Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
With Gen 7 naturally there's a big focus on Ultra Beasts, Ultra Wormholes, Ultra Space, etcetera.
From what I've seen this all ends up being quite polarising but somehow there's no topic that I found for it on the forums yet so I thought I'd ask:

Opinions on the Ultra Beasts? Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Stakataka, Blacephalon and Poipole/Naganadel?
How do you feel about the different points in Ultra Space you can visit in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

I'd start by saying I really like Ultra Beasts. For a series as unique and full of literal alien characters like Pokemon, something just being from far away from earth doesn't really feel all too different. By having these bizarre, genuinely alien-feeling creatures from their own twisted worlds, it really creates something new and unsettling, which I just adore.
If I had to rank the UBs, i'd go:
1) :xurkitree: - I like Xurkitree the most because I feel it exemplifies the most what an Ultra Beast should be. Something recognisably strange, without being too ugly or forgettable. I found it interesting for a while that it wasn't a Grass type considering it plants itself in the ground and every translation of its name has some kind of 'tree' related pun. But this is because in the dimension this thing is from, trees aren't made of wood, they're made, well, like itself. That's just a normal aspect of that alien world. Plus I just thing the way it moves is cute and I love its cry.

2) :buzzwole: - Buzzwole is kind of tied for my favourite but I'd still argue Xurkitree is the better UB. To be the first Mosquito Pokemon I think they did a fantastic job. A Pokemon that gets stronger as it eats others is nothing special, but considering the reason for it is that its 'muscles' get physically bigger because of the blood it drinks? That's a stylish choice. It also communicates by flexing like a bodybuilder and its so bizarre that I can only love it. It also makes good use of its Ultra Space, a Jungle is a fitting place for a Mosquito, but a Jungle where all of the trees are also flexing? Bizarre, fitting, and ever so slightly unsettling. Its Pokedex description also states that despite how dangerous it is, its a normal organism in its own world, which is good flavour for how Ultra Space really works.

3) :nihilego: - Nihilego, the poster UB, excellent for the same reasons as above but rather than just being inspired it has its own advantage of being nightmare fuel. I know its codename is UB01-Symbiont but I don't think any kind of Symbiote would be a Poison type. A terrifying parasitic jellyfish, Nihilego is possibly the most alien looking of all the UBs if only for its lack of any kind of even moderately human features. No real head, arms, legs, or facial features of any kind. Ultra Deep Sea is kind of underwhelming but still pretty strange. Fits well nonetheless!

4) :kartana: - A 1ft tall paper sword that can cut through almost anything, Kartana is a very bizarre looking beastie. First of all, the Ultra Forest that Kartana is from is beyond interesting, probably my favourite Ultra Space. It's a tranquil world where people live in harmony with Kartana. There are actual trainers in this place called Kartenvoys that fight with Kartana, they don't even use Pokeballs! It seems Kartana are typically quite peaceful in their own world. Clearly it's meant to be made of paper, giving it a grass typing, and its sword abilities give it the steel. Its origami inspiration is detailed to the point of making its face one of those paper fortune teller things I never learned how to make in primary school.

5) :stakataka: - Stakataka is a weird one, mainly because its type is so boring and bad. I like Rock and Steel types but together they're 2 defensive types with too many weaknesses to common attacks. On the other hand, having an UB that is made up of hundreds of tiny UBs is an idea I'm glad they explored. Almost reminds me of how the Unown are in the Entei movie. Robotic but still clearly alive. I would love to see what kind of Ultra Space this thing is from. If not for all the bricks being their own being, Stakataka could really be a normal Pokemon though.

6) :pheromosa: - Even though Pheromosa is far from my favourite it definitely reeks of style and inspiration. Surprising as it is that we haven't had a cockroach yet, it's even more of a shock that they made it obsessively cleanly and focused around beauty, considering what cockroaches are known for. Its Ultra Space is a desert too, which can surface a lot of ideas, but I like the idea that some kind of possibly-nuclear war broke out leaving the world barren and infertile with only cockroaches alive, or in this case, Pheromosa. I like how its Ultra Space has Ride Pokemon puzzles too.

7) :guzzlord: - Oh lord he's comin. It's Guzzlord. I wish I could like it more but its colour scheme is pretty bad and I feel like they could've made an eat-everything Pokemon much better than a giant walking mouth with mouth hands to feed its big mouth. Anyway, it's not at the bottom because its type is cool and its Ultra Space is arguably the best. An apocalyptic world where the only things left are Guzzlord, eating everything in sight with no restrictions? It's a terrifying UB and in a way, its awkward design helps it to appear like a genuine monster.

8) :celesteela: - I'll be the first one to admit that Celesteela is very, very ugly. It's mishapen, disproportionate body and two giant floating jet-booster arms accompanied by a pencil neck and tic-tac head make it very unpleasant considering its Thirty Feet Tall and is tied with Primal Groudon for the Heaviest at 2204.4lbs, or 999.9kg. All this being said though, I can't hate it because its origin is probably my favourite of all the UBs. I only know the tale because of Okami but its a Japanese story about a Bamboo Cutter that finds this alien called Kaguya. I won't explain the whole thing but after joining the dots Celesteela made a lot more sense. It's the only UB that's based on a tale about an actual alien too which is cool. Just wish it wasn't so ugly.

9) :blacephalon: - Ah, spooky fire clown. Despite being a ghost type clown inspired alien, Blacephalon is really... not scary, at all. The exploding head thing is cool and all but it's ultimately useless because of the massive recoil damage. One of its Dex entries says that it distracts people with its firework-like head explosion and steals their life force while they're distracted. We've had Pokemon that steal spirit before like Litwick and its candle fueled on the souls of the innocent and Honedge that steals people's life that grab onto its hilt but for Blacephalon it just seems really shoehorned in to make it a Ghost type. How does it steal people's life force? What does it do? Also, by exploding its head, its losing HP, its life force, so why bother if it's counterproductive? I liked this weird clowny dude when he was shown but after thinking about it for a while it's just all slapped together. How on earth did GameFreak manage to make a Rock/Steel pile of bricks interesting and a Ghost/Fire bomb clown boring?

As for :poipole: and :naganadel: I don't really have any opinions. Poipole is really cute and I like it but I never got to use one and have no real interest in Naganadel despite its cool typing. Not bad by any means though!

I've been thinking about UBs a lot lately so I had a lot to say, in the event my opinion or analysis means anything to you then its in the spoiler. Otherwise I won't flood the page with words you don't care about.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
The only UB that I really like is Naganadel, mostly because it is the most animal looking and I like its type combination.

I think that the concept is cool, but most of the UBs look ugly, especially Stakataka and Celesteela, so I can't really like them.

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
I'm actually a huge fan of the weird and alien designs of ultra beasts. At first I was put-off them, but I've come to like them a lot. My favourite designs are ones like Stakataka :stakataka: and Celesteela :celesteela:. This is all purely from a design perspective; I've never actually used any ultra beast in battle I must admit.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I'd say I wish they did more with the UBs than they did in the story, but I'm actually kinda still in the middle of Ultra Moon so for all I know they could have.

I like a few of the designs, some of them are kinda weird though, especially Kartana. Swords, man.

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
Switch FC
6736-1504-8698
IGN
Anne
I do like the Ultra Beasts because of how alien they look even compared to other Pokemon. I think the designers did a good job of making them look like they came from another dimension. My favorite UBs are Nihilego, Guzzlord, and Poipole.

Ultra Space is alright. It is nice to catch some legendaries and have a higher chance of finding a shiny, but there isn't much else to it. A portion of the aftergame truly exploring Ultra Space with more story to it would have made it feel more expansive rather than just a small area.

Last edited:

Scherzo

too lazy to change my title
AKA
Colin
Time Zone
CST
I don't exactly have many opinions on UB's. However, I love the Poipole line. I'm considering shiny hunting for a Poipole myself once other shiny hunts are over. I'm not the biggest fans of making some ultra beasts version exclusives, as it was extremely tough to get my hands on a Stakataka which I only needed for the dex. I couldn't see it on the GTS because it was never registered as seen, so I'm so thankful that a Reddit user was able to trade me one. Am thankful of the gracious amount of cash money they give the SM player after the mission though. :)

I don't have much of an opinion on Ultra Space either. I like the idea of going through different dimensions to catch different Pokemon and UB's, but it becomes annoying whenever you enter the wrong wormhole. I never know which legendary I'm going to enter a battle with either, so I just end up bringing three to four synchronizers on my team so I can have a proper nature.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
ultra beasts are a rly cool concept but i dont personally like most of them... they are just too bizarro and creepy and i know that's the entire point (i do respect their existence) but it just doesn't appeal to me!!!

my favorite is poipole / ub sticky if you count him because he is a registered Q-T-PIE!! If he doesn't count my favorite is space jellyfish. It's so interesting and yet still pretty adorable somehow and its shiny is top tier.

Least favorite is celesteela, in fact she might be my least favorite pokemon ever. she creeps me out so bad, man. she is literally what my nightmares are made of. ; ;

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
At first, I was hoping the UBs would merely act like boss characters and I was a bit disappointed they are treated as Pokémon. Ah well, I like the UBs' designs enough to catch and train them; Naganadel is easily my favourite just because I love its otherworldly appearance and who doesn't love a dragon wasp? Kartana's a second favourite because it's an origami paper sword and I love the facelessness. Also, this concept art just adds more personality:

Also, Ultra Space was hot garbage. I liked the concept but it was poorly executed; the Ultra Worlds aren't explorable, the legendaries are in generic locations, there's a guy who can change your controls in Heahea City so you're forced to use motion controls unless you know where that location is instead of an option to toggle it before entering, and it's basically just RNG so if there's a specific Pokémon you want then have fun going through the Warp Ride a few times until you get it.