• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Discussion Things you find difficult to draw

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
What are some things that you find incredibly difficult to draw?

For me
  • Human anatomy is obviously extremely complex, especially hands. HANDS. Like that stuff is a nightmare to draw.
  • When I draw guys they look like girls
  • Industrial landscapes are hard, especially since I have a tough time with perspective
  • Most things non-organic in general are difficult for me
  • Most animals I can do but horses are weirdly difficult
  • The ocean and water in general is really hard to make look good

Fafrir

:]
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
  • Human anatomy is obviously extremely complex, especially hands. HANDS. Like that stuff is a nightmare to draw.
This so much! Hands have this weird shape and when I draw them, they end up looking like something from a horror movie or just off, especially smaller hands.

Another thing I really struggle with for some reason is drawing with third point perspective. One point and two point are fine but my third point drawings just look like they are out of perspective.

I do somewhat struggle with adding backgrounds to my drawings but I think I'm slightly getting better at it despite preferring to draw only the subject.

Finally, I have an extremely hard time drawing vehicles. They all have such a weird shape and it's hard to make them look right.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I have to go with hands. I can never seem to do them right.

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
Hands are annoying, but the hardest thing for me has to be feet and legs. I always draw torsos so I don't have much experience doing anything lower than that, but god. I dont understand how they work at all.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hands and feet high key suck. Not even just drawing them, but lines and creases that are on skin are so frustrating. And yeah, I can't draw guys either. It's hard to figure out the anatomy and proportions for guys.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
My hand shakes when I try to draw anything, but people are especially challenging.

Last edited:

Vulture

that guy, you know
everything
Anatomy sucks, but something that isn't people I always struggled with were trees, for some reason. I just can't move beyond the giant sticks of broccoli version.

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
Along side hands and drawing guys, foreshortening and detailed clothing. Like, I can see the foreshortening but I can't see it at the same time. It either looks great or absolutely sucks. As for detailed clothing, I just get reduced to a mess of dots and lines that are supposed to represent fabric and texture. Ughhh.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Along side hands and drawing guys, foreshortening and detailed clothing. Like, I can see the foreshortening but I can't see it at the same time. It either looks great or absolutely sucks. As for detailed clothing, I just get reduced to a mess of dots and lines that are supposed to represent fabric and texture. Ughhh.
Oh my goodness yes foreshortening is so freaking hard to make look right

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
is it bad that i cant draw/don't care about drawing guys and can only draw chicks

Anyways, anatomy is probably my weakest part overall. I just can't get anything to look right in a sketch. Like, I'll think a head is too big, and then I'll feel like the body is too skinny, etc. Hands are always hard to draw as well. I don't have too much familiarity with animals either.

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I also really struggle with hands and anatomy, but another thing I really suck at drawing is eyes. For some reason they always look weird to me and I end up redrawing them over and over.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
For me, it's animals that aren't human-like in stature, especially cats. For whatever reason, I just can't. :/

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
Another thing I really struggle with for some reason is drawing with third point perspective. One point and two point are fine but my third point drawings just look like they are out of perspective.
my next layout assignment is gonna be in 3-point so hmu and I might be able to offer some help :0
is it bad that i cant draw/don't care about drawing guys and can only draw chicks
honestly same

I feel like I struggle with storytelling in my art. I’ve tried storyboarding comics for myself and I always go back and redo everything because I don’t like how I did it. I feel like a scene would look better another way, or with a different panel layout and I just never finish them because I keep going back and reworking them and eventually just give up.

Also I feel like I have trouble coming up with good, interesting and unique character designs. I feel like they all just look kinda the same...

Also I’m not great at drawing animals because I don’t draw them very often.

To anyone who is interested in improving their anatomy, I highly recommend going to life drawing sessions! They’re really relaxing and you can just drop in and draw models (nude or not, either is helpful!) for a couple of hours. As you go to more sessions, you’ll become more familiar with how the body moves and get a better sense of how to pose characters. I can’t stress enough the importance of life drawing.

Also! drawing things accurately is all about reference. Having trouble with hands? Practice by looking at your other hand and draw it! Don’t know how to draw cats? Look at pictures of cats and break down the shapes that make a cat! Take it from an art student: you can draw anything if you have reference. Practice and reference.

Last edited:

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
So something I noticed recently (but have been doing for a long time) is that I can't draw lips. I always leave the lips to the very end, and it always ends up looking so wrong. I remember on one of my school assignments, I actually forgot to draw the lips once and my teacher was like.. "is that an artistic choice..?" and I was like fgjoifjoijfoiejfodfwe I forgot to draw the lips.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
for me it's arms and the torso, it just always ends up looking so stiff...people are hard to draw in general! also making poses look alive and have a natural flow is something i struggle with ;o;

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Hands and shoes (specifically heels) are the worst for me. I've gotten better but they just kill me, because fingers are hard.