Sword/Shield What DON'T you want in Gen 8? 😱

Klave

let's get this bread
Staff Emeritus
personally there's a couple things I don't want to see:

-too much British inspiration bc I'm not really a fan of things like that (I'm talking butlers/royal everything/Mary Poppins etc) Of course I'm fine with it being there but I don't want everything to be british (I'm not racist I swear)
-I don't want fire bunny to evolve in fire soccer/football player pls let it have a normal evo (jetpack fire bunny would be sick)
-kanto everywhere, pls gamefreak we've had enough

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i agree about scorbunny, i pray to Arceus that the "scor" in its name comes from "scorch" and not "score" -.-

another two things that i don't want are Festival Plaza, and version exclusive clothes and colours.I found Festival Plaza very inconvenient, even though the idea was interesting i guess, it just didn't work for me. And version exclusive clothes is just an annoying and pointless thing ugh let me wear cute pink clothes in both games please

Fafrir

~Tidal wave~
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Def agree with Kanto pandering, I feel it's one of those things that's bogging down the series and I'm just sick of seeing the 1st Gen getting this much praise.
I agree with the inconvenient online from FP to be removed, the PSS was a far better way to connect.
Another thing I don't want is constant hand holding; Pokemon is a straight forward enough game to understand and we don't need 2,000,000 tutorials on how to catch a Pokemon.
Finally, I really don't want to see a third version. The Switch is capable of holding a lot of memory and should they add more features to the games they should add DLC.

There's prolly more but those are the things that come to mind.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
This isn't going to make me any friends, but: I don't think I want an open world. I'm not even sure why, because I can already think of counterargument(s) for every reason I can come up with for not doing that. I guess there's just a feeling of serene simplicity you get from linear games that you don't get when IF YOU SEE IT YOU CAN GO THERE . . . RIGHT NOW! You do then get problems including but not limited to these, also. Oh, and I also don't want to see them validate the gamers on the internet™ who always want the latest buzzwords but will never be truly satisfied.

Give us a battle backdrop for competitive that isn't totally garish, the space age-y nonsense from gens 6 and 7 make me ill.

Z moves are damned if they do, damned if they don't: I thought and still think they were a mistake, but I'm sort of tired of them not sticking to their guns when it comes to game mechanics. By the way, if Z moves come back, can the move animations for all of them not be nine hours long please?

These still apply:
Also fix this, stop doing this, etc, etc, etc.
For the love of your mom can we please just have normal online functionality for once and not waste time screwing around in metaphors like the festival plaza, I feel like I spent more time trying to figure out how to use it than actually doing online stuff. All the other games in the observable universe have figured out the online interface thing, why can't you?

It would be cool if tutorials could go, but I'm pretty sure that's a thing we need to fix about the industry as a whole and not just pocket monsters. Please let me turn off the stupid quest marker though at the very least?

Pipe dream is to stop doing the double- (triple- (quadruple-))version thing, which we already know isn't going to happen for Sword and Shield because they were both announced, and we already know isn't happening ever because the idiots like me who buy both or all copies anyway. Just make a single definite version like all other games and movies and books ffs, it's not about encouraging multiplayer, we all know you just want to sell more units.

Gokudera

4th Dan
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Devin
Please don't use Festival Plaza ever again.
You tried it, it failed, so PLEASE bring back some kind of version of the PSS. I know there's no second screen, but I'm sure there's some way to do it.
Just let us get online, trade, battle with one click.
Also, why did Super Training go away after ONE generation? Even ORAS didn't get it. I thought it was brought in to make it easier to EV train so less people would use Pokesav...Why is it gone now? It was fun, it was precise, it was a great way to EV train.
Also, can we maybe get a Dark Type Gym? Gyms are back, so...let Dark Type finally have a gym. It deserves it, damn it. Steel had it in it's debut generation, as did Fairy. Why is Dark still shunned?

Biohazard

Somebody is digging my bones
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria, Lycoris
Time Zone
UTC+2
I don't want tutorials on how to catch Pokémon. That's all what I want to say tbh.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
New forms/buffs/etc... for Pokemon who already get plenty of love...

I am still very salty over Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo getting two Megas each. Stop shoving these "fan favorites" down our throats and actually do something with the Pokemon that are forgotten/need a buff.

Thundawave

☆ POP/STAR ☆
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
-End Festival Plaza.
-End the constant Kanto inserts.
-End SOS.
-End the awful lag from SOS and double battles that Gen 7 had.
-I hope Scorbunny doesn’t become fire/fighting.
-Stop spoiling literally everything before release!

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
  • No more Fire/Fighting starters.
  • We get that Gen I had great, iconic Pokémon. Can we please have a focus on Pokémon that aren't OP already?
  • I also get that the games are aimed at kids. But the public is mostly adults at this point, who've been playing for a couple generations already, and some through it all. I also get that people who have no idea of a game skip tutorials and then complain about the game being hard. But Gen VII (especially USUM) was a huge step backwards, with the constant hand-holding. Just make them optional.
  • No. More. MANDATORY. MINI. GAMES. Especially when they feature multiple tutorials. Mantine Surfing was insanely annoying in that regards.
  • I'm sick of NPC trainers just wasting time during combat. Whether it's sleep, accuracy loss move spam, using potions/full restores right before a KO. It's not challenging, it's downright annoying.

Last edited:

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
A lot of other people have said it but the Kanto pandering is insane at this point. Especially off the back of Let's Go. The other thing I don't want is old Pokemon to be locked off until post game like in Black and White.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
I don't want Armoured Variants, that's just silly. I also don't want quest objectives in a really obvious colour.

@Thundawave The Switch handled double battles really well, but there was only lag during Koga's gym, with all the smoke. Like form XY to ORAS, I assume the games will end up running better.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
-If Festival Plaza comes back, Game Freak will have to meet me outside.
-If HMs come back, I'll be sad.
-If Scorbunny's final evo is fire/fighting, I'm gonna throw some hands.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
-No Festival Plaza and instead make online play easy to jump into battles and trade and easy as can be to find your friends.
-Let the tutorials be skippable, as much as I actually liked Alola, the first Island was all tutorials and it slowed the story.
-Ease up on the Kanto pandering, Alola forms I liked, but still, we just had Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee.
-Don't make my hoppy bunny boi Fire/Fighting (Although I am a sports nut so I am okay with the Football/Soccer idea if done right)

Last edited:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
-Please don't make Scorbunny Fire/Fighting....
-Go back to XY social set up, please no plaza it's so inconvenient
-No HMs please

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Please don't use Festival Plaza ever again.
You tried it, it failed, so PLEASE bring back some kind of version of the PSS. I know there's no second screen, but I'm sure there's some way to do it.
Just let us get online, trade, battle with one click.
Also, why did Super Training go away after ONE generation? Even ORAS didn't get it. I thought it was brought in to make it easier to EV train so less people would use Pokesav...Why is it gone now? It was fun, it was precise, it was a great way to EV train.
Also, can we maybe get a Dark Type Gym? Gyms are back, so...let Dark Type finally have a gym. It deserves it, damn it. Steel had it in it's debut generation, as did Fairy. Why is Dark still shunned?
All the games since BW2 (maybe except ORAS? I don't remember) had methods to make EV training really easy to understand. SM/USUM had Poké Pelago which could give EVs overnight, so that was nice at least.

I agree with everyone here, Festival Plaza has to go. What if they utilized the entire screen (or most of it) better when you opened the game menu, so the one half is the menu options and the other is online friends or nearby, for example?

I didn't like SOS chaining either. And the only reason it was so annoying to me was because it wasn't optional. If it only happened when you used an Adrenaline Orb, that'd be fine, but noooo. :P

I don't want ride Pokémon that aren't yours to come back either. I liked what Let's Go did where it used your own Pokémon so it didn't feel as tacked on.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
A postgame other than competitive battle and shiny hunting. Every Pokémon game after B2W2 has been collecting dust for aside from the occasional replay. I’m glad there’s features for people into those activities, but some more postgame content for casual players would be so nice.

A roster that isn’t 25% legendaries. Having a variety of new Pokémon to use on a regular playthrough has been difficult with recent titles. Only having a handful of legendaries would fix that.

No new battle gimmicks. Megas and Z-moves have broken the game and only made battling more confusing for newcomers. I’d rather they improve what’s already here rather than add unnecessary elements to battles.

Less story interruptions. One of my only complaints with Gen 7 is the amount of times the game stops to have a character give exposition. These really break the pace of the game and make replays a chore.

Some attention to Unova. Out of all the regions, Unova has had the least references. The U.K. and U.S. have a long history, so maybe they’ll do something with that.