The -=OFFICIAL=- Marriland Chatterbox Topic V. 54!

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Humanity is too focused on space, and trying to find a habitable planet to build a new colony. How could we make a sustainable home on another planet if we can't even make the Earth a sustainable home? We're getting way too ahead of ourselves, focusing on the future instead of the present.

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason humanity wants to leave the Earth is because humanity has resigned to thinking that the Earth is dying out. Instead of trying to save it, they'd rather find another planet to kill. In that respect, we're sort of like a disease, spreading from host to host.

Diarkia124

Master of Jacks
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Andrew
IGN
Andrew
You know what's actually depressing? All Star references global warming. All Star came out in 1999. Global warming is still not taken as seriously as it should be.
Another one of Smash Mouth's songs literally says "you might as well be walking on the sun". This band might be onto something.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
I honestly think that humanity focuses way too much on things like technology and robots instead of making the planet more substainable and living in the harmony with the nature.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I honestly think that humanity focuses way too much on things like technology and robots instead of making the planet more substainable and living in the harmony with the nature.
to an extent technology is going to be super important in making the planet more sustainable

i think it's more an issue with businesses and countries not wanting to spend money on it, improving the planet doesn't exactly bring in the big bucks

who cares about saving the future amirite

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
A lot of people most likely recognize that something has to be done, and might even have some concept of what that should be, but are unwilling to take some rather dramatic steps. It's hard to see, say, the US government suddenly allocating billions of dollars for what could be vital climate change research when they can't even balance a budget with all the many other things they already want to do.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT
I mean, the space scientists aren't the entire scientific research base. There are plenty of folk trying to solve climate change. Just like there are lots of people trying to cure cancer. You aren't seriously implying that just because some small section of humanity is focused on exploring more of the universe that we have dropped all other ongoing important projects to support them? It's as Bubba said, it comes down to corporations and companies being unwilling to drop a few numbers in their revenue in order to have a more sustainable future. There is good work being done in all fields though, it can just look pretty gloomy when you: 1) have a government that willingly seems not to care and; 2) you don't hear updates very often. There's been leaps and bounds in Alzheimer's research in recent years, for example. CRISPR is also on the horizon. The Science™ is always happening, and it'll never stop. Also, there is the point that focusing on space exploration directly benefits humanity with technologies that trickle down from the research. It's not a selfish endeavour. There's a whole host of everyday items that we use near-constantly that would not have existed at the time they did without research and development into space travel. That's not to mention that one of the big obstacles facing our Mars-bound brethren is managing CO² on a global scale, and the solutions to that will directly unlock the answers for how we can do that better back on Earth.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
You know what's actually depressing? All Star references global warming. All Star came out in 1999. Global warming is still not taken as seriously as it should be.
Another one of Smash Mouth's songs literally says "you might as well be walking on the sun". This band might be onto something.
To fully understand the lyrics of "Walkin' On The Sun" you need to deep dive YouTube tutorial videos about how to avoid single-use plastics and plant more trees. It is a very complex song, after all.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
CST
There's been leaps and bounds in Alzheimer's research in recent years, for example. CRISPR is also on the horizon.
Just as a quick note, CRISPR is already a widely-used technique in biology - a ton of scientific papers utilizing it have been published since its discovery in 2014 or so. You are right, though, in that we definitely haven't reached the limit of the potential of this technique. (For those not in the know, CRISPR is system based off a bacterial gene-editing process that can be used to directly edit DNA sequences in any living organism.)

As someone who works in the scientific research field (more specifically, virology), I believe technological advancements are very much needed to deal with climate change, especially on a global scale. Just as important, however, is being able to adjust and adapt to any changes in the environment and the downstream effects that changing climates will have, as well as being able to accurately predict what those changes will be. Disciplines such as astronomy may not seem to be directly helping this effort, but I'm sure those who are studying other planets are making comparisons between what they're seeing out there and what's happening on Earth (I'm sure you all can guess another planet in this solar system that experiences the greenhouse effect, for example). Space technology can also be used for directly studying Earth, too, such as through remote sensing using satellites and other forms of spacecraft. I'm not particularly interested in colonizing Mars or other places in the Solar System at the moment, but the technologies being developed for that end could have a lot of other applications. (Also, I consider colonizing space more as a "last ditch effort if all other hopes for the survival of humanity are toast" rather than "we're gonna focus on this instead of fixing problems down here.")

If you're interested in learning more about what scientists are trying to do for global warming and other topics important to you, I think it's better to seek them out on your own instead of simply following more general media. There's a lot of research being done on topics that the media isn't going to be interested in for a lot of reasons, and even scientists struggle sometimes to adequately explain their work to the general public and/or connect their own work to the larger picture, but none of the stuff they are doing is pointless, or else their studies wouldn't be funded at all. Space may be a sensational topic for the media, but I assure you all that there is a lot more research happening in other scientific disciplines such as medicine, genetics, ecology, geology, physics, chemistry, etc. that may not be getting the attention it deserves.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I mean, the space scientists aren't the entire scientific research base. There are plenty of folk trying to solve climate change. Just like there are lots of people trying to cure cancer. You aren't seriously implying that just because some small section of humanity is focused on exploring more of the universe that we have dropped all other ongoing important projects to support them? It's as Bubba said, it comes down to corporations and companies being unwilling to drop a few numbers in their revenue in order to have a more sustainable future. There is good work being done in all fields though, it can just look pretty gloomy when you: 1) have a government that willingly seems not to care and; 2) you don't hear updates very often. There's been leaps and bounds in Alzheimer's research in recent years, for example. CRISPR is also on the horizon. The Science™ is always happening, and it'll never stop. Also, there is the point that focusing on space exploration directly benefits humanity with technologies that trickle down from the research. It's not a selfish endeavour. There's a whole host of everyday items that we use near-constantly that would not have existed at the time they did without research and development into space travel. That's not to mention that one of the big obstacles facing our Mars-bound brethren is managing CO² on a global scale, and the solutions to that will directly unlock the answers for how we can do that better back on Earth.
That's a fair point, and yes, the media is what I was talking about, because that's what most of the public wants to hear. Not very many people are willing to make lifestyle changes if it's too inconvenient for them. I will admit there has been progress though. Most grocery stores in my area don't provide plastic bags anymore, and even now, more people prefer to use reusable bags over paying 5 cents for a paper bag. But then you have all the people making a big stink over having to use paper straws instead of plastic straws, and that's a little depressing to hear.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT
Most grocery stores in my area don't provide plastic bags anymore, and even now, more people prefer to use reusable bags over paying 5 cents for a paper bag. But then you have all the people making a big stink over having to use paper straws instead of plastic straws, and that's a little depressing to hear.
People are stupid.

I work in retail and the sheer amount of people who still demand free bags is just astounding. Our chain has now replaced our standard plastic bags for fully compostable ones, so they're very good. But just because they're a liiittle weaker than the ordinary ones, people really flip out over them. So stupid.

Thankfully not everyone is like that.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Idk, I think an argument could be made that everyone is very stupid. Maybe not all the time, but at some point.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Idk, I think an argument could be made that everyone is very stupid. Maybe not all the time, but at some point.
that doesn't mean stupidity is ok tho, everyone does dumb stuff but consequences still exist

in the case of pollution, everyone shares the consequences, which is frustrating when some people are working against it and trying to be conscious of the enviroment

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
You know what they say: The internet makes you stupid. :hmmazurill:

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i try to be very conscious when it comes to like throwing stuff away bc my family has a problem where they throw any garbage and recyclable from the counter into one bag and put it in the trash so i took on the role of yelling at them to separate them

save the turtles

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
i try to be very conscious when it comes to like throwing stuff away bc my family has a problem where they throw any garbage and recyclable from the counter into one bag and put it in the trash so i took on the role of yelling at them to separate them

save the turtles
Oh yeah. There's always a tiny fear in the back of my mind that someday I'll turn into a hoarder because I don't like throwing stuff away sometimes. You never know when some little thingamajig will be useful.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy

save the turtles
Oh yeah. There's always a tiny fear in the back of my mind that someday I'll turn into a hoarder because I don't like throwing stuff away sometimes. You never know when some little thingamajig will be useful.
Based on context I think Kaleb was talking about actual trash and recyclables :hmmazurill:
AT hoards trash confirmed

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
How can we be sure AT doesn't actually live in a landfill? :thonkazurill:

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Dang he’s really taking the poor college student life to a new level then

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hey my room is NEAT

and TIDY

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I can't help but feel like the way you capitalized "neat" and "tidy" is supposed to mean something, but I can't put my finger on it.