Cabin 2
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
:catsmileazurill: The Smilie Suggestion Thread :coolazurill:

Hey everyone! Recently we've had a lot of talk about smilies, and after some discussion we've decided to make this thread so we've got a more structured place to talk about potential new smilies (along with reactions). Feel free to suggest smilies here, but please remember the following guidelines when submitting a suggestion:

• Smilies must be your own creation. We will not plagiarize someone else's work by uploading it onto the forums. Exceptions to this rule may be granted if you have explicit permission for the smilie to be used on our site.
  • Smilies must be Pokemon themed. If it is simply an emoji re-skin, it should be Azurill or Marill themed to fit with our current re-skins.
  • Smilies must be high quality. This is up to staff's discretion, but smilies that do not meet our standard will not be added to the site.
  • Any member should be able to easily understand the meaning of a smilie. Similarly, if a suggestion has a meaning that is similar to an already-existing smilie, it may be denied.
On the topic of reactions, this thread is also for discussing what reactions we currently have on the forums. We are currently using our sprite-based smilies as reactions, but it may also be worth exploring the idea of making emoji-based reactions because sprites have a bit of a hard time displaying. Preferably these emoji re-skins would be based off of Twemoji.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Me when I can't have Vessev be an emote:

I asked the original artist for permission though. We'll see if they get back to me.

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i would like some sort of blushie react!! pls!!!!!

i do think the sprites are not very good for the react format and look very awkward rn. we already messed with that & had a discussion about it on discord but i think the plain flat emojis before looked a lot better since they resize well and go with the "like" button (they are optimized for this sort of thing). as we mentioned in the discord, maybe we can make higher quality azurill/marill emotes a long-term goal, but right now the sprites (while still super cute to use as emotes in posts) just don't look right as reacts.

@Varhii I really think even if someone did give us permission to use their art as emotes, it's not worth the hassle. we have plenty of talented people here on marriland and don't need to take other people's art and have emotes/reacts become a free for all with anything people can find on the internet (and get permission for). to keep them made by members of our community would be more consistent, less strenuous, and very special i think. discord emotes are a different story tho (perhaps that should be saved for another discussion once the actual site emotes/reacts have been more solidly discussed & taken care of, but i think we can have more fun with discord emotes).

i know i have a lot more opinions on this since i kept bugging you on discord bubba sorry, but that's all for now :blushazurill:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
Add :thonkazurill: to the react list?

Typhlosion

The Perfect Ruler
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Given that we already have two "thinking" style emotes on the reaction bar, in my opinion it would be difficult to justify adding another one. Thonk has an effect almost identical to Nanihmm, since they're both meant to convey a kind of memey and/or more intense sort of questioning reaction compared to Hmm.

Typhlosion

The Perfect Ruler
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
That, I think we could look into. You're right that the heart eyes emote doesn't really do justice to every situation.

However, before we get to far into the discussion we have to remember that what you're suggesting, or at least what you've suggested, isn't a Pokemon-based emote. It looks like a basic heart emoji to me, which I'm assuming is not your original artwork and raises the question of implementing other kinds of standard emojis. Would like to hear from @seaturtle on this since he's good with the technical/legal aspects of stuff.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cabin 2
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
That, I think we could look into. You're right that the heart eyes emote doesn't really do justice to every situation.

However, before we get to far into the discussion we have to remember that what you're suggesting, or at least what you've suggested, isn't a Pokemon-based emote. It looks like a basic heart emoji to me, which I'm assuming is not your original artwork and raises the question of implementing other kinds of standard emojis. Would like to hear from @seaturtle on this since he's good with the technical/legal aspects of stuff.
The image in question already exists on the forums as an emoji (❤ - :heart:) and is from Twemoji, which is open source (so no legal issues). Since it's already in use on the forums, there isn't any sort of issue with just putting it as a reaction as well as an emoji.

On the subject of thonk, users have suggested replacing :nanihmmazurill: as a reaction and I think that'd be worth doing.

Last edited:

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i wanna second the suggestion of using a heart react instead of heart eyes in case it was forgotten!! a simple heart would convey my feelings a lot more often than the heart eyes lol

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cabin 2
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I've been waiting to do anything with the reactions to try and see if I could put together more emoji-styled images to use, but that's kinda fallen on the backburner... switching around the names/images that we currently have isn't hard at all though, so instead of waiting I think just making adjustments now would be fine.

How would these look as possible reactions?

Like 👍, Love ❤, Hahah :lolazurill:, Surprised :surprisedazurill:, Sad :sadazurill:, Mad :madazurill:, Hmm :hmmazurill:, Thonk :thonkazurill:

Besides the full smiley changes, I think changing Lol to Hahah might make it a little more clear...? Not really an issue either way heheh, the biggest changes would be replacing heart eyes to love (with a heart) and nanihmm to thonk.

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
no complaints..i really just wanna be able to heart react hehe

~Kilza~

Hurting
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Changing :hearteyesazurill: to ❤ is kinda whatever for me tbh, but I'm totally down with changing :nanihmmazurill: to :thonkazurill:

-Rosen

Cleb
AKA
Cleb
Can we get twitch emotes but in pokemon form

I could use PokeChamp in my life

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
AKA