• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

The Pokemon Viability Project 2

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
I want to continue this series because it's a very fun idea, making Pokemon that naturally are worse off/much worse off become better with some buffs. This thread is made because the last post in the old one was made in late February, so per the rules, this is now here. For the second coming, I want to encourage more discussion and see what kind of input other people have to ideas being put out there!

Also note, if you see Pokemon that were part of the first thread, then please don't post them again in this thread unless your idea is wildly different or you want to expand upon that person's previous idea.

So for my first two Pokemon, I'm choosing Lunatone and Solrock.

Introduced in Hoenn, these two share the rather unique Rock/Psychic typing. They are counterparts, one representing the Sun, and the other representing the Moon. They both also have the ability Levitate, meaning they take no damage from Ground type moves, as well as become immune to damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes. They are also unaffected by Sticky Web and Arena Trap thanks to this ability.
Let's look at some positives:
  • Access to Stealth Rocks, one of the defining entry hazards since Gen 4.
  • Access to the healing moves of Morning Sun and Moonlight, respectively.
  • Between the two of them, they have access to very useful moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Trick Room, Magic Coat, Calm Mind, Rock Polish, and weather setting moves.
  • Can come in on Ground moves and most hazards thanks to their Levitate ability.
Negatives:
  • Lack of solid stats
    • With Solrock, it is more physically inclined, having 95 base Attack and 85 Defense, but with only 70 Speed and 65 Special Defense, it can't capitalize on its bulk or offensive capabilities at all. It would take Rock Polish, but the lack of bulk makes it hard to use effectively.
    • With Lunatone it's the same but on the Special Side.
  • Too many weaknesses
    • Being weak to Water, Ghost, Dark, Bug, Grass, and Steel means that both Lunatone and Solrock have hard times staying in on most Pokemon in any given tier, but even the lowest tiers are littered with Grass, Water, Bug, and Dark types that can effectively beat them both down.
With this information in mind, I wanna first offer possible changes to Solrock.

Current Stats: 90/95/85/55/65/70

For the first change, I propose taking away some points in HP, Defense, and Special Attack, and investing them into Speed as a start. Taking 10 from HP and Special Attack, and 5 from Defense stats leave Solrock with 80/95/80/45/65/95. Already that's 25 more Base Speed, which is a lot more respectable for a Pokemon with moves such as Flare Blitz, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, Iron Head and Stone Edge. Also, I would add 15 points in Attack to really give it some more offensive power (making it base 110 Attack). I would also say give it access to U-Turn, which helps it pivot out of unfavorable matchups (and it makes sense thanks to the day and night cycle since the sun gradually shifts with the moon).

So with this finalized change for a sweeper set that can either scout or punch holes early game or clean up late game with amazing moves.

As for a set:

Solrock @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
252 ATK / 4 DEF / 252 SPE
Jolly/Adamant (depending on item) Nature
  • U-Turn/Flare Blitz
  • Stone Edge/Rock Slide
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake
Now, with Lunatone, I'd rather it be a defensive Pokemon, because I want them to be more unique. Right now we have Solrock as more of a offensive sweeper/cleaner, so why not make Lunatone bulkier/stallier?

Current Stats: 90/55/65/95/85/70

Right away, we can ditch some speed and Attack, as that won't be necessary on this boi. Why don't we take 20 off of Attack and 30 from Speed? We can give 25 to defense, 20 to Special Defense and 5 to Special Attack right now to make it 90/35/90/105/105/40. More solid bulk all around, and a nice 105 Special Attack. And since I gave 15 to Solrock, I'll give 15 to Lunatone's HP, making it 105/35/90/105/105/40. Much better.

It has access to Toxic, Calm Mind, Moonlight, Trick Room, Stealth Rocks, Magic Coat, and Substitute, making it the perfect candidate to be slow, yet deadly. As for moves, there isn't much I wanna add aside from Rapid Spin. It's very unfortunate that there are no better special Rock or Ground moves than Power Gem and Earth Power (that isn't exclusive like Diamond Storm), because I would not hesitate to throw it on Lunatone right now. It does get Moonblast, though, which makes sense. Lunatone's better Special Attack lends it more to being able to stop its Ghost, Water, and Ground weaknesses due to moves like Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, and Ice Beam. Man does it get a lot of strong moves that naturally favor it.

There are a bunch of sets I wanna make for it, but I'll limit it to 3 sets and see what you guys think:

Lunatone @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD
Nature: Sassy/Relaxed
  • Trick Room
  • Moonlight
  • Psychic/Shadow Ball
  • Grass Knot/Ice Beam/Moonblast
The two attacking moves are really either if you want STAB + coverage or just coverage. Of course, this depends on the rest of your team.

Lunatone @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPA
Nature: Calm/Bold
  • Calm Mind
  • Earth Power/Power Gem
  • Psychic/Moonlight
  • Grass Knot/Ice Beam/Moonblast
This set should probably focus more on coming in on something locked into EQ or a Pokemon it can naturally force out, like Manectric, Ampharos, Articuno, Cryogonal, or Rotom Frost. It can then set up, or go for a move predicting a switch. Lunatone unfortunately can not take most (if any) Fighting types on its own like Hitmonchan or Primeape thanks to a neutrality to Fighting type moves, an Poison types like Victreebell, Haunter, and Skuntank have a secondary typing and STAB that threaten it. So Psychic can potentially be swapped out for Moonlight so it can recover as it sets up.

One last one that I kinda like because stall is:

Lunatone @ Leftovers
252 HP/4 DEF/252 SPD
Nature: Calm/Sassy
  • Stealth Rock
  • Toxic
  • Moonlight
  • Power Gem/Moonblast
This is meant to be a bulky hazard setter than wears down other Pokemon over time.

Let me know what you think, any changes or other sets you might want, and feel free to try and make another Pokemon more competitively viable!

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
For the next Pokemon, I wanna go waaaaay back to Gen 1. A Pokemon that would be damn near useless if it didn't have access to Spore: Parasect.

Parasect is a Bug/Grass Pokemon introduced to us way back in the late 1990's with Pokemon Red and Green. The idea is that the Tochukaso mushroom has completely taken over its body and uses it as a host. In theory, with access to moves like Leech Seed, Stun Spore, and Spore, Parasect should be a Pokemon that really annoys and hinders the opposing team's Pokemon.
Positives:
  • Decent abilities:
    • With the abilities Dry Skin and Effect Spore, Parasect can either absorb Water moves (negating the damage completely) or spread statuses against Pokemon attacking with contact moves. Dry Skin may be more useful in more situations, but they're genuinely not bad abilities to choose from.
  • Utility:
    • Parasect gets Spore, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Aromatherapy, Reflect, and Light Screen. Again, IN THEORY, they are very useful moves to have on a more defensive Pokemon, but Parasect's stats actually suit it to be more of an attacker (or at least bulky attacker), so finding space for these moves can be rather challenging.
Negatives:
  • Typing:
    • Parasect's typing leaves so much to be desired. It is weak to Bug, Poison, Ice, and Rock. It is also 4x weak to Fire and Flying moves. And if you're running Dry Skin instead of Effect Spore, Fire becomes 5x weak, meaning even moves like Fire Spin or Ember will likely OHKO it in all honesty. It's affected by Stealth Rock, losing 25% HP when it comes onto the battlefield, meaning unless you can keep them off the field, you're gonna have a bad day.
  • Awful Coverage Moves:
    • Aside from STAB moves, the following useful coverage applies to Parasect: Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Knock Off, Metal Claw. Most of them aren't even that strong, but you're scraping at the bottom of the barrel for useful moves outside of those. Have fun with Rock Smash instead lol. This can be somewhat offset by Swords Dance, but with a Base 30 Speed, you're gonna have to pray for survive a turn if you're not operating in Trick Room.
  • Awful Stats:
    • Parasect's highest stat is 95 Base Attack, which is underwhelming even at some of the lowest levels thanks to power creep. With Parasect's many weaknesses in mind, learning that Parasect's bulk is 60/80/80 is pretty bad as well. The only way it can alleviate this problem is with Reflect/Light Screen, and that isn't a very realistic option with the absolute necessity for moves like Spore, Swords Dance, and STAB moves such as Leech Life and Seed Bomb.
I get it, Parasect is meant to be one of those early game Pokemon you use until you find a better Pokemon (and in gen 1, it won't be Grass or Bug types anyway). But as time goes on it has become so useless and so forgettable that it's Untiered, the lowest of the low for Pokemon that have no role that others can't do better. However, I kinda like it anyway and wanna see what I can do.

NOTE: These changes are all based on my opinions, and I know they probably won't happen for real anyway.

The first thing I want to take a look at is its base 405 stat total. That's less than some mid stage Pokemon, let alone fully evolved ones. And the distribution goes like this: 60/95/80/60/80/30. What I want to do before anything else is change that spread around. Its Special Attack stat of 60 is too much for a Pokemon that can't use it effectively in the first place. So how about we match its Speed by taking 30 away and placing 10 into Attack and 20 into HP?

Current Stat Spread: 80/105/80/30/80/30.

Now that typing. Bug/Grass is horrible defensively, and I feel like it's meant to be a bulky offense Pokemon instead of exclusively offense-based.

Mega Evolution is something introduced to us 6 years ago in Pokemon X and Y, a concept that genuinely made some rather awful Pokemon extremely good like Sableye, Mawile, Lopunny, Beedrill, and Manectric. And while new ones haven't been introduced since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, why not give one to Parasect? Might as well while we're at it.

Mega Parasect - The Host Pokemon
Type: Bug/Ghost
Ability: Drain
"Every last bit of energy and life Parasect had has been absorbed by the Tochukaso on its back, leaving the mushroom in complete control. Spores and other fungi now grow on the carcass. Mega Parasect's Tochukaso sends out vibrations to draw other Paras and Parasect near to drain their energy as well."
Mega Parasect has now become an invasive species to other Parasect and robs them of their energy. I like the idea of making it a Ghost type instead of Grass because Parasect is effectively dead now. Instead of a red body, it's now dull and grayer while the Tochukaso mushroom is as bright red as ever. The whited out eyes are damn near falling out of their sockets because even the muscles and nerves have been drained of energy.

Drain is an ability I just thought of. Whenever Mega Parasect uses a contact move against an opposing Pokemon, it drains 12% of the damage it has done (probably better to do like 10% or 8% if busted). So stacking moves like Leech Seed and then Leech Life means you're draining a lot of HP and remaining on the field. It keeps its Stealth Rock weakness for a Normal and Fighting immunity, as well as losing weakness to Ice, Poison, and Bug, and the double weakness to Fire and Flying. Much, MUCH better.

As for the new stat spread, I picture this:

80/140/125/20/125/15

Take 10 from Special Attack and 15 from Speed to make it a 125 stat boost while still making a 100 point difference overall. Give it access to Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, and Curse from Move Tutors, and I think you make Parasect much better.

As for a set for Mega Parasect:

Parasect @ Parasectite
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPD
  • Leech Seed/Substitute
  • Leech Life
  • Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw
  • Knock Off
Leech Seed + Leech Life make the most use out of the Drain ability, but having Substitute with Leech Life and Drain ability allows you to keep making more Subs. The choice between Shadow Sneak and Shadow Claw is really if you wanna pick your opponent off at low HP or if you're behind a Substitute and you're trying to do as much damage as possible. And then Knock Off is obligatory for removing items. I almost want to say you may switch it out for Brick Break so you can continue covering Rock types and your new weakness to Dark, but it can also just be up to your discretion when taking into account the rest of your team.

As for tier, I'm not the best with predicting tiers, but I could see this in RU or UU with the combo of a titanic 140 Attack stat and 125 in both defenses. The only thing that really holds it back is the speed, which can be mitigated in Trick Room, and the necessity to keep Stealth Rocks off the field. That second point, though, really applies to a lot of Pokemon so don't stress out TOO much.

-------------------------------

As a side note, I'd really like to see what ideas other people have as well, or feedback on the ideas I've given!

Last edited:

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Nice to see this alive and kicking again tbh :hmmazurill:
Yeah Lunatone and Solrock were pretty boring and I don't think the buffs make them particularly interesting, I liked the difference between the two as in one of them was an attack variant and the other being a defensive variant. Made them distinct. Though honestly I don't think they'd be very high up in the end anyway? Especially lunatone, since a rock type just is not meant to be defensive. Solrock seems better off, but I still don't think it would be very viable either and how tf would solrock of all things u-turn. Definitely improvements though!

I really like Mega Parasect. It's such a cool idea for a Pokemon and might be a revamp for a Pokemon that no one seems to remember past Misty. I definitely did not expect it being orientated towards attack, but it's definitely an interesting take. I don't know how well it would do since neither type is very offensive so I would imagine it would reach low UU, but I'm a bad judge of that. The new ability is a neat idea? Due to both types not being that crazy offensive, 12% might work, but 8% is definitely more feasible
Now on to the show:
Today's victim for a good old competitive make over is...drumroll

Klinklang is such a good Pokemon imo, with a decently high base total of 520, so it has loads of potential to be a good Pokemon! So here is an overview of it's list of good attributes and bad attributes

The GOOD
  • Great set up moves: Klinklang has access to Rock Polish, Autotomize, Iron Defense and most importantly: Shift Gear. All these speed boosting moves use it's rather decent speed and makes it skyrocket, special mention to shift gear boosting speed by two stages and boosting attack by one stage.
  • Typing: Steel type is a very good defensive typing, allowing it to set up rather easily on a lot of Pokemon.
The BAD
  • Movepool: Klinklang has just about no coverage besides wild charge when it comes to it's physical moves, which is what it's seen using most of all and even it's main attacking move gear grind is not completely reliable with an accuracy of 85%.
  • Stats: Klinklang has a rather sub-par attack stat and its other stats don't do much for it besides defense. It's HP stat is pretty awful which makes it's decent defenses crumble.
  • Abilities: Klinklang has the ability clear body, which is okay at best, but it's other abilities don't do anything in singles so it really doesn't have much of an active ability to work with.
Possible improvements:

It's original stat spread is as follows:
60 HP/100 Atk/115 Def/70 SpA/85 SpD/90 Spd = 520 BST

My suggestion for it's new stats would be:
80 HP/125 Atk/115 Def/30 SpA/90 SpD/80 Spd = 520 BST
New Ability: Heatproof
New Moves: Iron Head, High horsepower

Reasoning:
I reduced Klinklang's SpA since even though it has multiple decent specially offensive moves, it doesn't have any ways to boost it's SpA so it's base 70 is wasted on it, so I decided to cut down on it and spread it to it's other stats. It's Atk and HP were in dire need for a boost, so that's where most of the focus went towards. I increased the SpD just a bit just for the sake of balancing out numbers and reduced the Spd by 10 points. Reducing the speed might have been an odd choice, but with it's speed boosting moves doubling it's speed, I doubt it needs such a high speed stat.

The ability heatproof is more of an afterthought? Gears have to handle high temperature so why not. Clear Body is a decent enough ability so it doesn't matter much, but having heatproof seemed like it fit well enough and removes one of it's weaknesses

The move Iron head is essential, just to have reliable STAB. Arguably, gear grind is better since it can get rid of a substitute, but I prefer accuracy over that. High Horsepower is just good coverage that goes with the whole gear shtick, so it's feasible enough to be possible for Klinklang.

That's about it I think lol. I'd appreciate any input!

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
You know @Moxie, I was not a big fan of the changes you made to Klinklang until I had a lot more time to think about it. Base 80 Speed means that it hits 568 Speed after 1 Shift Gear, meaning it’s a very dangerous Pokémon to try to outspeed. Talonflame isn’t outspeeding it, Mega Alakazam isn’t outspeeding it, Mega Lopunny isn’t outspeeding it, etc.

I don’t know if giving it a move like Zen Headbutt makes sense, but I would like that for coverage.

Because then you get Shift Gear + Iron Head/Gear Grind, Zen Headbutt, High Horsepower

And then 125 Attack at +1 is 574.5 (think it gets rounded up so 575), which is monstrous with a multi hit move breaking Sash, Sturdy, And Substitute.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin

Mega Tropius

Tropius is a really cool Pokémon introduced in Gen 3 with a (no longer) unique Grass/Flying type, meaning it hates Ice type moves with an icey passion. However, it does make it immune to all entry hazards exept Stealth Rock. It also has some weird stats, none of which end in a 5 or a 0. 99/68/83/72/87/51. Seriously, what the heck are those stats?
Anyway, I’ve always really liked this banana tree Pokémon, and I thought giving it a Mega would make it more viable. So let’s look at its positives and negatives first

Positives:

Solid HP stat. With 99 Base HP, Tropius can reach 402 at Level 100.
While it’s Offensive stats are subpar, it gets quite a few tools on both the physical and special side. Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Curse, and Solar Power as an Ability. It also gets a lot of interesting moves, especially on the Physical side. Earthquake, Outrage, Dragon Hammer, Leaf Blade, Double-Edge, Leaf Storm, Razor Wind Dragon Pulse, and Stomping Tantrum.
It has decent Defenses as well, and coupled with its 99 HP, it has decent survivability.

Negatives:

Its Speed is just plain sad at 51. Even with a Dragon Dance, it’s not going to outspeed much after a single boost.
It’s typing really doesn’t compliment itself well. Quad weak to Ice, and weak to Stealth Rock.
As stated above, its offenses are subpar, meaning it’s going to always rely on a boost of some sort, meaning you’re taking a turn on the Physical side, and taking damage in the sun on the Special side.

Considering that Tropius can be viable both Physically and Specially, I’ve decided to come up with 2 ideas for Megas.

Mega Tropis P
(Physical)

STATS

99/128/103/32/107/91

Boost Attack by 60, Defense and Special Defense by 20, Drop Special Attack by 40, Boost Speed by 40.

Ability: Chlorophyll.

Additional moves: Brave Bird

This would make Mega Tropius a threat in the sun, especially with Dragon Dance in its moveset. Giving it 103 and 107 in Defenses would make it much bulkier, and having 128 in Attack would let do some solid damage, even in a more defensive set.
I’d also give it Brave Bird because why the hell does Tropius not have Brave Bird?

Mega Tropis S
99/28/103/132/107/91.

Ability: Solar Power.
Added moves: Calm Mind

I’d distribute its stats the same as it’s Physical counterpart, but obviously drop Attack by 40 and Boost Special Attack by 60
Solar Power works as a Sunny Day Life Orb, and I feel with it’s better bulk and access to Roost, it’d be a very beneficial ability.
I think giving it Calm Mind would be a great way to further boost its power, and considering Infernape and the Legendary beast can learn Calm Mind, I didn’t think it was too farfetched for a Grass/Flying type to learn it.

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
So far we've seen Pokemon from Kanto, Hoenn, and Unova, so I want to take a step back and visit Johto! Gold, Silver, and Crystal are unique (as well as their remakes) for allowing you to travel to an entirely different region after you beat the main story. While chunks of Kanto weren't available in GSC due to limitations on the Gameboy, Heart Gold and Soul Silver allowed all of Kanto to be explored, with mini stories added to keep it fresh. And in the same generation that HGSS was released in, a bunch of older Pokemon got new evolutions to make them better (or to be Dusknoir). One Pokemon that was not fortunate enough to gain an evolution is the Pokemon I'm covering today, Sunflora.

Sunflora is a pure Grass type Pokemon based on a sunflower. With the abilities of Chlorophyll and Solar Power, Sunflora should be a MONSTER on Sun-based weather teams. It even gets access to Sunny Day itself, meaning if it can survive a hit, it can potentially help out other Pokemon that benefit from the sun.
Let's look at the positives Sunflora brings to the table:
  • Coverage:
    • While not TOO diverse, Sunflora can get by some of its checks thanks to moves like Earth Power, which helps the Fire weakness, and Sludge Bomb, which stops it from being walled completely by other Grass types.
  • Utility:
    • Sunflora gets access to Leech Seed, Ingrain, Worry Seed, Encore, Light Screen, Grasswhistle, and both Morning Sun AND Synthesis, meaning that, in theory, it can really screw up other set up sweepers with Encore, tank special hits better, put Pokemon to sleep, and gain huge chunks of HP a turn.
  • A Nice Smile:
    • Always so happy all the time :)
Negatives:
  • Typing:
    • Pure Grass is not the best typing defensively or offensively because it is weak to Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice, and Poison, while only hitting Ground, Rock, and Water types in return. Water types typically carry Ice Beam anyway, so you can't even rely on that positive too much.
  • Stats:
    • You would THINK that with Chlorophyll and Solar Power as potential abilities, Sunflora's stats would let it take advantage of that. If you thought that, however, you'd be wrong. It has a Base 30 Speed, which makes the speed boost from Chlorophyll in the sun not even enough to outspeed stuff. And also with 75/55/85 bulk, Solar Power chipping away at Sunflora's already low HP every turn in the sun means it won't be staying in long at all. As an untiered Pokemon, Sunflora can't even HOPE to get past Pokemon like Monferno, Volbeat, Rotom-Frost or Rapidash.
Sunflora is a Pokemon that, considering when you get it in Johto (after Goldenrod City, in which case Bellsprout and Hoppip have already been available) means it's not worth using. Especially with a Base Stat total of 425. With an evolution, however, I think Sunflora can be more viable competitively.

Sunkern -> Sunflora -> Sunflare

Sunflare, the Floral Pokemon.

Sunflare is the mutation of Sunflora due to prolonged exposure to the sun's rays, causing its body to adapt. Sunflare's body radiates heat as it collects more and more energy from the sun.

Sunflare evolves from Sunflora at level 33 during the day.

Sunflare is based off the Firecracker Sunflower, a hybrid of the sunflower. Naturally since Sunflora has two sun based abilities and is a sunflower, I thought it was a logical next step. Sunflare gains the Fire typing, causing it to be the first ever Grass/Fire type Pokemon.

- Sunflora's base stats are 75/75/55/105/85/30

- Sunflare's base stats are 85/60/80/115/105/80

- Sunflare retains the same possible abilities as Sunflora does, meaning it remains a Chlorophyll sweeper, or a strong nuke with Solar Power.

Sunflare can now effectively run either Choice Specs (w/Chlorophyll) or Choice Scarf (w/Solar Power), meaning it can actually do stuff to some Pokemon.

As for type effectiveness, Sunflare is weak against Flying, Poison, and Rock, while being strong against Bug, Grass, Steel, Ice, Water, Rock, and Ground. It is resistant to Grass, Electric, Steel, and Fairy. It unfortunately gains a weakness to Stealth Rock, losing 25% on switch in, which shortens its sweeping capabilities.

As for new moves I'd give it, I'd like to see it get Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Overheat, Heat Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Fiery Dance (Volcarona's signature move, because I think it could potentially fit, idk) to capitalize on the new Fire typing. Burn Up also would make sense but it doesn't really matter since no one uses it on a regular basis.

As for a set, I'd imagine this:

Sunflare @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power/Chlorophyll
Timid/Modest Nature
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  • Flamethrower/Fire Blast
  • Giga Drain/Solar Beam
  • Earth Power
  • Hidden Power Rock
Flamethrower for accuracy, Fire Blast for full nuking potential. Giga Drain for accuracy and offsetting the HP loss from Solar Power, Solar Beam for nuking potential in the Sun. Earth Power for other Fire types that resist your dual STAB, and Hidden Power Rock for Flying types.

This effectively makes it better than Vileplume and Victreebell, other dual Grass type Chlorophyll Pokemon that typically would function better thanks to Poison STAB and better stats. Granted, Sunflare is weak to all entry hazards (wheras the fomer two absorb T-Spikes), but it's much stronger and can hit a variety of types super effectively. Its speed is no longer holding it back from being the sun sweeper it was meant to be, without also being too busted.

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Let's go back to Kanto to a different Pokémon, one that likes leeks, and is hot garbage. Farfetch'd!
This Wild Duck Pokémon has utterly terrible stats, with no stat breaking 100, even with a 25BP boost to it's Attack between Generations 6 and 7.
I really like Farfetch'd, and Gamefreak clearly likes it, too, since they gave this ducky a boost, but that boost just wasn't enough to even put it in PU. I'd like to change that.
Let's look at Ch'Ding's Positives:
-Stick. An exclusive item for Farfetch'd that boosts it's Critical Hit ratio by 2 stages. Pretty good if you worship RNGesus.
-A pretty good movepool with access to First Impression, a move it shares only with Golisopod. Basically a 90 BP U-Turn. That's kinda neat.
Farfetch'd also gets Knock Off, Leaf Blade, Night Slade, Iron Tail, and Poison Jab.
-They boosted its base Attack from 65 to 90 between Generation 6 and 7. Not a great attack stat by any means, but it's eons better than 65.

That's really about it. Now for the negatives:
-Farfetch'd is extremely frail. Base 52 HP, and 55/62 Defenses respectively. Farfetch'd is already weak to Stealth Rock, so it's not going to survive much of anything.
-It's another slow Flying type with a base Speed of 60. That kind of hinders its pivotability with First Impression (That's a word now.)
-Its Attack stat was raised in between generations, but 90 still isn't great. It's ok after a Swords Dance boost, but you need to be able to get that SD boost first.
-It can "counter" Rock types with Leaf Blade, but has no real answers to Ice or Electric types. Mud Slap is its best Ground move, and Heat Wave is its best Fire move.

For Farfetch'd, I'm not going to give it any evolution, normal or Mega. I kind of just want to improve on this boy slightly, so it can get some kind of use competitively.

Farfetch'd's base stats:
52/90/55/58/62/60. BST: 377.
My suggested changes:
52/115/65/28/72/80 BST: 412
I gave Farfetch'd a total positive change of 35 BST. I felt that since they boosted it's Attack by 25, 35 wouldn't seem to farfetched out of the ordinary.
This would make it a decent sweeper in PU, since it gets access to Agility.
I'd also like to replace Inner Focus with Sniper. Pairing Sniper with Stick would make Farfetch'd fairly strong if it can get those Crits going. As for new moves, I think and Extreme Speed would be good additions.

Here's a set for the new and improves Farfetch'd.
Farfetch'd @Stick
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def.
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ability: Sniper
-First Impression
-Brave Bird
-Leaf Blade
-Swords Dance/Knock Off/Extreme Speed

First Impression would be fairly beneficial as a pivot now, since Farfetch'd has passable speed, Brave Bird is a must for Flying Types. Leaf Blade takes care of Rock types. Knock Off is always great to have around. Swords Dance is Swords Dance, and Extreme Speed would be a great STAB priority option.

Does this make Farfetch'd super powerful? HELL NO. But it does make it a decent Pokémon, and one that would actually see play in a legitimate tier.
Ch'Ding needs some love, gosh dang it.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I think there's a bit of confusion here regarding First Impression; it functions like Fake Out minus the flinching and not like U-turn. There's no pivoting action from that move, so I think it cuts down on the new-and-improved Farfetch'd's viability, but the stat boosts are certainly appreciated.