the obligatory Accent Challenge/Voice thread

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i wanna hear ppl's voices! When you spend a long time on a forum sometimes you meet people and get to know them really well, without even knowing what they sound like. And what makes this extra interesting is we all come from various places on earth, with all sorts of accents, and different terms for things.

In this topic: If you want, record yourself reading the following list of words and then answering the questions. You can also post other voice recordings or discuss your voice/other people's voices hehe, anything related to voices, just stay appropriate and whatever.

(ALSO i stole a slightly different list than the one we used before since it's got more to it.)

this is a good site to use to record: https://vocaroo.com/

--
Words:

Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, Envelope

The Questions:

1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?

2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?

3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?

4. What do you call gym shoes?

5. What do you say to address a group of people?

6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?

7. What do you call your grandparents?

8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?

9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
Haha, I remember doing this damned thing on 4P with you guys. Sure, let's do this.

This is why I always love to voice call with people. About half of my sense of humour is making up silly voices for things. For the sake of this challenge though, I'll save those for later. ;)

Here's me.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Of1iPO5HiE

Fafrir

Guardian
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa

The audio quality's kind of poorish but I did do this on mobile and I had to convert it to a format Vocaroo supports. Yeah.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
last time this thread came up I was too self-conscious to do it but a lot of people have heard my voice at this point anyway haha

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Yeehaw here's my horrid voice reading these out. Sorry about my grim breathy mess of an accent

Vocaroo Link

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I did one of these many years ago but i honestly think i like this word list better. Throat is not having it in like nine different ways today so i definitely did not do this in one take :^(

also i like how some of you sound exactly like i imagined you in my head, and some of you are completely different. ¯\(ツ)

gylfie

I did one of these many years ago but i honestly think i like this word list better. Throat is not having it in like nine different ways today so i definitely did not do this in one take :^(

also i like how some of you sound exactly like i imagined you in my head, and some of you are completely different. ¯\(ツ)
count me thoroughly entertained eheh

I'd be curious to know who does or doesn't sound like what you expected :0

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
I forgot there was a reason that I don't talk much on calls lol. For some reason it cuts out for a second randomly a few times, but I didn't want to record it a second time since that would be no fun

And @Rockie my god you sped THROUGH those words

"IT'S CALLED ILLEGAL."

That got me.

@Dragonite 's entry was particularly entertaining.

Rolypoly is an utterly adorable name for that bug. I had never heard that before.

Also you all have great/cute voices don't be so harsh on yourselves. I understand what it's like to hate your voice but seriously you guys need to ease up on yourselves haha.

Last edited:

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
I apologize for the static noise for some reason my laptop didn't like it. All in all though it sounds like me so yeah.