Unpopular Pokémon Opinions!

Amethyst

Junior Trainer
Hey, all! So, one thing that all fans have is Opinions (capital O very much intentional,) and our opinions are not always the same. Sometimes, even, our opinions differ wildly from the rest of the fandom. What I want in this thread is a safe place - no flaming, telling people they’re wrong, etc. - for people to share some of their opinions of Pokémon, the games, or the like that... differ from the majority of the fandom, shall we say. Who knows? Maybe someone will agree with you when you say Charizard is overrated.

To start, I will mention my thoughts on the Kalos starters. Specifically, my love for Delphox, and the fact that Greninja is my least favorite of the three. I actually like Delphox’s concept and design, and its typing is really cool and unusual. I don’t dislike Greninja, per se, but I think it is trying too hard to be cool, and I’ve never gotten over the tongue scarf thing. A weird point to get stuck on in this franchise, I know, but still.

Anyway, what about you? I would love to hear what your unpopular opinions are!

Siddhar

Yoom...Tah!
AKA
Sid
Time Zone
IST
Specifically, my love for Delphox, and the fact that Greninja is my least favorite of the three. I actually like Delphox’s concept and design, and its typing is really cool and unusual.
This. I too prefer Delphox over the other starters, and yes, I share the same opinions as you do on Greninja XD.
Another unpopular opinion of mine is that Pokemon should have stuck to 2D instead of coming to 3D. I think what they did with Unova was magnificent, and for the Switch, they could've come up with a style similar to Octopath Traveler had they stuck to 2D. Some pokemon just look bizarre in 3D, Haxorus being one example. The 2D sprite looks more intimidating instead of looking like a balloon in a circus that 3D Haxorus is :cheekyazurill:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Here's one. Pokeshipping is one of my least favorite Ash x female traveling companion ships. Not as bad as NegaiShipping, but I would rank Advance, Pearl, and Amourshipping higher.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
-Lucario is horrible.
-Pokémon doesn't need to be turned into an action RPG, it can stick with the same formula similar to how Dragon Quest is.
-Barbaracle has one of the coolest Pokémon designs.
-Alcremie is just as interesting as a design as watching paint dry. Boring.
-I agree Pokémon should have never been 3D, games are just unpolished.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
u know what, trubbish is cute

idk if this is unpopular but for pokespe, mato's art >>> satoshi yamamoto's. sorry dude

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Gen 1 isn’t nearly as bad as lot of people say it is these days. On my casual playthrough I could care less that Focus Energy is broken, that move sucks anyways.

Incineroar should have been a fire-fighting type, Emboar can be the dark tyope.

Yugioh is better

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I guess my unpopular opinion is that it's never been easier to get into cmpetitive Pokémon. You've got the Switch Ranked ladder, the fact you can check IVs without needing a calculator, the fact it wants to give you 31 IV Pokémon in raid battles, people surprise trade 31 IV Pokémon that you can use to breed with, there's no legendaries (other than Silvally?) that you can use on said ladder and if something's not perfect, you have mints, Ability Capsules and Hyper Training to make it perfect. Don't need to hack things anymore.

(They also got rid of Hidden Power, which is awesome too!)

I guess that my other unpopular opinion is that I don't like the anime. Watched it as a kid up to Orange Islands, then got disappointed that I couldn't go to the orange islands in game. I preferred Digimon.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Gens 3 and below are borderline unplayable because of the way physical/special moves are split. The system was just so bad for Pokemon that were built one way and couldn't perform (cough Hitmons and their elemental moves).

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Bonus points for you all who came up with something you like that most people hate, that's universally harder than hating stuff that most people like. On that note:

- I still miss the weather wars that defined the Gen 5 metagame. As a game designer I don't think it would have been good for the game to stay that way forever so it's probably a good thing that weather got nerfed. (I still remember my jaw hitting the floor the first time I played X and the hail summoned by Wulfric's Abomasnow expired of its own accord.) I still had fun leveraging the sun to pull off absurd combos with the weather-related Abilities. RIP my Leafeon who ate Ubers for breakfast.

- It's not going to happen, but I want to see remakes of Gen 6 before Gen 4. Diamond and Pearl at least got a second chance at life via Platinum, and even Platinum probably wasn't perfect, but X and Y never got anything at all.

- The nebulous nature of Pokémon lore is what makes it interesting. This goes for a lot of video games, Legend of Zelda et al, but the fact that a lot of the backstory like "what are the legendary doggos" and "who even was AZ" stops at ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is what keeps people like us talking about it for days and months and years and, for some of you, decades. If they canonized Suicune Entei an Raikou's relationship with the original three Eevees, one way or the other, a lot of people would probably be pretty mad. (This is the pokémon fandom.)

- Okay fine I'll throw in one I can't stand, although I don't think this is unpopular: enough with the legendaries. In the beginning it was "strong unique encounter in the cave," and then the power kept creeping in until dialga, palkia and giratina turned out to be Life, the Universe and Everything. This is kind of a subset of the larger problem of the stories growing in absurdity from "save us from the mafia!" to "save us from the destruction of the fabric of spacetime!" which is another complaint I like to air. I especially appreciated that Gen 5 dialed it back down to a more human problem because I thought it felt way more believable - and to an extent, relatable.

- The best part of the Johto story is locked behind time-exclusive events; it's a shame more people didn't get to see them in-game for themselves.

- The National Dex should have been culled at least a generation or two ago. Yeah, I said it. I'm a game designer. For one, quality over quantity and I don't envy the people whose job it was to balance eight-hundred-something monsters; for two, if they did it in 2013 people would be used to the idea and the entire Internet wouldn't have imploded last summer.

- Conversely, it's important to have the "bad" Pokémon like Spearow and Dustox and stuff in the pokédex because, among other things, they make the all-stars shine more by comparison. (If everybody is special, then nobody is.) They also serve to fill in the world around you: the random guy at the hot dog stand has a Simisear and is happy to challenge you, but they're not a hardcore trainer and you can tell because they have a Simisear and not literally anything that isn't a Simisear. I enjoy fan games and ROM hacks but this is something they screw up constantly.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that it's never been easier to get into cmpetitive Pokémon. You've got the Switch Ranked ladder, the fact you can check IVs without needing a calculator, the fact it wants to give you 31 IV Pokémon in raid battles, people surprise trade 31 IV Pokémon that you can use to breed with, there's no legendaries (other than Silvally?) that you can use on said ladder and if something's not perfect, you have mints, Ability Capsules and Hyper Training to make it perfect. Don't need to hack things anymore.

(They also got rid of Hidden Power, which is awesome too!)
Every generation this one particular hot take of mine gets more and more outdated, for exactly the reasons you listed, but anyway: hacking is objectively better than level grinding when it comes to competitive. At the end of the day it's a video game, and I shouldn't have to ride back and forth in front of the daycare for days on end just for the sake of having the playing field be level. I've spent hundreds of hours in competitive battles, but thousands and thousands of hours training. Do (did) I like competitive level Pokémon? Hell yeah. Did I really want to spend 10-20 hours - probably more in the older gens - breeding, EVing and training a monster every time I thought of an experimental set that could be interesting? Not really. If I could go back to 2010 would I grind it out all over again? Probably not, because it turns out there are things I like doing that don't mean doing the same repetitive task for hours on end.

Shoddy and Showdown are godsends for people who want to play a game without sinking an embarrassing amount of time into the game, although some of the people who you run into on the Showdown ladder leave a bit to be desired.

(I don't know exactly what competitive training looks like now, but people say it keeps getting better - I stopped doing competitive after Gen 6, mostly because it was a massive time sink.)

Singleplayer is a game about going on adventures with the stuff you find in the tall grass and under the rocks on the beach; competitive is a much more intense strategy game with a very different audience. Unpredictable factors like natures and IVs mean singleplayer can have more variety, but from the perspective of the marketing, the fan base, and the strategy itself, it might as well (and would probably benefit from) being a separate game. Does that count another unpopular opinion? Is that even unpopular? I've never actually asked anybody what they thought about that one.

-----------------------------
God, I talk too much.

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Every generation this one particular hot take of mine gets more and more outdated, for exactly the reasons you listed, but anyway: hacking is objectively better than level grinding when it comes to competitive. At the end of the day it's a video game, and I shouldn't have to ride back and forth in front of the daycare for days on end just for the sake of having the playing field be level. I've spent hundreds of hours in competitive battles, but thousands and thousands of hours training. Do (did) I like competitive level Pokémon? Hell yeah. Did I really want to spend 10-20 hours - probably more in the older gens - breeding, EVing and training a monster every time I thought of an experimental set that could be interesting? Not really. If I could go back to 2010 would I grind it out all over again? Probably not, because it turns out there are things I like doing that don't mean doing the same repetitive task for hours on end.
I spent probably 3 days, or about 7 hours, breeding an entire team. Could have done it in less if I wasn't fussy about 0 attack IVs on special attackers for the rare time I'm going to be confused and hurt itself in confusion. Train them up in the league tournament thing, and get to lvl 100 with exp Candies or rare Candies to hyper train the imperfect stats.

I just wish I wasn't being sent obviously hacked 'mons all the time in Surprise Trades, to advertise a Pokégen service that they do for real money. It's seriously bad and I hope Game Freak block Web addresses as nicknames in a kid's game. You don't know what they are linking to.

That's awesome you remember Shoddy Battle though, probably the best simulator during the golden era of competitive battling. It wasn't that it was a great meta or anything, but there was so many people playing all the time.