The Nuzlocke Hunger Games - Ants Marching (Sponsors Can Still Sign-Up)

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
BasedJarrod has captured the checkpoint. @BasedJarrod and @Kaori have until Friday the 10th at 1:00 AM EST to submit their teams.

Stralend

Dreamer of Faith
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Star; Sara;
Time Zone
GMT + 1
3DS FC
5413-1220-4222
I love the playtime on that game. As I know you can easily like complete the game in less than 60 hours or so XD. Absolutely amazing. It was amazing to follow you guys through this journey! And may the best man, OR woman win!!! @Kaori @BasedJarrod :DD

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1

Additionally, I will be using my latest reward and changing Giratina's ability to Thick Fat. (Will update screenshot after) @Varhii

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod

And Giratina is number 12 although the data for it kept corrupting and turning it into a Bad Egg so here's the info:

Giratina (Malevolent) Altered
Lv 64 Bold Nature

326/135/217/144/194/138 <------STATS

That has been my TedTalk.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Congrats to Kaori for winning the Nuzlocke Hunger Games.

Thoughts:

To be honest I burned out hard on this over the past month which I strongly apologize for. At the same time, I would like to hear some thoughts on how to improve this event for the next time it is run. Bubba will likely be my co-host next time and handle the Sponsor stuff to make it more interesting and dynamic rather than just betting. I'll likely also hand out a starter kit to everyone (based on districts) and hopefully incorporate districts more and have a much better story element than the vague thing we have right now.

Things I regret about this have been the pacing. The last month aside, pacing has been terrible. Early on people had too much time and later on people didn't have enough. I think having the time limit get longer as the run goes on could help solve this problem along with giving starter kits with better stuff. I also hope that we get a similar if not better turn out in terms of participants next year.

I have nothing concrete rn as to what I would want the game to be next year. I'm currently debating between Emerald and Pokemon Black 2 and White 2.

If any of you have input, feel free to give it.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Congratulations to Kaori for winning.

Input for future games:
  • Likes the idea of a rotating shop.
  • Agrees with banning several/all legendaries.
  • Definitely needs to alter the betting system somehow. Started off fine. Went out of control due to one-sided fights. Lacks a good idea to fix it, unfortunately. Perhaps a betting limit? Could lower the maximum coin cap further too.
  • Approves of the idea of rewarding participants for choosing difficult opponents. Seems tough to objectively evaluate a team, however. Do you look at pure base stat total? How much do moves and items affect a team's rating?
  • Sunk tons of time into participating. Presumes most of that revolved around training. (May cover this partially with the starter kits.) Proposes either very cheap Rare Candies or free, unlimited Rare Candies upon reaching the checkpoint. Ditto for vitamins. Reduces the possibility of training deaths substantially. Doubts much objection to that, though.
  • Restrict Thief in some manner. Prefers not to outright ban it. Perhaps a limit of one stolen item per checkpoint? Trash anything stolen beyond that. Forces participants to prioritize.
Looks forward to the next Nuzlocke Hunger Games.

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
Congrats Kaori! :happyazurill:

One thing I noticed was the luck early on. Some people found great Pokémon while others didn't, which was unfortunate. Maybe have fewer or no eliminations at the beginning of the game and then increase them, so people get more chances of getting better Pokémon before being eliminated.

Overall, very well hosted and generally interactive. I enjoyed the punishment and reward system.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Time Zone
GMT
Congratuzabulationals Kaori!

I already put a lot of my thoughts in the Discord, but essentially people already pretty much covered them here. Ban or heavily restrict legendaries, help give a leg up to people who get really bad luck on Pokes early (I'd rather see everyone hobble along being mostly the same rather than the chasm of power that we saw happen). Can get behind a betting rework, would like to see sponsors get involved in other ways than just betting and buying items. Or at least extra ways to earn coins, it's too swing-y at the moment. I think that's the brief summary of most of what I mentioned before.

Nevertheless, I still had fun, even though I didn't really get around to continuing my story. Maybe I'll continue it on in a Library works thread or something. I look forward to being part of the next event, maybe I'll even try and subject myself to the torture personally, even if I don't have much of a clue as to what I'm doing, hehe.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cabin 2
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Congrats to Kaori!! Most of you probably already know, but she's been given a special user banner as a reward for winning.

I had fun participating (even if I did get a bit salty ;P) and am excited to help run it next year. I definitely think that there needs to be a better system implemented for EV training and leveling up, and adjusting the event to be shorter in general is a good idea too. Length and effort were really the two big glaring weaknesses. Having a starter kit and reducing the number of checkpoints are good ideas. Adding EV packs or rare candies as rewards might also make things better on that end.

Regarding betting and sponsors, I have a few ideas that I think could make it more fun. I think that letting sponsors choose a participant at the beginning and giving benefits for when they bet on/help that player would be a good idea. Something like, if you're buying items for that person you only pay 75% price, or when betting on them you get 125% the normal amount, stuff like that.

I definitely want to have a rotating shop (to create more of a supply-and-demand thing, as well as buy it while you can). I think implementing more ways for sponsors to get coins is also a good idea, although it'll take some brainstorming to come up with events or mechanics for that to happen with. I'd would also like to have rewards and punishments for sponsors in some way, maybe participants can "earn" coins for the sponsor that chose them or something. Losing a checkpoint could mean your sponsor loses some of their coins. That'd also create some motivation for a sponsor to help their individual player and would help balance out some of the luck that the games have. As good as some sponsors' intentions were, giving stuff to everyone doesn't really balance anything out, which is a bit of an issue when sponsors were one of the main ways to combat poor luck.

As far as games go, Emerald would be fun but has a lot more limited Pokedex, and also suffers from being before the physical/special split. B2W2 has other issues though, like permanent TMs and a lot more legendary Pokemon. Overall I think I'd prefer B2W2 just because I really love the Unova games lol, but I think Emerald would also work nicely.

Last edited: