The -=OFFICIAL=- Marriland Chatterbox Topic V. 54!

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Time Zone
GMT
Does anyone else get frustrated whenever you're having trouble with a boss fight and you're looking up tips online, that there's always that one guy saying "Well I never had any problems with that boss fight, so I don't know how to give you any advice!"

Then why even comment?
Alwaaaayysss. I get this issue from time to time. They're just so unhelpful, there's just no need for the snark when you're looking for legitimate advice.

citricsquid

New Trainer
Nah, they're still haunting us from beyond the grave.

cries in lost archive
Really, I think that's the most Curse way for Azurilland to have gone out. Shut down the forums but promise that they will be archived, don't archive everything and then one day just straight up have the entire archive completely disappear, not even a year after the forums shut down.

e2: ...and now the archives are back on. Curse.txt
Sorry about that, that's on me. I'm the Curse employee who built the archive system and maintains it. A super high level overview of the archive system is: each archived website has a directory filled with archived pages, then a system sits in front of that which accepts requests and works out which archived page to provide, then it does some processing and returns the archived page. There was a bug with the system that caused the processing to fail: the content wasn't lost, it was just not being returned correctly, and due to the way our system runs with caching my uptime checks thought the system was working and so I wasn't alerted to the problem. The system has been fixed now and I've improved a couple of different things, it's more reliable now and this shouldn't happen again.

The reason some pages weren't archived is because the archive system is -- at its core -- a simple crawler that visits a page (e.g: azurilland.com) then looks for all the links, visit them, looks for all the links... repeat until the archive is filled. The problem is that some pages during the archiving process returned errors, and some pages weren't linked from other pages that were found, so the archiving system didn't know about them. That's far from ideal, and unfortunate that it happened -- I care a lot about retaining history of these community websites, that's why I built the system in my free time -- but it wasn't something we could avoid: we got the highest level of coverage we could. Much like how Google or archive.org doesn't have every single page.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt, just thought I'd provide some clarity as I saw a lot of confusion. The blame for the downtime is all on me, not the wider Curse organisation, everybody at the company -- the leadership especially -- has been super supportive of the archiving system, everybody cares a lot about doing our best to prevent content from being lost.

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
No worries. Thanks for clarifying, citricsquid!

Also, Sly Penguin is someone I haven't seen in a while. :P

Wren

Adept Trainer
Did anyone else see the trailer for the new Zelda game? The fact that it's called a "sequel" to Breath of the Wild could mean it's the same Link and Zelda, but there might be a new villain now that Ganon is gone.

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
I’ve been pretty good, thanks for asking! Am sad that TSI and Eevee Clan both closed, but at least we still have STR and Cacnea Compound.
Yeah, a lot of the older clubs are no longer around. Last I remember, I thought TSI was fairly active though!

Also, hello Jacob and Wiktoria! :D

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
TSI died slowly. People weren't keeping up with it anymore. Its time had come.

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Nah, they're still haunting us from beyond the grave.

cries in lost archive
Really, I think that's the most Curse way for Azurilland to have gone out. Shut down the forums but promise that they will be archived, don't archive everything and then one day just straight up have the entire archive completely disappear, not even a year after the forums shut down.

e2: ...and now the archives are back on. Curse.txt
Sorry about that, that's on me. I'm the Curse employee who built the archive system and maintains it. A super high level overview of the archive system is: each archived website has a directory filled with archived pages, then a system sits in front of that which accepts requests and works out which archived page to provide, then it does some processing and returns the archived page. There was a bug with the system that caused the processing to fail: the content wasn't lost, it was just not being returned correctly, and due to the way our system runs with caching my uptime checks thought the system was working and so I wasn't alerted to the problem. The system has been fixed now and I've improved a couple of different things, it's more reliable now and this shouldn't happen again.

The reason some pages weren't archived is because the archive system is -- at its core -- a simple crawler that visits a page (e.g: azurilland.com) then looks for all the links, visit them, looks for all the links... repeat until the archive is filled. The problem is that some pages during the archiving process returned errors, and some pages weren't linked from other pages that were found, so the archiving system didn't know about them. That's far from ideal, and unfortunate that it happened -- I care a lot about retaining history of these community websites, that's why I built the system in my free time -- but it wasn't something we could avoid: we got the highest level of coverage we could. Much like how Google or archive.org doesn't have every single page.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt, just thought I'd provide some clarity as I saw a lot of confusion. The blame for the downtime is all on me, not the wider Curse organisation, everybody at the company -- the leadership especially -- has been super supportive of the archiving system, everybody cares a lot about doing our best to prevent content from being lost.
Look man, I can definitely respect you coming here and saying all that. I'm sure it isn't easy to come to a forum on the internet that broke away from your company and, truth be told, has basically lost faith in your company over the years to the point where getting shut down felt like a blessing in disguise, so kudos to you on that.

That said, I'm not gonna lie that I'm not happy about the way Azurilland was archived (as can be inferred from my quoted post), and I'd like to ask some questions about it if you're willing to answer (although if you don't want to or can't then that's cool, no worries). But first, I'm curious about something. With Magic Find taking over Curse's forums that were being archived, what does that mean for Azurilland's archive? Do they inherit that as well?

Last edited:

Gokudera

4th Dan
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Devin
I’ve been pretty good, thanks for asking! Am sad that TSI aind Eevee Clan both closed, but at least we still have STR and Cacnea Compound.
Yeah, a lot of the older clubs are no longer around. Last I remember, I thought TSI was fairly active though!

Also, hello Jacob and Wiktoria! :D
This makes me miss Blazers United..and all those Hot Pokemon Comets.

Gokudera

4th Dan
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Devin
TSI: Mr Cacnea, i don't feel so good.