What gets you out of bed in the morning?

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
As the title says. Sure we all have things like work or school to attend which requires us to no longer being in bed (unless you plan on taking it with you to your place of work/study), but for the most part I would like to focus on those days when you have less obligations. Weekend, holiday/vacation time, or other days off. Regardless of how late you go to bed the night before and how late you wake that following day. Maybe you're excited to see a personal project or goal completed, and you wake feeling refreshed and ready to tackle aforementioned task. Maybe you just like to be up and experiencing the morning, or even just happy to be alive and not wanting to waste your time.

I'm interested to see how people respond to this, as I myself tend to struggle. Even on days when I work and I really have to get the heck up, I find myself lazing in there for anywhere between another 20 minutes to over an hour after waking. It's bad, and I really should change it. I just always feel tired (or that I really can't be bothered) no matter what. The few times I am able to get out at a timely manner I feel good about it, so the logic should follow that if I do it more often, I will just be happier in general, so why don't I? It's not even that I necessarily feel bad about it. Just apathetic, I suppose.

But anyways, what about the rest of you? What gets you motivated out of bed when you wake, or do you feel like the covers just swallow you up and you really don't want to leave your nice comfy spot?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I am a pretty early bird personally, tending to wake up early if I sleep at a normal time. It's a bit compulsive, but I really do enjoy being up when it's bright and early and there's a lot of the day left! This is true during holidays or normal weekdays in college since I tend to sleep the same amount either way. I feel pretty awful if I sleep in! Like sleeping in past 10 am is just disturbing to me and I feel like I lost a chunk of my day just like that, so I'm motivated to wake up during earlier hours normally

Waking up before a long flight or trip is usually a completely different story. I tend to sleep in way more deep just out of sheer nervousness somehow, because I subconsciously am pretty afraid of travelling in general so sleep in that context becomes a defense mechanism lol

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I always feel like I need to get up lest I miss something. That's a crazy thought because I lead a very boring life and don't really have anything on a schedule. But I do get very determined to get out of bed, which can frankly be pretty hard. I've had plenty of times I sit in bed for like 20 minutes saying I'm gonna get out of bed but then just keeping my eyes closed and not moving.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
honestly i don't really think about it too much anymore. i'm up when i'm up, whether that be immediately after waking or after snoozing / staring at the ceiling for another 20 mins, whatever feels right. i used to sleep in until like 4 or 5 pm on some days tho, that was awful, i at least care enough about not wasting away a day off to not do that anymore. the latest i ever sleep in anymore on days off is like 1pm and even then i feel kinda eww.

i guess for me, when i stopped thinking about it so hard and just willed myself up when i wanted to get up, i stopped having such big issues with it

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
the alarm

But seriously, it’s absolutely important that you get out of bed at the time you plan to wake up. It sets the tone for the rest of the day, so I put in extra effort to make my first move a victory, especially during the semester. Don’t hit that snooze button, and don’t turn off your alarm only to sink back into bed. However, I noticed last semester that I wasn’t setting the most realistic alarms in relation to my sleeping time and the time I needed to be somewhere the next day. Instead, I had it at a hard alarm of 8 am all the time, which wasn’t reasonable if I had cranked out a long homework assignment late at night but only had my first class in the afternoon that day. That practically asks for failure, and then you just feel bad about yourself. Regulating your sleep schedule certainly helps you feel awake at the right times, but I’ve learned that I need to be aware of legitimate exceptions. Breaks fall into that category, and I’ve kept my alarm off during my time at home.

Besides that, I can think of many. I have an entire life to live, and there are way too many firsts that I haven’t achieved yet - a degree, a job, etc. I also have numerous hobbies that I can’t do if I stay in bed. If I don’t get up, I can’t dance. Singing while lying down sucks. My laptop and bullet journal stay on my desk, which requires me to get up to access.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Back when I was in school/working days I had to be up at certain times, so I kept my alarm clock away from my bed to make myself actually get up when it went off. That's not an issue for me anymore, because now that I work nights I have several hours between when I wake up and when I actually go to work. Because of that, I really don't police myself on how long I stay in bed after waking up. Some days I get up pretty quickly, others I may stay snug under my blankets for an hour or so. Sure, it isn't productive time, but it's relaxing, and I think that has value too. I don't see any need to force myself up early if I don't feel like it.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
My laptop and bullet journal stay on my desk, which requires me to get up to access.
Back when I was in school/working days I had to be up at certain times, so I kept my alarm clock away from my bed to make myself actually get up when it went off.
I think this is a problem of mine. I keep my phone next to my bed, and so when I wake up, one of the first things I do is browse and then before I know it half an hour has gone past. I should put it over on my desk too.

Reactions: SAF

Pantheon

Right. On. Cue!
Staff Emeritus
My bed is lovely and I hate leaving it because I am comfortable, but I know if I don't get up then and there I'll fall asleep for another few hours and feel bad later. I don't have distractions at my bedside, i.e. phones, I have to get up and reach for them which provides that impetus to just get out of bed. I do find myself doing less in a day the later I wake up even if I end up going to bed at the same time I would if I had woken up earlier. I still have that natural 'it's dark so the day is over' bodily reaction I guess. So that's another motivation. Some days I'll fail and that's okay, but as long as I'm getting more daylight hours most days that's a win for me.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Hunger.

I am not a morning person. Given the chance I will laze in bed until 10, 11, even 12. But sooner or later I'm gonna want something to eat :D

And yeah, phone next to bed is a problem. I guess I should find an alarm clock.

PS: And I don't regard it as "wasting the day" considering I'll be doing plenty of stuff late into the night. I don't sleep any more than most people. Carpe noctem I say.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAF

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Just the feeling that I should probably get up. Like what Christy said, I don't believe you should police yourself about getting up. I find the time trying to wake up pretty relaxing and does start off your day with a more clear head. Granted I don't recommend you stay in bed for like hours, but jumping straight out of bed has always felt bleh to me. Just take your time dude.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
The fact that I want to keep my sleep schedule consistent is usually what gets me up in the morning. Although that’s less of the case recently as I’ve been staying up later.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I'm good at getting out of bed with no trouble at all, I don't need a reason. I rarely feel drowsy when I wake up unless I'm super tired.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
I'm good at getting out of bed with no trouble at all, I don't need a reason. I rarely feel drowsy when I wake up unless I'm super tired.
Hold onto your youth! Cherish it!

More seriously though, for this last week I've been leaving my phone on my desk across the room from my bed. It seems to be helping as I've been getting out of bed quite soon after waking, rather than lazing around for ages. I do feel like I'm being a bit more productive. But it's only been a week, it's early days, so who knows if (but I hope) it will last long term.

Stralend

Dreamer of Faith
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Star; Sara;
Time Zone
GMT + 1
3DS FC
5413-1220-4222
What I do is simple, either I wake up from my first alarm, or I wake up from my 5th... The point is that I don't wake up if I sleep more than 6 hours a night, so that's what usually happens during school days. I sleep from 12 to 6 and then get to get up and slowly wake up which takes about 30 minutes, unless someone bursts in my room.

On days where I don't need to wake up though, I usually wake when I've had enough sleep, and then just get out of bed or stay in bed wrtiting. I am not really a morning person, and it gets proven every time my sister jumps in my room to get me out of bed for a game, because you don't want to be waken up by someone jumping all over the place, being all overly excited as if nothing is happening at all. But those are my personal experiences~

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i’m a very sad and depressed person so not much gets me out of bed honestly. i spend most of my time online, so i’m usually lying in bed and watching youtube all day

a lot of days i can’t even force myself to get out of bed for school so i end up telling my mom i’m sick so i can skip school. usually it’s my mom yelling at me in the morning that gets me out of bed on school days

on weekends, i refuse to ever leave my bed and i’ll kinda be on and off depending on if i have stuff to do like laundry. just do my task and hop back in bed

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
My alarm. I have to work and go to school. This quarter's gonna be rough :T

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
I have to work so I don't have much of choice.

When I don't have work, I still try to wake up by 9 AM since waking up any later would make me feel like I've wasted my day. I think the fact I'm looking forward to doing something during the day helps motivate me to get up, which is similar to what Regine said. Yeah, I do feel tempted to be lazy sometimes but it's not something I'd want to develop a habit out of.