Tournament of Hearts: Pink Pokémon Double Battles!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Last edited:

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
*dislikes and reports for hacking and cheating* I want a rematch! :P

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Yeah, let's just say that the RNG shined on us in these battles. They had certain Pokemon that we were not anticipating when she built the team for us. The third battle was quite the nail-biter. We should not have won that. And we did anyway.

Well, time to see what we're in for up ahead!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
It was a hard-fought win for our opponents, but they beat us fair and square in the end. ggwp!

Moving on, only three battles left in the whole tournament! We're really close! @Pendraflare @Fafrir you're up again, vs @Wren .

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
It's all good. Literally everything went in my favor when I fought Neb and Azuviin so I guess it balances out.

Besides it would be a travesty if a non-couple ended up winning the tournament.

Reactions: SAF

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Wow! And just like that, we've arrived at the championships of our MarriProm tournament event!

@Pendraflare & @Fafrir
vs
@Stralend & @Moxie

And let's not forget about our bronze match fight for third place!

@Wren
vs
@Wheegalure & @Flo

Sorry not sorry for all the pings. Price of success, eh? You all have four days to finish up your last battle, so use as much or as little of that time as you like! Good luck and have fun.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Is it possible for me to battle next weekend? This coming week my city is supposed to have not inches, but feet of snow, which will make it take longer to get to and from work. At best, I expect to get home at 8 PM. I also live on the west coast, which is in a later time zone than most people, and I don't think that would be reasonable for my opponent.

Nick!

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
People of Play Counselor
AKA
Nick
well marriprom is kind of ending soon but flo and i are around decently often so we can probably fit it in in your limited time

Stralend

Dreamer of Faith
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Star; Sara;
Time Zone
GMT + 1
3DS FC
5413-1220-4222
ALRIGHT thanks for the pint :p we’ll be scheduling a battle with 4 different time zones <.< this is going to be fun :D

Good luck to everyone!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Yeah, it was disappointing that's how it had to end. Especially considering with the second time I accidentally uploaded the wrong team, with Slowking instead of Lurantis. x_x That's two prom tournaments in a row (after the casual tournament alongside Bubba last year) where my team makes it to the finals only to get blown out.

But they had the better team in the end and played better, so props to them!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our winners for the 2019 Marriprom Tournament of Hearts! Congratulations to Moxie and Stralend, and many thanks to Bunnie as well! And let's not forget to have a round of applause for our valiant second-place finishers, Pendraflare and Fafrir!

The battling event as a whole isn't quiiiiite over; we still have our bronze match yet to take place. That said, it's not too soon to open up the floor for some post-tournament discussion, I think. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have to share, such as regarding the format, the special rules, or anything else! What did you like or not like? What were some things that went well, or things that could be improved next time?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I had a lot of fun with the doubles aspect of it! I might have been doing a lot of the steering of the battles on my end tho ^^; so something interesting would be randomising partners for each participant. Sounds like a gimmick when I put it like that :thonkazurill:

But yeah besides the tier being pretty unbalanced I had fun overall

Nick!

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
People of Play Counselor
AKA
Nick
I had a couple issues with the format. I am kind of upset that we lost the game deciding match in our set to the eventual tourney winners to losing three attract coin flips in a row. I know we're going for a valentines themed tournament, but I'm sure there was a better option than to make every pokemon carry attract, and add that element of complete randomness to every game. Just as we probably shouldn't have lost our second game to Moxie and Stralend, we had absolutely no business beating Boss and Shhmew in our second game, but we were totally carried by attract RNG. Maybe this adds an element that closes some of the skill gap, but I still think that it was a super unfair addition.

The other issue with the format I had was the pokemon selection. Pink lends itself to a lot of support and stally mons naturally, and I thought the meta was gonna revolve around stalling. It didn't and participants had unique ideas to bypass this, so that's not my problem. However, I felt like the same 9 or so pokemon were used on the majority of teams. Specifically, Mew, Bewear, Slowbro, and Lurantis seemed to be very common, and I think that was because the selection of pokemon was way too small. Something I discussed with Nuuk was potentially adding in red pokemon to fit with the theme and allow for a larger pool of offensively minded pokemon to join, but that would come with a lot of bans. Regardless, I think it would have been good for the health of the tournament.

Oh also, bracket was kind of BS. The lower half of the bracket had the majority of active competitive battlers on the forums, and AT was the only guy on the top half of the bracket who's active in the competitive scene on this forum. A minor nitpick, but especially in single elim, I think seeds should have been reshuffled.

Those misgivings and feeling cheated at the end aside, I had LOADS of fun with this tournament. Labbing things out with Jaden and participating in the matches themselves, even though we were stalling in some of them, was still a lot of fun, and despite a couple kinks this was a GREAT tournament that got so many people who aren't normally competitive involved in the tournament. So, I'd call this tournament a great success overall!

also @Wren when you wanna play lol

ALSO: Finals should always be best of 5

Last edited: