Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
(Used the spoiler tag, just in case.)

Played through the Isle of Armor. Thoughts:

- Reintroduced a lot of liked Pokemon: Starmie :starmie:, Luxray :luxray:, Sandslash :sandslash:, and Skarmory :skarmory:. Appreciates several others as well, even if not as highly regarded :kingdra::wigglytuff::scolipede::zoroark::magnezone:.

- Told more of a story than expected. (Predicted a big Wild Area with a short Kubfu bit and little else. Cleared the low bar fairly well.) Enjoyed Klara as a character. Harkened back to jerk rivals, but with some character progression. Contrasts well against the recent, friendlier rivals.

- Created a nice world to explore. Still felt empty. Admits to not being much of an exploring type of gamer. Blames being too well-established too. Wanted very few of the items on the ground (mostly Porygon evolution stuff). Chucked Quick Balls at everything. Blazed through areas.

Wanted to interact with something unique in each area. Accomplished this with Max Mushrooms (and perhaps the gigantic Wailords), but not much else. Suggests things like big Apricorn tree in the forest, a trainer tournament on Challenge Road or Beach, a Palossand judging contest on the beach, some kind of honey-based event or vendor on Honeycalm Island, and so on.

- Failed to fix the base game's other main flaw: Max Raids. Probably hoped for too much from downloadable content. Feels like a massive problem, however, as one of the few main postgame activities. Why not draw partners from available League Cards? Get better versions with their rare card. How about picking partners? Investing in partners? Rewarding non-attacking moves for some raid Pokemon? Replacing shields with some kind of attacking mechanics for offensive Pokemon? Something. Chose to break Y-Comm instead (presumably unintentionally).

- Welcomed the Restricted Sparring mode. Likes monotypes well enough. Added a little something to the dearth of postgame content.

- Has not had a party Pokemon follow since Pokemon Yellow Diamond's Amity Square. (Never played Heartgold/Soulsilver or Let's Go.) Hardly makes or breaks the downloadable content. Approves of the nice little touches, though.

- Hates the Diglett hunt so bad. Who greenlighted this? May not be a bad concept. Executed it in a frustrating way. Blends in far too well. Example screenshot (from Serebii):
Serebiifieldsofhonor17.jpg

- Why does the Cram-o-matic not have a recipe book for combinations you have tried? Designed it to be far too inscrutable.

- Dislikes the rewards for upgrading the Dojo. 400,000 Watts for cheaper vitamins in bulk? Frowns. Fine. Unlocks absolute trash beyond that. Who cares about a rare league card for 3.28 million watts total?

Overall
Performed okay as downloadable content. Gives players who purchase it standard fare: easier access to good items, faster leveling, new cosmetics, easier Gigantamaxing, and some special moves. Hardly feels essential, however. May not do much there in challenge runs. Opens up some new Pokemon for them. Foresees forgoing the plot there entirely, however. (Cannot easily fit it in, due to level limits.)

Beat out the standard third version, no doubt. Continues to hope for more substantial improvements that affect the base game.

________

How about you? What did you think about the Isle of Armor?

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm really enjoying it - I started by using my old in game team, but their levels were a bit too high, so I ended up breeding and EV training a Starmie along side the Kubfu. Was a lot more fun from there on!

I'm really enjoying the Diglet hunt, think it's been a bit of fresh air and encourages you to explore the area a bit. I do think that Nintendo will get a law suit from a grey parents with kids with bad eyesight: I've had to really stare at that screen to find some of them! I'm up to 122 diglets, so just the last few left.

I think the other thing is that I've not been able to to trade over my old Pokémon - I can breed better ones on this game anyway, so I save my subscription to Home lol. And being able to breed Gigantamax Pokémon is a blessing; already turned my Chlorophyll Venusaur into a Gigantamax :).

I don't know what effect the new 'mons will have on VGC (*cough* Amoongus) but should be fun and freshen up team building for a bit.

I think the only thing I'd change is reduce how often Sharpedo comes after you... That gets annoying, particularly as I taught my Starmie Grass Knot, which is a contact move and procs Rough Skin.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
@Anthrix
Diglett hunt: Forgot to consider something initially: screen size. Plays it on a normal Switch in Tabletop mode. Which mode do you normally play in?

Feels sorry for Switch Lite owners. Drops from a 6.2 inch (157 millimeter) screen to 5.5 (140 millimeter).

Sharpedo attacks: Dodges most of them by moving in a serpentine pattern. (Presumably helps.) Blocks them with raid dens and islands whenever possible too.

VGC: Do you think the new moves will make a splash? Definitely pushed terrain harder. Mentions Expanding Force (Psychic, 80 power special, extra power and damage to all opponents on Psychic Terrain), Rising Voltage (Electric, 70 power special, double power on Electric Terrain), and Grassy Glide (Grass, 70 power physical, priority on Grassy Terrain) in particular. Looks amazing. Perhaps Steel Roller (Steel, 130 power physical, destroys terrain and only works on it) and even Terrain Pulse (Normal, 50 power special. Basically Weather Ball for terrain) too.

...Hold on. Why does Wigglytuff :wigglytuff: get Steel Roller?

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah I play on a switch in handheld mode. There's slight ghosting to it if I move too fast, which makes finding them a a bit hard. I bet I look right weird, riding a bicycle really really slowly while I scan for Diglets...

As for Sharpedos, yeah I generally charge straight at them and turn at the last with a speed boost. Generally works. Still, beating them trains up my Urshifu at least. Thanks to VGC being set at level 50, I really can't be bothered to use XP candies when I don't have to.

I think Expanding Force will be the psychic move of choice, as you'll cause Psychic Terrain in Dynamax. Paired with Indeedee, you'll have a really power psychic Stab.

I think the other ones are OK? Coalossal got a buff with a better special Rock STAB, but I think they buffed old stuff rather than changed the game drastically.

I'd imagine Wigglytuff gets Steel Roller because it gets Rollout.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Positive:
- New Wild Area to explore, and it looks more natural than the old one
- I expected just a Kubfu quest, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was more than that
- Clothes are fire
- Wailord in the overworld
- Bike upgrades
- Restricted Sparring

Neutral:
- Following Pokemon were a nice touch, but they’re SLOW most of the time
- Klara/Avery are highkey annoying, but I appreciate the effort they put into the facial expressions
- Diglett sidequest

Negative:
- SHARPEDO REEEE
- Not compelled to keep playing after finishing the story
- Watt upgrades
- Cram-o-matic

Vaporeon

Breeder
I really haven't delved too much into it, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.