Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
The Guide to a Proper Challenge

This guide exists to give pointers to newer users who might not know how to document a challenge on the forums. These aren't necessarily rules that everyone needs to follow here, but reading this and applying it will definitely help your challenges get more attention.

1. Grammar is an important part of your update.
Making sure that people are able to understand your writing is super important! Remember to use periods, capitalization, and to spell words correctly. Your updates don't need to be written flawlessly, but no one is going to try and struggle through your work if it's written like this:
ohMYGOD meh FLREOAN evlved!!!!!!!!!!! i had ot get a fre ston but it was tottaly wrth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! once i got it i usd it on mah eveee so i cud have a fire tipe poke on my teem and then i went and cot a new pokem to put on my teem and it was awesum!!1!1!
That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but do your best to make your updates easy to read. This is especially important if you're doing written summaries of things like gym badges, or if you're writing a story to go along with your challenge.

2. Create a well-written update.
When writing your updates, it's also important to pay attention to the structuring you use. Documenting team members is a pretty common practice, and you can use a template like the following to make it easy to do:

Pokemon (Nickname)
Level
Nature
Ability
Item
Moves:
  • Move 1
  • Move 2

Explanation about the Pokemon so far

You can also use spoiler tags to make your updates take up less space on the page. To create a spoiler, just use spoiler BBCode tags. For example, this:
Code:
[spoiler=Name of the spoiler]Stuff inside the spoiler[/spoiler]
Would turn into this:
Stuff inside the spoiler

Here's an example of what your update could include for your team:
Grotle
Level 23
Bold Nature
Ability: Overgrow
Item: Miracle Seed
Moves:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Curse
  • Rock Smash
  • Cut

My Grotle has been a decent member of my team, but I used it for two of my HM moves... Because of that, it's only really useful against things that Razor Leaf can defeat. Curse makes that easier though, since it's slow anyways and boosting attack makes it a lot more powerful. Once it evolves into Torterra and gets Earthquake I'll probably get rid of Cut so it can be stronger in more battles.

3. Before starting a challenge, ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I have time to consistently update this challenge?
  • Will I enjoy writing this challenge? What about in a few weeks/months?
  • Is there anything coming up in the near future that would make it hard to stay committed to this challenge?
  • Am I doing this challenge because I want to?
4. Other miscellaneous tips:
  • Don't stop updating your challenge just because other people aren't giving feedback. Persistence pays off!
  • To get more people to notice your challenge, try doing something unique to grab their attention.
  • If you're not going to be able to update your challenge for a while, post in your thread to let people know.
  • Make your posts long enough to give readers some content, but don't make your updates into huge walls of text.
  • Have fun! That's what you're here for, right? Don't stress too much about things and give it your best!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.