UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin

Intro and Rules
After seeing so many people try Idolockes, I couldn’t help but try one myself. It just looks like fun!

This should be an interesting run. One, because I’m horrible at nuzlockes. Two because my knowledge on idols is limited outside of Zombie Land Saga. And three, because I’ll have to get more creative with my commentary. I hope this run is as fun to read as it was writing it!

Here are the rules! (The creator of this run made a decent list of rules, but I thought I would just rewrite what they said.)
1. Choose a difficulty for the “School Idol Festival” part of the run. I’ll go with Normal difficultly for the songs as I’m new to this game. More on this later.
2. If a Pokémon faints, it’s “off the team.” This rule is the same as a normal nuzlocke.
3. You can only catch the first female Pokémon in the area. If it’s a boy or genderless Pokémon, it cannot be caught. Gotta keep it faithful to the idol anime. Dupes clause (if it’s a Pokémon you’ve already used, you can search for another),legendary clause (legendaries can be caught if they are female and the first encounter), and shiny clause (any shiny can be caught) apply on default.
4. After catching a Pokémon, you have to preform an “audition.” This is done by playing “Love Live: School Idol Festival.” Your rank on a song determines the odds of the audition being successful. “S” rank combos give you and 100% chance of getting the Pokémon while no combo prevents you from using the Pokémon period.
5. All Pokémon must have nicknamed, preferably Japanese ones. Since I don’t know many Japanese names, I’ll use a random name generator.
6. Pokémon must be put in idol groups of three. Basically your first three caught Pokémon make one group and your next three make the second group. When you send out a Pokémon from one group, you can only switch into other Pokemon from that group. Think of it as something similar to pairs in Wedlockes.
7. As long as there are usable Pokémon in the PC or daycare, the challenge is not over. White outs simp
ly result in that group being unusable.
8. The challenge’s rules don’t apply until I get Pokéballs.

With that out of the way, let’s begin the challenge!

Chapter 1: An Amateur's Slip Up

As games I think ORAS are the weakest remakes. With Heart Gold and Soul Silver leaving such high expectations, it would’ve been nearly impossible for these games to be as good as their predecessors. ORAS Improved the music drastically while reducing the difficulty. That’s why I’m glad Challenge runs exist. They can make easy games like this rewarding.

We start with me soft resetting for a female Torchic. I know the rules don’t apply until I get Pokéballs, but by Arceus I’m going to be consistent. Also May is a precious bean that deserves all the happiness in the Pokémon world. She is such a sweet rival.

Thanks to the random name generator, my female Torchic was given the name Chinatsu. Didn’t even know that name existed.

My first female encounter was a Poochyena. This time, the name generator went with Reina. Another pretty name!

Since this is my first encounter, I’ll have to prove Reina's skill on Love Live: School Idol Festival.

The game is really wholesome. I imagine the anime is the same.

The song I chose was “Strawberry Trapper.” Odd name for a song, but it was catchy.

I failed miserably. It was my first full song and I lost all my stamina. I’ll be practicing off screen before I try on another Pokémon.

I’m actually really enjoying this game. More than I thought actually. The gameplay is easy to learn but hard to master.

After this run, I’m totally doing an Elite Beat Agents variation. I’ll post the idea on the rules thread once I finish planning it out.

After some practice, I went to the next route and caught a Wurmple. Her name is Tsubasa!

To improve my chances of getting a good combo, I went to Torikoriko Please!!

Thankfully I got a C! Not a great rank, but it’s a start. Sadly, my poor combo prevented me from having a shot at keeping Tsubasa.
1543431379733.png

So far, all I have is Chinatsu. I guess I’ll just have to practice and get better at the rhythm game.​

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Chapter 2: The Birb

I worked on my Love Live skills! Hopefully they can make capturing Pokémon easier.

I avoided the trainers on Route 103 so I could use them to train someone later.

One unnecessarily long catching tutorial with Wally later, I was able to catch a Tailow! The name generator blessed me with Natsuki. Now let’s see how she does on the audition.

For this audition I did Koini Naritai Aquarium, a song I got a good combo on before.​
1543531835503.png

For once, I actually got a good rank! This one was a B, or a 50% keep rate. The odds were in my favor this time because I got to keep her! Welcome to the team Natsuki, you deserved it.

To train the little bird that could, I went back to Route 101 and fought some Wurmples. After that, I went to Route 103 and trained with the trainers I skipped.

Grinding in general is boring to me, but in Nuzlocke challenges every level counts.

After some training, I went into Petalburg Woods and caught a Cascoon! Her name is Rika.

For Rika’s audition, I returned to Strawberry Trapper. While practicing I got a C combo, so I was hoping I could've gotten the same luck here. Sadly, I got another small combo.​
1543531970706.png

As much as I’m enjoying Love Live, I wish the game focused more on overall performance rather than combos. It’s make getting party members a bit less frustrating.

Team Magma have a good battle theme, but I’ve never found them compelling villains. The improved story in ORAS helps a bit, but not to the point where they’re my favorite team.

As soon as I got the exp share, I turned it off. Don’t want to make the game too easy.

On Route 116 I caught a Whismur named Youko.

Her audition was on Kimino Kokorowa Kagayaiterukai (that was a nightmare to type). I actually got a C on both the score and the combo! Now let’s see whether Youko was accepted or not.​
1543531997206.png

Sadly, she was not. Great try though!

Did some grinding on Route 116. Having Chinatsu know a fighting move through evolving would help a lot with Roxanne.

Speaking of Roxanne, what an easy battle. Three double kicks from Chinatsu and the battle was over. Other than exploiting a common weakness (fighting), there really wasn’t a strategy here.​

Here’s the team so far. Hopefully I can get more members soon.

Natsuki the Tailow: Level 16
Moves: Wing Attack, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

Chinatsu the Combusken: Level 17
Moves: Scratch, Double Kick, Ember, Sand Attack

Last edited:

Eevee

Royale/Taller Lizzy
AKA
Lizzy (Taller); Royale; Raere
Time Zone
EST
Really interesting, didn't know this was a thing tbh. I'm not too big of a fan of anime, but the concept is quite intriguing! Especially since Nuzlockes are already hard as is and then you throw in the Love Live stuff.

Gokudera

4th Dan
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Devin
I know full well I would lose this early on.
I'm terrible at rhythm games lmfao.
but this looks really cool! Will definitely keep an eye on this! Good luck!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Thanks for the responses everyone. I added the poll to see how I could improve this.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Chapter 3: Sivilouse
Author's Note: Due to my screenshot capturing software not working, screenshots from Omega Ruby will no longer be appearing in my log. Hopefully my Love Live screenshots will make up for it.

After receiving orders for the Steven Stone fetchquest, I went to Dewford. While there, I stopped at Granite Cave and caught a Zubat named Reina.

For Reina’s audition, I tried Angelic Angel, a song I’ve gotten A ranks on before. This time, I got a B rank.​

1544127683716.png

With my amazing luck, I couldn’t keep her. I seem to be getting better at Love Live, but I still have a long way to go before I can get Pokemon consistently.

The gym trainers were cake. When your team is as overleveled as mine, that can happen.

It's a real shame. In the originals, Brawly's Pokemon packed quite a punch. Machop had the deadliest karate chops and bulk up made Makuhita an absolute nightmare. Now I can beat him in three turns with wing attack.

Ah Slateport City. I have an interesting little story as to why this song stands out to me so much. When I was 9, I was playing the original Sapphire on my Gameboy Advance while on a car trip. Suddenly, my heart began to rush. I told my Mom, and she stopped the car. Worried we might get hurt, she asked the nearest person to guard the car. He said yes and did just that. While I was waiting, Slateport’s original theme played in the background. It turns out the man was a member of my hometown’s local gang. Despite having such scary connections, he still helped us out. Because of that story, Slateport stands out like a sore thumb to me.

The first Pokémon outside of Slateport was a Gulpin named Hanako. The audition was on Bokura no LIVE Kimi to no LIFE.​

1544127743494.png

This time I was lucky enough to keep Hanako! Welcome to the group Hanako.

Since my first group is finished, it was only fitting to give them a name. There were some other ideas, but I ultimately settled on Sivilouse (pronounced Civilowse). Not the most inspired name, but I think it sounds alright.

Hanako was just a bit weaker from the rest of Sivilouse, so I thought it’d be smart to train her up.

Here's today's team update!

Hanako the the Gulpin: Level 14
1544128149987.png

Moves: Yawn, Poison Gas, Sludge, Amnesia

Natsuki the Tailow: Level 18
1544128184731.png

Moves: Wing Attack, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

Chinatsu the Combusken: Level 18
1544128205789.png

Moves: Scratch, Double Kick, Ember, Sand Attack​

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I’m working on the next update! Should be out within the next few days.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Chapter 4: An Electrifying Gym
On the second floor of the relaxing Oceanic Museum was Captain Stern, the man I needed to deliver ship parts to. Two easy Team Magma fights later, and I was on my way out. Sure I could’ve gotten a cosplay Pikachu, but I’d rather scout out the team myself.

I skipped the majority of the trainers on Route 110 so I could train up future team members later.

I love the update to Mauvile City. They turned it from a generic grassland town into an indoor mall.

Over on Route 111, I found a Zigzagoon. This time the random name generator named her Yasu.

For Yasu’s audition, I tried Arashi no Naka no Koi Dakara. Thanks to some practice, I managed to get an A combo rank and keep Yasu. Hopefully her low stats won’t be an issue.
D889F9FD-58EF-4E62-9CC1-FB7B25C34172.jpeg

Since Yasu is the only member of the second group, I left her in the daycare. That way she can get exp while I’m training up the main group.

Chinatsu really pulled her own on the Wattson fight thanks to the type advantage she has. Five flame wheels and a double kick and the fight was over. Having her be paralyzed from the Magnemite made things a tad harder, but other than that it was a cakewalk.

With another gym finished, let’s see how the main group is doing.

Natsuki the Swellow: Level 23
1F54AE24-7511-4B16-A0B3-34414A900EB1.png

Moves: Aerial Ace, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

Hanako the Gulpin: Level 23
975F1745-225B-4472-8090-77E103300301.png

Moves: Yawn, Poison Gas, Sludge, Amnesia

Chinatsu the Combusken: Level 24
FC88B9CF-8366-411E-8DE0-B0842D78A4EB.png

Rock Smash, Double Kick, Flame Charge, Sand Attack

I have received feedback from the poll, and I know what to do! Expect more detail in the writing from now on.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Chapter 5: Barmin

With our third badge in hand, it is now time to build up my second group of lovely Pokémon idols. My skills at Love Live have improved as well.

Route 112 was fairly straightforward. Just a couple weak trainers and a quick cutscene with May. Being able to see all of Mt. Chimney from the bottom is pretty cool. Shows just how much the better the hardware is in comparison to the GBA.

My first encounter in Mt. Chimney was a Numel named “Sayuri.” I’ve used Camerupts on numerous Hoenn playthroughs and they have all been amazing. They might be slow, but boy do they hit like a truck.

Every time I boot Love Live, one of the characters pronounces “Bushiroad” as “Bushimo.” It’s so minor, yet so jarring.

This time, the audition will be on Paradise Live. Thanks to the easy nature of the song, I was able to get an “A” combo with little trouble.
DAC21066-FCE9-49F9-8597-82E2CB920FC3.png

Lady Luck was not on my side. Despite having a 75% chance of keeping Sayuri, the random number generator still gave it a no. Maybe next time.

Route 112 on the other hand was a pain. Due to dupes clause, I couldn’t catch any of the female Numel. Eventually, a Level 16 Machop by the name of Kazue appeared.

Kazue was given Kitto Seishun ha Kikoeru as her audition. I got a “B” rank combo, which is a first for this song.
2339A50A-E069-4EC7-B235-B8C617AAA35E.png

Her hard work paid off. Kazue passed her audition and is now a part of the second idol group. She’ll be with Yasu in the daycare until I can get a third member.

I was hoping I could avoid an encounter on Route 111 until I could access the desert portion, however a female Geodude appeared from a smashed rock. Her name: Mio.

Moment Ring was the song I chose for Mio even though I never did it before. I guess you could say I was living “on the edge.”
40366821-A956-4C4E-BD92-8388CBF41AFE.png

Not surprisingly, I only got a “C” combo. With my chances so low, it’s no shock that Mio failed. I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

After a brief trip through Mt. Chimney, I reached the Old Lady’s healing house. For some reason, the old lady running the house creeps me out. I think it’s because she always insists on me staying another night. It’s like she never wants her guests to leave.

Bless Route 113. The falling ash, the gorgeous music, the interesting Pokémon, I love everything about this route. Here, I found a lone Spinda by the name of Hana.

This time I tried Kinino Kokorowa Kagayaiterukai. In the past I’ve gotten a B rank combo, which made more inclined to play it. Better to play a song you know you’ll do well on rather than not.
CD953A6C-91F6-4704-A93B-3EC36E70561D.png

The song itself was a little difficult, but doable. I got another B rank combo and managed to keep the ditzy Hana.

Since the second group was complete, I had to give them a name. After some thinking, Barmin seemed the most interesting. (If it isn’t obvious, the group names I’ve been coming up with are gibberish)

Unlike Silviouse, Barmin had very weak, low leveled Pokémon. To compensate, I spent a couple hours grinding them up. As Hana was training up, a Machop took her out in one hit with a karate chop. If I had swapped to Kazue, she’d still be on the team.

Thankfully, there are still plenty of opportunities to find a good final member for Barmin. As long as I’m careful and prudent, there shouldn’t be any more lost team members like Hana.

On Route 114, a small Swablu by the name of Kasumi was found. While Pokémon of her species evolve at level 35, I still thought this would be a great opportunity for a new member to Barmin.

For Kasumi’s audition, I had her do Genki Zenkai Day! Day! Day! It had been been a while since I did this song last, but I figured it would be worth the risk.
47F694C8-ED18-494A-A3D6-B57E510DCD97.png

My run wasn’t amazing, but it was an improvement over last time. I got a C combo. Due to only having a 25% success rate, I could not keep Kasumi.

From now on, the teams will be put into spoilers. This makes scrolling through the posts easier to do.

Hanako the Gulpin
Level: 25
Ability: Sticky Hold
Moves: Yawn, Toxic, Sludge, Amnesia

Natsuki the Swellow
Ability: Guts
Moves: Aerial Ace, Growl, Focus Energy, Quick Attack

Chinatsu
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Rock Smash, Double Kick, Flame Charge, Sand Attack

Yasu the Linoone
Level: 20
Ability: Pickup
Moves: Baby Doll Eyes, Odor Sleuth, Mud Sport, Strength

Kazue the Machop
Level: 21
Ability: Guts
Moves: Karate Chop, Foresight, Revenge, Knock Off

Next time we will be exploring Meteor Falls and fighting Flannery. Should be fun!