Want to hear something disgusting?

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
My laptop has a 1050ti, 8gb of DDR4, and an M.2 slot with the OS on it, which is more than enough to run most modern games decently without workstation intensive use. However, some ****** at Dell thought he was being cute and decided to throw in a 7300HQ so I get CPU bottlenecked at every possible point and I end up never getting to max out my GPU in games because the arguably most integral part of my PC can't support it!

What's even worse is my GPU is hardwired into my integrated graphics, which are hardwired into the display, so it has to do this sort of passthrough bs. This makes it quick to switch between games and the desktop and reduces the load on my GPU slightly (not enough to make up for the CPU deficit) but for stuff like OBS it can't capture gameplay from applications running on the integrated graphics and can't do a display capture. When I run OBS on the integrated graphics, it can do display capture but can't capture games because they're running on my graphics card. This also causes a bunch of other compatibility issues with other programs, which is a load of fun.

To top it all off, when emulating something like Smash 4 with CEMU, it lasts an hour on battery. I had a 2 and a half hour plane ride and it didn't even last half the flight. It advertised 12 hours on battery in optimal settings, but with brightness to low and power saving on, I got like 7 just watching Youtube. 12 with what? Letting it sit there with the display on?

Tl;dr Dell Inspiron gaming laptops are a hassle. For the price, I guess it's worth it, but if you're dropping a considerable amount on a laptop, get the razer stealth or something, then later down the road get the razer core and buy an external GPU.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Woah, that sounds like some serious power! The most my laptop can do is play Skyrim at medium-low graphical settings at 30 fps or so. Meaning most console games after 2013-14 are off-limits to me. :3

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
There are 8th generation i7 processors and 9th generation i9 processors these days so a 7300HQ is a little dated.

I had a similar issue when I was getting a new laptop two months ago, there was a 7th generation processor laptop with a great graphics card (GTX 1060) and large SSD storage space (512 GB) and a 8th generation processor laptop with an average graphics card (GTX 1050) and medium SSD storage space (256 GB). They cost the same price and I ended up going with the 8th generation processor laptop since I thought that the processor would be the biggest determinant of performance.

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
There are 8th generation i7 processors and 9th generation i9 processors these days so a 7300HQ is a little dated.

I had a similar issue when I was getting a new laptop two months ago, there was a 7th generation processor laptop with a great graphics card (GTX 1060) and large SSD storage space (512 GB) and a 8th generation processor laptop with an average graphics card (GTX 1050) and medium SSD storage space (256 GB). They cost the same price and I ended up going with the 8th generation processor laptop since I thought that the processor would be the biggest determinant of performance.
It really depends. I should have probably put more into a better processor since I do video editing and workstation stuff but at the time I just wanted 120fps in CSGO and I was set. Bad choice.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I'd have expected that for most games that CPU and GPU combination would be well-matched. Of course there are exceptions (*cough* KSP *cough*) and emulation can be a CPU-heavy task. The RAM rather than the CPU stands out as a bit miserly to me.