Nuzlocke Monotype Upping the ANTe: Emerald Bug Monolocke

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
Hi, I’m Sly and I’m ready to get intimate with the Wurple evolution line and the 10 other bug types in Emerald. Should be very challenging!

Rules:
  1. Bugs only
  2. I get the first bug in each new area as per nuzlocke rules. (Dupe Clause active for routes that don’t have wurmple)
  3. If a bug gets squashed, it gets flushed.
  4. I’ll be using each area of the safari zone as a new area should I make it that far.
  5. HM slave because bugs can’t learn anything.
  6. Edited in: If my team dies I’m just gonna do this as a true Monotype, so you still get to see my struggle!
That’s it! Leggo.

Last edited:

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
I skipped some of the boring start and leveled up some bois. As I've been playing and thinking, this is only very loosely a nuzlocke in that if it dies it dies and I only get one chance to catch a bug per route. Other than that, the dupe clause makes it where I hardly struggle. I guess that's just how it is being a bug catcher in Hoenn..

I didn’t come up with a naming theme so the ******s all have some pretty unique names.

Since I'm playing on DS, I'm not gonna struggle to take pictures unless it's at a gym or something like that. That said, here is the team as we head into the Petalburg Woods:

Steve - Beautifly (Bug/Flying) - Level 10
Ability - Swarm | Nature - Quiet | Route 101
Moves: Tackle, String Shot, Poison String, Absorb
Stats: (HP, ATT, DEF, SPATT, SPDEF, SPE) 32, 19, 16, 28, 15, 18

Steve will hopefully carry me through Roxanne with absorb. One rock type hit and he's probably donezo though.

Fred - Dustox (Bug/Poison) - Level 10
Ability - Shield Dust | Nature - Serious | Route 102
Moves: Tackle, String Shot, Poison Sting, Confusion
Stats: 34, 18, 22, 18, 23, 21

Fred is lookin' like he might be my uhh.. "tank" , at least relative to the other two. If he survives the trials I think he will be strong til the end.

Denise - Wurmple (Bug) - Level 4
Ablity - Shield Dust | Nature - Jolly | Route 104
Moves: Tackle, String Shot
Stats: 18, 8, 8, 6, 7, 6

I hope this isn't another beautifly.

Going up through to Rustboro shouldn't be difficult unless i get unlucky during trainer fights. First thing to do is go to Route 116 and get Nincada, as he is the only bug type on that route. Then I get the old 2 for 1, which will be pretty nice. This is winnable though.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Cool idea for a run. It will be interesting to see how the early game bugs fair later on in the game.

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
So first let’s do the bad news...
  • My dumb self didn’t get a Pokémon in Petalburg Woods. Not that another Wurple evo would really carry me, but it will limit my party number heavily.
  • I fought Roxanne with fair leveling.(Denise, Fred, and Steve @14 and Shelley @11)
Gym fight!
Well the geodudes got geodead with a single absorb each from Steve. I then switched to Denise for Nosepass. Forgot about Block. Denise got butt-blasted. Put in Steve hoping that absorb would do anything. It tickled the foe and Steve got OHKO’d. The.ln Shelley took charge. After a long long LONG long fight due to harden and sandattack spam, she came out on top. Fred saw no battle.

So the run lives, although very difficult. On the bright side, Shelley is 2 Pokémon soon!

Shelley :nincada: | Level 12
Scratch | Sand-Attack | Leech Life | Cut
31/19/28/15/15/17

Fred :dustox: | Level 14
Gust | Poison Sting | String shot | Confusion
43/23/29/23/31/27

Steve :beautifly: | Level 15 | Roxanne’s Nosepass

Denise :dustox: | Level 14 | Roxanne’s Nosepass

A few more thoughts: I chose Treeko, so May has fire starter which is gonna be extra fun. I also forgot that I get Illumise and/or Volbeat! So I do get more bugs soonish!

Thanks for tuning in to the impossible super easy and very doable bug monolocke!

Last edited:

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
Wowowowowowow it’s hard to find time to play as a lifer. Anyways, here goes.

I know y’all are probably curious how my rival battle went.... I skipped that ****. I’m not an idiot. Went on down chopping all the trees with Shelley and grabbing free items. Passing through that one place where I forgot to grab a Pokémon 🧂🧂🧂

Plan A was to level up Shelley to get Shedinja and just cheese my way through. I got bored of that and got her to 18 and Fred to 20. Then I realized that Fred had Gust and Confusion. Fred ended that man’s career, literally the easiest fight I can remember having in a gym. After that, I threw flash on Denise (who is dead, but I’m not about to waste a space on flash.) and delivered the letter to Steven.

:dustox: Fred@none | Level 20
Moves: Gust, Protect, Moonlight, Confusion
Stats: 59,32,39,31,43,38

:nincada: Shelley@Silk Scarf | Level 18
Moves: Fury Swipes, Sand-Attack, Leech Life, Cut
Stats: 43,26,40,21,21,25

:dustox: Denise (also partial HM slave)
:beautifly: Steve
Maybe I’ll be able to Shedinja cheese through Watson. If he can’t hit I’ll rpobably go for it. Thanks for keeping up 👌🏻

Last edited:

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
May ****ed me. Bug monotypes aren’t meant for this version. I’ll do something else soon :tentacruel: