle
Tail Whip
Bubble
Withdraw

Naturally, Roshi is currently the best pokemon on my team because she's the only pokemon on my team until literally just now. She will be putting in work in the near future with Pewter City so close, but after that she'll probably take a backseat as I focus on training up Bayonetta and worry about capturing a Jigglypuff. For now, though, she's carrying the playthrough. Because of course she is.

Bayonetta, The World's Rarest Caterpie
Level 5
Serious Nature
Ability: Shield Dust
Moves:
Tackle
String Shot

Levelling up Bayonetta will be my top priority next update. Not only will Butterfree's confusion be a potent attack for the early game, but its presence will be the one thing protecting Roshi from Jabroni's Bulbasaur once it learns grass attacks. For right now, though, she's essentially dead weight. I have no assumptions that she'll stay that way for long, however.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
A good start. Will be interesting to see how Squirtle fares later on in the game. Very interested in this one!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
It seems like Leaf Green is out to jinx scramblers! I had a ton of trouble getting Pikachu, and now you need ages to even find a blooming Caterpie!

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
It's time for an update from ya girl!

@Zedark I'm also eager to see how Roshi will match up in the endgame, especially with how pivotal her presence is for me in the here and now. (Jigglypuff cannot come fast enough, I'm really feeling the limitations of only two mons right now.)

@icelandic You can't even comprehend the levels with which LeafGreen is screwing with me right now. I'm honestly kind of astounded at how astronomically bad my luck has been thus far.

@Mystical Yup! Good old Master Roshi. I loved his development in Super and his contributions during the Tournament of Power, and I had watched his episode of Death Battle recently, so he was fresh in my mind when I started this and hey, what better name for a turtle Pokémon?

Without further ado, let us continue the adventure of Yeetus.

Let me just start out with a great big internal scream while I let Vergil voice my feelings about this run so far.

Phew, okay. I think I've got that all out of my system. This chapter of our journey has been a rough one, my dudes. See, I know that with my team as it was, the optional fight against Jabroni would be tantamount to suicide. But I mean, you know I gotta do it to 'em. So, that makes raising Bayonetta my priority. One problem with that.

She kinda sucks.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. See, I'm used to this whole deal. Beedrill is one of my favourite Pokémon, I've used him in challenges before, like Bug Monotypes and the like. Raising a starter bug up through its cocoon stage should not be hard for me! I'm an experienced trainer! I was part of the first generation, god dammit! But every single battle with Bayonetta against wild pokemon multiple levels below her has ended with her either like this, or fainted. Before and after evolving.

I was taking screencaps of her level ups and then decided against continuing that once she evolved, as you can see here:

God I can't wait to see this screen again. I hope and pray for the day where this dud becomes a beautiful butterfly. The pain will be worth it then, right?

Right?

I can't stress how much Sand-Attack has shaved years off of my life. I have fought exactly one (1) level 5 Pidgey and I feel like it was more harrowing than the 104 turn UU tournament match I just had. Look it up. But, uh... surely we won't have to worry about such things much longer. I've gotten Bayonetta up to Level 9 and I'm sure that will be enough to bring down Jabroni a second time.

Hah, look at him. He has no idea what he's getting into. I'll enjoy seeing the shocked look on his face when I-

Oh no.

Oh no.

Did... did he know? Has he been watching me? Is this a psychological attack? A play to get inside my head? The work of an enemy Stand!? No, I refuse to submit to this jackassery! I'll just switch to Roshi and end this man's whole career!

HoW dId I tAkE sO mUcH DaMaGe!?!?!?!?

Well there's no freaking way I can use Roshi against Bulbasaur, she'll just get obliterated by Vine Whip. That leaves me with no other choice but to... -sigh-

Bayonetta, you're up.

Hah! You fool! You think you can stop me by lowering my attack, thus making my offense meaningless? I'm using a Metapod! My offense is already meaningless! This is what I have to say to your Growl!

So there! Now I might not be able to hurt you, but you won't be able to hurt me! That's right, Jabroni! Now nobody gets to be hurt! NOW NOBODY GETS TO HAVE FUN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA-

Is this it? Am I just going to lose now? I don't think Roshi is strong enough to wrap this up in one hit, and I'm pretty sure 9 HP isn't enough to protect her from a Vine Whip... I really, really don't want to lose to what should be such an easy fight, but...

O-oh! Oh!?

OH! Now I'm motivated!

I can never let him know he's right. He must never know. I will front that this **** was calculated until the day I die, I swear it.

Phew, well... it seems like I'm going to have to work harder from here on out. Not using healing items in battle is turning out to be a far greater challenge than I thought it would be. Next time on the adventures of Yeetus...

We will brave the forests on the way to Pewter City in our search for MORE POWER.

Master Roshi, Clutch in a Shell
Level 12
Bashful Nature
Ability: Torrent
Moves:
Tackle
Tail Whip
Withdraw
Bubble
Style Ranking: Smokin' Sick Style

Roshi held a small but pivotal role in this update: cleaning up Bayonetta's mess. She hasn't changed much since the first chapter, and she's going to need to grow if she wants to keep up this momentum, because in the face of Jabroni's accuracy hax she took one hell of a beating. (I eagerly look forward to the day when both of these Pokémon get access to moves stronger and more accurate than Tackle.) As things are right now, she's still the MVP, and her clutch win against Jabroni earns her my respect.

Bayonetta, Disappointment in a Shell
Level 9
Serious Nature
Ability: Shed Skin
Moves:
Tackle
String Shot
Harden
Style Ranking: Dismal

Bayonetta is going to have to work a lot harder to impress me. She's not pulling her own weight just yet, and as I stated above, most battles with her end in near-death or loss. Butterfree cannot come fast enough, and frankly I'm really disappointed that she fainted against Bulbasaur when a win against it would have given her the lion's share of the exp she'd need to evolve. I'm really hoping things start looking up at level 10, or else this is gonna be a real long game.

EDIT: My tablet freaked out and posted this before it was done, let me just wrap this up properly here

EDIT EDIT: Okay now we're fixed up all nice.

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
I like that comment about Sand Attack being a psychological attack, and the work of an enemy stand. That was funny as ****. All the Metapod stuff and lucking out bit was funny.

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
I am glad that everyone is enjoying this run so far. So I guess I better give everyone Part 3 now!

So, first things first. Remember when I said that I can't wait for Bayonetta to finally evolve? Well...

The time has come and so have I.

That's right kiddos, we're playing with a Butterfree now. So what does this mean for the run? Well I'll tell you.

CompoundEyes means that the horrid age of sand attack and accuracy jank is behind us, rejoice! We can actually hit things! Furthermore, Butterfree has a strong special attack stat, perfect to use...

CONFUSION, a special attack that will hit most of the wild pokemon in the foreseeable future for neutral damage (and bypass the physical defense of Brock's pokemon in the event I just decide to not use Roshi against him for some reason) and hit the many, many poison types of Kanto for supereffective damage. This includes the many Weedle and Kakuna in this forest and at the beck and call of the many, many bug catchers standing in my way.

In other words, Bayonetta is no longer a disappointment. And in order to prove this? I had her solo Veridian Forest all by her bad self so that she'll be able to keep catching up to Roshi. By the time I hit Pewter City, they were about equal in level.

So, what is there to do in Pewter City?

Well, there's getting called a poo poo by the next member of our team. Or maybe she's trying to warn us about the po-po. Who knows, really. I'm not a doctor.

Speaking of future party members...

-sigh-

Soon, my child. Soon we'll be reunited, you beautiful bony *******.

Anyways, enough foreshadowing for one chapter. Time to go and kick Brock's ass.

Pretend I made a lewd joke here involving "rock solid" as a euphemism I don't really feel up to it right now, sorry.

Man, I remember being a kid playing Blue for the first time and running into this jackass. I already knew what light-years were, and I was mighty irritated at this child's scientific ignorance. Guess I'll just have to have Roshi one shot his whole team for catharsis.

-squint-

That... is not a ohko. Excuse me? Hello? HELLO!?

I'm still mad.

How did this kid even find out he was wrong in between the start of the battle and the end? Was it me? Did I correct him? I'd definitely correct him. Well, whatever. Time for Brock.

Man why you gotta fixate on how rock hard you and your crew are, like, you just used the phrase "rock hard" two sentences in a row.

No ****InG wAy DuUuUuDe!?

No, I challenge you knowing that I'll win.

Nah, if you'll refer to my matches in the UU tournament you'll find that I'm dishonourable scum half the time. Or are you saying you want to see me PP Stall you?

So, here we are. Our first gym leader. This is generally the point where the game starts picking up in difficulty; Geodude and Onix are fairly tanky mons and all. I'll need to consider my moves carefully if I want to-

EASY.

CLAP.

One shot, one kill, kiddos. Double weakness to water and grass is a *****. It goes without saying that with Roshi at my side, this gym wasn't going to be a challenge to me. We'll see how long that luck holds out.

Boulder Badge get. One down, seven to go. Now it's time for us to head east in search of conquest. Let us ride, my meme children.

Our first order of business is to blow past as many of the trainers leading up to Mt. Moon as we can. We need to capture a Jigglypuff and I'd like to keep as many trainers intact as possible so that I can use them to level the round girl up. Unfortunately, there's some inevitable scuffles, leading up to...

My biggest fear in this run is that I'll get distracted or space out at some point following a battle and will forget to stop Roshi from evolving. That'd be bad and I know myself well enough to know that it's totally a thing that could happen to me. Fingers crossed I can find an Everstone soon.

Check out this Lass' Jigglypuff though. Definitely gonna want my own to hit that level soon. It actually put up a decent fight against Bayonetta, truth be told.

Speaking of Jigglypuff...

Here she is!

As before, my biggest challenge is ensuring that I don't accidentally kill the thing while trying to weaken it. Bayonetta and Roshi are both fairly swole right now in comparison.

Case in point, this was one ****ing hit. On the bright side, this is definitely weak enough to capture now.

Now that we've got our puff, she's gonna need a name. And I think I know just what to choose...

So let's chill, 'till the next episode:

Master Roshi, Exploiter of Quad Damage
Level: 16
Bashful Nature
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Tackle
Tail Whip
Water Gun
Withdraw
OHKOs: Yes

Roshi has just done her job as a Squirtle: She's obliterated Brock with minimal effort, opening the path to Cerulean City, where her immediate usefulness will probably drop. But until then, she's still a solid contender and more than capable of keeping pace with Bayonetta's now superior firepower. Here's hoping her permanent first stage status doesn't hinder her too greatly.

Bayonetta, Potential Unleashed
Level: 14
Serious Nature
Ability: CompoundEyes
Moves: Tackle
Stun Spore
PoisonPowder
Confusion

The butterfly emerges from her chrysalis more powerful than she could've ever imagined. Bayonetta became the hardest hitting Pokémon on my team the second she hit level 10 by virtue of her stronger special attack stat and the potency of Confusion as an early game move. I have to actually stop myself from using her on occasion, as I need to ensure that Roshi keeps pace with her. Her Stun Spore proved invaluable in catching Snoop Puff and I'm sure her utility moves will continue to pay dividends. The worst is undoubtedly behind us.

Snoop Puff, All Puff, No Tuff
Level: 8
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Cute Charm
Moves: Sing
Defense Curl
lmao: Weed

Yeah. Sing and Defense Curl. I managed to pump three levels into Snoop thanks to the trainers I avoided on the way to catching her, but she still doesn't have any attacks. With any luck, she'll be learning more in the near future so that she can become a true gangsta.

EDIT: My tablet did the thing where it posted my update before it was done again. Please hold.

EDIT EDIT: and then my tablet died. It really doesn't want me to update this! It'll be a while longer for me to finish.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: FINALLY WE DONE.

Last edited:

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
Posting here to let people know that this run isn't dead, I just sent my tablet in for repairs and forgot to transfer my save data onto my laptop. I'm hoping to update sometime next week.