Sword/Shield What Features Do You Want in Pokemon Sword and Shield

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Personally, and I know this is a long shot, but I want there to be custom rules for formats with the more popular seeded at the top. It's be cool to have a Smogon OU battle on the cartridges or even a lower tier without having to worry about your opponent bringing weird Pokemon or a bunch of legendaries. Make it so you can ban moves, Pokemon, and add in a few basic clauses and I think you could have a recipe for some cool stuff.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
OH, COME ON.

I'll just move that post over here I guess.

-----------------------------

Obviously we've only got a few minutes of footage so it would be hard to make a thread about "what we already like in S/S," so I guess this is the next best thing. I just did a lot of complaining in the other thread and I don't usually like complaining - or if I do, I also like to think about positive things too. Try to be realistic, although if you want to dream big I won't stop you.

Related reading: What do you want to see as pokémon in sword/shield?

- The switch can obviously do more graphical things than the 3DS, and from the four minutes or whatever it was, I like what I saw. Seriously, did you see the details in the walls and stuff? It says "game footage not final," too, which always means it's going to look better and not they just picked the best visuals they have available, right? Right? Right? Right?

- Triple battles should come back. I want to see triple battles come back. They're not coming back, are they?

- Meaningful characters would be nice, although you hope for this in every game. Pokémon's been pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to characters though so I'm not going to be too torn up if Mom is the only person I remember after the credits roll

- HMs, in the form of moves that you teach to your monsters and take up one of the four slots. Nobody besides me wants to see HMs ever again, do they? This isn't happening. I still want it to happen. Huh, I said be realistic, didn't I?

- If you do Britain, you are required by intergalactic law to have Stonehenge. Even Kalos had stonehenge! It doesn't have to get blown up this time though.

- I've been lukewarm about the side modes (pokéathlon should have been a game on its own, but I never really got into the Contests and the Musicals didn't feel very complete somehow) but if there could be some way to boost the teambuilding/virtual pet feeling that'd be neat

- Pokémon on the overworld again would be neat. They're probably not going to give us followers ever again, if they were they'd have done it by now, and I'm not really thinking about the overworld encounters that lgpe had, I'm thinking about the magmortar that lived in the kitchens in alola and stuff. Free worldbuilding, right?

- Something that's easy to miss, but not so obscure that you can't find it without looking up conspiracy theories on reddit. Doesn't have to be major, just like extra details about like region or something that aren't critical but make the world just a little more interesting. Canalave library with a few more books in it or something. Hey wait, I just described easter eggs didn't I.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i think i've mentioned these in another thread, but here are some things i want to see in gen 8:

• random 6v6 wifi battles (like in lets go)
  • trainer customization
  • easier team building for competitive
  • pokemon following you (i know we didn't see that in the trailer, but i can still hope)
  • PSS or similar system for online activities
  • battle frontier
  • more Megas
  • no HM's
  • jerk, not friendly rival ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Last edited:

Biohazard

Somebody is digging my bones
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria, Lycoris
Time Zone
UTC+2
I want to the bicycle to return.

Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

Klave

let's get this bread
Staff Emeritus
Yeaa bike / itemfinder/dowsing machine pls come back

I didn't like tauros/stoutland search

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
- HMs, in the form of moves that you teach to your monsters and take up one of the four slots. Nobody besides me wants to see HMs ever again, do they? This isn't happening. I still want it to happen. Huh, I said be realistic, didn't I?
I really liked the way Pokemon Let's Go handled HMs, so I hope that returns for Sword and Shield.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I want the PSS to come back, have Pokemon follow us around, a jerk rival.

Also bikes and itemfinders yissss

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
- A postgame that is more than shiny hunting, competitive battling, and a three hour quest. Ever since X and Y, that’s about all you can do after the Elite Four. You could spend dozens of hours on HGSS, Platinum, and B2W2’s postgame alone. It made the games feel more complete and was always the part of the game I enjoyed the most. None the of the postgame activities in the newer games interest me, which makes Gens 6 and 7 collect dust unless I’m replaying them. Even a couple of new routes would suffice.

- Difficultly on par with USUM. While difficulty settings are nice, I think the way Gamefreak handled it in USUM was perfect. Want an easy journey? Leave the EXP share on. Want something a little more challenging? Turn the EXP share off. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s better than restricting difficulty settings until the credits roll.

- A sound test. Pokémon games always have great music, but you can’t listen to the songs on their own. It’d be great to have a mode where you can just listen to the soundtrack.

- More than 80 new Pokémon. I’m not sure why Gamefreak has reduced the number of new Pokémon per generation by so much. One of the joys of a new generation is always finding new Pokémon that weren’t revealed in trailers. When there’s only 80 Pokémon and 50 are revealed in advance, you can only get so many surprises. Having more than 80 would also make creating teams with only new Pokémon much easier.

- A dolphin Pokémon. It’s been 23 years Gamefreak. If you can make a Pokémon based on a Pokéball, I think you can make something inspired by one of the most interesting animals in the world.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Wants more trading criteria on the Global Trading System. Limits you to just Pokemon, Gender, Level, and a generic message currently. Would add Ability, Regional Form, Pokeball, Held Item, and Shiny. Perhaps one Move as well.

AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I really liked the way Pokemon Let's Go handled HMs, so I hope that returns for Sword and Shield.
Yeah, that was kind of a fun way that they had it with the HMs in Let's Go, even if it wasn't super different from what we got with the Ride Pokemon in Alola.

And speaking of Let's Go, there was one thing about that game that would certainly be welcomed back by me: the Pokemon Box that allows you to swap between your party - and change nicknames - at your discretion. That was one really cool thing about that game and I see no reason why it couldn't become a staple down the road.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
And speaking of Let's Go, there was one thing about that game that would certainly be welcomed back by me: the Pokemon Box that allows you to swap between your party - and change nicknames - at your discretion. That was one really cool thing about that game and I see no reason why it couldn't become a staple down the road.
Yes!!! This feature was so good, I really enjoyed being able to swap out my party at any time.