Under-appreciated Pokemon you really like

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So obviously you have all those Pokemon out there that tend to be massive fan favorites, the ones that get Mega Evolutions and everyone raves about. I mean, you're probably quite used to seeing a lot of stuff in the same playthroughs - Garchomp in Platinum, Ampharos and the red Gyarados in HGSS, Lucario in B2W2 and XY (and Talonflame in the latter for that matter), Alolan Raichu to an extent in SM, etcetera. But what are Pokemon that you feel like don't get enough love, and enjoy getting the chance to use in-game even if not many people do? Are there any particularly good experiences that you've had with them? With 800+ Pokemon to use, there are some that you won't like, but some you'll try to give a chance and get at least some use out of. This is one of the things that Nuzlockes try to get you to do, for one.

So yeah, any Pokemon you have that you'd be up for mentioning in this regard? Discuss!

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I'm kind of a big fan of :zorua: Zorua, although I don't think it is underappreciated. However, I know middle stage evolutions are overlooked often and I love the design of :wartortle: Wartortle. Kind of love its design even more than Blastoise. And if you really really want to know if I love any "underappreciated mons," I think I have a literal top 100 list somewhere XD.

Edit: Here is mine which I only included final evolutions.

Last edited:

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
Rampardos is one of my favorite Pokemon. I haven't heard anyone about being a fan of it and I think that it's a pretty cool Pokemon in its own ways. It's also my 2nd favorite fossil Pokemon and Cranidos is adorable.

Other than Rampardos, I'm fond of many underappreciated Pokemon actually. I like Kommo-o, Dragalge, Aerodactyl, Heliolisk, Archeops, Luxray, Manectric, Pyrorar, Scolipede and Drapion for example. There are lots of others too, but those are the ones that I like the best lol.

Cynical Toast

gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Sawsbuck doesn't get enough credit for being a really strong in-game attacker. Just having both Horn Leech and Jump Kick at a reasonable level makes it great, and STAB Return doesn't hurt it. It also has the cool season gimmick so yeah

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
It's not that great in-game but I really like Swellow. Guts + Toxic Orb + Facade = death, and it turns out that if you use things that are designated RU in OU a good number of your opponents will have no idea what you're doing until it's too late.

The same goes for Galvantula, except for the difference where Galvantula is also good in-game. I used one once a few years ago, I want to do it again sometime.

Honorary mention to Arcanine, who everybody already knows is good but I still have a hard time not using in games that contain it.

Sawsbuck doesn't get enough credit for being a really strong in-game attacker. Just having both Horn Leech and Jump Kick at a reasonable level makes it great, and STAB Return doesn't hurt it. It also has the cool season gimmick so yeah
I used one once not exepcting it to be useful for much, but it was really quite good. Turns out 100 attack plus the moves you mentioned hit a lot of things pretty hard.

Reactions: Zed

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
purugly
brionne
nidorina
vibrava
gloom
piloswine
spewpa
larvesta
mothim
masquerain
girafarig
duosion
corsola
swalot
carbink
chimecho
mega lopunny
shelgon
braixen
...too many to name, really

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Using less popular and under-appreciated Pokemon is one of my favorite things to do in playthroughs, I'll list some of my favorites and games I used them in.

• Dusclops (Alpha Sapphire)
  • Crustle (White, Black 2)
  • Seaking (Alpha Sapphire)
  • Granbull (Y)
  • Dustox (Alpha Sapphire)
  • Swoobat (White 2)
  • Stunfisk (Y)
  • Leavanny (Black)
  • Mismagius (Pearl)
  • Claydol (Sapphire)
  • Jynx (VC Gold)
  • Hypno (VC Yellow)
  • Druddigon (White 2)
  • Bouffalant (White 2)
  • Quagsire (VC Gold)
  • Furret (VC Crystal)
  • Noctowl (Soul Silver and VC Gold)
  • Passimian (Sun)
Some of the awesome moments that I remember are: Seaking being super lucky with Horn Drill and taking down 3 of the Stevens Pokemon, Dustox being amazing with Quiver Dance in many important battles, Crustle being super fun to use thanks to Shell Smash and even the Rock Wrecker, Swoobat being extremely useful in battle despite being known as one of the weakest Unova Pokemon, Bouffalant's Head Charge is pure fun, Jynx is a beast with Lovely Kiss and Ice/Psychic STAB. And of course the MVP of my first and only completed Nuzlocke is the one and only Furret from my Crystal Wedlocke, she was my first capture and she made it to the end and beat Red. That Furret's Rollout was the only reason I didn't lose to Morty when my starter died. Rollout is unstoppable if you get it going and priority in Quick Attack came in clutch a few times as well.

It's sad to think that a lot of these amazing Pokemon won't make it onto the Switch. :(

Last edited:

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Hmmm. Probably Cloyster and the Nidoran Female line? I see people say Nidoking is good, but I like the female line's ability and some of their moves. And Cloyster is very elegant. Hadn't considered using one the last time I played, but I'd try next time. And the Crobat line has also grown on me, so that one too.

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
I love Magmortar, Sigilyph, Throh, Simisear, And Jumpluff is pretty rad, too!

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Durant. It's just awesome in every way. (Coincidentally my love of Durant made me dislike Heatmor.)

Special mentions go to Carbink, Larvesta, Butterfree, & Porygon.

Reactions: Zed

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
pansear and Simisear. I know they aren't very good, but I love them all the same. Only elemental monkey (I like all three elemental monkeys.) to get a bad rap as far as I'm aware and I've used it briefly almost every time I've gone through Gen 5. I want to eventually use it throughout an entire playthrough, but there are other fire types that can and will do its job better.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ledian and Malamar come immediately to mind. Weirdly enough I first experienced using both of them during Gen VII. When I played Moon casually I hadn't planned to pick up Ledyba, but on the first route I ran into this Pokemon that was from my favorite region and had one of my favorite types, and I couldn't not use it. I definitely had to baby it, but Ledyba comes pretty early with some nice tech options like Swift, Mach Punch, and dual screens. When it became a Ledian and finally picked up Air Slash and Bug Buzz it could hold its own pretty well. I kept that precious thing on my team all the way until I caught Lunala.

Inkay is in a similar boat. You can find it quite early on in Ultra Sun. At that point I hadn't decided which Pokemon to use; Inkay was cute and unfamiliar to me so I gave it a shot. It too provided some nice Reflect support for my team, and it gets Foul Play ridiculously early, which made some fights easier than they really ought to have been. Eventually it got rotated out of my team just a level or two shy of evolving, but I never regretted using it at all.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Chikorita. Nuff said. If I had a nickel for everytime someone says mean things about that Pokemon, I would be stupidly rich.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I thrive from underrated Pokemon so I will simply make a list!
-Probopass
-Dusclops and Dusknoir
-Zangoose and Seviper
-Heatmor (A recent development)
-Beedrill
-Alolan Rattata (but not Raticate)
-Arbok
-Venomoth
-Tentacruel
-Natu and Xatu
-Sudowoodo
-Exploud
-Medicham
-Trapinch (but not its evolutions)
-Cradily!
-Relicanth
-Mime Jr. (NOT MR. MIME)
-Crustle
-Cryogonal
-Bouffalant
-Chesnaught
-Clawitzer
-Heliolisk
-Avalugg
-Vikavolt
-Wishiwashi
-Araquanid
-Pyukumuku
-Dhelmise

And I look forward to what Gen 8 brings us too!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I'm really not sure why Dhelmise isn't that popular (aside from the fact it's hard to find). It has a cool origin, STAB for three types, decent stats, and a nice shiny.

QCat18

Junior Trainer
Malamar! I love Contrary Superpower. From the first time I caught and evolved and inkay, malamar was one of my favorites. It's evolution (in my opinion) is fun, and interesting as well.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I'm really not sure why Dhelmise isn't that popular (aside from the fact it's hard to find). It has a cool origin, STAB for three types, decent stats, and a nice shiny.
He's always the anchor of my team.

Wolf

The Sun God
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST
I love alot of underappreciated pokemon but I feel my husbands list fits better here
-spewpa
-zubat
- koffing
(Not their evolutions, he loves these specific mons)

Last edited:

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Chikorita. Nuff said. If I had a nickel for everytime someone says mean things about that Pokemon, I would be stupidly rich.
I also agree with Chikorita, and subsequently Bayleef. I love Bayleef's design so much and I wish it had more love. I also never see any love for Unfezant, who I think is a pretty neat bird Pokémon with an interesting design and pretty good stats compared to other bird Pokémon.

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
Miltank: tanky damagey and has Scrappy

Armaldo: Bug Rick is a pretty good combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb