• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Video Game OSTs

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
Lets talk video game music, since there’s a VGM tourney thread.

What do you like most in a video game soundtrack? Are there any in particular that stick out as being really unique among other tracks?

Mine would definitely have to be the Nier and Nier Automata soundtracks. I love the combination of Okabe and Emi Evans that just tell everything and sometimes make you feel emotions without knowing what the lyrics are.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
hey fella why don't you vote in that thread haha yes 8J everyone invited

Also I agree I love Nier and Automata's ost with a passion. I would basically binge it all the time throughout 2017. I think portraying feelings with a made up language is kind of beautiful cuz it transcends the barrier of understanding words and just feeling them.

Kaine Salvation and Song of the Ancients are two standouts in particular

Nuuk

lilfella
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Creative Soul
AKA
lizzy
really any sonic ost is usually amazing.

say what you want about segas games, they put out some bomb ass tunes to go with them.

my fave is sonic CD. both jp/us versions are good.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Ace Attorney Investigations 2, Persona 5, and Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 come to mind when I think of favorite game soundtracks. The compositions are solid, the instrumental variety is excellent, and the osts are just catchy in general. Can’t make up my mind on which of the three is my favorite in terms of music.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I been listening to the Persona 3 and Persona 5 OST a lot lately. It's addicting. Also could he considered my favorites now since I don't really listen to a lot of video game OSTs.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
My favorite OST for a video game is easily Skies of Arcadia. I love every track that's in there, for me it's just pure bliss listening to it.

I will say that, in general, the video game song showdown showed that I have an affinity for video game songs that I find are calming or relaxing. Definitely some good ones out there, with my favorite probably being Clock Towers Beneath the Sea from Hat in Time.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
The Persona 4 soundtrack is infectious. Especially “Shadow World,” “Heartbeat Heartbreak,” and “Time to Make History.”

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I feel obligated to spread the word about the Spyro soundtracks. They got the drummer for the police to do the music for the first 4 games, and man was it some good ****. These soundtracks don't get enough credit imo.

Samples: One | Two | Three

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
Yeah I listen to the nier automata soundtrack a lot while I’m working. It’s just so good.

I also really love the music from legend of Zelda and octopath traveler.

This might be nostalgia but the 4 heroes of light soundtrack is great.

Some of my other faves are Ori and the Blind forest, the bravely series, and secret of mana/sword of mana.

Viridi and Alto’s adventure have really nice relaxing music.

Bound’s ost is haunting but I honestly like it a lot.

Master Magics Five

「ハイウェイ・スター」
AKA
Efflore, BloodClaw
Time Zone
EST (UTC -5:00)
Switch FC
SW-4046-4239-6610
OneShot and Risk of Rain have beautiful soundtracks, and Risk of Rain 2 is coming out this month with the same composer. finna be the ****

Alula (OS) | Dew Point (RoR)

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I'm completely out of the loop with actual human music and OST is all I listen to.
I love Persona 3/4/5's, most Pokemon titles', Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Awakening, Iconoclasts, and LoZ Twilight Princess.
Octopath Traveler has music so beautiful it makes me want to CRY; Battle at Journey's End gives me tingles.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Alright I'm just gonna do a short list of some of my favorite game music.

Beautiful Dead (Danganronpa: THH)

Debate Scrum (Danganronpa V3)

Smiles and Tears (Earthbound)

Pollyanna: I Believe in You (Mother)

Flying Battery Zone, Act 2 (Sonic 3)

Keys The Ruin (Sonic Adventure 2)

Supporting Me (Sonic Advenure 2)

Every Pursuit Theme (Ace Attorney Series [Though if I had to pick Cornered and Great Turnabout specifically])

Apollo's Theme (Ace Attorney Series)

Gnorc Cove (Spyro 1)

Robotica Farms (Spyro 2)

Evening Lake (Spyro 3)

Metropolis (Ratchet & Clank [The original, not the generic remake track])

Last Day (Majora's Mask)

Giant's Theme (Majora's Mask)

Ending (Super Metroid)

Sector 4 Underwater (Metroid Fusion)

Rocket Jump Waltz (Team Fortress 2)

Still Alive (Portal)

Want You Gone (Portal 2)

Okay I lied about the short part. I could probably keep going but I'm not really up to it. expect a part 2 soon

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Most of the music from the Persona series (Not a fan of 3's music, aside from When the Moon Reaches for the Stars) Favourites being Reach Out To The Truth, Your Affection, Last Surprise, Blooming Villian, Dream of Butterfly, & Pull the Trigger.

Pokemon Conquest's soundtrack is awesome. Faves from that being the grass kingdom's battle theme, the first random encounter theme, and one of the world map themes, can't remeber which chapters it plays in now though.

Also Final Fantasy IX's OST. You're Not Alone, The Place I'll Return To Someday, Vamo' Alla Flamenco, Rustling Forest, Battle 1, and way too many others.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest is pretty good too. Dusk Falls, Dance in the Dark, You of the Dark, End of All (Land), Road Taken, Justice RIP, etc.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
undertale's soundtrack has me some kinda smitten. also i am very deeply in love with pokemon music.

nier: automata is on another level tho. probably others that im forgetting.

Tetsuya Gengar

iTranquilo!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Seto-san
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Far Cry 5's OST is one of my favorites. A lot of them give off a vibe of a common Gospel song, but when you understand the game and the lyrics; you realize how creepy the songs are. There aren't a lot of OSTs that I like, but generally, the ones I do like is because they end up fitting the game if that makes sense.

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
list of video games with some of the best jams known to man
Pokémon series (of course) (especially gen 5, gen 4, and gen 2)
Earthbound/mother series (especially mother 2 and 3)
Super Mario galaxy
Undertale/deltarune
Off
FFVII
Sonic 2 and sonic CD
F-zero
Ocarina of time and breath of the wild
Kirby superstar