The NEW Marriland Website Has Launched and Two New Site-Related Forums Being Added

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
How's it goin', everyone? Marriland here! And after working for several months on the new Marriland website behind the scenes, I'm pleased to announce that it has finally gone LIVE to everyone, and you can find it at Marriland.com!

It's really important to understand a few things and the first super important thing to understand is that the site is, like, SUPER basic right now. Yes, I know this, there's nothing super helpful there at the time of this post. However, it's what's behind the scenes that's important here. I have put in a lot of work into the backend to make sure that the site will be capable of handling all of the following as time goes on:
  • Pokémon News and Site Updates. Although this won't be a primary focus of the site, it will still provide an avenue to get your news updates for Pokémon-related stuff, as well as a place for me to keep people posted about updates to the site and its tools. It'll help make the site look a little less empty while the other projects are being worked on. This is independent from the Marriland Forums and user registration will not be an option for a few months, but in the meantime each new post made will have a corresponding thread made for it here on the Marriland Forums for forum users to comment on. (More on that in a little bit!)
  • Walkthroughs and Guides. This was a HUGE resource to people back in the old days of Marriland and I intend to bring it back in full force. These take a lot of time to write, though, but I have all of the tools in place now to start writing them, so expect to see these popping up in the coming months. I cannot reuse the walkthroughs or guides from Azurilland! Everything written will be written from scratch so there are no copyright or ownership problems.
  • Tools. Yes, that means a functional Team Builder. This is something I'm particularly excited about and I hope to have a minimal, yet functional version of the Team Builder up by the middle of March. In the days of Marriland on Curse's platform, I had no direct control over the development of tools and resources — while there's no point in going over the specifics of that old situation now, I will say that development of these features will be accelerated and prioritized, as I have full developmental control. I can also test and fix any bugs that are reported.
  • Pokédex with Advanced Search. The old Marriland Pokédex was very popular and also a helpful resource to people, so I'd like to built an even better version from scratch that will be mobile-friendly and even better than the old one. This is still a bit out, but I will be learning the Wordpress platform well enough over the coming months to implement this and keep it updated.
  • There's a LOT more I have planned for the site, so if you're interested, you can read more about it on the Marriland Development Roadmap, which outlines my plans and rough timelines (which are all subject to change) for the coming year and into early 2020.
Alright, so even though there's not a lot right now, hopefully you can see what's in store for the future and will enjoy watching the site blossom into the resource it once was.

Ok, so we should probably talk about the forums a bit, since I've been mostly quiet around here.

The Marriland Forums currently operate independently from the rest of the Marriland website and the intention is to have it remain that way. This is very important to consider, especially when it comes to my involvement with the forums directly. Despite bearing my name, all administrative decisions and moderating policies are handled by the Marriland Forums Staff, not myself. It's up to the Marriland Forums Staff to determine how the Marriland Forums are run, not me.

I started the Marriland Forums all the way back in 2003 on phpBB and was the sole administrator for several years. As the forums grew, more staff were added to the team, but during these days I would always have the final say. Sometime around 2010 or 2011 (I think?), I stepped back a bit in my involvement with decisions in the forums and left most of the decision making to the administrators at the time. I'd still be able to step in if there was something necessary, but I had confidence in their abilities to run the forums while I focused more on the website.

After my role with Curse ended in late 2015, the Marriland website was rebranded to Azurilland (again, this was amicable, and the reason for this is so I could keep the Marriland username and domain name while still allowing Curse to retain the content and forums — that's why it was necessary). I am far less familiar with what happened during this time as I was no longer involved with it, but I know that there were a lot of policy changes and the staff moved to work more as a team, getting the community involved with a lot of decisions. One major change was loosening the definition of what content was acceptable, meaning previous policies that I had in place on Marriland such as swearing and other non-family-friendly content no longer applied.

Now that the history lesson is over, I want to talk a bit about the relationship we will have going forward, and also about the inclusion of two new site-related forums.

Although I personally disagree with allowing more mature language and content on the Marriland Forums, I also will not enforce any changes to the current policy here on the Marriland Forums, so long as things like hate speech, slurs, and threatening messages are not present, which the Marriland Forums Staff and I are on the same page about and I choose to believe the members here would want that for the forums anyway.

Why am I against mature language and content? It isn't that I'm trying to stifle your freedoms or ability to express yourself, but rather to keep things accessible to as wide of an audience as possible. The way I look at it, there are countless places online, in the day of social media, to express yourself however you want, with whatever language you choose, but having a safe, family-friendly space on the internet that anyone can browse, whether they are in support of or against mature content, is what I personally envision for the site and that's why I have maintained that stance throughout the years on YouTube, Twitch, and so on. So please don't look at it as me trying to be the "fun police" but understand that it's so the site can be enjoyed by as many people as possible instead of a narrower group of people.

But, like I said, the policies of the Marriland Forums are ultimately up to the Marriland Forums Staff, and I will respect that arrangement, barring any legal requirements. Likewise, the policies of the Marriland website are independent from the Marriland Forums, so my intention to keep the site remain family-friendly stands.

Alright, hopefully that makes sense, because the final part of this update is the announcement of two new forums here on the Marriland Forums.
  • Pokémon News. This forum will be dedicated to Pokémon News that is posted on the main site.
  • Site Updates. This forum is dedicated towards non-news updates to the Marriland website, such as progress updates on features like the Team Builder or other tools, announcements of new features, as well as whenever any new guides or updates are made to the walkthroughs. There may also be other content posted here that is not news-related but may still be site-related, such as product reviews or sponsored posts (reminder: there are no ads on the Marriland Forums).
  • You can leave comments on the threads that are made in here to discuss the updates, since there will not be user registration on the main website for several months and as a result there will also be no comments on the site itself.
  • Every news update should have a corresponding thread made for it here and each news update will include a direct link to that thread, so if you are logged into the Marriland Forums, you will be able to leave a message in the thread about it and discuss it with members here.
  • The threads made in these forums will be shortened excerpts as you are intended to read the full article on Marriland.com. A link will be provided to the original article, though.
One thing important to note about these two forums is, unlike the rest of the Marriland Forums, these forums will be managed by me and you must adhere to their rules. As I mentioned above, I want to keep my site family-friendly, so any comments that are left in these two forums (as well as any other site-managed forums that are added later on) must remain free of swearing (even if it would be properly censored) or other mature content. This policy only applies to the site-managed forums and there will be a prominent link to the rules of these forums. Also, violating these rules will not result in a warning unless your post violates the Rules of the Marriland Forums (or unless a Marriland Forums Staff member decides to issue one) — your post may be deleted without warning and your ability to access those specific forums may be removed, but it won't affect your standing elsewhere. So don't worry, I'm not looking to ban people or even warn people if they don't follow my family-friendly vision. I just reserve the right to clean up that area.

I'll be launching these forums sometime soon and will make the appropriate threads to go with them. Feel free to ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have and I will do my best to get back to you here about them. Thanks, everyone.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
This first statement is not so much a question as an observation of both how ambitious and awesome it is. But I find it all rather intriguing and completely understand why swearing would be harmful to your brand. I do however have a couple questions. Aside from being family friendly are there any other rules that would only apply to these new sub-forums? If so do you know what they would be or are you still thinking it over?

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
Aside from being family friendly are there any other rules that would only apply to these new sub-forums? If so do you know what they would be or are you still thinking it over?
I’m still thinking it over, but I’ll make sure the rules are available for users to view when those forums go live. I don’t really foresee much else needing to be added, though (probably stricter advertising policies to avoid self-promoting); I just need the freedom to set and enforce the rules there separate from the main rules of the forums and want to make users aware of those differences.

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
THIS IS SO AWESOME

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
I APPROVE!
I know that I don't need to approve, but I do xD

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I love the classic look of the website! Thanks for the update post as well, it must have taken a while to type up.

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Great to hear it, Marriland. I'm excited for the Team Builder to come back!

I also totally understand your stance on the family-friendly stuff. I always try to keep my messages online family friendly too for the same reasons, it's good to get as many people possibly involved as possible, and it's helpful so you don't taint your own "brand". :)

Keep up the good work!