• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Nuzlocke What Makes a World -- Typhlosion's Yellow Nuzlocke -- Complete!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf For better or worse, all of your observations are spot on.

Okey-dokey, Team Rocket Hideout time. Demo returns to the Celadon Game Corner, does not partake in any gambling, and reveals the entrance to the base by activating the "secret" switch hidden behind the poster. Proceeding through the levels is quite uneventful, actually. The puzzles aren't bad and there are numerous high-quality items lying around. I suppose I should have expected that from an extensive crime syndicate. Again, though, all the really useful things like TMs, vitamins, and Rare Candies are going to be stockpiled for later in the game. At one point Demo picks up an Iron. Wait a minute...huh? Zubat? Is that you?

The Pokémon used by the Grunts are all in their low 20s, and even upper teens for those who have more expansive rosters. Pathetic. They use Rattata, Raticate, a few Machop, the occasional Drowzee, and then a load of Poison-types. In other words, while some members of Demo's team take longer than others to get KOs, everything performs pretty well in the long run. Curium, for instance, burns through a lot of PP on Body Slam. Magnesium is forced to rely on Leech Seed and Tackle, for the most part. Against one Grunt, however, things start to look up a bit. He's got four Pokémon and leads with a Rattata. Two Tackles defeat it, and Magnesium grows to Level 30...where he learns Razor Leaf! Aside from a 5% drop in accuracy this is an improvement over Vine Whip in every way: noticeably more power, an improved crit rate, and most importantly, two and a half times more PP. Seriously, only 10 PP on Magnesium's only STAB sucked. The Ivysaur then proceeds to oneshot everything else on the Grunt's team, another Rattata and two Raticate, by landing a crit Razor Leaf on each one. Good times.

On the lowest level of the hideout Demo swiftly silences a Grunt cowering in a back room. There didn't seem to be anything special about him at first, but once he's beaten, an item appears beside him. Huh, that wasn't there before. Demo snags the Lift Key and then has to return to floor B2 only to take the elevator right back down to B4, albeit a different part.

Demo is all set to throw down with the mysterious Boss of this organization, but as soon as he steps off the lift, two familiar (and very weird) faces accost him. Oh yeah, I remember you guys from Mt. Moon. They apparently remember Demo as well, and are excited for the chance at a little revenge...but let's see if they remember one other detail. Jessie and James, do you recall how Demo was in possession of a Magikarp the last time you fought him? Unfortunately for you, that humble creature is now a Gyarados. It was precisely for moments like these that Demo named her Sodium. I can only imagine how salty the Rockets must be as Sodium rages through their team, two-hit KOing all three enemy Pokémon and not even getting poisoned in the process. They skedaddle, leaving Demo along down here with just one other man.

The Boss of Team Rocket congratulates Demo on making it that far, but doesn't waste any more time than that on the pleasantries. His name is Giovanni, and he leads with a Level 25 Onix. Sodium barely takes one look at the other serpentine Pokémon before sending it to the grave with Water Gun. The same fate meets the Level 24 Rhyhorn. Come on, Giovanni, are you even trying? Lastly, he sends out a Level 29 Persian; that's more like it. It takes a moment before I realize that's the same level as Demo's Pokémon, but being a Persian, it's faster. The first seed of worry is planted when its opening Bite is a crit, but it still does a little under half of Sodium's health, while Sodium's own Bite curiously does about the same back. Persian essentially wastes the next turn with Growl, while Water Gun pushes it into KO range of anything but Tackle. Another Bite from Persian is mercifully neither a crit nor a flinch, and a final Water Gun ends things.

Giovanni seems strangely unperturbed; he agrees to step aside, but not without the ominous remark that he hopes to see Demo again. Whatever, dude. Just give me my Silph Scope and honestly we can pretend this never happened...uh, where's the Silph Scope? The Boss disappears without handing anything over. That's a bit weird, but maybe I'll get it later. Demo turns to leave...and there it is. The utter BUFFOON was standing on top of the blasted thing. I hope it still works.

No more room for items!

...is there a word for being the opposite of a genwunner? Because that would be about how I feel right now.

Demo has nothing on hand which I particularly want to get rid of, so he hikes back to the Pokémon Center to use the PC before returning to the hideout. At least he can just take the lift all the way down, this time, instead of going through the puzzles. After much more strife than was necessary, Demo claims his prize...wait, why did he even want this thing again? Oh yeah, in a convoluted way he needs it to move Snorlax, so he can continue on his quest and discover more elements. Rocket, shmocket. Democritus is Greek, remember? He couldn't care less who's running the region as long as they don't bother him personally. Now let's go catch us a GHOST.

Demo finds a GHOST on the third floor of Pokémon Tower...except it's not a GHOST, it's a Gastly! This one happens to be at level 25, which I think is the highest they come, very nice. Two crit Razor Leafs from Magnesium nudge it into the red, then a Sleep Powder from Phosphorus makes for an easy catch. Let's see, Gastly is a species made of poisonous gas. so the choice of nickname seems obvious enough, right?

Obtained Chlorine the Gastly in Pokémon Tower!

Since Demo cleared this place out last time he came through, all he has to do is proceed directly up the tower while fending off the occasional Ghost-type. He does, of course, pay another visit to the one competent Channeler in the whole building (not that his team was in desperate need of healing). On the second-highest level is where events take a new turn. The Silph Scope reveals the entity blocking the stairwell to be the ghost of a Marowak! It's at level 30, and while I feel bad about attacking it, Demo has to do what he has to do. A crit Razor Leaf from Magnesium ends the fight in one turn. Dang, every single time he's used that move it has been a critical hit. However, it seems the defeat was good for the spirit, as it now freely departs to the afterlife. Not dark at all.

At the "summit" of Pokémon Tower Demo bumps into none other than Jessie and James. Back so soon, are we? They throw a slight curveball and lead with Meowth this time; Phophorus needs two Confusions and a Gust for the win, while it Growls a couple times and tosses out a single Bite. The surprises aren't over, however, as they then send out an Arbok. Decided to evolve some Pokémon, did you? Phosphorus goes first and lands Confusion for about 60%. I don't get to see what Arbok would have done in return, since it becomes confused and hurts itself. I'll take what I can get, but that does not involve putting Phosphorus in the way of the incoming Weezing. That'll be Curium's job. After a single Growl its Tackle and doubly-resisted Poison attacks are doing pathetic damage, though it's bulky enough that Curium needs four turns for the kill. In that time the Weezing does reveal Sludge, making me glad Demo recalled his Bug-type Pokémon.

Once Team Rocket blasts off again I'm free to rescue Mr. Fuji. He claims he went there of his own free will, which is rather annoying from our end, but he's at least willing to thank Demo for his trouble by offering up the Poké Flute. It's not like that's all we were after, or anything. We really did care about your well-being, Mr. Fuji, promise. Anyhow, there's now absolutely nothing left to do that doesn't involve getting a Snorlax out of the way, so you know what time it is. That's right, it's time to load up on Great Balls at the Celadon Department Store.

For reasons detailed in the previous update, Demo heads to Route 16 and puts the Poké Flute to his lips. One short melody later, Snorlax attacks in a grumpy rage! Curium is out first so she can minimize Snorlax's attack with six Growls. It mainly responds with the currently-useless Rest, only pulling off one Headbutt near the end of the sequence for 9 damage. Looking good. Curium then tests the waters with Double Kick, which does around a third. Snorlax Rests again, which in any other generation should give me enough opportunity to wear it down into catchable range. However, in Gen I Pokémon wake up from Rest after only a single turn of sleep; they still can't move that turn, but it robs Demo of the catching bonus.

This is how the plan goes. I wait until Snorlax uses Rest, then get off one decent hit with Curium. I switch to Phosphorus on the turn it wakes up and immediately Sleep Powder it. It wakes up right away so I Sleep Powder the dang thing again. Praying it will last, I switch to Sodium and use two Dragon Rages, which have the perk of not critting, until Snorlax is low on health. Then Demo chucks Great Balls like mad. I must get lucky with the sleep duration because Snorlax still doesn't wake up during all this time, and four Great Balls get the job done. I already know what this Snorlax will be named: a heavy, dangerous element for a heavy, dangerous Pokémon.

Obtained Lead the Snorlax on Route 16!

Demo's entire team collectively took only 9 damage during that fight, which means he's perfectly ready to continue on down Route 16.

Boy, Routes 16 and 17 are a drag. Nothing but Poison- and Fighting-types as far as the eye can see. If this was any other Generation, where Karate Chop was Fighting and Bug wasn't weak to Poison, Phosphorus would have had a field day here. Alas for what could have been. She only nearly died once this time.

Whilst clearing out a huge pack of Trainers right at the entrance to Cycling Road, Nitrogen grows to Level 31 and learns Wing Attack! Despite me saying at least once previously how Sand Attack might as well not exist, it's not like Nitrogen really needs both Gust (Normal, physical, 40 power) and Quick Attack (Normal, physical 40 power) at the same time. You never know when Demo might need to roll the dice. Speaking of dice, Magnesium extends his Razor-Leaf-critical-hit streak by at least 4 additional uses. I lost exact count.

Once the northern section is done, Demo finds himself by the one patch of grass on Cycling Road. He...pedals?...into the grass, and out leaps a Ponyta! This is good; Demo doesn't have too much use for Doduo and everything else he has already. Of course a Dragon Rage from Sodium does just over half its health, but Nitrogen's new Wing Attack does just the right amount of damage. Ponyta carries fire just like the mythical figure Prometheus was said to have done, so Promethium it is.

Obtained Promethium the Ponyta on Route 17!

Having thus fulfilled his duty here in the name of science, Demo is free to continue down the road, being challenged by many Trainers as he goes. It's about this time that he finds the only two non-wild Pokémon on the route that aren't either pure Poison-type or pure Fighting-type. Both are Level 29 Voltorb, under the command of a certain Biker. Well, I know what Voltorb like to do, and true to form the first one doesn't hesitate to Selfdestruct in Magnesium's face, for just about exactly half his HP. Curium and Sodium, to whom Demo would normally turn in this situation, aren't in top form, but they both have better odds of surviving than Magnesium. It's the Ground-type Nidoqueen up to bat, but the Voltorb hits her with Screech on the switch. Um, so much for that. The same thing then happens to Sodium, but Demo finally catches a break going back to Curium, when Voltorb sets up Light Screen. After exchanging one or two other blows, the second Voltorb also goes boom; with no Screeches set up Curium survives it comfortably. Sheesh. Demo's odds of losing someone in that battle were...pretty good.

Turns out, the surprises aren't quite over. The split experience from the Biker's last Pokémon nudges Magnesium to level 32...and the Ivysaur evolves into a Venusaur! I had thought it evolved at Level 36, so I was genuinely caught off guard, it came as a real surprise to me. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

That's pretty much it for bright spots, however. By the time he reaches the gate leading to Route 18, Demo has approximately 0 Super Potions left and no one at full HP. Curium is almost to the point where she can't fight at all anymore; having burned through most of the PP on Double Kick and Body Slam, only working with Growl and Poison Sting won't get her much of anywhere. There's nothing of actual interest in the gatehouse, but it's a nice little in-game breather.

On the other side, since the team is in rough shape, Demo briefly bypasses the Trainers on Route 18 and darts into Fuchsia City to heal up at the Pokémon Center. He leaves the main bulk of exploration for later and returns for his unfinished business. The first two of the three Bird Keepers are no issue. They use only combinations of Spearow and Fearow, nothing higher than Level 29. While fighting them Sodium levels up and learns Leer. Demo replaces Tackle; Leer will only work with Bite for now, but Bite and Tackle together wasn't necessary.

The third Bird Keeper is another story, however: a Level 34 Dodrio. Yikes. Silicon is out in front, who can't do squat. Let's see. Nitrogen is at full health for the switch-in, and with his strong Fly and priority Quick Attack he should be a decent choice.

Enemy Dodrio used Drill Peck! A critical hit! ...Nitrogen fainted!

Lost Nitrogen the Pidgeotto :pidgeotto:

Full health to no health just like that. 92 HP lost in the blink of an eye. Oh, that hurts.

We can't mourn quite yet, though. I realize it is a damn good thing Demo went to heal up because otherwise he very well could have wiped right then and there. Even so, this stupid Dodrio is critting left and right. Silicon couldn't take even a non-crit attack from this thing, and Phosphorus and Magnesium are weak to Flying. Aaaaaaahhhhh. A crit Fury Attack with only three hits knocks off 40% of Curium's HP. Sodium takes a two-hit crit on the switch for around a quarter of her health. It uses Growl next, so I'm glad Demo didn't order Bite, but Dragon Rage doesn't push the Dodrio to under half health. Miraculously, neither the next Fury Attack nor the subsequent Drill Peck are critical hits, allowing Sodium to end the battle with Dragon Rage and Water Gun.

Ouch. It's only due to sheer luck that Nitrogen wasn't the only casualty. Rest in peace, ye of the high-pitched screaming battle cry.

I can't bring myself to really care about the Route 18 encounter at this point. Oh, just a Spearow. Tchah. I think this was Demo's last chance to get Doduo, but whatever. That Dodrio is still cursing us from beyond the grave.

Route 18 encounter failed.

With heavy heart Demo returns to Fuchsia City and lays his Pidgeotto to rest alongside his lifelong friend Carbon. As for a replacement, Lead is objectively the "best" Pokémon in the PC right now, but I'd like to begin training a Fire-type. It will be quite useful against Koga's Yellow team, and anything with halfway decent Special is a godsend against Sabrina. On a more practical note, Demo now has nothing in his party that can use Fly. None of the elements at his disposal satisfy both of those conditions currently, but there's one that will...eventually.

Withdrew Scandium the Charmander from the PC :charmander:

I've wanted to use him since about the moment I got him, but a good opportunity never arose until now. Level 10 is daunting, though.

After running around Fuchsia and finding nothing of interest, aside from the Good Rod in the house of a Fishing Guru, Demo heads south for a spell. He can't use Surf yet, and I wouldn't right now anyway, but there are two Swimmers to beat. Scandium gets his first taste of switch training and Magnesium hits Level 33. Right on the beach there's a curious little house, populated by nothing but a man with trivial dialogue and a Pikachu. What the heck is this for...oh. This must be where the surfing Pikachu minigame takes place...for those Trainers who still have a Pikachu. The one running around looks just like Carbon, too. Sigh.

The Safari Zone will have to wait. Demo sets off on a much bigger adventure: north to Celadon via Cycling Road, west to Lavender via the Underground Tunnel, and back south along Route 12, to where the second of two sleepy giants awaits. Since I'm only here to knock it out this time, the fight is uneventful. Curium Growls twice for good measure and then spams Double Kick. Once she outmaneuvers the Rest turns, Double Kick is a three-hit KO; Snorlax doesn't put up a fight, and now Demo can return to Cerulean City without having to go through Rock Tunnel again!

This is important because the Grass-types up on the cape are Scandium's best shot at fighting for himself. The little Charmander is Level 14 by now, and a few minutes of targeted arson against the local flora bring him first to 15, when he learns Leer, and then to 16, when he evolves into Charmeleon!

Since an evolved Scandium is much more likely to be capable of taking the occasional hit while switch training, it's time for Demo to once more take up that time-honored tradition while making his way down Kanto's eastern seaboard. He scoots back south and west past Vermilion City. Incidentally, possession of a Charmeleon brings Demo to precisely 30 entries in his Pokédex, which means that he's finally able to receive the Itemfinder from Professor Oak's aide in the gate leading to Route 12. Not that I intend to use it a lot, but still nifty.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 32
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 32
-Flash
-Gust
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 32
-Dragon Rage
-Leer
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 33
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 32
-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charmeleon)
Level 16
-Scratch
-Growl
-Ember
-Leer

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Mendelevium (M.delevium, Nidoran♂)
Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave
Killed by a BubbleBeam from Misty's Starmie

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly
Killed by a critical hit Drill Peck from a Bird Keeper's Dodrio

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Oof.
That Dodrio must have been terrifying. I still love Gen 1, but crits being based on speed was a crock and a half of Tauros crap.

Carbon's surfing in Pokeheaven right now. And probably doing more bad ass tricks than Mantine Surfing ever could accomplish

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Edit by way of post: In case it wasn't clear, the Snorlax on Route 12 doesn't count as the encounter for that area, nor does it use up any Dupes Clause, since it was a scripted encounter. The one on Route 16 wouldn't have either, except for the fact that I chose to have it count since I actually wanted a Snorlax.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Gokudera I've never had anything against Dodrio before, but that might have to change after this. Terrifying was right.

Demo has Scandium in the lead slot when he heads south down Route 12. The first Trainer to catch his eye greets him with something, something...electricity. Oh, great. It's a Rocker, and he leads with a Voltorb. Just great. Curium switches in to absorb the blow, but surprisingly it never comes. Voltorb uses two Sonic Booms and a Light Screen before biting the dust. After that is a Level 29 Electrode. Oh boy. At 65 HP I'm not confident in Curium's ability to take an evolved Selfdestruct, so Demo has Sodium come out. This Pokémon does go boom right away, but the damage isn't significant. Good riddance.

At this point Demo realizes he never bought any more Super Potions. Come on. He wastes a bunch of time running all over the mazelike docks to get to Lavender. I figure 15 should be plenty and then some; I have to make sure not to do anything reckless, because the game still feels like a bit of a blur after Nitrogen's death.

Right past where the Rocker was, there's a house with another Fishing Guru brother inside, and after assuring him that I love fishing (hint: I don't) he hands Demo a Super Rod. Sweet. That expands Demo's options here even further. Expanded to such a degree, in fact, taking into account grass, fishing, and surfing, that I think I'll hold off on an encounter here indefinitely. Maybe a specific need will come up later.

Past a Cut tree off to the side, Scandium gets his first chance to shine in a Trainer battle. Why does Charmeleon's Gen I backsprite look like a giant orange manatee? The opponent is a Fisherman who only uses two Magikarp, and even though they're level 24 against Scandium's 16, he defeats them with ease. Is it weird that I can't help but think of a fish fry as Scandium is slow roasting the Fisherman's team with Ember? At any rate, it's nice to be able to leave him in for more than one turn at a time. Grinding him up is going to be tricky in Set mode, but oh well. Demo's reward on this little side quest is an Iron. Zubat? Is that you?

Continuing south, it's really nothing interesting, just long strings of NPCs with a ton of Normal-types. Demo skirts past the grass patch on Route 12. After beating the first couple Trainers in Route 13's fence maze, life on the road is getting to be a bit much, so Demo retraces his steps to Vermilion City to heal. For the record, yes, I am aware that I could pull Boron out of the PC and have something who can Fly. I just don't want to. I'm stubborn like that. At least Scandium nabs a couple wins against low-leveled wild Pokémon on Route 11.

Remember what I said about saving the encounter? Yeah, I lied. After meticulously analyzing the data of these four southeastern Routes, I conclude that it's in Demo's best interest to shoot for a specific encounter on Route 12. He breaks out his swanky new Super Rod, and as luck would have it, gets exactly what he was after...not a Horsea, but a Seadra! At 25, it's underleveled for its species, but much easier to wrangle than one at 32 or above would be. Phosphorus, teammate catcher extraordinaire, puts another metaphorical notch on her metaphorical sword. As I run through the table of elements, nothing seems to fit quite right until close to the end, when I find something that seems to fit incredibly. The marine-dwelling Seadra is categorized as the Dragon Pokémon, and in Gen I at least, it's fully evolved. One might almost call it a sea god...

Obtained Neptunium the Seadra on Route 12!

After that, Demo just slogs on. This place is chock-full of Bird Keepers, which is annoying since Demo's team, I realize, does not have a Flying resistance. Not that Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Spearow, Fearow, and Doduo use too many Flying-type attacks...but Demo also lacks a Normal resistance. Sheesh. One Bird Keeper, upon being challenged, tells Demo that he loves Flying-types, or loves bird Pokémon, or something like that. Cool, I hate you. Another one, upon being defeated, tells Demo that Flying-types are his one true love. Cool, I hate you too, and everything you stand for. There is one Biker randomly thrown into the mix. He makes for a nice change of pace, but the utter BUFFOON can't even show Demo a Weezing for his trouble, using only three Koffing.

Demo, despite having been rewarded with a couple hidden vitamins along the way, breathes a sigh of relief upon reaching Route 14 and leaving the fences behind. By this time Scandium's training has boosted him to Level 21, while everyone else is at 33. There better be a heck of a lot more experience somewhere before Demo has to fight Koga: the Fuchsia City Gym Leader's level cap is a frankly mind-boggling 50.

Route 14 has a more favorable mix of Bikers to Bird Keepers. One of the latter asks Demo whether or not he knows of the Legendary Pokémon. Why, no, he doesn't. Care to tell us more? The Trainer has a team of one and sends out a Farfetch'd. Oh, wow, this is Demo's first time seeing such a Pokémon! It must be a Legendary! Hot dog. Scandium switches out to Magnesium; two Razor Leafs (both still crits) and a few turns of Leech Seed chip damage end the battle, but Demo did take a bit of a risk. Although the Farfetch'd didn't cause any damage, it did stack a couple Leers and Swords Dances. Oops.

The Bikers are a bit of a nuisance, especially Grimer with their status moves, but they're passably easy. One of them hits Magnesium with Disable on the switch and blocks Tackle, giving me a flashback to Route 8. Against a different Biker, however, Phosphorus grows to Level 34 and learns the last move she'll receive by level-up: the long-awaited Psybeam. I know I once replaced Stun Spore with Gust to have a little more type coverage, but let's face it, Phosphorus's Attack is way worse than her Special. I can't give up Flash and I won't give up Sleep Powder, and if I gave up Confusion the reduced PP would be an issue. So, the Butterfree returns to being a monotype Psychic attacker, but nevertheless with a wider range of moves at her disposal.

After clearing out the Trainers, Silicon's Cut gives access to the lone patch of grass on Route 14. There are several cool things here: Bellsprout, Farfetch'd, Venonat, and I think even Venomoth. All those options notwithstanding, Demo finds a plain Oddish. Ugh. Cool as the other Pokémon might be, they're not really worth using any Dupes Clause.

Route 14 encounter failed.

The same species live on Route 15, so at least Demo will have one more shot at something. By the time I get there, though, both HP and PP are becoming an issue, so as with Route 18 earlier I decide to sprint to the city first and worry about battling later. As luck would have it, the northern half of the Route is a straight shot to Fuchsia, with only a single female Junior Trainer between Demo and the Pokémon Center.

She too has only one Pokémon: a level 33 Clefairy. It doesn't look like much, and it's at an equal or lower level compared to all of Demo's Pokémon except Scandium, but I'm not letting my guard down. Turns out that was for good reason. Curium comes in for Scandium and Clefairy misses a Sing. On the next turn, Double Kick knocks it to 1/3 health remaining, but Clefairy responds with Minimize. That was it. I don't know what the odds are exactly, but luck must have been really against me not to hit at all as Clefairy set up three more Minimizes, used Metronome to hit Curium with Wrap, followed that up with a max-hit Double Slap, and then put Curium to sleep with Sing. Even with all that, I think I could have pulled through relatively unharmed had it not been for the stupendous unpredictability of Metronome. By this time Curium was at a third of her health, so I decided to switch out. That became the single best decision of the whole run, as Phosphorus only laughed at the Metronome-summoned Earthquake which surely would have killed Curium. Freaking Earthquake. But we're still not done.

Phosphorus, hoping to put the new Psybeam to good use, still misses repeatedly as Clefairy boosts up with more Minimizes to what I assume is the max evasion modifier. It occurs to me that if Metronome summons a Rock move Demo will have lost a Pokémon, but since there are only two in the game and both have bad accuracy, I'm more comfortable with that than I would be, say, leaving Sodium out to potentially take an Electric attack. Clefairy does the next best thing, though. It puts Phosphorus to sleep as well; I decide to see if I can wait it out. After another DoubleSlap which thankfully only hits three times, Metronome spits out Flamethrower. NOPE. Phosphorus, still asleep, is replaced with Magnesium. Clefairy did something ineffectual on the switch, but Magnesium's first Razor Leaf misses and he becomes trapped by bloody Fire Spin courtesy of Metronome. Of all the trapping moves that exist to this day, Metronome used the ONE aside from Magma Storm and Centiskorch's G-max move which would be supereffective on a Venusaur. I'm so done. At last, after Fire Spin has run its five-turn course and left Magnesium at half health, his second Razor Leaf connects, scores another crit, and knocks out the Clefairy. Wow. If nothing else, the 4-way split experience boosts Curium to Level 34.

Demo's team is trashed. He's off like a rocket, pausing only long enough to scoop up the TM for Rage at the western terminus of the road before dashing into Fuchsia City. Yikes. What a day.

Once Demo has had the chance to pull everyone back from the brink, he returns to traverse the southern lane of Route 15. Again, nothing much to report. One of the Beauties mentions that she's all alone except for her Pokémon, and man do I feel that. One of the Bird Keepers, who has three Pokémon might I add, leads with a Dodrio. Cue the war flashbacks. However, the tables are turned this time, since it's only at Level 28 vs Curium's 34, and two Body Slams put it away. The next two Basic-stage birds aren't worth a mention. Somewhere in all that, Silicon hits Level 35 and picks up Slash. Given how high his crit rate is already courtesy of his Speed, that makes a perfect upgrade to Scratch. Scandium claws his way to Level 24, still being switch-trained, and learns Rage. I don't imagine that will get much use with Scratch around, but more than Growl would.

I crack my knuckles and stare the RNG dead in the eye. With as many species as Demo still hasn't caught, you better freaking give him something here. Whether or not my threats had an effect, the RNG goes along and grants Demo a Level 24 Venonat as his encounter. Curium's first Poison Sting hits for 25% and the second, a crit, puts the bug at comfortable catching range backed up by Sleep Powder. I decide to christen it Neon, not for any particular reason. All the letters of neon are in Venonat, and Bug-types like Venonat are known to be attracted to lights such as neon ones.

Obtained Neon the Venonat on Route 15!

The logical next step here is the Safari Zone, but before Demo gets in touch with his wild side, I want to devote some time to straight-up grinding. Heh, it's easy enough to do while I watch the Super Bowl. I end up making an entire circuit of central Kanto: west out of Fuchsia, up the Cycling Road, bypassing Saffron, and then back south and east after Lavender Town. I spend some time on Route 8, some on Route 12, before I realize I'm out of Antidotes and cannot afford to get poisoned again by anything, and finish up back on Route 15. Getting paralyzed by Stun Spore around here is actually pretty nifty, and Demo doesn't bother to heal it when it happens, because it's so much easier to deal with than poison or sleep. At the end of an hour or two Scandium is at Level 32: within 2 of some of the rest of Demo's team. Grinding successful so far, but Demo isn't finished yet. He stays on Route 15 for one more level's worth of grinding; that allows Scandium, just like Silicon not long ago, to upgrade Scratch to Slash.

With that move in tow, Demo takes a shot at grinding on Route 17 instead, and boy is this an improvement. It would've been way more difficult without Slash, so I don't regret not coming here earlier or anything, but the Doduo, Ponyta, and Fearow give way more experience than Oddish, Bellsprout, and Venonat, and aren't much harder to beat. There is one close call when a wild Fearow is able to copy Slash with Mirror Move. Being Normal-type it gets STAB on an already powerful move that crits, and I'm prepared for the worst as Scandium's HP plummets to 11. Good riddance. Demo has Sodium finish it off, and she actually gains a level from the split experience.

Demo runs to Celadon once to replenish PP on Slash and Ember. While he's there he takes the liberty of buying 15 Antidotes, since he was out and they're still surprisingly hard to come by, as well as a couple Ice Heals just in case and 4 Lemonades. After that it isn't much longer at all until Scandium reaches Level 35. I put that on hold to pick up one more level on Magnesium, who up until now has been trailing at 34. I worry a bit about how he'll deal with the Fire and Flying Pokémon running around, but crit Razor Leafs oneshot the Doduo. Demo encounters 4 of them in a row and that's all it takes. With the entire team at a uniform level for the first time since Nitrogen's death, we spend just a couple more minutes on Cycling Road so Scandium can reach the all-important Level 36...and evolve into a Charizard!

Sweet merciful air power. Demo immediately dives into his Bag to teach this thing Fly, using...the HM he stashed in the PC a long time ago.
Whatever. I've waited this long and I can wait a little longer. A nice cruise down Route 17 returns Demo to Fuchsia City once again, where he's able to tutor his winged-but-apparently-slow-on-the-uptake dragon in the art of flight. Rage is no longer necessary; it had the potential to outdamage Scratch after Scandium took a hit or two, but it was only ever gimmicky at best and can't hold a candle to Slash. As long as he's dumpster diving in the PC Demo also pulls out the Good Rod, which will be important for his Route 19 encounter in a while.

Between Scandium, Phosphorus, Silicon, and Sodium, Koga and his legion of Psychic-wielding poisonous bugs should be no trouble whatsoever if Demo plays his cards right. However, "playing his cards right" does not involve being 15 levels below the Gym Leader's ace, which means he will have to find other pursuits to occupy his time at present. Let's go complete our collection of HMs, shall we?

The Safari Zone is such a pain. SUCH a pain. Ugh. I spend minutes on end scrutinizing the maps on Bulbapedia to get through this as efficiently as possible. Immediately upon entering, though, Demo makes a beeline for the lake in the middle of the first area and sets up his Super Rod. The first thing he hooks is a Magikarp.

It's at this point that I realize I don't know what to do here regarding Dupes Clause. The rules address how Demo could go about catching a Pokémon here, but not exactly what to do if it's a species he's already caught, since I did specify that I would be able to catch something here regardless. The course of action I chose to take can be judged in the court of public opinion. Demo runs from the first Magikarp, fishes up another, and runs from that too. Two shots of Dupes Clause used. That makes my total of six for the run. However...Demo then casts again, and is successful in encountering a Dratini. This one runs, but he doesn't stop. Numerous Magikarp and another Dratini later, Demo is finally able to get the third Dragon-type he finds to stay in a Safari Ball. I name it Oganesson, which is the last known element in the periodic table, at 118, and also quite mysterious: fitting for a Dragon Pokémon practically at the end of the Pokédex.

Obtained Oganesson the Dratini in the Safari Zone...maybe?

That's the story. It boils down to me being really set on catching a Dratini or Dragonair just because I wanted to use the name Oganesson. Please comment and tell me whether you think that was appropriate. I came out of it with no Dupes Clause left, so there's at least something of a give-and-take, and I'm fine giving up on the chance to obtain any other Safari-Zone-exclusive species. If you don't think I should be allowed to use Oganesson, I would perfectly understand, and she can stay in the PC forever.

Demo makes sure to grab every item he can find, so it's his second try at the Safari Game before he makes it to the Secret House. He had just grabbed the Gold Teeth, but there's another item right outside too...No more room for items.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

That means no HM03. Demo has nothing in his Bag that he's willing to get rid of, and these stupid Gen I era mechanics don't even give him the option of retiring early, so he has to run around to use up all his steps, go back to the Pokémon Center (which is not easy in Fuchsia because of all the Cut trees and ledges), shove some junk in the PC, and run through the Safari Zone a third time before finally claiming his prize. Curium is capable of learning Surf for whatever weird reason, but it goes to Sodium instead. I don't want to lose Water Gun, since Surf's PP isn't incredible, so it's goodbye to Leer. Not much left to do in the Safari Zone; since Demo went straight for the Secret House and can use Surf now, he should be able to get all the items...No! You need a new Badge!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Technically, the only item here which requires Surf to get is a Nugget, but Demo doesn't have enough steps to go back around the long way for the few things that are left, and he's certainly not about to shell out another 500 bucks. If I care that much after beating Koga I'll come back one more time later.

Time to redeem another prize. Demo returns the Gold Teeth to their rightful owner, who immediately pops them in without even stopping to wash them. Gross. Anyhow, he bestows upon Demo the last of 5 HMs, HM04 Strength. Of the three Pokémon on Demo's team who can learn it, Scandium is the one with the least variety of cool TMs available to him, so he'll be the party strongman. I can't give up Fly, ought not to give up Ember, and don't want to give up Slash...so it's goodbye to Leer. I'm noticing a pattern.

Now that Demo hopefully won't be needing them again, he goes to deposit the two HMs in the PC...No more room to store items.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Demo is at full item capacity on everything. Nothing for it but to scroll through and throw out some worthless TMs, including but not limited to Bide, Counter, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, and Egg Bomb. In most any other game I would've thrown out Rest too, but I might actually have a plan for that if things go well later on. I tried throwing out the SS Ticket as well, since that literally does nothing for me anymore, but apparently that's "too important to toss away." Screw you.

Even once I've pruned things as much as I think could be reasonable, Demo only has space for a small handful of new items. This is gonna suck. But, since nothing on his team has gained a single level since evolving Scandium, and both the Power Plant and Route 19 are apparently inaccessible, Saffron City with be the place to go. Demo snagged a couple Lemonades the last time he was in Celadon, so it's showtime.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 35
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 35
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 35
-Dragon Rage
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 35
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 35
-Slash
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 36
-Slash
-Fly
-Ember
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Comments on the Safari Zone issue are appreciated!

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
can be whatever
Speaking of Safari Zone and how it works, I reckon that encounter rule there should be a little bit different from the rest. Here's a penny of my thoughts about it:
  • Catching attempts are unlimited as long as dupes clause doesn't kick in.
  • Maybe you could use the Pinwheel clause for this one? :hmmazurill:

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
HMs this gen can be a pain, but good work so far. Again, adore the naming theme. I think you should be allowed to use oganesson.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Typically, people who play with a full Dupes Clause and a Safari Zone Clause will chuck balls at anything that isn't a dupe encounter until they catch something. With your rules though, you couldn't just ignore dupes and keep going indefinitely until you found and caught something you didn't have yet. That being said, you found a Pokemon without going over the number of uses of Dupes Clause you gave yourself at the start of the run. I'd argue that when you found a Dratini without violating Dupes Clause, your Safari Zone Clause gave you the right to search for another Dratini when the first one fled. After all, it would be lame to burn those uses of Dupes Clause on a Pokemon that flees immediately.

TL;DR: I don't think you broke your rules by searching for another Dratini, so I'd feel free to use Oganesson.

Also, that jump in levels between Erica and Koga must be the single most ridiculous level curve in a Pokemon game to date. Oh well, it's not a challenge run if it doesn't have grinding, right?

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
That Clefairy sounds like it was a pain in the ass.
Minimize is an evil move created by an evil person who probably kicks puppies for fun.
And that Metronome pull. EQ? Fire Spin? That's...insane. Thank Arceus everyone managed to survive that.

As for Ohanesson, I agree with everyone. I think it's a legal encounter. Use that dragon boio.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@SAF @juiccbox @Calaf @Gokudera Thanks for your comments! I'm not saying Oganesson would be my first-in-line pick for the next replacement, but I'll feel a lot better about using her now should it ever come to that!

No, we're not done with the Soul Badge yet. This is what you get in a JRPG that actually lets you roleplay a bit and explore large swathes of the game, as opposed to a more linear, progressive, handholdy style. Not that I refer to anything in particular.

Saffron City: the shining, golden city of commerce. There doesn't seem to be a ton of commerce going on at the moment, however. The Pokémon Center and Poké Mart are open for business, as is the house of Mr. Psychic where Demo is given one of the best moves in the game absolutely free, but most of the other buildings in Saffron City are blockaded by members of Team Rocket. That's all the citizens can talk about, and there are plenty of grunts roaming the streets as well. One of them gloats to Demo that Team Rocket's goal is to exploit Pokémon. Exploit them for...what? Demo is getting closer and closer to the heart of this mystery.

One other place that the journeying philosopher can access is the Fighting Dojo. Always eager for a bit of training, he takes up the challenge. It's a good place for a level or two, as everything on Demo's team has a passable matchup against Fighting (all but one of them are Poison or Flying) and soon the four students are put in their places. With Magnesium in the lead, Demo challenges the Master.

Despite all of his followers hyping him up, this utter BUFFOON turns out to be the easiest fight in the whole building. His two prized Fighting-type Pokémon are level 37, but he wastes his time with two X Attacks and a missed Rolling Kick from Hitmonlee while Magnesium sets up Leech Seed and PoisonPowder and scores a crit Razor Leaf for the KO. Hitmonchan comes with all the elemental punches, I'm pretty sure, but since its Special is garbage I'm not worried. Indeed, a super-effective Fire Punch barely does enough damage worth mentioning. Unlike its brother, Hitmonchan is slower, so it only gets a chance to do that and miss a Comet Punch...while Magnesium sets up Leech Seed and PoisonPowder and scores a crit Razor Leaf for the KO.

Out of my way, old man. Demo's earned his right to the one thing Trainers ever come here for. One of these two Pokémon is pretty well accepted to be a lot better than the other, and that's fine with me, so Demo picks out the Hitmonlee. This species is named after Bruce Lee, so this individual will be christened Seaborgium, the first element to be named after a person who was still alive at the time of the naming. (The other one is now oganesson.)

Obtained Seaborgium the Hitmonlee in Saffron City!

This does of course mean Demo can't receive Lapras later, but that doesn't bother me. He's already loaded with Water-types, and having Ice-type moves is a lot more important than having Ice-type Pokémon.

Another building being blocked by a Rocket Grunt is the Saffron City Gym, which is a detail I hadn't remembered. Guess there's really no choice for it now but to tackle Silph Co. Before Demo heads inside he purges his Bag of as many unnecessary things as he can, such as Great Balls and Escape Ropes. I'd really rather not have to make extra trips just to grab items.

Silph Co. itself isn't a huge deal, at least at the beginning. The levels of the grunts' Pokémon are hanging out in the upper twenties, which is decent training since the exp yields are relatively high and Demo's upper-thirties team can take them out easily. Sodium's Surf is a lot of fun, even though Bite and Water Gun can still two-hit KO pretty much everything. The odd Sonic Boom and Selfdestruct from various Electric-types are annoying but not insurmountable. I'm scared to death of running into Awfe at a bad time, though, but I assume Demo will have some kind of warning? Even if it's just a hallway that looks a little more important than the rest. Speaking of which, the overall design of Silph Co. seems eerily familiar to the design of the secret base in Celadon. Are we entirely sure this business wasn't just another front for Team Rocket all along?

The teleporters aren't bad either. Most of them either loop with each other in obvious ways, or lead to single, closed rooms. It's in one such room that Demo finds the TM for Take Down. Hah, why do I need a TM to teach that when that's what I'm already doing? It's in another such room that a terrified Silph Co. employee gives Demo the TM for Selfdestruct as thanks. Hah, some thanks, you Team Rocket sleeper cell. At least I know what's getting trashed first should Demo ever need more room in his Bag.

Even as Demo advances through the beginning floors, the levels peak at 33 on teams consisting of one Pokémon. One Scientist who opts for this strategy sends out a Hypno. Phosphorus puts it to sleep and then Scandium takes the kill. It occurs to me that this is Demo's first time doing any serious battling against Trainers with Scandium, but the Charizard gives a fine account of himself with Slash and Fly. In the next room Demo's challenged by a Juggler. First of all, what the heck is he doing here? Second, he leads with a Level 29 Kadabra, who despite being 8 levels lower than Phosphorus, is able to outspeed her and wipe away a third of her health with one Psybeam. Oh man. All I can think about is how much Sabrina's Gym is going to suck. At this rate Demo will be lucky to even get past all her Gym Trainers without suffering any casualties.

By the time the team hits Level 37 across the board, the Awfe fight is still scaring the heck out of me, and Demo's Bag is full. He's also out of mid-tier healing items. He waltzes right back out the front door, hops on Scandium for a ride to Lavender, and buys a ton of Super Potions. He also unloads a few things at the Poké Mart, such as that Selfdestruct TM. The game allows me to sell the PP-restoring items...for $0. That's really dumb, the equivalent of throwing them away, but it's not like I typically use those things anyway. Then it's back to Rocket-infested Saffron City.

Demo has reached a point where it seems the teleporters can't get him any farther. Courtesy of the elevator, he starts back on L2 and makes his way directly up Silph Co floor by floor, scanning everything. I'm mildly surprised that he can go all the way to the top floor right away, but of course it's not that easy; there's nothing there except a blank hallway with one (pathetically weak) Grunt.

This is weird. I swear I haven't missed anything. I can't think of anything to do except run around aimlessly for a while until I spot an item sitting in a hallway where there definitely wasn't one before. Sure enough, it's the Card Key. Now the fun begins. As Demo begins checking out rooms that were previously inaccessible, I almost immediately catch a glimpse of his rival on the other side of a wall. Nope nope nope. Fortunately all my fears of an ambush were unfounded; it looks like Demo gets two tiles' worth of warning in Awfe's chamber.

I resolve to do that last, since I want every shred of experience for Demo's team. There really is a lot of cool stuff just lying around. They're like storerooms which have two or three items all bundled up together, and it does look like there are a couple more Trainers as well. One of the Grunts says that he smells a rat...and then proceeds to send out a Raticate. There's your answer, buddy. One of the Scientists, who walks up to challenge Demo, asks how the man knew he wasn't working for Silph. We, uh, didn't, my guy. Better luck next time. After swiping his Card Key through one particular door, Demo is greeted by a bunch of beds and even a Nurse Joy, who completely restores his team. That incident really makes me wish I remembered more about this place. Could have saved me a trip outside, though I suppose item space would still have been a problem.

It isn't too much longer before I admit that it's time to face Awfe. Half the team is Level 37, half is 38. That's not bad. I already worked out which teleporter leads to Awfe, so Demo drops Sodium in the lead slot and gives it a whirl.

Oh yeah, there's that music. Awfe taunts Democritus about being so slow to get there, apparently not noticing his pockets absolutely bulging with loot, and then demands to see how much stronger his rival has become. Lights, camera, action.

Sandslash is out first, finally evolved from a Sandshrew, but only at Level 35. It has time to do exactly nothing before going down in one hit to a fat Surf. Once Jolteon comes out, Demo will switch to Silicon for that, who can deal with the rest of the team minus Cloyster...or, Awfe could send out Ninetales next. Okay then. This Pokémon has time to use a singular Tail Whip before also going to Davy Jones' Locker and boosting Sodium to Level 38. Then comes Cloyster. Hey, Awfe, you do know I'm doubly weak to Electric, right? Regardless, Sodium has the best matchup on the team against Cloyster, so I'm eager to get this one out of the way.

Cloyster might resist Water, but it has pretty poor Special. Still, a Surf doesn't do nearly as much damage as I'd hoped, slightly less than a third. It fires back with Supersonic. That could be trouble. Sure enough, Sodium hurts herself on the next turn, and I mean really hurts herself because of the Defense drop. Cloyster takes that opportunity to use another Supersonic. I shouldn't feel so irritated that this fight is being handed to me on a platter. Sodium can attack on the next turn; Bite knocks Cloyster under half and flinches it. Another turn, another Bite, and a missed Supersonic. Come ON, dude. Sodium then snaps out of confusion and puts down Cloyster with Surf. Fourth is Kadabra. I'm starting to suspect the rival is coded to always send out his starter last, regardless of matchups. I could have Scandium deal with Kadabra, and he'd likely do a good job with his decent Special for taking a hit and strong physical power. I can't help thinking, though, that something like a crit Psybeam on the switch would put Demo in a really tough spot, so I just leave out Sodium. Kadabra goes first, fails a Disable, and dies to a single, non-crit Bite. Sheesh. After having 80% of his team utterly steamrolled by a dual Water/Flying type, Demo finally sends out his Electric-type Pokémon, who coincidentally is also his strongest. That's your cue, Silicon. The Dugtrio takes a Double Kick on the switch, because of course that was Jolteon's best option against a Gyarados, and is then outsped and takes another one. Even with Silicon's very bad defenses, these two attacks combine for around 60% of his health. Jolteon opts for Pin Missile while its target is underground, and is then OHKO'd by Dig. Go HOME, Awfe.

Maybe I should have known not to worry. Even though the rival had a Pokémon at a higher level than Demo's for the first time in about three fights, that was still laughably easy. He rambles on about going to the Pokémon League to give the Elite Four a drubbing and becoming the world's strongest Trainer. Well guess what, you're not even the strongest Trainer in this room, so pack it up. The teleporter from which Demo just emerged carries Awfe away from Team Rocket and Silph Co.

That leaves Demo free to strike up a conversation with the one other person in the room, a seemingly random Silph Co employee trapped here like the rest. However, then man then presses upon Demo...a Lapras. Wait, what?! Don't I even get a chance to reject this thing?! Looks as though I don't. Dang. Lapras will be going straight to the dead box alongside Carbon and Nitrogen, but I give it a nickname anyway: Deuterium. This is a heavy isotope of hydrogen, and a component of so-called heavy water. Lapras is heavy and a Water-type, so...yeah. Importantly, being an isotope of hydrogen and not an element in and of itself, "deuterium" is not anywhere to be found on the periodic table of the elements.

Received Deuterium the Lapras in Saffron City. :lapras:

The teleporter previously guarded by Awfe leads Demo straight to the 11th floor. Time to go crush Gio....oh? Another familiar track takes over.
I've never played Yellow before, so I can't blame my spotty memory of Blue for not warning me about another ambush by Jessie and James. They lead with Weezing at Level 31. This is child's play after the rival fight. Weezing and Arbok go down easily, but I suppose a Persian might be somewhat tough, due to its high Speed and Attack and STAB Normal moves...and it's still a Meowth. Okay then. Quit wasting my time.

Now Demo can fight Giovanni. The Team Rocket Boss seems almost excited to see him; he explains that Demo will be in a world of pain for interrupting him in the middle of his "business proposition," and that all Pokémon exist for Team Rocket. Seriously, what is this guy on about? If he's trying to do business, but using Pokémon...is he trying to make money with them? Put some gold in his pocket? ...wait. Turning Pokémon, the elements, into...gold? THAT'S IT! Team Rocket...are alchemists!

Having suddenly realized the true nature of his enemy after all this time, Demo is happy to put them in their place. Giovanni leads with Nidorino, against Magnesium. That's not a Ground-type but whatever. The boss wastes his time with a Guard Spec and then spams Focus Energy while Razor Leaf takes it down. Next up is Giovanni's Persian, who receives another Guard Spec on Demo's switch to Scandium. Slash does over half to Persian, but the Normal-type responds with Screech. Uh, that's dangerous. Back to Magnesium, who comfortably eats a Pay Day and finishes things with Razor Leaf. The incoming Rhyhorn can barely blink before Razor Leaf knocks it out as well. Last up is Nidoqueen, and oh boy, she's at Level 41. This is where things get interesting. Magnesium sets up Leech Seed and braces itself to eat a massive...Scratch. Okay then. On the subsequent turn, Giovanni drops his third Guard Spec of the battle, while Razor Leaf slices off half of the Nidoqueen's health. One more Grass move finishes her before she can move again.

That was a nice little stretch of the legs. Unfortunately, Demo's team is now only at Level 38 across the board, and he's running out of criminal syndicates and/or sports clubs to beat up on. I resolve to head back to Fuchsia City and clear out Koga's Gym Trainers, but first, Demo has time for a slight diversion.

While at the Pokémon Center to move Deuterium to the dead box, Demo grabs his Good Rod again and heads to the beach on Route 19. All he could get here by surfing is Tentacool, which there'll be plenty of time for later, but fishing with a Good Rod guarantees Demo something new: 50% chance of Goldeen, 50% chance of Poliwag.

Demo fishes up a fine Level 10 Goldeen. Any of his attacking moves would knock the thing all the way to Johto, but Magnesium is in the lead. He sets up Leech Seed and PoisonPowder, then spams more PoisonPowder while the chip damage drags Goldeen to yellow health. A Great Ball finishes the capture. Naming this thing "Gold" would be pretty lame imo, but since Goldeen and Seaking do have a rather regal theme, I want to choose its name from among the elements known as noble metals. Rhodium jumps out at me, only because Demo caught this Pokémon with a "rod." See what I did there?

Obtained Rhodium the Goldeen on Route 19!

Despite their master's Pokémon topping out at Level 50, none of Koga's followers go higher than 38, which means they aren't too troublesome. However, for whatever dumb reason there are a ton of Psychic-types in here, and those are always something to watch out for. Ironically, it makes Phosphorus in particular quite difficult to train, even though she'll likely be of some use against the Gym Leader.

The Jugglers and Tamers of the Fuchsia City Gym aren't good for many levels. I've put it off for a little while, but I have to face the fact that now all I can do is grind for a while. The best grinding spot available is still Route 17, against Ponyta, Doduo, and Fearow in their upper twenties. Oh boy. If I can just get high enough to beat Koga, several more areas will open up with Surf that should give me an easier time preparing for Sabrina. Time will tell.

Near the beginning of the grind session, when Magnesium is at 39, something funny happens. For perhaps the first time in its metaphorical lifetime, Razor Leaf does not score a critical hit. The wild Ponyta gets off lucky and avoids the two-hit KO. Wonders never cease.

Once everyone hits 40, the next milestone I set for myself is getting everyone to 42. This takes about an hour, and a few small but noteworthy things happen. Demo experiences the 256 glitch twice more, when Curium is using Double Kick and Phosphorus is using Confusion. Demo finds the first wild Dodrio he's ever encounter on this Route, which is taken out by Phosphorus. Magnesium KO's a second one a bit later. The Dodrio take a couple more hits to kill than other things, but frustratingly, they don't give any more EXP than the Fearow or Ponyta. Finally, when Sodium levels up to 41, she attempts to learn Hydro Pump! I had not been thinking about that at all so it came as a very nice surprise. Forgetting Dragon Rage was a little sad, but it was definitely Sodium's worst move at that point.

I decide at this point to go beat all the Trainers in the Saffron Gym. Due to a bit of prior research I know that, similar to the Fuchsia Gym, the Trainers all have Pokémon at much lower levels than they have any right to be compared to the Leader. In addition to the Psychics there are a few Channelers with Ghost-types in here. One of them turns out to be insanely annoying; her first Gastly goes down easily to Phosphorus's Psychic-type attacks. The second Gastly is quickly chipping away at her health with Night Shade, so Demo switches to Magnesium to beat it. The Channeler's final choice is a Level 33 Haunter, and thank goodness Magnesium pulls off a Leech Seed. For a long time I simply cannot hit this Haunter. It uses Confuse Ray and Hypnosis on everything and has superb luck. It's at least eight turns, based on the amount of damage from Leech Seed, before it's finally finished by Silicon's Dig.

Only one other fight from that Gym is worth mentioning. A Psychic explains to Demo that the Saffron Gym is known for its Psychics, before sending out a Level 38 Slowbro. That is the slightest bit scary. I don't want to leave Magnesium out to face that, so Demo substitutes Sodium. Slowbro is bulky and of course resists Water, so even Sodium doesn't do a lot. In that time I see this Slowbro use Water Gun, Headbutt, Withdraw, and Growl...no Psychic moves at all. And after the Trainer was gloating about his psychic power, too. Demo recalls Sodium and has Magnesium finish the battle with a quick Razor Leaf just out of spite.

The Gym fights were good for spreading around some EXP but only one level was gained, by Curium. Back to the grindstone. When Magnesium hits 43 he attempts to learn Growth, and I think about it. Tackle isn't great, and in Gen I Growth raises the Special stat. Since that's SpA and SpD rolled into one this is basically Calm Mind, so I go for it. I'm kind of proud of that until I enter a battle against a Ponyta and immediately realize my mistake. Magnesium's only attacking move is Razor Leaf. Razor Leaf scores a critical hit about 99.5% of the time. In Gen I, crits ignore all stat changes, even positive ones. As things stand, Growth is essentially only good for raising the "Special Defense." Heck. But, I'm stuck with it now, unless I decide to throw on one of the Normal-type TMs.

Once another hour of grinding is up, the team is sitting at Level 44. This is the minimum level at which I'd consider challenging Koga, finally on par with his lowest-leveled Pokémon. However, I don't think banking on the minimum possible effort is a great idea for a Nuzlocke, so...a little more grinding. Almost there. I had thought that by this point the rest of the game might be catching up to Sodium, but man, her stats are still through the roof.

The team grows to Level 45. The closer Demo's Pokémon get to being able to oneshot everything in sight, the lower the likelihood of there being anything interesting to report. Dodrio seem to be showing up more frequently; Demo fought 4 in about half an hour. During a trip back to Celadon City to restore PP, and after a bit of thought on my part, Demo withdraws the TM10 from his PC and uses it to teach Magnesium Double-Edge in place of the poorly-chosen Growth. I understand that it might be a slightly counter-intuitive choice for a Nuzlocke, but this will only be used to clean up what Razor Leaf doesn't finish off, and grinding with just one move was painful. Better to use Double-Edge now than something like Body Slam, which will be safer against late-game opponents should another Pokémon need a better move.

The team grows to Level 46. Scandium learns the coveted Flamethrower at the minor cost of Ember. It's been this way for a couple levels, but Silicon's HP is finally in the triple digits (still not even 2/3 of Sodium's though, haha). I wasn't waiting for those things in particular, but they only reinforce my previous decision that this level would be good enough. I'm done grinding, thanks. Demo takes another leisurely cruise down Cycling Road to Fuchsia City. He's ready to take on Koga.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 46
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 46
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 46
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 46
-Double-Edge
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 46
-Slash
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 46
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

:lapras:
Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl
Fate is a cruel mistress.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Good job on keeping Phosphorus and Silicon alive this long. Admits more surprise at the latter. (Played with Dugtrio far more than Butterfree. Knows its fragility better.)

Definitely would have made that mistake with Growth too. Feels like such an odd mechanic after years of being accustomed to something else.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Deva I've been playing conservatively with Silicon since I know it is quite frail. Butterfree is pretty frail too by now, but its weaknesses aren't very common in Gen I.

I've always appreciated how the invisible walls of the Fuchsia City Gym are completely visible if you look closely enough. They allow Demo to reach the Poisonous Ninja Master and challenge him without any delay.

Phosphorus takes the field against the Level 44 Venonat. I had thought I'd be lucky if Psybeam was a two-hit KO, but to my surprise, the first one Demo orders is good to knock the Venonat into red health. Phosphorus takes a Toxic in return, but takes no damage when she KO's the Venonat next turn thanks to Gen I mechanics. The Level 46 Venonat is next. Phosphorus outspeeds, gets a crit, and knocks it out with just one Psybeam. Still no Toxic damage, looking good. The Level 48 Venonat is still slower, and uses a relatively weak Psychic in between the two Psybeams that finish it. I had been afraid the turn counter for Toxic was still ticking up even though Phosphorus wasn't being damaged, but the first round of poison only steals the initial 1/16th of her health. Time for Venomoth, and the real battle is only just beginning; this thing sits at a cool Level 50. I don't plan to use Phosphorus for any more damage, but I cautiously go for Sleep Powder. However, Koga's finally sent out something that's faster than Demo's Butterfree, and after a Double Team, I'm not surprised when Sleep Powder misses. Time to execute part two of the battle strategy, which is Demo switching to Scandium. Venomoth Double Teams again. Could be bad. However, with Scandium out Demo has the speed advantage again; the Charizard hits his first Flamethrower for about 3/4 of Venomoth's health. Way to go. The damage from the return Psychic doesn't sting nearly as much as the Special drop. However, with how much the first one did I know another Flamethrower will still finish Venomoth, if it hits after two uses of Double Team...which it does! Demo scores victory with only two Pokémon, and neither under half health.

"Humph! You have proven your worth! Here! Take the SoulBadge!"

Democritus received the Soul Badge!

It's been a long time coming, but Demo's finally collected over half of the Gym Badges on his quest to discover all the elements. He also collects the TM for Toxic, which might get some use later. Phosphorus is poisoned, but I don't want to use an Antidote when she's at 87 HP and the Pokémon Center is practically right next door, so Demo merely watches his step on the way to heal up his team.

Ordinarily I would end an update after Demo earns a Badge, but that would be a pretty pathetic update, so for the moment the journey continues. As a sort of victory lap, Demo decides to go for the Fuchsia City encounter he never actually got. There's only one species left here he doesn't have: Poliwag, which comes at a 50% chance with the Good Rod (the other 50% being the Goldeen he already caught). Demo casts his line, and...yes, there it is! A level 10 Poliwag. I go for the same whittling strategy of setting up Leech Seed and PoisonPowder, but this thing must be just below some kind of HP threshold because the percentages are hardly doing anything. It takes a while, but Demo waits until it's below half health before chucking a Great Ball. Cobalt will be this individual's name...because of the association with blue. Cobalt is also in the same group, or column, as rhodium, which I think is pretty cool since Goldeen and Poliwag are found in all the same places and manners in Yellow.

Obtained Cobalt the Poliwag in Fuchsia City!

The last order of business in Fuchsia City is to grab the rest of the loot from the Safari Zone. $500 nets Demo a Nugget, a Max Potion, and a couple minutes burning steps so he can leave. The Nugget is sold right away but of course he'll hold on to the Max Potion. Pleasure doing business with you.

Demo next heads east: the time has come for his Route 13 encounter as well. Hopping on Sodium's back to Surf the coastal waters, Demo is soon greeted by a Slowpoke, the only thing to be found here aside from its own evolved form. For the third weak Water-type in a row, Magnesium runs point, but this time after setting up I switch to Phosphorus and spam Flash for a while, just for fun. After catching Slowpoke, Demo gives it the name Osmium: the densest element. Hopefully the symbolism isn't lost on you.

Obtained Osmium the Slowpoke on Route 13!

Demo keeps Surfing north onto Route 12, as he's finally able to pick up an item lying on an island that's been taunting him since nearly before he beat Lt Surge. It turns out to be TM16, Pay Day. Not a great move, but a nifty one for sure.

The next order of business is to fly to Celadon City for another post-Surf item. Standing next to a little fenced-off house with a pond out front is a person who claims they saw Demo before, but could never speak to him. Does this utter BUFFOON expect me to believe they couldn't yell at most 30 feet across the water? Whatever. Demo is given the TM for Softboiled for his trouble, which might be the single stupidest TM in the game by concept. Chansey already learns Softboiled by level-up, and the only other species that can use the TM is Mew, who isn't really supposed to exist anyway. Another sacrifice for limited Bag space, I suppose.

That turns out to be exactly what happens. Demo deposits the Good Rod, deposits Pay Day, and then can't deposit anything else. Cool. Demo makes a nice $1,000 for unloading Softboiled onto the Poké Mart clerk in Cerulean City, where he flies next.

That should take care of all the small details that beating Koga unlocked for us. Demo makes his way east through Route 9 and onto Route 10. The river will carry him south to the Power Plant, where he can begin training for Sabrina.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 46
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 46
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 46
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 46
-Double-Edge
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 46
-Slash
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 46
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
On the way to the Power Plant, there's actually a Trainer blocking Demo's way. I get the tiniest bit concerned when he announces himself to be a Pokémaniac, since they typically use Slowpoke and Cubone, both of which are great against Curium. However. this one turns out to be different. His whole team, a Rhyhorn and a Lickitung, is weak to Fighting and demolished by Double Kick. I really hate the level curve, though. In order to reach him Demo needed Surf, which he could only obtain by beating a Level 50 boss, but this NPC's Pokémon are at level 30. Good grief.

The Power Plant itself is very little hassle. No Trainers, some items, and fairly straightforward. Demo's encounter is another story. Magnemite and Magneton have a combined spawn rate of 60%, giving Demo less than a coin flip's odds of finding something new. The first wild Pokémon is...a Voltorb! Yes! At level 37, I figure it should be able to withstand a Body Slam. Its HP plummets, and I think that I've blown it...until it stops halfway through the red. Yes!...and then it uses Self-Destruct! No! Damn it. Gah, that's dumb. I realized when I ordered the Body Slam that that could have been a possibility, but there was really nothing Demo could have done about it.

Power Plant encounter failed.

Well, Demo has to put the past behind him and keep making his way deeper into the maze. The wild Pokémon here...don't seem to give a ton of EXP, unfortunately. Definitely more than Route 17 but not a big boost. Oh well. Eventually Demo makes his way to the farthest room, where a Legendary Pokémon awaits him.

Theoretically, Demo could have spammed Repels to reach Zapdos with his encounter intact, and used it. I didn't specify "no legendaries" in the rules, but especially with Electric being as good as it is against the Kanto Elite Four, I don't think that would have been a ton of fun. Still, in my headcanon for this run, Zapdos would be named Lithium (for the batteries), Articuno would be named Helium (super cold as a liquid), and Moltres would be named Hydrogen (highly flammable, lighter than air): the first trio of elements for the first trio of legends. Even if Demo won't catch any of these birds, he won't nickname any other species for those elements either.

The next plan was simply to battle Zapdos for a little fun and knock it out for the experience. After a bit more thought, though, I don't want to do that either. As near as I can figure out, this one won't respawn once it's defeated, even after Demo beats the Elite Four. Nuzlocke or not, a save file is still a save file. If I just leave Zapdos alone for now, I might come back to catch it in the postgame, once the challenge is over, so that I can send it to another cartridge game. Who knows.

Once Demo has made his peace with the Electric Pokémon...there's nothing else to do. The team has grown to level 47, with Silicon picking up the almighty Earthquake in place of Sand-Attack. (I think I may have listed Growl in his moveset for a while, but it was Sand-Attack.) I don't want to bother with the sea routes heading towards Cinnabar Island yet, so...grind time!

Sabrina's level cap is 50, like Koga, but unlike Koga, I'll need some of the team to actually be that high for this fight. Curium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium won't be much help based on their typings and/or stats, and they'll train well against many of the other upcoming battles anyway. Demo will be relying on Silicon, Sodium, and Scandium for defeating the Psychic-type Saffron City Gym, meaning he only has to give three levels apiece to those three Pokémon before he's ready to vanquish his sixth pagan philosopher.

The grinding goes smoothly. Scandium has terrible luck with Thunder Wave and Supersonic from the Magnemite and Magneton, though, and even suffers the 256 glitch once while attempting Strength. Demo has to bail him out with Curium and Hyper Potions a couple times. It isn't too long before the chosen three are at level 50, right on the level cap. Demo has already defeated all of Sabrina's Gym Trainers, so there's nothing else standing between him and her.

The strategy going into the battle is deceptively simple; it has two parts. 1) Pray Silicon can outspeed everything. 2) Pray Silicon can oneshot everything with Earthquake.

Even though my heart is pounding the second Demo teleports into Sabrina's chamber, the opening sequence against Abra goes exactly according to plan. This utter BUFFOON of a Pokémon only knows Teleport and Flash, so not much of a threat to begin with, but I'll take it. Silicon keeps up the momentum against Kadabra, who drops to a speedy Earthquake. And then...Alakazam goes exactly the same way. It's over before I know what happened, without so much as a scratch on Demo's Pokémon. The tensest Gym Leader battle of the game was also the shortest.

"I'm shocked! But a loss is a loss. I admit I didn't work hard enough to win! You earned the MarshBadge!"

Democritus received the Marsh Badge!

The Psywave TM is quickly sold for space and money; even without his bonus prize Demo is walking on air. I was mentally prepared to leave that Gym without Silicon, but it looks like he'll stick around a while longer to continue proving his worth. Now it's back to the wild as we take the sea routes towards Cinnabar Island.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 47
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 47
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 50
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 47
-Double-Edge
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 50
-Slash
-Earthquake
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 50
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
*read Voltorb wncounter*
*its gonna go boom. Yep.* Oh well. An Electrode could have been nice, but I have a feeling its fragility would be more of a hindrance than its worth.

Nice job, man! Great to see 2 battles go so smoothly! I completely forgot Koga had such an...interesting team.
3 Venonat. Koga, I love ya, but...that's dumb.
I know Charizard is fast, but I'm impressed it outsped Alakazam.
If it didnt, that would have been Bad News Bewears.
Thankfully they have the combined defensive prowess of wet toilet paper lol.
Now remember to buy some Burn Heals. Blaine tends to cry if you dont have any.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Gokudera Both of their teams are pretty dumb in Yellow, haha. A bunch of things from the same evolutionary family. It was a Dugtrio who I beat Sabrina with, though, not Charizard. I would have been impressed if Charizard had outsped Alakazam too! And never fear, I have two Burn Heals in my Bag right now. Blaine isn't going to know what hit him.

Water Routes, oh boy. Ordinarily I hate these things, but in Gen I they aren't bad. The encounter rate is a fraction of what it is in later games, and the map itself is about as bare-bones as you can get. Demo cruises back and forth down Route 19, scooping up all the Trainers as he goes. They're annoyingly low leveled, upper twenties and low thirties, but at least it makes them easy for even the Water-weak Curium to fight.

Demo already has his encounter for Route 19, but that's fine. The wild Tentacool at level 5 or level 10 aren't tickling his fancy. Nothing separates this area from the next except for a turn to the west, so once Demo has passed that and judges himself to be on Route 20, the next wild Pokémon to appear will be his.

It's a Tentacool (no surprise there) at level 10. Ugh. Another super-weak Water-type, yippee. It could be worse, it could have been at level 5, but is this all Demo has to work with? I know from experience that even Curium's Poison Sting, far and away the weakest attack on the team, will one-hit KO this thing, so it's Magnesium's Leech Seed to the rescue once more. Phosphorus spams Sleep Powder and Flash to bide time, and a Great Ball from half health does the trick. Demo has one more element at his disposal which is a liquid at room temperature, and this one's known for being poisonous: a perfect match for the species he just caught.

Obtained Mercury the Tentacool on Route 20!

Immediately following the capture of Mercury, the next two Tentacool Demo finds are both at level 35. I hate this game.

Continuing westward along Route 20 is more of the same from Route 19. Only a few more Swimmers and Beauties stand between Demo and the Seafoam Islands. Once he reaches them and assesses the situation, he flies back to Fuchsia City for a pit stop at the Pokémon Center. Curium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium, the three Demo has been using in battle, could do with healing, but there's a far more important reason. Mercury was the twentieth Pokémon to be sent to the current PC box, causing it to reach max capacity. Had Demo not gone back to manually switch the PC to the next box, the game would have outright prevented him from catching more Pokémon. Thanks to this little maneuver, his Seafoam Islands encounter is no longer in jeopardy.

Since the sea routes have already been explored, Demo's free to make a beeline on Sodium straight back to the islands. As a demonstration of the low encounter rate, along all of Route 19 and half of Route 20 Demo was met with only four Tentacool. Once inside the cave, the odds of Demo not running into Zubat, Golbat, or Slowpoke are only 30%. Let's see if he can catch a Krabby anyway.

Demo enters the first cavern, and to my utter surprise, he does in fact find a level 25 Krabby! Phosphorus comes out to use Confusion. I know this Krabby's a few levels lower than the Trainers' Pokémon, but Confusion wasn't close to taking them out in one go, so this should be fine, right?

Wrong. Its health disappears like the player character's father. Not even a crit, just dead. I stare at the screen for a couple minutes in shock. I'm so mad at myself. It's not like Demo needed that Krabby, but it's the thought that counts. The RNG actually tried to be nice to me for a change and this is how I repay it. Good riddance.

Seafoam Islands encounter failed.

The encounter rate here seems bound and determined to make up for all the wild Pokémon Demo avoided on the ocean. He can barely take four steps without fighting something. While fighting a certain Krabby with Magnesium, Razor Leaf misses. I'm curious to see what moves it can use, since every Krabby Demo fought up to that point was actually taken out in one go. This monster proceeds to whip out freaking Guillotine. It was only level 30! I did not see that coming at all so it's a damn good thing the Venusaur was at a much higher level.

At least this dungeon has no Trainers, because the puzzle itself is frustrating enough. As I mentioned before, I don't want to catch or battle any of the Legendary Birds, but I run across Helium the Articuno quite by accident simply while trying to find the exit. That's cool, I guess. While I'm down there, on the lowest level, a wild Zubat appears who's at level 45. I do a double take. The next highest level I'd seen was 36. I have to look it up on Bulbapedia to make sure it's not some kind of glitch, and sure enough, it's possible. A Zubat is still a Zubat, though, and Phosphorus took it out easily.

Once Demo has plumbed the deepest depths of the cavern, it's just a matter of careful backtracking until he finds the proper pathway out. I'm sure I went past it at least five times, but everything looks the same down there. The correct chain of ladders carries Demo straight out to the second of the two Seafoam Islands, on the western half of Route 20. Cinnabar Island still awaits.

The rest of the Route passes uneventfully. As soon as the edge of Cinnabar's shoreline comes into view, Demo pauses. I believe at least a couple of the water tiles technically belong to the island, meaning any Tentacool I run into there would steal my encounter. Demo surfs straight towards the land from that point and makes it safely. Fossil Pokémon, here we come!

I love Cinnabar Island. This bright red is my favorite color, and it has one of my favorite music tracks in the game. At the Pokémon Center, Demo heals his party and goes to the PC to withdraw his Old Amber.

I know it's practically sacrilege not to revive Lord Helix. Trust me, it hurts. But Demo has so many Water-type Pokémon in the PC already and he really doesn't need another. Aerodactyl, on the other hand, as both a Rock-type and a Flying-type, represents something much rarer and potentially more valuable. Demo leaves his Fossil with a scientist in the lab and steps outside to wait. A couple minutes later the process is complete and he receives his Aerodactyl! One of the oldest known elemental half-lives in the universe is that of a certain isotope of xenon. Aerodactyl too is an ancient specimen, and since xenon is one of the noble gases, that corresponds well with a Flying Pokémon.

Obtained Xenon the Aerodactyl on Cinnabar Island!

There's not much else to do on Cinnabar Island. Aside from the Pokémon Center, the Poké Mart, and the lab, there's only the locked Gym and the Pokémon Mansion. Before Demo heads into the Mansion, his seafaring days aren't quite over. I want to wrap up the lower-leveled Route 21 first.

The only new species Demo could encounter here is Staryu: a 30% chance when fishing with a Super Rod. Demo breaks out his tackle on a pier stretching north from the island. His first four casts give him not even a nibble, but on the fifth one a Pokémon is hooked...and it's Staryu! Praise Helix. I learned my lesson against Krabby, so Magnesium sets up Leech Seed and PoisonPowder, then settles down to wait. I'm scared it will use Recover and nullify my progress, but Staryu is content to alternate between Tackle and Water Gun until it's caught. This one will be called Copernicium, an element named for the famous astronomer Copernicus who had a lot to do with outer space and stars, just like Staryu. Due to more technical limitations, this individual's actual name becomes Copernic.m to fit the character limit.

Obtained Copernicium the Staryu on Route 21!

Similarly to its companions, Route 21 is rather minimalist: a straight shot north. You never know what'll be floating around in these waters, as among the Trainers who challenge Demo is a swimming Cue Ball. I did not see that coming. A few fishermen inhabit docks spread throughout the area. One of them has a full team of six Pokémon: the token Magikarp Trainer of the game. After Magnesium shreds his team with Razor Leaf, this utter BUFFOON has the audacity to complain about how weak Magikarp are. Now, these fish were at level 27. If he would just let them evolve, he would be one of the strongest Trainers in Kanto, the poor idiot. Demo continues northward, shaking his head at the lost opportunity.

Courtesy of all the experience from these Trainers, Demo's Pokémon have been slowly but steadily growing in level, and the entire team is caught back up to Level 50. Blaine's level cap is 54, which I don't think I'll be in danger of hitting, but I should remember it nonetheless.

Not too long after all that, the ocean narrows to a small grassy inlet, and Demo hops ashore in Pallet Town. It's a curious feeling as memories of Carbon resurface. Even if Demo's quest isn't over, the journey itself has come full circle. While he's there, he asks Professor Oak in person to rate his Pokédex, and I realize that we've registered a total of 42 species. Nice. That's the answer. I don't want to bother fending off more Tentacool to surf back to Cinnabar, so Scandium Flies Demo there instead.

There are all kinds of cool things waiting for us inside Pokémon Mansion, so I'm excited to see what we get. It turns out to be a Level 26 Grimer. Okay, that's admittedly not the coolest, but it's something. Demo leads off with Magnesium's Razor Leaf, which instantly knocks out the Grimer. Um, what? Did I not learn my lesson from Krabby? And how did that do so much damage when it was resisted? Screw that.

Pokémon Mansion encounter failed.

Whatever, it's fine, it's fine. Since the Seafoam Islands just weren't enough, the game has decided to throw out its second super-high-encounter-rate, multi-floor puzzle since Demo's last badge. Progress is slow, but steady, and reading the journals is fun. The Fire-type-using Burglars have the right idea with this place, as there's lots of loot: several vitamins, and the powerful TMs for SolarBeam and Blizzard. The wild Pokémon here are relatively high-leveled as well, with most of them on the lowest floor being above 40. That's a nice change of pace and the whole team hits Level 51.

Of course, there are a couple points that make me mad as well. On the third floor, when Demo has to jump down to make progress, there are two two possible ledges. He picks the wrong one first, being dumped onto the second floor and having to circle back up. Later, as he's exploring the basement, he steps through what's supposed to be a doorway, and it spits him out through the front door of Pokémon Mansion, entirely on the outside. What the heck? Demo has to make his way completely back through the whole puzzle, though it doesn't take as long since I remember the way and I'm not stopping for items. Still, eventually, he reaches the very back corner of the basement and grabs the Secret Key. I don't understand why a Pokémon Gym, whose whole point is to be visited by tons of Trainers, should need a "secret" key. Whatever. Let's go challenge that Gym.

The Gym Trainers are nothing special. As Demo has come to expect, their Pokémon are on average about 12 levels lower than Blaine's will be, meaning even Phosphorus and Magnesium don't particularly struggle against the numerous Fire-types. The whole point of the Blaine's Gym is that you don't have to fight the Trainers if you don't want to, but I always do anyway, because why not? A little extra EXP never hurt.

Once they've all been dealt with, a couple Pokémon have grown to Level 52, so Demo spends just a bit of time grinding in the basement of Pokémon Mansion to bring everyone up to that same spot. Sodium, when she grows to that level, attempts to learn Hyper Beam. Demo considers it, because Hyper Beam is certainly way better in this Generation than in any other, but he decides that Sodium's movepool is fine the way it is. All her current moves are useful enough. With that, the training is done. Demo's already well stocked up on healing items, so we are cleared for Blaine, folks.

"Hah! You better have Burn Heal!" With that iconic line, the seventh challenge to Demo's new philosophy begins. Immediately I'm confused, because Blaine only appears to have three Pokémon, rather than the four I was expecting. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that his team is different, since most of the other leaders have changed as well. Scandium is out to face Blaine's Level 48 Ninetales. Okay, he definitely didn't have one of those in Blue. Scandium goes first and lands a Slash for over half health, while Ninetales retaliates with Confuse Ray. This might not be good. In spite of my doubt, Scandium pulls through next turn to finish the foe with another Slash.

Next out is a Rapidash at Level 50. Weird levels but better than facing three Pokémon at Level 54, I suppose. This is where things stop going so well. Scandium hits himself twice and is also hit by two Take Downs from Rapidash. This leaves him at about a quarter of his health. Demo recalls Scandium in favor of Sodium, who gets into battle completely unharmed thanks to Rapidash's third Take Down missing. Sodium goes first and blasts it with Surf for a one-hit KO. Last out is a Level 54 Arcanine. That's more like what I was expecting from Blaine. What I expect from Sodium is another one-hit KO, this time courtesy of Hydro Pump, and she delivers. Piece of cake.

"I've burnt out! You have earned the VolcanoBadge!"

Democritus received the Volcano Badge!

Not a single Fire-type attack was used the whole battle. Nice. Blaine also bestows the TM for Fire Blast, the ultimate Fire-type technique, and warns Demo not to waste it on Water-type Pokémon. Ironically, I just kicked his butt with a Water-type who can learn Fire Blast. I almost teach it to Sodium right then and there for the laughs before my common sense kicks in.

One more Badge left to go. Demo's on the road...to Viridian City!

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 52
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 52
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 52
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 52
-Double-Edge
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 52
-Slash
-Earthquake
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 52
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Mercury (Tentacool)
Level 10
-Acid
-Supersonic

Xenon (Aerodactyl)
Level 30
-Wing Attack
-Agility

Copernicium (Copernic.m, Staryu)
Level 20
-Tackle
-Water Gun

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Viridian City: the Gateway to Indigo Plateau. Since Demo already traveled along Route 21, there's next to nothing for him to actually do before proceeding immediately to the next Gym. While Demo technically hasn't had his Viridian City encounter yet, he's already caught all the species that can be found in the city's pond. So, encounter failed?

Speaking of ponds, though, there is one little thing left to find. The opposite bank is blocked off by Cut, but since Demo hasn't been here since his Pokémon became able to use Cut and Surf, he's never been over that way. A man standing there passes Demo the TM for Dream Eater. Of course, Phosphorus, the one Pokémon on Demo's team who can put opponents to sleep, can't use the TM in this Generation, but I'll hang on to it anyway. Who knows.

That's really it. The Viridian City Gym Leader has finally returned and the Gym is unlocked, so Demo heads to the north of town to check it out.

The Gym guide claims that even he doesn't know the Leader's true identity. How interesting. He's standing right next to this pair of statues which say that the Leader's name is Giovanni. Is this utter BUFFOON completely illiterate? Did he never attend the Trainers' School? Maybe he just meant that he doesn't know anything about this person, which I guess Demo can relate with. If only we knew someone important named Giovanni, right?

For a Ground-type Gym, there isn't an overwhelming number of Ground-types to be found here. The Trainers are a mix of male Cooltrainers, Black Belts, and Tamers. Despite being weak to Ground herself, Curium does just fine. The Rhyhorn are weak to Double Kick and don't have any Ground moves. She resists Fighting and Poison. The one thing that might be a threat, a Dugtrio, isn't even Level 40 and gets Body Slammed into oblivion before it can move. Fighting all the Trainers allows her and Phosphorus to each gain a level. Since I'm rather OCD about this sort of thing, we then take time off to allow the other four to grow to the same level before taking on Giovanni. Pokémon Mansion is still the best grinding spot for now, so that's where Demo goes. Since the level cap for Giovanni is one higher than it is for Blaine, it only makes sense that the challenger's team should grow one level in between.

Or does it? I think the Giovanni fight will be tougher than the Blaine fight, so maybe Demo's team should grow proportionally more in the interim. Once the whole party is at 53, Demo digs his stash of Rare Candies out of the PC: a total of eleven. One round lets all of his Pokémon grow another level, to 54. It's time for Demo to earn his eighth and final Badge by defeating the Viridian City Gym Leader.

At the end of the small maze guarded by Trainers, Demo finds his opponent. It's truly none other than Giovanni, the leader of Team Rocket. He gloats that this is where he will resurrect his cult of alchemists and proclaims himself the greatest Trainer. Now there's no holding back.

The first matchup is Magnesium versus a Level 50 Dugtrio. As with the other times Demo has fought him, Giovanni has a habit of making himself a much easier opponent than he needs to be thanks to wasting lots of turns using X items. True to form, rather than taking a chance on outspeeding Magnesium, he drops a Guard Spec on a Pokémon who is instantly decimated by Razor Leaf. Fine by me. Next is Persian at Level 53, no longer his strongest Pokémon. It goes first and lands a nasty Slash. This thing is only one level lower than Demo's Pokémon, so I'm concerned about the possibility of dying in two hits, but it does about 40%, while Razor Leaf does 2/3 to Persian. I'm prepared to heal or switch Magnesium next turn, but again, Giovanni blunders with a Guard Spec. Persian goes down. Giovanni's own Nidoqueen at Level 53 is next. Demo orders a Leech Seed to get some health back and cushion a potential switch-in, but Giovanni drops his third Guard Spec. Razor Leaf drops Nidoqueen to low health while it merely Tail Whips. It too goes down next turn, followed up with Nidoking.

It's interesting that Nidoking is at Level 55 since I know Giovanni's ace is Rhydon. He might actually have a team that's weighted toward the higher end of its level range. Neat. Magnesium repeats his Leech Seed while Nidoking goes for Leer. Now, I thought Demo's Pokémon could handle a Thrash or an Earthquake at -1 Defense, but -2 is another story. It's a bit risky but he switches out to Silicon while Nidoking opts for yet another Leer. Gotta love Gen I AI. The possibility of damage must be more tempting than damage itself. Silicon absolutely cannot use Dig since the majority of Giovanni's team knows Earthquake, but Silicon's own speedy Earthquake annihilates Nidoking. Last is just Rhydon. It doesn't get to move once before Silicon's Earthquake ends the battle with a crit. I don't know if that was necessary for the one-hit KO, but it makes a fine statement nonetheless.

"Ha! That was a truly intense fight! You have won! As proof, here is the EarthBadge!"

Democritus received the Earth Badge!

Giovanni's reward is the TM for Fissure, which he explains that he himself made long ago. This man truly is knowledgeable about Pokémon and a skilled Trainer. It's a shame he chose to dedicate himself to such a twisted, fruitless path. As if reading Demo's mind, he announces that he will disband Team Rocket and devote himself to the study of Pokémon, before mysteriously disappearing. One great challenge to Demo's new philosophy of the elements has been removed...but there's still the matter of Awfe.

Demo isn't ever going to put that TM to good use, so he sells it in addition to healing his Pokémon at the Center. The Gym of the Gateway to Indigo Plateau has been taken care of, so now it's time for Demo to make his way to Indigo Plateau itself.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 54
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 54
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 54
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 54
-Double-Edge
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 54
-Slash
-Earthquake
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 54
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Mercury (Tentacool)
Level 10
-Acid
-Supersonic

Xenon (Aerodactyl)
Level 30
-Wing Attack
-Agility

Level 20
-Tackle
-Water Gun

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Snaking westward along Route 22 is a hit of nostalgia. This is Curium's home, the place where Demo made teh first capture of his journey. The experience is made even more familiar by none other than Awfe meeting Demo along the way. The brash rival insists that we battle him as a warmup for the Pokémon League, and that's fine with Demo.

The fight itself is barely memorable, as Awfe's levels are lower than Giovanni's or even Blaine's. Phosphorus destroys Sandslash with two Psybeams. Exeggcute charges up a SolarBeam against Scandium, which would have been pathetic even if it managed to hit, but the Grass-type can't handle a single Fly. Scandium stays in versus Ninetales, who at 45 is three levels lower than the last Ninetales Scandium beat, and he also puts down Cloyster with a pair of Flamethrowers and Kadabra with a single Slash. For Jolteon, Demo sends out Curium. Silicon might have been a better choice, but I want the symbolism of Demo's oldest surviving Pokémon taking down Awfe's oldest Pokémon. At 54, Curium is one level higher, and although she takes a decent chunk of damage from repeated hits of Pin Missile, she easily beats Jolteon with two Body Slams and a Poison Sting. Awfe wails, makes excuses, and eventually scoots off in the direction of Route 23. Demo's still heading the same way, so maybe the two will run into each other again.

I always think it's neat to go through the Badge Check Gates in Kanto, since this route essentially doesn't exist in the Johto games. They even contain patches of grass, which give Demo the chance for an encounter here. He runs across exactly what I was hoping he would get, a Mankey! After so many times missing this on Route 22 and in northern Kanto, it feels good to finally catch one of these. Mankey are known for being violent and angry, and I remember one element from chemistry class which is known for a rather violent reaction with water.

Obtained Francium the Mankey on Route 23!

At the end of the path, Demo finds a door leading into the mountainside. This is it, Victory Road.

Somehow I almost forget about my encounter here. Demo runs around a bit without seeing any wild Pokémon, and only remembers when he finds a Geodude. Oh well, there goes that. He only had a 10% chance of finding Onix, the one new thing here, and that wouldn't have been super useful. It's a bit frustrating, though, when the very next encounter is an Onix.

Victory Road encounter failed.

No new species can be found at Indigo Plateau, so that's all the encounters Demo is able to find for this run. From now on, the only elements at his disposal are the ones he already has.

The first floor of Kanto's Victory Road is pretty simple. One of the Trainers has a team of four; the first three are all the middle forms of the Kanto starters, while the last one is a Charizard! It was only level 42 and easily defeated, but it sure took me by surprise. In a battle against a wild Onix, Phosphorus was out front, but I wasn't concerned because she'd beaten several Onix already due to their horrendous Special. However, this one hung on through a Confusion and sent back Rock Throw. I got the worst sinking feeling I'd had on this run in a while, because the Butterfree's HP bar dropped fast, but it ended up only doing around 1/3 of her health. Still, it wasn't comfortable.

Before even making it to the second level, Demo did run into a notable setback. A Strength puzzle in one corner of the cavern is set up so that only one of two items can be accessed at a time. I knew the boulders would reset if I left the cave, but I didn't want to walk all the way to the entrance and deal with wild Pokémon, so Demo used an Escape Rope. Much to my surprise and annoyance, it sent him all the way back to the last Pokémon Center he had used, in Viridian City. In Yellow, Victory Road is not a Fly location, so Demo had to walk all the way back. Fortunately it didn't take too long, and once he re-solved all the Strength puzzles up to that point and grabbed the second item, he was ready to progress.

The maze aspect of Victory Road isn't too bad. Demo figures it all out pretty well, even swinging by the area where Hydrogen the Moltres is roosting. We'll get him another time. The Trainers don't have Pokémon at a super high level, only in the early to mid 40s, but they still seem to hit pretty hard. Hopefully this isn't what the rest of the League will be like. After Demo beats one of them, the utter BUFFOON remarks that all the Trainers in Victory Road are heading for the Pokémon League. If that's the case, and they can't even put up a fight against Demo, then "all the Trainers in Victory Road" are going to get their asses handed to them. There are a few close calls against wild Pokémon, involving things like Explosion and Earthquake, but everyone makes it through alive in the end. When Magnesium and Scandium reach level 55, they attempt to learn Sleep Powder and Fire Spin, respectively, but neither of those are better than the moves they already have.

Before long, Demo is out. He's reached Indigo Plateau, the Pokémon League HQ and the pinnacle of Trainerdom. After healing at the Pokémon Center, Demo begins preparations in earnest. His team are at levels 55 and 56, but that won't be good enough. Figuring out a level cap to aim for is tricky here. Lorelei's ace is at 56, which is unrealistically low in my opinion, while Awfe's ace will be at level 65, which is unrealistically high. I settle on aiming for Lance, the last and strongest of the Elite Four, whose ace is at level 62. I don't think I'll get all the way there, similar to most of the level caps so far, but it at least gives me something concrete to plan around.

Since grinding will continue a bit longer, one of the first things Demo does is retrieve TM21 Mega Drain from the PC, to teach Phosphorus in place of Confusion. It's a bit sad to give up the move that's been with her practically since the beginning, but Psybeam is stronger, and this Grass-type attack will make training in a place brimming with Rock- and Ground-types so much easier. Speaking of which, I'm a bit worried about grinding with Scandium in there, but it turns out my fears are unfounded. Geodude, Graveler, and Onix have such low Special that Flamethrower, even resisted, consistently one-hit KOs them.

Once the team is at 56 across the board, Demo doles out his stash of Vitamins. There are six HP Ups, one for each. Phosphorus, Magnesium, and Sodium each receive a Calcium to boost their Special while Curium, Silicon, and Scandium receive an Iron to boost Defense. The two Proteins go one apiece to Curium and Silicon, while the remaining four Pokémon are each meant to get one of four Carbos. To my surprise, the vitamin says it will have no effect on Sodium, so Silicon gets that as well. Hopefully the Dugtrio can make better use of the Speed than the Gyarados would have.

I think taking the Pokémon League challenge at level 58 will be reasonable. That's one more level's worth of grinding followed by a round of Demo's last six Rare Candies. Let's do it.

The grinding goes smoothly, minus one heart attack moment. Scandium is already rather low on health when an Onix inexplicably survives a Flamethrower. Its Rock Throw leaves Scandium with just 10 HP. Thank goodness Onix's stats are terrible. Otherwise, everyone's in good shape. Putting Mega Drain on Phosphorus was a good idea here.

After that, Demo uses Rare Candies to elevate everyone to level 58, then buffs them a bit with strong TMs. Scandium, Silicon, and Phosphorus are fine as they are. Magnesium receives Rest and Toxic in place of Double-Edge and PoisonPowder. Curium receives Ice Beam and Earthquake in place of Growl and Poison Sting. Sodium receives Blizzard and Thunderbolt in place of Bite and Water Gun. I debated getting rid of Hydro Pump and keeping Bite, since It's a shame not to be making use of her gigantic physical Attack, but the coverage and power of these moves will hopefully be more important in the long run. I debate giving Silicon Rock Slide in place of one of his Ground-type moves, but they both have relatively low PP, and Silicon will be able to do all he needs to with just them and Slash.

Finally, Demo loads up on items. He buys several Full Restores, Max Potions, and Full Heals, then quickly travels to Cinnabar Island for some Hyper Potions since Indigo Plateau doesn't sell them. Then...that's it. Game on, Pokémon League.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 58
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 58
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Mega Drain

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 58
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 58
-Rest
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 58
-Slash
-Earthquake
-Dig
-Cut

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 58
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Mercury (Tentacool)
Level 10
-Acid
-Supersonic

Xenon (Aerodactyl)
Level 30
-Wing Attack
-Agility

Level 20
-Tackle
-Water Gun

Francium (Mankey)
Level 26
-Leer
-Low Kick
-Karate Chop
-Fury Swipes

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Last edited:

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Whoa, that's a pretty long rope if it took you back all the way to Viridian City!

It's great to see the team all leveled-up and ready to take on the League, especially with several members going all the way back!
I definitely think teaching Sodium Blizzard and Thunderbolt over Bite was the right thing to do. After all, because this is before gen 4, Bite goes off of her much less gigantic Special stat as well. I was a little surprised when you didn't go for Fire Spin on Charizard though. Weren't trapping moves like Fire Spin super busted in gen 1?

Either way, it seems like you're headed for a grand victory on your first challenge! Best of luck defeating the Pokemon League!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf Prior to the introduction of the Dark-type in Generation II, Bite was classed as a Normal-type move, meaning it uses Sodium's Attack stat. Otherwise you're exactly right. As for Fire Spin, it's true that trapping moves were busted compared to what they became in later Gens, but 15 power and 70 accuracy versus 95 power and 100 accuracy make Flamethrower a lot more reliable in practice. I obviously couldn't give up Fly or Strength and I didn't want to give up Slash, so no Fire Spin for Scandium. Thanks for wishing me luck defeating the League. I certainly needed whatever I could get.

First up is Lorelei. This is honestly the fight that concerns me the most out of the entire Elite Four, since Demo's team has a terrible matchup against Ice. Only the Champion fight might be harder.

Demo's first choice is Magnesium, while Lorelei sends out Dewgong. One Razor Leaf knocks it out. Next is Cloyster. One Razor Leaf knocks out that as well. Next is Slowbro, and this is where things go downhill fast.

Magnesium's Razor Leaf misses, and Slowbro takes the opportunity to set up Amnesia. This move is completely broken in Gen I; it raises the Special stat by two stages, which is basically a double Calm Mind. This wouldn't be a problem in Red and Blue, where Slowbro's only Special move is Water Gun, but in Yellow it has both Surf and Psychic. I admit, I sort of go into panic mode here, and I make so many dumb decisions that could have changed how things turn out, compounded by dealing with strange Gen I mechanics.

My first thought is that I'll have to win this through chip damage, so Magnesium sets up Leech Seed. Slowbro goes for another Amnesia, and at that point I know I'm losing something. I'm such an idiot because Razor Leaf would have crit, ignored the boosts, and maybe taken out Slowbro. Still, I don't see it as entirely hopeless, because once I get off Toxic that will stack with Leech Seed and kill Slowbro really quickly. Then Toxic misses too. Magnesium doesn't stand a chance against a +4 Psychic.

Lost Magnesium the Venusaur :venusaur:

Okay, okay. Ugh. Not a lot can face this, but Sodium has good Special and a super-effective Thunderbolt. Demo sends her out, but Thunderbolt only does around a third of Slowbro's health. The return Psychic pushes Sodium down to only half health, but it also drops her Special. Damn it all. It won't be pretty, but I can maybe survive by spamming Hyper Potions until Leech Seed pushes Slowbro into Thunderbolt range. That goes out the window when Slowbro uses its third Amnesia while Sodium heals. I have to go for broke and use Thunderbolt, but that still doesn't come close to getting the knockout as a Psychic drops Sodium all the way from full health.

Lost Sodium the Gyarados :gyarados:

Slowbro has around 1/3 of its health left. I'll need a physical attack to finish it, and the strongest physical attacks on the team come from Silicon. This is where I make another crippling, panic-induced bad call. STAB Earthquake has an effective power of 150 while critical Slash is 140. All my brain thinks about is the power of a critical hit, though, and Demo calls for Slash. Slowbro hangs on with a tiny sliver of health. Earthquake most likely would have killed, or I could have even used Dig, which has the same power in Gen I, to stall for more turns of Leech Seed. Surf blows Silicon to kingdom come.

Lost Silicon the Dugtrio :dugtrio:

It has to be Scandium next. Slash finally puts Slowbro in the ground. Next is Jynx. Fire doesn't resist Ice in Gen I, meaning Scandium could still be in trouble here, but thankfully Flamethrower knocks it out in one go. Last is Lorelei's Lapras, another big hurdle. It's neutral to Flamethrower and has massive special bulk so Demo doesn't even bother with that. Slash takes off maybe 40% of its health, while Hydro Pump does 75% to Scandium. I cannot risk switching to Curium or Phosphorus and putting one of them in the way of Lapras' STAB attacks, so it'll have to be healing items to the rescue again. Lapras alternates between Hydro Pump and Blizzard; surely one of them will miss before Lapras gets a critical hit. Then I can finish it off in two turns.

Surely not. Three Hyper Potions in, a crit Hydro Pump wipes out all of Scandium's HP.

Lost Scandium the Charizard :charizard:

It's all up to Curium. She can do it. She outspeeds Lapras and Earthquake does enough that another one will KO. Blizzard does about the same to Curium as it did to Scandium, leaving her with a quarter of her health, but it doesn't freeze. One more Earthquake defeats the first member of the Elite Four. I'm so mad that it wasn't even one of Lorelei's Ice-type Pokémon that nearly did me in. Of course it would be a Psychic-type. And there's still the matter of Awfe's Alakazam.

Demo did not expect to be down to a third of a team this early into his challenge, but he's not giving up. He still has an Ice-type move to get past Lance, along with Sleep Powder and Flash shenanigans. Demo heals Curium and proceeds to the next room.

I always expected Bruno to be the easiest of these five Trainers, and fortunately, HE at least goes exactly according to plan. It's Phosphorus all the way. The first Onix is oneshot by Mega Drain. Hitmonchan is oneshot by Psybeam. Hitmonlee is oneshot by Psybeam. The second Onix is oneshot by Mega Drain. Machamp puts up slightly more of a fight. Psybeam pushes it into the yellow, while its Strength does less than half to Phosphorus. Another Psybeam knocks it out.

They said Demo was crazy for bringing a Butterfree to the Pokémon League. They said he could never do it. Look how wrong they were. A quick Hyper Potion and we're ready to go for the next fight. I think Agatha is going to be a wild card, the most interesting of the Elite Four. The Ground and Psychic attacks at Demo's disposal should do very well against her array of Poison-types, but 90% of the battle is going to come down to Agatha's luck with sleep and confusion.

In the end it goes pretty damn well. Agatha's first Gengar is faster than Curium; it chooses to spam Substitute three times in a row, wasting valuable Earthquake PP, so that's annoying. Once at low health it uses a weak Mega Drain and is quickly finished off. Next is Golbat, who is outsped and knocked into the red by an Ice Beam...which freezes it! There's a stroke of luck. I take the opportunity to heal off the chip damage on Curium, then I go for Double Kick. It actually takes three to defeat the Golbat due to the double resistance, but Curium won't be getting any other use out of that move and it has gobs of PP.

The Haunter and the Arbok are both outsped as well and crushed by Earthquake. Then it's just the last Gengar, and I'm expecting this thing to be nasty thanks to all its Psychic attacks. To my surprise it goes for Confuse Ray, which of course is also dangerous. I've got my fingers crossed that Curium can pull through...and she does! One Earthquake is all it takes, and Agatha is behind us. Curium even grows to Level 59 from the experience points. The fight did leave Demo's Pokémon with just one remaining use of Earthquake, so that could be problematic, but everything else is looking good as Demo goes to face Lance the dragon master. Ironically, I think Lance's hardest Pokémon will be Gyarados, one that's not even Dragon-type. Sodium was supposed to come in and wreck this, but so much for that. It'll be up to Phosphorus.

Hot damn, this one was a roller coaster. As planned, Phosphorus takes the field against Gyarados. She goes first, lands a Sleep Powder, and starts whacking away with Psybeam. It hardly does anything, but fortunately Gyarados stays asleep awhile. It wakes up with around 1/3 of its health left, but Phosphorus succeeds in putting it right back to sleep and knocking out a few turns later. The experience boosts Phosphorus to level 59 as well. Altogether it took six Psybeams to kill this thing. I am so, so glad Gen I bosses don't heal when they should.

The first of two Dragonair is the one with Electric-type attacks, so that should be a safe enough switch to Curium. She gets hit with Hyper Beam instead but it doesn't do a ton of damage. It recharges while Curium's Ice Beam knocks it to red health. Lance then uses a Hyper Potion, but a critical hit Ice Beam one-hit KOs it after that. Maybe Demo is getting some of Lorelei's luck, eh? The second Dragonair is similarly weakened by Ice Beam and retaliates with BubbleBeam. A stupid choice, since it could have used its own Ice Beam for a lot more damage, but I'll take it. Double Kick finishes it and Aerodactyl comes out. Demo takes the opportunity against this relatively weak opponent to heal Curium with a Hyper Potion. The Fossil Pokémon uses a pathetically weak Swift that turn and then another one while Curium oneshots it with Ice Beam.

A Level 62 Dragonite is the only thing between Demo and the Champion. Somewhat to my surprise, Curium goes first. I'm hopeful that Ice Beam will knock it out right then and there: it could almost take out the Dragonair, and Dragonite is twice as weak to it as they are. I guess Dragonite must be a whole lot bulkier, though, because it hangs on with about as much health as its unevolved brethren had. Then, to my continued surprise, Lance drops a Hyper Potion after Curium's attack, ending the turn right where we started. No matter, I'll just do it again. And then Ice Beam misses.

I got hit with the 256 glitch versus Lance's Dragonite. I HATE this game. If I lose this run I'm going to hunt down the utter BUFFOON of a programmer who did this and make him pay.

Dragonite fires back with Blizzard, which leaves Curium at just 35 HP. You've got to be kidding me. I know Phosphorus can likely come in and finish this up, but there's no way I'm beating the game without Curium. Demo needs her. He orders one last Ice Beam...and it's a critical hit, knocking out Lance's Dragonite in one go. I'm stunned.

I thought I was toast after the Lorelei fight, but Curium the Nidoqueen and Phosphorus the Butterfree, the two Pokémon who have been by Demo's side longer than anyone, are still with him, and they're still fighting. Maybe I can actually do this. Demo is only one victory away from completing his quest and bringing his science to the world. Is it even possible at this point? There's only one way to find out.

Standing in the Champion's Room of Indigo Plateau is none other than our rival, Awfe. Representing the old order of air, water, fire, and earth, he's been a perpetual thorn in Demo's side. If Democritus wins, the whole world will acknowledge the truth of his vision: a world made of atoms and elements.

The battle begins as I know it will: Phosphorus versus Sandslash. Demo's Pokémon goes first and lands Mega Drain for around 40%; Sandslash lands Poison Sting for about 20%. Another Mega Drain heals off all that damage, only for it to be inflicted again by one more Poison Sting before Mega Drain takes out Sandslash. Then it's Alakazam, arguably the most dangerous thing on Awfe's team despite being the lowest in level, at 59. Phosphorus takes a massive Psychic for half her health and a Special drop before putting Alakazam to sleep. Demo recalls her for Curium. Alakazam wakes up the next turn, but it's too late to do anything as Curium's last PP of Earthquake oneshots it. The crit was welcome, if perhaps not necessary.

I couldn't have dreamed that that sequence would go any better, but the battle isn't over. Next is Exeggutor, to whom Ice Beam does a little less than half. Exeggutor uses Hypnosis, so Demo wakes up Curium with the Poké Flute he still has in his Bag. That happens a couple turns in a row until Hypnosis eventually misses and Curium can launch one more Ice Beam. That's the last one of those as well. Exeggutor responds with its dreaded Leech Seed, but Curium knocks it out next turn with Body Slam and grows to Level 60.

After that it's Cloyster. Somehow I didn't think this would be much of a pain, even though both Demo's remaining Pokémon are weak to Ice, and I was wrong. Curium's super-effective Double Kick, even with a critical hit, doesn't even do half, while Cloyster responds with a Clamp which does a ton of damage for its low power. There's no way I can beat Cloyster with that and Leech Seed chipping away, so Demo switches to Phosphorus. She gets knocked to very low health by an Aurora Beam. Demo drops a Hyper Potion and another Aurora Beam puts Phosphorus just above half. Mega Drain doesn't do as much damage as I'd hoped, about a third of Cloyster's health, and doesn't heal Phosphorus by much either. She could have withstood another Aurora Beam, but not the Ice Beam Cloyster selects instead.

Lost Phosphorus the Butterfree :butterfree:

Well, Demo is down to his last Pokémon, one who happens to be weak to both Water and Ice and has no usable STAB. Still, if anyone can do this, it's Curium. I heal her up to full as Cloyster uses Ice Beam. Then I heal her again. At this point I'm not concerned about how cheap it is to spam healing items. I don't have a clause about that in the rules. I'm just doing whatever I possibly can to win. Next Cloyster opts for Aurora Beam, which does less than half. Curium has exactly 200 total HP at this point, which makes number crunching easier. She should be able to live another Ice Beam. I think so. I hope so.

Curium uses Double Kick, which leaves Cloyster with just a bit of health. Awfe's Pokémon uses Ice Beam once again. Down, down, down...Curium survives with 6 HP. One pixel of the bar. The next Double Kick knocks out Cloyster, and out comes Ninetales. Demo heals while the Fire-type uses Confuse Ray. Could be a problem. Curium then proceeds to hit herself in confusion 4 times in a row. Ninetales takes that time to use some Tail Whips, causing Curium to hurt herself even more, and Fire Spin. I don't mind Fire Spin too much because it does a lot less damage than confusion recoil. After another Hyper Potion or two, Curium finally snaps out of it and lands a Body Slam for 40%. Ninetales uses another Tail Whip next turn, for a total of three, and then gets paralyzed by Body Slam. Double Kick ends it.

Awfe sends out his starter Pokémon last. His Level 65 Jolteon versus Demo's Level 60 Nidoqueen. I smile. This is the fight Curium's been itching for all along: the one I know she can win. Demo orders Body Slam. I cannot for the life of me understand how Curium goes first, but she does. My guess is that it's some glitchy Gen I holdover of the speed reduction that came with Ninetales' paralysis. Body Slam does well over half. Jolteon fires back Pin Missile, which is a critical hit. Ironically, since Curium is at -3 Defense and Gen I ignores stat drops with critical hits, each strike does slightly less damage than a non-crit would have done. It only hits twice anyhow, for barely a quarter of Curium's HP. She outspeeds Jolteon again on the next turn, and knocks out the Champion's last Pokémon with Body Slam.

All hail Queen Curium. The first, and the last.

Democritus is the new Champion. Zeus himself, under the guise of Professor Oak, arrives to congratulate him on his victory and scold Awfe for his backwards, inferior philosophy. He then takes Democritus to the Hall of Fame, so that his name and his deeds may be recorded for posterity. The people have learned, and will always remember, what makes a world.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 60
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Chlorine (Gastly)
Level 25
-Lick
-Confuse Ray
-Night Shade

Lead (Snorlax)
Level 30
-Headbutt
-Amnesia
-Rest

Promethium (Ponyta)
Level 30
-Ember
-Tail Whip

Neptunium (Seadra)
Level 25
-Bubble
-SmokeScreen
-Leer

Neon (Venonat)
Level 24
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion
-PoisonPowder

Oganesson (Dratini)
Level 10
-Wrap
-Leer
-Thunder Wave

Seaborgium (Hitmonlee)
Level 30
-Double Kick
-Meditate

Rhodium (Goldeen)
Level 10
-Peck
-Tail Whip

Cobalt (Poliwag)
Level 10
-Bubble

Osmium (Slowpoke)
Level 15
-Confusion

Mercury (Tentacool)
Level 10
-Acid
-Supersonic

Xenon (Aerodactyl)
Level 30
-Wing Attack
-Agility

Level 20
-Tackle
-Water Gun

Francium (Mankey)
Level 26
-Leer
-Low Kick
-Karate Chop
-Fury Swipes

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 32
-Wing Attack
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Deuterium (Lapras)
Level 15
-Water Gun
-Growl

Magnesium (Venusaur)
Level 58
-Rest
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf
Killed by a boosted Psychic from Lorelei's Slowbro

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 58
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt
Killed by a boosted Psychic from Lorelei's Slowbro

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 58
-Slash
-Earthquake
-Dig
-Cut
Killed by a boosted Surf from Lorelei's Slowbro

Scandium (Charizard)
Level 58
-Slash
-Fly
-Flamethrower
-Strength
Killed by a critical hit Hydro Pump from Lorelei's Lapras

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 59
-Flash
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Mega Drain
Killed by an Ice Beam from the Champion's Cloyster

My first challenge came about as close to the wire as it could, but ultimately ended in success! There were definitely a couple moments of pain and sadness, but that's what this is all about, and it made the good times that much better. I absolutely had a blast doing this challenge and it's inspired me to try some more in the future. To all those who stuck with me through the updates, thank you, and to anyone who might read this challenge later, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Until next time.

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Spoilered this in case of people scrolling down slightly too far. Ruins the suspense.

Wondered if you could still win after Lorelei. Pulled off quite a reversal. Accomplished a lot with Phosphorus :butterfree: in particular. Would have counted that as a victory as sorts, even if Awfe had prevailed. (Might have too, without the crucial Sleep Powders.)

Cannot downplay Curium's :nidoqueen: role this update and throughout the challenge either, though. Named them after the wrong element, in hindsight. 86'd a lot of Pokémon for atomic element #96.

Good luck on your next challenge. Hopes for one as enjoyable as this.