Nuzlocke ⌦ THE IMPOSSILOCKE ⌫ (Benlocke Clause, Unevolved Clause, No Items In-Battle)

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
fr opening screen.png

Pokémon FireRed. The first main-line Pokémon game that I ever owned. I poured countless hours into this game before the cartridge shell broke and made it unusable. I haven't gone back to explore Kanto's first remake in years. Also, In my 6 years of activity on this forum, I've never managed to complete a challenge thread. I've always wanted to do something crazy, but either never finished or just didn't get around to it.

This changes today.

Let's boogie.

THE INCOMPARABLE IMPOSSILOCKE
(Unevolved Benlocke with no Bag items)

(Credit to the Rules and Regulations thread for these descriptions, I more or less C&P'd.)
  1. If your Pokemon faints, it has "died" and can no longer be used in battle. After a Pokemon "dies", you must either place them in the box permanently or release them. Revival items cannot be used to bring them back, and you can't reset your game either.

2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in an area. This means that if you run into a Pikipek on Route 1, that is the only Pokemon you can catch for that route. If you aren't able to catch it, your encounter for that location is used up.
    • Bodies of water count as the route or town they're in. If you encounter a Magikarp by fishing on Route 204 and it's your first encounter for that route, you can't catch something from the grass or other areas on Route 204 anymore.

• Trades and gift Pokemon count as encounters for the areas they happen in.

• You can choose how you want to handle encounters before you receive Pokeballs, as well as areas like the Safari Zone.
  3. You can only trade with other games to activate Trade Evolutions. This means that you can only use Pokemon you can actually catch/obtain in your game. In-game trades and gift Pokémon will count as encounters for their specific location.

4. You MUST nickname every Pokemon you catch! This makes the Pokemon more personal- which causes deaths to have an even bigger impact.
The Nuzlocke Challenge also has some clauses, or exceptions to the rules:

1. Dupes Clause: If your first encounter in an area is a Pokemon you have already caught, that encounter doesn't count. This also applies to Pokemon that belong to an evolutionary family you have already caught. This way you don't get a team full of Pidgeys or Bidoof.

2. Shiny Clause: If you encounter a Shiny Pokemon, you are allowed to catch it. You can choose to replace a Pokemon you already have with it, or just trade it to a different game if you don't want to use it in your challenge.
(Credit to the Rules and Regulations thread for these descriptions, I more or less C&P'd.)
  1. You can NOT evolve any of your Pokemon- get ready to mash that B button! No using Mega Evolution, either.

2. If you catch a Pokemon that has already evolved (e.g. Trumbeak) that's totally fine. You just aren't allowed to evolve any Pokemon yourself.

3. Similarly, Pokemon that don't evolve can be used again. As long as you haven't evolved it, it's fair game!

4. No legendaries- even though they don't evolve, using them defeats the purpose of doing this challenge in the first place.
- No items from the Bag may be used during a battle, though held items are allowed. No exceptions.

- Benlocke Clause: This is a special rule I developed in 2017. After every Gym battle, I roll a number between 1 and the number of Pokémon in my party. The Pokémon that corresponds with the number rolled is immediately permaboxed.

- Battle Style is switched to SET.

Last edited:

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Time Zone
EST

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Time Zone
EST
EPISODE 1: BROCKIN' AND ROLLIN'

- I begin the game, and go through the Prof. Oak sequence as normal. I name my PC "Ben" and my rival "Snotty". He always says he'll "smell me later" because his nose is too clogged to do it right then and there. :D

- I pick Bulbasaur as my starter! He should be able to get me through the first two or three Gyms without a problem. She's a girl as well, which is really cool! I name her "Ivy".

- I win the battle VS. Snotty by spamming Tackle. :happyazurill:

- I run up to Viridian City and back, drop off Oak's Parcel, and get my PokeDex and 5 Pokeballs.

- Indeed, it does. I head up to Route 1, and get my first encounter. It's a Pidgey! :pidgey: I catch it and name it "Izzy".

- After that (and a bit of shopping in Viridian City), I pick up a Rattata :rattata: and a Mankey :mankey: on Routes 2 and 22, respectively. I name them "Jerryette" and "DrPorkchop". I grind a bit afterwards to get everyone to a better level. Specifically, I want to get Ivy to Level 10 for Vine Whip so I can absolutely shred Brock.

- I do that! Ivy learns Vine Whip and I get Jerryette and Izzy to about Level 8.

- I go into Viridian Forest for my encounter! It's a Weedle :weedle: ! I catch it and name it "Fodder".

"fodder lmaooooooo"
- After that, I get through Viridian Forest without a problem. Izzy with Gust eats Bug Keepers like a Ben Resolute eats cheesesteaks. That is, to say, extremely quickly and with great prejudice. This is going well so far!

- I get to Pewter City, heal up, and head straight to Brock.

Watch Ivy whip...watch Ivy nae-nae...
- So I get the Boulderbadge! Sweet! But, you know what this means. The Benlocke Clause will go into effect. Let me paste it here incase you're not aware:
Benlocke Clause: This is a special rule I developed in 2017. After every Gym battle, I roll a number between 1 and the number of Pokémon in my party. The Pokémon that corresponds with the number rolled is immediately permaboxed.

- I use my RNG, and...DrPorkchop :mankey: is killed off. Perfect! As bad as this sounds, he wasn't going to be much help for a long while.

:bulbasaur:
"Ivy" (Bulbasaur, F)
Lv. 14
Ability: Overgrow
Impish Nature
- Tackle
- Leech Seed
- Growl
- Vine Whip
Ivy is definitely my MVP. Vine Whip is great! She'll definitely be able to get me past Surge at least. I'm looking forward to using her! I don't pick Bulbasaur often. :)

:pidgey:
"Izzy" (Pidgey, F)
Lv. 10
Ability: Keen Eyes
Quirky Nature
- Tackle
- Sand-Attack
- Gust
-
Izzy is a great companion to Ivy and covers things that the Bulbasaur can't. Definitely going to be a valuable member of the team.

:rattata:
"Jerryette" (Ratatta, F)
Lv. 10
Ability: Run Away
Docile Nature
- Tackle
- Growl
- Quick Attack
-
YESSSSSSS I love Ratatta. Early game, he does great, and does even better when he gets Hyper Fang. Raticate is actually one of my favorite 'mons to use in Kanto, so this is the closest I can get. :D

:weedle:
"Fodder" (Weedle, male I think)
Lv. 3
Ability: Can't be bothered
Hawyee Nature
- splash
- probably also splash
- uhhhh splash
- poison sting?
:,)

Total: 1

DrPorkchop the Mankey: rip m'dude, you served your purpose as Benlocke RNG fodder well.

QOTD: What's your guys' favorite Gym Leader in Kanto? Mine is probably Blaine. I love some of the lore surrounding him and how he helped create Mewtwo. Not to mention he is STYLIN'.

Whelp! Until next time, Ben Resolute signing off.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni. Of all those people, I choose Erika. She really is such a beauty :hearteyesazurill:

Also, thanks to that Benlocke clause, DrPorkchop got such a tough luck. Poor thing :pensiveazurill:

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Time Zone
EST
@SAF Yeah, Erika definitely has a cute design! And yeah, the Benlocke is designed to be really punishing and RNG-based. That's on purpose, hehehe :,)

EPISODE 2: SNOTTY STRIKES BACK

- Having beaten Brock, I head east to Route 4. I finally get the Running Shoes from Professor Oak's aide, which should (thankfully) make traveling just a bit faster.

- Although I had a bit of trouble with fighting a Lass's Pidgey at the beginning of the route, the trip went really smoothly otherwise. There's a lot of Bug Keepers and Youngsters with Bug-type Pokemon, which means I can breeze through pretty quick with Izzy.

- Oh, hey! There's grass here! Which means we get an encounter! I run into a Spearow :spearow: and name it Ch'Ding for the lols. He isn't too strong, but he'll be worth training in case Izzy goes down.

- I head up to Mt. Moon, where I heal and do some grinding just inside for a bit. But not before another encounter! This one is a Zubat :zubat: that I name "Batman". NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA BATMAAAAAAAAAN

- After that, I make my way through Mt. Moon! The hardest battle is definitely the Super Nerd with the fossils...his Voltorb and Grimer gave me a bit of trouble. Ivy and Jerryette pulled through, though! I left feeling pretty accomplished. The real challenge is ahead, though.

So, quick digression. I made one other attempt at this challenge before this one, and Snotty Fight 3 (in Cerulean City) was the fight that forced a party wipe for me. The problem is that it's hard to grind on Route 4...Intimidating Ekans are everywhere and it's just annoying. Route 24 and 25 to the north are much better spots in my experience, but you've gotta get through the rival to get there. He's...really high level for this point in the game, though.

- Regardless! I catch an Ekans :ekans: named Cucumber and grind as much as I can, getting Ivy to Level 20 and Izzy to Level 18. You'd think that's enough, right?

oh boy.

- He leads Pidgeotto, I lead Izzy. He starts spamming Sand Attack, and I land two hits. ONE MORE ATTACK would have put that bird down, but I kept missing. I switched to Ivy and Tackled it to bring it down. Scratch one bogey. Abra and Ratatta come out on Snotty's end, and Ivy knocks them out without taking much damage at all.

Then the Charmander comes out. I figured I'd be able to take one Ember and set up Sleep Powder (oh yeah, I have that, Poisonpowder, and Razor Leaf on Ivy at this point) so I stayed in and commanded Sleep Powder. Ivy didn't survive that, and I started panicking. I threw in the weakened Izzy to try desperate to land a priority hit on the Charmander. She went down as well.

I manage to finish the fight with Jerryette, but I was far from happy. Ivy was supposed to be my lifeline. I needed that Grass firepower to break through Misty and get me through Rock Tunnel...and Izzy, who was a huge asset in her own right. Both gone like that.

:thisisfineazurill:

- Well, after healing, I grind a bit. At this point, Jerryette is my only Pokemon at a high enough level to fight NPC Trainers, but, again. I was having trouble grinding on Route 4. It just wasn't economical in the slightest.
I'd have to beat Nugget Bridge and get to the area north of Cerulean. There, I'd have access to that sweet, sweet grinding area and be able to hopefully catch an Oddish.

- Nugget Bridge went surprisingly well. My biggest worry was having to fight a Mankey on the last trainer, but I managed to OHKO it with a Hyper Fang. Phew.

- I get onto Route 24 and head to the tall grass...and there it is! An Oddish :oddish:! I manage to catch it and name it "Hope". Because this thing is literally my only hope at getting any further in this run 👀

- I encounter an Abra :abra: on Route 25 and it Teleports away. LIKE A PANSY COME BACK HERE AND FIGHT YA LITTLE SHMUCK

Hopefully we'll be able to get Hope (and some other mons to back her up) to a decent level! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Until next time!

:oddish:
"Hope" (Oddish, F)
Lv. 12
Ability: Chlorophyll
Relaxed Nature
  • Absorb
  • Sweet Scent
-
-
LOT of hopes running on this guy. Chances are, he'll have to get me through Surge, and the fact that Absorb only has 20 base power is really concerning. Time will tell with this guy.

:rattata:
"Jerryette" (Rattata, F)
Lv. 18
Ability: Run Away
Docile Nature
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • Quick-Attack
  • Hyper Fang
Jerryette is more or less the foundation of this team. If she goes down at this point, I'm not going to be happy. Hyper Fang does insane damage, even against foes that are equal in strength. When all else fails, break out the Rattata. >:)

:spearow:
"Ch'Ding" (Spearow, M)
Lv. 10
Ability: Keen Eye
Brave Nature
  • Peck
  • Growl
  • Leer
-
Ch'Ding is kind of a wild card right now. It's looking like he's going to have to fill Izzy's shoes as a companion to Hope, which he should be able to do with a little more oomph behind him. Once he learns Fury Attack, he'll be able to dish out a bit more damage. I'm looking forward to what he'll bring to the team.

:ekans:
"Cucumber" (Ekans, F)
Lv. 6
Ability: Shed Skin
Lonely Nature
  • Wrap
  • Leer
-
-
As much as I'd love to have a Poison-type that I can use, Cucumber is just too low-level to grind up right now without switch training. Maybe I'll be able to train him more when I can get back to the Pewter City area or when I can get an Exp. Share.

:zubat:
"Batman" (Zubat, M)
Lv. 7
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
  • Leech Life
  • Astonish
-
-
Pretty much the same situation as Cucumber.

:weedle:
"Fodder" (turd with a nose, male I think)
Lv. turd
Ability: probably truant lol
literally the worst nature possible
  • string shot
  • shoot string
  • shot sting
  • splash
:,)

Total: 3

DrPorkchop the Mankey: rip m'dude, you served your purpose as Benlocke RNG fodder well.

Ivy the Bulbasaur: Gone too soon. Gone way too soon. Misty is going to be hard to take on without ya.

Izzy the Pidgey: Turns out hard switching in a Pokémon at 1/10 health isn't that good of an idea. D:

QOTD: Looks like I may or may not be in a bit of a pickle. What are some crazy situations that you've had to pull yourself out of in your own challenges? Did you lose a favorite 'mon? Or maybe you just had a whole bunch of cruddy encounters?

Until next time, Ben Resolute signing off!