Tracie
Time Zone
CST
Switch FC
SW-8036-7462-5520
IGN
Segana
The Shiny Pokemon Thread

Heyo! I noticed that we didn't have a thread for the general sharing of shiny Pokemon, so I figured that it would be a good idea to make one, that way everyone here has a place to share these elusive Pokemon when they finally manage to catch or obtain one of their own! Feel free to post pictures of the shiny mons you've obtained, as well as discuss your current hunts if you so choose!

What is a Shiny?

Shiny Pokemon are rare Pokemon with a different color pallet than the ones that you normally find! There are a variety of ways to increase your chances of finding a shiny Pokemon, as well; the most notable of which are by completing the Pokedex and achieving the Shiny Charm, and/or via breeding with the Masuda Method, which is accomplished by breeding two Pokemon from different language games.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I've never undertaken a dedicated Shiny-hunting project, but I've encountered my fair share in the wild over the years. I like to give them nicknames based on their altered color palettes! Static encounters such as the Red Gyarados or Benga's Gible/Dratini don't count, of course.

On Diamond:
  • Blue Flare the Ponyta -> Rapidash
  • PurpleRain the Weezing

On Y:
  • MasterBallx3 the Amoonguss
  • WhiteWeasard the Floatzel

On Alpha Sapphire:
  • Evil Eye the Lairon -> Aggron <-> Mega Aggron
  • VeryOldChese the Grimer

On Ultra Sun:
  • Bluesman the Abomasnow

I think there are one or two more somewhere but I can't remember right now, oh well. I know that on Alpha Sapphire I once encountered a Shiny Pelipper while soaring in the sky, but I accidentally fled out of habit before I entirely knew what I was doing :/

Enetelligence

Queen of Your Heart
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Tracie
Time Zone
CST
Switch FC
SW-8036-7462-5520
IGN
Segana
Oh, I love all of them? I love your names for them, tbh!
Sucks about the Pelliper, but that reminds me of the first shiny that I ever encountered. It was a shiny Abra that I found in Platinum. I stared at it for HOURS and then it teleported away.

As for other shinies that I've achieved-- These are all off the top of my head, since I can't be bothered to go dig through all my games rn. This is excluding gifts and the like, as well as shinies that are just given to you in game.

• Shiny Eevee that I bred while looking for a Flareon for an eeveelution team in X
  • Shiny Ratatta that I found in the Safari Zone in SS!
  • Shiny Shellder that I evolved into a Cloyster in Shield! I'm using him in one of my teams :3c
  • Shiny Rookidee that I bred! She's HA and everything, so I definitely plan on using her in a competitive team eventually.
  • The shiny Luvdisc I fished up the other night in X-- I was looking for her because I wanted to give one to my GF.
  • I also have 2 shiny Hopips, a shiny corsola, as well as a shiny relicanth from X!

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Besides the guaranteed shinies, trades, and raid exploits (ty Brian and Bubba), here's what I have.

SoulSilver:
  • Raticate (random)
  • Ponyta (random)
X:
  • Trevenant (random)
Sword:
  • Mimikyu (breeding)
  • Magikarp (raid - idk if it was during the promo period or not)
  • Litwick (sad reacts only - still breeding)

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
I haven’t shiny hatched in a while, so I plan to once I complete the Pokédex in shield. I need shiny dragapult and mimikyu. They’re too perfect

As for shinies I’ve gotten in the past though:

SoulSilver: Lake of Rage Gyrados of course, I named mine PEEWEE and it became a valuable member of my team

White 2:
On my first run a friend traded to me a shiny ditto and a shiny arcanine
On my second run I found a random shiny pidove kind of outside flocessy ranch. Too bad it was female, shiny female unfezant sucks.

X: I hatched a Shiny Charmander, which I evolved to Charizard. I’ve also received a lot of shinies over trade because I was a bit of a smooth talker on miiverse back in the day. From that I got a shiny heracross, gardevoir, ditto, and suicune. and I also got shiny xerneas and yveltal from an event code or something. Also attempted to hatch a shiny pichu, and then gave up because shiny raichu sucks anyways.

ORAS: I got the event shiny beldum, which I evolved and metagross very quickly became my favorite gen 3 pokemon. I also hatched a shiny Ralts

Sun: Randomly encountered a shiny Granbull near the battle tree.

Last edited:

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I've never really shiny hunted before.
I've tried getting into it, but I'm already super impatient trying to.breed the perfect mons (I love you, mints), so I know shiny hunting isn't for me.

I have found a few random shinies.
Black 2:
Dredgrowth the shiny Tangela/Tangrowth. This also made me fall in love with these mons. Dredgrowth was a wonderful member of my team.
HG:
Larvitar. I actually didnt realize the Larvitar was shiny at first. I just wanted one, so I went below Blackthorne and caught the first one I saw. It just so happened to be shiny. I flipped out when I realized it was shiny lol.
US:
Madam Spoops my shiny Gaatly/Haunter/Gengar.
I love Madam Spoops. She was my first encounter in the graveyard, and she became an integral part of my team. She did have a -SpA nature, but I still loved her and got her to level 100 first so I could use a Gold Bottle Cap on her.
I also have a few shinies from the Wormhole. I dont honestly remember most of them, but I got a Floatzel I named Waterwings and a Barbaracle that I gave zero ****s about lol.

Last edited:

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Well I actually shiny hunted a lot, especially in Gen 6 so I won't be listing all of my hunted shinies since that would take to long (have 30+ of them).
So I'll just tell you about the unexpected random shinies I found over the years and I'll be listing them in the order from my first ever shiny to the last random shiny I found so far.

- Shiny Audino in Black 2 was my first ever shiny. I found it while trying to level up my newly evolved Jolteon so I could beat Skyla.

- Shiny Dunsparce in Black 2 was my second shiny and I got it in the same playthrough as the shiny Audino. I found it in the post game of Black 2 on Route 1 while trying to reach the starting town from BW and Juniper's Lab.

- Shiny Graveler in Soul Silver. In the summer of 2013 I decided to replay SS before the Gen 6 comes out and while training for the Clair's Gym on the Route south of Blackthorn City I found a shiny Graveler. I luckily caught it in a Heavy Ball before it used Selfdestruct.

- Shiny Dusclops in Y. I just finished the main story and was exploring a few Friend Safaris by getting a few encounters in each one and the third encounter in the 4th or 5th Safari I checked ended up being a beautiful red Dusclops.

- (FAILED) Shiny Abra in Y. I run into a shiny Abra while going through the Route 5 but it broke out of my Ultra Ball and used Teleport. The worst part is that I had a Masterball at the time but decided to save it for a legendary because I thought that an Ultra Ball will surely be enough to catch a low level Abra. (my only failed shiny so far if we don't count the uncatchable shiny Weedle from the Old Man's catching tutorial from FRLG, that also sucked btw and I still hate that Old Man with a passion)

- Shiny Pikipek in Sun. I just got the Tauros Ride and was exploring the part of Route 1 that was blocked of by the big rocks before and I get into a wild encounter that ended up being a shiny Pikipek. I added it to my team and used it for the rest of the playthrough even though I didn't plan on using a Pikipek line on my team originally.

- Shiny Zubat in Sun. I just finished speed EV training my newly hatched MM shiny Weedle on Alolan Digglets in Seaward Cave and while trying to get back to the exit of the cave I get jumped by a wild encounter that turns out to be a shiny Zubat. (I had a Shiny Charm for this one so better odds but still a random shiny)

- Shiny Gumshoos and Shiny Alolan Raticate in Sun. Got them both while training some Pokemon in Poni Plains. I got Gumshoos first and then about 2 months later I got the Alolan Raticate. (also Shiny Charm odds like the Zubat)

- Shiny Granbull in Ultra Sun. Same story like with the Gumshoos and Raticate but only instead of the Poni Plains I got the Granbull while training in Poni Gauntlet. (also Shiny Charm odds)

- Shiny Wingull in Pearl. I bought Pokemon Pearl about 8 months ago and I was playing through it so I could transfer some of my old Pokemon from Gen 3 to the newest games. So anyways after I got the Surf HM I decided to go back and explore all the places that required me to have Surf first and while going through the Route 220 I ran into a shiny Wingull.

Those are all of my random, non-hunted shines I ever found and hopefully I'll find more in the future, especially in the older games (Gens 2-5) since shinies from those games are extra special to me because of the worse odds.

Last edited:

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
ok so apart from shinies that I got through, uh, lets call them "special methods", I actually have quite a few shinies.

HGSS:

-I found ****ING SHINY PIDGEY: Normally I would be very excited but you know what? THIS WAS THE VERY FIRST ENCOUNTER I HAD IN THE GAME. I **** you not, I started my game, got my starter, went into the grass and the very first thing i found was a pidgey that was shiny. I wanted to quit the game right there. I couldn't catch it since I didn't have pokeballs yet
-Shiny Tentacool: Found this while EV training one day for SpD and was like hey this is cool
-Shiny Graveler (I think it was Graveler?): This mother ****er used self-destruct or explosion when i found it

XY:

Here's when I started to actively go for shinies
-Shiny Eevee: This was my baby. Hatched thru Masuda Method and evolved into a Vaporeon, obviously.
-Shiny Vulpix: Was given to me by a friend, who ironically hatched this on like the first 5 eggs
-Shiny Stunky: Found in the wild while completing my Pokedex. Gave it to my friend for her to keep.
-Shiny Espurr: Hatched through Masuda Method. Friend wanted one really bad, so I hatched one, but it ended up being male even tho she wanted a female lol. But still gave it anyways.
-Shiny Larvitar: Randomly hatched while trying to breed for 5IV. Completely unintentional. But I'll take it.

SWSH:

-Shiny Gmax Hatterene: Given to me for Secret Santa <3
-Shiny Sinistea. This is where I would list my Sinistea, IF I ****ING HAD ONE AFTER LIKE 1K EGGS
-We're not gonna talk about the rest of the shinies that I got lol

Last edited:

Fafrir

Guardian
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Not much of a shiny hunter but here's my humble collection of Pokemon I've encontered:
LG: Shiny Spearow that's a Fearow. However, I messed around with Action Replay and had to delete my Diamond save, RIP Shinerow. :(
White: Shiny Herdier, now a Stoutland sitting in Bank. Hopefully, Lillipup line can be in the next patch for SwSh.
Y: Shiny Trapinch I unintentionally hatched. Shiny Bronzong in Friend Safari. Both I traded away. Did encounter a Shiny Druddigon.
ORAS: Hatched unintentionally: Shiny Mawile, Shiny Honedge, Shiny Sneasel, Shiny Larvesta, Shiny Joltik.
Randomly encountered in hordes: two shiny Shuppet.
SMUSUM: SOS: Shiny Rockruff (hunted for), Shiny Male Salandit (unintentional), Shiny Oricorio (funny story, I was doing the catching challenge trying to get this Oricorio, it gets out, calls for help, spawns a shiny, I'll take it).
Encounters: SHINY GROUDON, Shiny Magnemite.
Breeding (unintentional): Shiny Porygon.

There might be more I'm missing.

Reactions: Zed