AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
"Hello there! Welcome to the world of Pokémon...This world is inhabited by creatures called Pokémon...!"

I've been a Pokémon fan for a long time: maybe not as long as some, but 9 years is decent. However, in all that time I've never done a challenge...until now! Welcome to my Nuzlocke of Pokémon Yellow! It will be just a standard Nuzlocke, yes, but I've got to start somewhere. Speaking of which, let's have a look at the rules.

• Any Pokémon which faints is considered dead, will be permanently boxed, and cannot be used again.
  • I may catch only the first Pokémon encountered in each area. Gift Pokémon count towards this. I will be allowed to do in-game trades as long as I can legally obtain the required Pokémon. Trade evolutions are a non-issue because I have nothing to trade with.
  • I must nickname all of my Pokémon. The naming theme for this challenge will be elements of the periodic table.
  • Battle style will be Set.
  • No starter-ID or Shiny Pokémon clauses since this is Yellow.
  • Again, since it's Yellow with a limited number of Pokémon, I'll give myself six total uses of the Dupes clause throughout the run, including for things of the same evolutionary line. I can choose how many it's worth to go through at one time.
  • I'll do the best I can to fit HMs onto my team without any slaves, but if I absolutely have nothing that can learn a required HM (Cut, Surf, Strength) I'm allowed to catch something to get me through the game.
  • I'm going to treat the Safari Zone as one big area. I can only catch one Pokémon here, and I have to make a good-faith effort to try and catch everything I encounter, but I'm allowed to keep going for as long as I need to catch something.
  • I will be playing with Gym Leader level caps, which can be found here.
  • The run is over once I enter the Hall of Fame, or fails if I entirely run out of Pokémon.
  • As long as I still have usable Pokémon in my Boxes, the run won't be over if I black out and lose all 6 on hand.
  • This is my first challenge, so if I forgot anything I'll make a note of that in the run and add it here. This won't be abused if I can help it.
Dupes Clause used: 6/6 times, no more available.

Route 1: Encounter Failed
Route 2: Nitrogen the Pidgey -> Pidgeotto
Route 3: Boron the Spearow
Route 4: Sodium the Magikarp -> Gyarados
Route 5: Fluorine the Rattata
Route 6: Encounter Failed
Route 7: Encounter Failed
Route 8: Encounter Failed
Route 9: Mendelevium the Nidoran♂
Route 10: Copper the Magnemite
Route 11: Encounter Failed
Route 12: Neptunium the Seadra
Route 13:
Route 14: Encounter Failed
Route 15: Neon the Venonat
Route 16: Lead the Snorlax
Route 17: Promethium the Ponyta
Route 18: Encounter Failed
Route 19:
Route 20:
Route 21:
Route 22: Curium the Nidoran♀ -> Nidorina -> Nidoqueen
Route 23:
Route 24: Scandium the Charmander -> Charmeleon -> Charizard
Route 25: Germanium the Oddish
Pallet Town: Carbon the Pikachu
Cerulean City: Magnesium the Bulbasaur -> Ivysaur -> Venusaur
Vermilion City: Bromine the Squirtle
Celadon City: Bismuth the Eevee
Fuchsia City:
Saffron City:
Cinnabar Island:
Viridian City:
Viridian Forest: Phosphorus the Caterpie -> Metapod -> Butterfree
Mt. Moon: Titanium the Geodude
Rock Tunnel: Iron the Zubat
Power Plant:
Pokémon Tower: Chlorine the Gastly
Diglett's Cave: Silicon the Diglett -> Dugtrio
Safari Zone: Oganesson the Dratini
Seafoam Islands:
Pokémon Mansion:
Victory Road:
Indigo Plateau:

That's all there is to it, so let's begin!

My name is Democritus. I'm a Greek natural philosopher: a scientist. For hundreds, or thousands, of years, everyone has believed the entire world is made up of just four elements: air, water, fire, and earth. You can't find them, you can't hold them, but everything we know is a great collection of recipes with four ingredients. Well, I don't believe that. There must be more: some smallest unit, the basic building block of the universe, something just as real as you or me: the atom. And since there are so many different kinds of matter, there must be many different kinds of atoms. I'm going on a quest to find them, and to show all the doubters that my way is superior to their arcane mysticism. I'm going to find...what makes a world.

Last edited:

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
This is a really interesting premise.
Here's hoping for a good run :)

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
I commend your commitment in playing on if you should black out, let's hope it won't come to that though!
Best of luck on your challenge!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Gokudera You and me both. I hadn't intended for this run to be too heavy on the story so I hope that's not a problem :/
@Calaf I feel like that's more of a mercy rule to myself than anything. Maybe my inexperience has a painful lesson coming if I have to go through with that.

I fire up the game and click through the World of Pokémon introduction. When it comes time to name myself, I realize I'm an idiot and the character naming interface is shorter than I thought. Thus, our hero Democritus is named...Demo. Then I have to remind Oak what his punk grandson is called. How does this guy have a 10-year-old grandson when he's canonically 47 in Yellow? Two generations of starting early, I guess. Anyhow, the rival's name is Awfe; this is an acronym for Air, Water, Fire, and Earth, since he represents the old order by being a constant thorn in Demo's side. It has the additional benefit of sounding something like "awful," matching his personality.

Once that's out of the way and Demo shrinks down to avatar size, he grabs the Potion out of the PC and emerges into the world. I start by heading north just to see what will happen if I try to leave town with no Pokémon, only to realize that this is what I was supposed to do. Demo watches Oak catch his future Pikachu and gets dragged along to the lab. Awfe, of course, shows up uninvited and shoves Demo out of the way, robbing him of a sweet Eevee. As a consolation prize, Demo gets the untamed Pikachu from before. I name it Carbon. Carbon is as ubiquitous in organic chemistry as Pikachu is in the franchise. Also, carbon is the backbone of many molecules and I'm hoping Pikachu can be the backbone of this team, at least for now.

Obtained Carbon the Pikachu in Pallet Town!

Checking out my Pikachu, it knows ThunderShock and Growl. Not sure what else I expected.

Awfe then suggests we have a battle, the poor sucker. Hopefully this first rival battle is a good sign for the way the rest of this challenge will go. Demo's Pikachu needs three ThunderShocks to KO Awfe's Eevee. The first one is a crit, the second inflicts paralysis, and the third is another crit. With its demise assured, Eevee can only scream and writhe (and use Tail Whip), and Pikachu escapes unscathed. It levels up and learns Tail Whip in the process.

After that it's time to leave. I stress for a while about missing Poké Balls somewhere and violating the challenge, but eventually admit there's nothing I can do and book it north to Viridian City. I avoid knocking out any of the encounters, as I don't want to get too strong yet and make it hard to catch my first viable encounter. Once Demo gets the Parcel, delivers the Parcel, makes it back to Viridian, interrupts the old man, and buys Poké Balls, it's finally time to get this show on the road in earnest. He hops back into the grass on Route 1 and finds...

A Lvl 2 Pidgey. Damn.

There's no way ThunderShock won't kill this thing. Demo bought 5 Poké Balls and throws 3 at an unharmed Pidgey, while I pray for the best. No dice. All I can do is maybe hope for the lowest of low rolls while Demo orders a ThunderShock from Carbon.

The bird is instantly fried, and it's a crit too. Remember what I said about a good omen? To heck with that.

Route 1 encounter failed.

There's no way Demo is ready for the second rival battle with only a Lvl 6 Pikachu in tow, so it's time for him to edge his way onto Route 22 just long enough to see if we can get a new teammate.

Behold! A (very) moderate success. In the first patch of grass he steps on, Demo finds a Lvl 2 Nidoran-Female. ThunderShock knocks it into the yellow and a single Poké Ball does the trick. She receives the name Curium, after an element which was itself named for a female scientist. Unfortunately she only knows Growl and Tackle. I was reaaaaaaally hoping for something with a Fighting attack and/or something strong, but it's better than nothing.

Obtained Curium the Nidoran♀ on Route 22!

Two little mouse Pokémon together? Eh, I ship it.

Once that's done with, Demo heads back to town, heals up, and swings by the Poké Mart again for a couple more Poké Balls. While he's there, the utter BUFFOON also takes the liberty of buying 5 Antidotes. I know we'll need a couple of those eventually, but hopefully not ALL of them, and money doesn't grow on trees! Especially not in Gen I, sheesh.

All stocked up again, Demo trains Carbon and Curium for one level apiece back on Route 1, and then marches boldly north to see what can be seen and catch what can be caught on Route 2.

I forgot how barren this place is in Gen I, before Cut lets me get to the eastern side. No Trainers, no items, only one patch of grass. Demo gets all the way to the Viridian Forest gate without stepping into grass, but that's not what we're here for just yet. Readying myself for another tense battle, Demo makes for the grass. For the second Route in a row, the first grass tile he steps on yields a Nidoran♀.

What a stupid game.

Demo really needs an encounter here, so I take a gamble on using one of my shots of Dupes Clause. The second encounter is a Lvl 3 Pidgey, and this time Demo has more than just Electric-type attacks at his disposal. It's showtime. This battle is actually quite tricky, because Curium isn't strong enough on her own yet to weaken the Pidgey and survive. Demo has to switch out to Carbon to use a Potion, and gets off a couple Growls too. Then it's back to Curium for the home stretch, and the Pidgey is caught! It's named Nitrogen: the most common element in the atmosphere for the most common thing in Kanto's skies.

Obtained Nitrogen the Pidgey on Route 2!

Demo decides to stay and train a bit on Route 2, even though the whole team is weakened, and that's where I get my first real scare. He runs into a Lvl 5 Pidgey next, which Curium definitely can't handle. So he goes to Carbon, who immediately eats a Gust and gets knocked down to 2 HP. Carbon has to be faster, so it's time for a ThunderShock...which doesn't KO. My life flashes before my eyes. This run is toast. And then the Pidgey uses Sand-Attack. Cue sigh of relief. I'm sure as hell not rolling those dice, so Demo gets the heck out of there and books it back to Viridian City. Before I consider taking on the Forest, or Awfe, we'll be grinding a bit more in some place relatively safe.

After further research it has come to my attention that both Nidoran species learn Double Kick at the same level anyways. Not saying a Mankey still wouldn't have been nice, but I am more content with my Route 22 capture now.

Anyone, one pit stop for grinding later, the whole team is at Lvl 8 and they've each picked up a new move in the process. That's good enough to take on Awfe at last, and so Demo ventures over to get the full Route 22 experience.

Awfe shows up right on cue, and once he's finished mocking Demo for something he himself hasn't accomplished either, the rivals start their battle. I know he'll lead with Spearow, so Demo starts off with Carbon. The Spearow is down in 2 ThunderShocks, with only a Growl to show for it. Next up is Eevee, whom Demo immediately Thunder Waves. Then it's a battle of status moves. Carbon executes one Tail Whip and two Growls before the Sand-Attacks from Eevee really stack up, then it's on to Curium. Scratch makes her both slightly stronger and slightly more reliable compared to Tackle, but Eevee's only down to half health once she too starts missing more than hitting, courtesy of Sand-Attack. It's up to Nitrogen to finish things off, which he does easily with two solid Gusts. Carbon grows to Lvl 9 in the process and just like that, Demo has triumphed over Awfe. The rival whines a bit before leaving us in peace.

I consider staying on Route 22 to train a bit more, but I figure there'll be plenty of opportunities for that in Viridian Forest, and I'm going to run afoul of the level cap if I'm not careful. For Brock in Yellow it's only 12, unlike 14 for the other Gen I games. Demo hits up the Pokémon Center and the Poké Mart one more time before making his way to the gates of the forest.

Viridian Forest, here we go. First order of business for Demo is to secure his encounter, and there are three ways this could go. By far the least likely is that I find a Pidgeotto. If that were to happen I would ignore dupes clause and catch it anyway, because an evolved Pokémon at this point in the game would be very nice. Second, I could catch a Caterpie or Metapod. The first would be preferable for having an actual attacking move, but either one results in Demo with a Butterfree and that's fine.

The third scenario, the undesirable one, would be Pidgey. So of course Demo immediately proceeds to run into two Pidgey. Ugh. I really want a Butterfree for Brock, so I'm willing to blow two shots of Dupes Clause. I'm trying not to feel bad about burning through them so quickly at the start of the game because this is when I need to flesh out my team with as much as I can get. Hopefully dupes clause will become less important as time goes on and more options become available. Hopefully.

Anyhow, when the RNG has mercy on us, Demo finds a nice Lvl 4 Caterpie who is nicknamed Phosphorus. I don't have a nifty explanation for this one. Maybe it's something to do with the debilitating, colorful powders scattered from a Butterfree's wings. Maybe she just looks like a Phosphorus.

Obtained Phosphorus the Caterpie in Viridian Forest!

With Demo's fourth teammate in tow, the trip through the rest of the forest is relatively uneventful. Phosphorus evolves into a Metapod on the way! Metapod's moveset was changed from Red and Blue so that it now gets Harden upon evolving, as opposed to not at all after being a Caterpie. That's handy.

There's nothing eventful on the short stretch of Route 2 after the forest, so Demo knocks around Pewter City for a bit and heals up his team. Then it's back to the metaphorical grindstone. I want to make sure Curium has Double Kick, and Phosphorus evolves into Butterfree and learns Confusion, before entering the Pewter Gym. With the best moves Demo could hope for at that point, he should be all set to clean up Brock's Gym Trainers before taking on the Rock-Solid Pokémon Trainer himself.

Heh, I forgot Brock only has one Gym Trainer this time. He goes down easily and Demo starts his training in earnest. That all goes according to plan; once the heavy hitters Curium and Phosphorus hit level 12, and the Growl squad Carbon and Nitrogen are 11, Demo waltzes into the Gym a second time and goes straight to the back.

Brock's Geodude only knows Tackle, so this part is straightforward. Carbon uses three Growls to soften it up for Curium, who comes out and scores a clean two-hit KO. Set mode means she has to stay on to fight Onix; she uses her own Growl twice while Onix sticks with Tackle. Despite its appearance Onix is actually quite weak; even a crit only does 5 or 6 damage. An experimental Double Kick doesn't do as much as I'd hoped, so it's time for Phosphorus to take the stage. Brock's timing is perfect, as he uses the turn I switch out to begin a Bide. That gives me plenty of warning to burn those turns with String Shot and Harden. I use Confusion, which will evidently be another two-hit KO, and Onix uses Bind. This is what I was most scared about entering this fight, because of how wonky trapping moves are in Gen I. Fortunately it's still very weak, and this one only lasts for the minimum duration of two turns. Brock's ace goes down to one more Confusion and Curium gains a level from the split experience.

"I took you for granted. As proof of your victory, here's the Boulder Badge!"

Democritus received the Boulder Badge!

As a bonus Demo gets the TM for Bide (straight to the PC) and the ability to use Flash outside of battle. I'm glad this HM I definitely already have is no longer useless to me.

That's all there is to Pewter City, so Demo now turns his steps eastward. I'm not particularly looking forward to Mt. Moon, but that's a problem for the next update! See you!

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 11
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Thunder Wave

Curium (Nidoran♀)
Level 13
-Growl
-Tackle
-Scratch
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgey)
Level 11
-Gust
-Sand Attack

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 12
-Tackle
-String Shot
-Harden
-Confusion
None yet
None yet

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
I'm not sure Onix would've been so easy to take out with Curium alone, so I definitely think using those instances of Dupes Clause was a good call. It's always good to have some team variety early on so you don't get blindsided completely by a single mon.

Anyway, your first challenge is off to a good start! Let's hope Mt. Moon and Misty go just as smoothly!

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I think using 2 dupes clauses thisnearly isn't that bad. Like you said, it helps flesh out the team. A Nidoqueen and Butterfree can be really helpful.
Good job getting the first badge. Thats a big hurdle in Yellow.
Niw you have Bide! The best Rock move!
Huzzah!

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
Ooh, last year I was planning to do a Pokémon Red nuzlocke, but never got to it. I hope this one goes well for you.
I like your naming theme for the Pokémon, very cool. And those dupes were worth it, it would be impossible otherwise. Keep goin man!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf @Gokudera I'm glad you were thinking along the same lines as me. I do believe Curium could've done the job against Brock, but there's also no real reason for me not to have a Butterfree and she's doing great so far.
@juiccbox Hey, I hope it goes well too. I'm not someone who usually nicknames their Pokémon, but that part of the challenge has been a real blast so far!
As I was working on the Cascade Badge post it felt like it was getting a bit too long and clunky, so I decided to break it into two parts. I hope you all enjoy the update; it probably won't be the last time I do this.
Democritus has discovered four elements and begun experimenting with their uses. He has also swayed the first of many leaders of rival schools of thought to his cause. But Awfe is still out there, plotting and scheming, and so our hero's journey continues.

Route 3, as anyone vaguely familiar with the Kanto games will know, is basically just a long gauntlet of Trainers. And they're...kinda tough. The level curve here seems to be a lot steeper than I would have expected; some of these nobodies are almost as much of an obstacle as Brock, with their freakishly-hard-hitting Rattata. Meanwhile, Curium and Phosphorus are turning into the stars of this team and I love it. Demo beats all but three of the Trainers before his four Pokémon are starting to seriously run out of steam, so he backtracks real quick to the Pewter Pokémon Center. Sorry, guys, this is my first Nuzlocke and I'm playing as safe as I can. I purposefully stay out of all the grass for reasons we'll get to in a bit. But that can be explained after we cover how Demo fought the devil itself.

The last Trainer before Mt Moon was a Lass, whose only Pokémon was a Lvl 14 Jigglypuff. High enough to give me pause right there, but then I saw it. I mean, look at this thing! It's demonic!
It put Curium to sleep with Sing and she stayed that way for seven turns, which I'm pretty sure is the maximum. It ought to be, anyway.

Once Demo composed himself after his brush with the underworld, only a short trek remained to the Mt. Moon Pokémon Center. This is where my dilemma began. You see, I knew I wanted Demo to buy the Magikarp from the Magikarp salesman here. However, I couldn't figure out whether that spot specifically belonged to Route 3 or Route 4. Whichever it was, the Magikarp would fill my encounter for that area, being a "gift" Pokémon. I ultimately think it counts as Route 4. When I looked up the Routes online I learned that, in Yellow at least, both places have the same set of encounter data. The levels might have been different but the species and percentages were identical. So, regardless of where the Magikarp was from, Demo would still have a chance to catch something that could be found on either route. Secure in that knowledge, Demo was free to do some business.

Obtained Sodium the Magikarp on Route 4!

The Magikarp was named Sodium because you can bet there will be salt: either from me, trying to train this thing, or from my enemies once it evolves.

He then proceeds out onto Route 3 to pick up that encounter. He finds...a Lvl 8 Spearow. Damn. That's the one thing I didn't want. Rattata are at least really powerful at this point in the game, and Sandshrew or Mankey would have provided additional type coverage, but I already have a Normal/Flying type on my team. Moreover, this thing is at the lowest level they come on this route. I seem to be having really bad luck with encounters so far.

A Pokémon is a Pokémon, though. Thunder Wave followed by Quick Attack from Carbon make this an easy capture. I have to admit, I feel kind of bad about the nickname: Boron. A relatively useless element, and a "boring" find. Oh well.

Obtained Boron the Spearow on Route 3!

I suppose one redeeming factor is that I actually have a Flying attack now, since Gust is dumb in these games.

Demo switch-trains Sodium for a few levels before I get sick of that (already) and Boron nabs a couple as well, enough for him to get Leer. Sodium will be dead weight until at least right before Misty, but I might as well try to get some use out of Boron as long as he's around. There's something comforting about having a full team of Pokémon, even if a third of them aren't exactly battle-ready.

Demo pulls the rest of his team up to about the level-14 mark; Carbon and Nitrogen both learn Quick Attack along the way and Phosphorus learns PoisonPowder. Nice to have some other options on them. Then Demo buys an Escape Rope and as many more Potions as he can afford, and takes a deep breath for the plunge into Mt. Moon.

Or so you thought. The Mt. Moon encounter will be the first time Demo has to use his PC boxes, so I nip back into the Center to set the PC to Box 2. Box 1 will be reserved for our honored dead. There are 20 spaces in the first box; if I need more than that...I'll have much bigger problems.

Okay, where were we. Time for Demo to meet his Zu...oh? A Geodude? Well how about that. I was so ready to hit that 75% chance of Zubat that I already had a name picked out, but it seems the RNG has decided to have a bit of fun with us. I struggled for a decent name and finally christened this Lvl 10 Geodude Titanium, which has something of a reputation for being hard and relatively indestructible. For now, Titanium is shipped off to the PC as our first Btec Boy. Drop a like if you get the reference.

Obtained Titanium the Geodude in Mt. Moon!

With a backup in the PC and his quest much farther from failure than it was just a few moments ago, Demo continues through Mt. Moon. The Zubat are actually pretty decent training, since it isn't hard to work around one move with 20 base power and no STAB; they're not even a match for Boron. Demo clears out the whole main level first of items and Trainers, which leads to us backtracking nearly to the entrance. With a Pokémon Center only a few steps away, only a buffoon wouldn't make use of that, so after a nice pit stop it's Mt. Moon round 2.

For now I'm sinking all the EXP I can into Curium. She evolves at Lvl 16, and an evolved Pokémon's stats paired with Double Kick are my best shot against the Raticate grunt I know is lurking down here somewhere. A battle against a Hiker does the trick, and Curium evolves into a Nidorina! Demo picks up a Moon Stone just a minute or two later and I have a thought which leads to a flurry of internet searches. Curium learns Poison Sting at 19 and doesn't get anything past that I can't live without...Demo could have a Nidoqueen by the time he challenges Misty! Misty, who uses Water-type Pokémon, with Nidoqueen, who gains the Ground-type upon evolving...okay. Hang onto that thought for later. It'll be fun against Lt. Surge at least.

There are three paths leading deeper from the main level of Mt. Moon; Demo heads to the deepest one first. After a bit of running around it becomes apparent that this is the correct path, the one that leads out of the mountain. This frustrates me because it means I'll have to backtrack to find everything; I sure can call 'em. I've played Blue before but I don't really remember this stuff in detail. Along the way Demo fights two people who say they're part of Team Rocket. What could be their goal? I wonder if they'll become important later?

Meanwhile, Demo's other fighters are playing catch-up after Curium's EXP dash. Carbon forgoes Double Team (too much luck for my taste) and Phosphorus replaces Tackle, String Shot, and Harden one by one with the full complement of special-condition powders. I was iffy on learning Sleep Powder, since I thought paralysis would almost always be more useful and it meant losing Harden, but it immediately proved its worth against the Super Nerd guarding the Fossils. Go Phosphorus. Demo avoids collecting a Fossil for now since I don't want to trigger the Jessie and James fight yet; instead he turns his steps back into the cave.

I'm beginning to feel even worse about Boron's name; that was cruel. He's pulling his weight just fine against these Zubat with Peck. Perhaps he can redeem this name and rise above the hand dealt to him.

The other paths in Mt. Moon yield nothing but dead ends with a couple Team Rocket Grunts and a couple items. I'm confident enough in Demo's levels that Sodium gets a bit more switch-training action. On the bottom levels he also runs into one or two Paras, which Boron does a good job fighting until a high-level one hits him with Stun Spore. There go any more chances of him being used for now. Demo has a couple Parlyz Heals, but I don't want to use one on something I'm not jazzed about sending into battle in the first place. Still, things go smoothly enough (I can now say with confidence that Sleep Powder is a god-tier move and I can't believe I ever doubted it) and before too long I return to the Fossils.

There's no real choice to be made here. Praise Helix.

The Super Nerd takes the other Fossil and Demo traipses over to the end of the passageway, only to be stopped by two curious characters. They don't look like any Team Rocket members Demo's seen so far, but that's what they claim to be. "Surrender now or prepare to fight!" one of them warns. Well, Demo's spent his whole journey thus far not surrendering, and he's certainly capable of fighting.

Demo leads with Sodium against Ekans for a bit of EXP and makes a clean switch to Nitrogen, who is mildly annoyed by Wrap but does the job with Gust. Meowth comes out next. I didn't fully think about how annoying it is to switch-train with Set mode, but I'm stuck with it now. Meowth turns out to be the scariest thing in this whole cave. It hits hard with STAB on Bite, and Nitrogen is knocked into the red. It's no Raticate, but this is Curium's time to shine. She's slower than Meowth and doesn't get a one-hit KO with Double Kick, so I still worry about flinches or crits, but it all turns out okay in the end. Last out is Koffing, at Level 14 like the rest, which presents me with something else I have to think carefully about. My best chance of killing it is Phosphorus's Confusion, but as a Bug-type she's weak to Poison in this game. What to do. As the first move here Demo sends out Sodium, who can at least take a hit even if she can't fight back. On the next turn he bites the bullet and calls out Phosphorus. The most I have to worry about here is Smog, which is weak and inaccurate and coming from something that isn't known for being a powerhouse. A Smog connects on the switch...and it poisons Phosphorus. Even so, Smog and poison damage only amount to a few hit points apiece; my Pokémon is faster and can get a two-hit KO. My eyes are glued to the HP bar, but this BUFFOON of a Koffing misses its next Smog and faints the turn after that. Phew. I'm now really grateful Demo bought those Antidotes after all, because this far from a Pokémon Center the poison could have turned nasty.

The two Rocketeers disappear in a hurry once they're beat, and Demo emerges into the sweet sunlight of eastern Route 4. I guess there was no Team Rocket Grunt with a high-level Raticate this time around after all.

I know this will become a one-way trip at some point, so Demo looks around very carefully for all the items before proceeding down the last ledges into Cerulean City.

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 16
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Curium (Nidorina)
Level 16
-Growl
-Tackle
-Scratch
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgey)
Level 16
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 16
-PoisonPowder
-Stun Spore
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Magikarp)
Level 12
-Splash

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle
None yet

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Don't worry about using Pokemon Centers. Keep everyone healthy. Gotta be cautious in a Nuzlocke. Especially in your first one.
Generation 1 was not kind to the Puff family.
Those eyes are demonic, but Wigglytuff's eyes are bigger than its stomach in Blue/Red. Literally.

I completely forgot Generation 1 had such different weaknesses/resistances. They make even less sense.

Here's hoping Misty's gym isn't too bad. :)

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Gokudera The type chart giveth, and the type chart taketh away. Weird to think that something like a Bulbasaur is 4x weak to Bug, but at least there aren't many of those moves. And Misty's Gym...yeah, about that...

We left off last time with Demo making the semi-permanent transition from the western to the eastern half of northern Kanto. Now, the city of bursting water awaits. Grinding could be a challenge with the lower areas inaccessible, but at least there's this one patch at the end of Route 4 with Route-3 level stuff.

In town, of course, Demo makes a beeline for the Pokémon Center. He then sets about exploring the town, careful to avoid going to Nugget Bridge where Awfe is lying in wait. I realize he can't actually get to part of the city for now since Officer Jenny is blocking the robbed house and Demo can't use Cut, but that's fine. Demo picks up the Rare Candy hiding in some dude's backyard and then, more importantly, finds the home of a lady who's looking to unload a Bulbasaur. Yes, please! This is the Cerulean City encounter, and it's a good one. One of the key elements in chlorophyll is magnesium, and so that becomes this plant Pokémon's name.

Obtained Magnesium the Bulbasaur in Cerulean City!

Demo receives him at Level 10, which is somewhat disappointing but definitely workable. There's no way he's not training a solid Grass-type Pokémon right before a Water-type Gym, but since the team is already full, that means someone will have to leave. And by now...you can probably guess who it will be.

Farewell, Boron the Spearow. I like to think...we put our differences aside before we parted ways. And who knows? Maybe someday...I'll call upon your services again.

Now it's time for Demo to focus on preparing for his next confrontation with his ideological rival Awfe. We're not going to concern ourselves with Magnesium just yet, but I want the four veterans at level 17. That's not far away at all, so Demo takes it slow and drops Sodium in the top spot while he runs around like a madman at the eastern end of Route 4. The preparations take just long enough that I start to get impatient, and Sodium gets to...Level 13. Phew. Dumb fish.

Demo heads to the Pokémon Center and then to the north of town, cracking his knuckles all the way. Awfe appears, heading the other way, and brags about how strong and smart his Pokémon are before challenging his rival to a battle. Let's go. Sodium's still out first to face the Spearow, but gets switched to Carbon right away, who takes a Growl. It's ThunderShock, Peck, ThunderShock, and Spearow faints. Easy peasy, but looking at the damage dealt by a resisted Peck, I should be real glad the Spearow isn't as smart as Awfe thinks and didn't go for Fury Attack. Maybe I got luckier than I deserved.

After that it's his Sandshrew versus Demo's Phosphorus. The Butterfree manages to land a PoisonPowder in spite of Sand-Attacks, but it's soon apparent she won't be able to get any more traction. Demo switches Sodium in and out to reset, and while Sandshrew's Scratches sting a bit, Phosphorus cleans up shop with Confusion. I get a bit of a scare when Rattata pulls out a Hyper Fang, but it's hastily dispatched by Curium's Double Kick. That just leaves Eevee, who continues to be an absolute pain in the butt. Maybe not the most threatening thing Awfe has, but certainly the most difficult to defeat. Now it has all of Tail Whip, Growl, and Sand-Attack to mess with Demo, while its Tackle isn't too shabby. As told by the split experience, a total of four Pokémon were out against Eevee at various times before it went down to Nitrogen's Quick Attack.

Awfe, despite having just lost, still manages to get in some bragging before leaving, this time about the rare Pokémon he saw at Bill's house. Whatever. That fight's out of the way, and now Demo can look forward to all the EXP coming his way from the myriad Trainers who populate Routes 24 and 25.

SO. MUCH. EXPERIENCE. This is glorious. Nitrogen reaches level 18 somewhere in the middle of Nugget Bridge and evolves into a Pidgeotto! Perhaps even more impressively, Sodium grows to Level 15 and learns Tackle! It's still not like she can fight, or anything, but this is a huge symbolic milestone. At the end of the bridge, Demo is confronted by a man who turns out to be a disguised recruiter for Team Rocket. He says that his organization uses Pokémon for evil. Pokémon...for evil? How can the elements be used that way? Demo accepts the offered Nugget and then whips him in battle, but is left to ponder his words.

We're not quite done with Route 24 yet. As for the matter of Demo's encounter in this new area, at the northern end of the Route he finds a poor novice Trainer down on his luck. This guy has come to the unfortunate conclusion that he is incapable of properly raising his Charmander. Well, I know just what to do about that: have Demo raise it! Charmander is an orange Fire-type, and scandium is an element known to give an orange color in a flame test, so that becomes its name.

Obtained Scandium the Charmander on Route 24!

It occurs to me that this is actually the first Fire-type Demo has found on his journey, but despite that perk Scandium will take up residence in the PC. This encounter and the next play out very similarly to the Routes 3 and 4 scenario, in that I choose a gift Pokémon as my encounter from one of two Routes with nearly identical encounter data. There's nothing here I'm dying to get, but Demo isn't about to pass up the chance to make another friend, so he hustles to the one patch of grass on Route 25.

Carbon is the battler of choice here due to Thunder Wave, and Demo is met by a Level 12 Oddish. A Venonat might have been cool since Demo just got a Grass/Poison type, but this is fine. However, this dumb BUFFOON of a plant then proceeds to start absolutely murdering Carbon. It's six levels lower and its Absorb is doing more than ThunderShock. I mean, that's what Quick Attack is for, but come on. The Oddish battles Carbon from full health nearly into the red before being secured inside a Poké Ball. It's nicknamed Germanium for no other reason than that this element sounds incredibly similar to "geranium," a type of flower. Germanium the geranium. Yippee.

Obtained Germanium the Oddish on Route 25!

That should be it for new encounters until after Misty, but Demo has plenty to work with. As he makes his way farther along Route 25, Magnesium's training begins in earnest. He rockets along in levels, learning Vine Whip at 13 just in time to take on a Hiker and his posse of Geodude single-handedly. However, this stretch of Trainers isn't all fun and games. Rattata who are now high enough in levels to have Hyper Fang continue to plague Demo. My biggest scare comes close to the end, facing a Youngster whose only Pokémon is a Lvl 17 Slowpoke. I get that it's a Psychic-type, but somehow that doesn't really click for me until Demo sends in Curium and shes loses half her HP bar from one Confusion. Oops. It falls to Carbon to do the battling, and more than once he comes within critical hit range of fainting before I can heal him.

Demo winds up fresh out of Potions after that, but ultimately he makes it through with everyone still alive. Furthermore, Magnesium hits magic level 16 and evolves into Ivysaur! I'm still thinking of him as the baby of the team, but it occurs to me that now he's nearly as powerful as everyone else, especially with starter-Pokémon stats. This evolution and Nitrogen's happen within about 20 minutes of each other in real time, so it begins to feel like a real power trip, and Demo approaches Bill's house in high spirits.

It's funny to watch Carbon run around with a confused look on his face inside Bill's house. Once Demo has returned the Pokémaniac to his normal, human form, he's rewarded with the SS Ticket as thanks. Huh. I was hoping there'd be a bit more than that.

Demo takes the shortcut back to Cerulean City, where to my surprise I see that Officer Jenny has shifted position. Cool, time to see the rest of the city. The no-good thief is still loitering in the backyard of the house he robbed, so Demo takes it upon himself to serve justice. To no one's suprise, it's a member of Team Rocket, and he leads with a Machop at Level 17. I should be glad it doesn't get STAB on its Karate Chop in this game, but it hits decently hard. After that it's a Level 17 Drowzee, and this thing is dangerous. It's like that Slowpoke all over again. Gah, the Psychic-type really is stupid in Gen I.

Demo's left with the TM for Dig, which the owner suddenly doesn't want anymore. It's like Stockholm syndrome in reverse, oh well. I'm excited for to see what's in the rest of Cerulean City, but it turns out to be not much. All that's left here now...is the Cerulean Gym.

Misty's two Gym Trainers are quickly dispatched, though Goldeen having Peck when Demo is trying to use Magnesium isn't fun. Then it's back to Route 25 for the pre-Leader warmup. I decide that Level 19 should be good enough for the team, and Sodium struggles up to 18 alongside them. Phosphorus gives up on learning Supersonic and Curium gets Poison Sting. Finally, a STAB move, even though it's still her weakest attack.

Demo leads with Sodium against Misty's Staryu and swaps in Carbon against a Tackle. A ThunderShock does just barely half, in exchange for Water Gun. Man, Carbon is so frail it's unreal, but he's faster than Staryu and should be able to take another Water Gun. That being the case I go for Quick Attack so as to avoid catching Staryu at low health. To my surprise, Misty drops an X Defend. Alright, fine. Quick Attack does its job anyway and Staryu goes down on the next turn.

Then it's Starmie, and the real fight begins. I want to use Thunder Wave, but judging from Staryu's Water Gun I know Carbon doesn't have that in him. So, Demo goes to Magnesium to fire off a Leech Seed. Of course, as I'm switching Misty uses another X Defend, so I feel pretty dumb about that. After the Leech Seed Demo sends out Sodium again for EXP, while Starmie appears to be spamming Harden. Okay then. That gives me an opportunity to heal up Carbon, and my starter Pokémon comes out for that Thunder Wave. Apparently that's precisely when Starmie decides enough is enough, and Carbon eats a Water Gun. It doesn't do quite half, so I figure even if Starmie is faster Carbon can do what he's there to do and get out.

Oh. Starmie is faster, and it turns out being able to survive two Water Guns is not the same thing as being able to survive one Water Gun and a BubbleBeam. Oh no.

Lost Carbon the Pikachu :pikachu:

Rest in peace, Carbon. I could have saved you so easily, but I was a fool and I didn't. I'm sorry.

Dang. This hurts more than I thought it would. Carbon was stupendously frail and his stats weren't the greatest, so a part of me always expected to lose him eventually, but not so soon. Not like this. It wasn't his time.

Carbon's last gift to Demo is a free switch, taken by Magnesium. His Vine Whip does surprisingly little damage, but as he resists Starmie's Water-type attacks, it's only a matter of time before Misty's ace is knocked out.

"I can't believe I lost! All right! You can have the CascadeBadge to show you beat me!"

Democritus received the Cascade Badge!

It was a victory which came at a heavy price. In addition to his badge Demo also receives a TM for BubbleBeam. Could be nice on Sodium once she evolves, since she won't otherwise get any Water-type moves for quite some time.

Upon exiting the Gym, Demo returns to the Pokémon Center. I've never seen the point to releasing lost Pokémon on a Nuzlocke, but instead, Carbon is laid to rest as the first inhabitant of PC Box 1. One element is gone, but Democritus has many more to find.

Curium (Nidorina)
Level 19
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Scratch
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 19
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 19
-PoisonPowder
-Stun Spore
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Magikarp)
Level 18
-Splash
-Tackle

Magnesium (Ivysaur)
Level 19
-Tackle
-Growl
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Scandium (Charmander)
Level 10
-Scratch
-Growl
-Ember

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave
Killed by a BubbleBeam from Misty's Starmie

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Yikes, that's rough. Losing a Pokemon in a Locke is never fun, but it always seems to be a bit worse when it's your starter. However, it's a rite of passage that any aspiring challenger must go through. RIP Carbon.

On a brighter note though, congrats for beating Misty! Even though Starmie is by no means easy to beat at this point in the game, the Leech Seed strategy clearly paid off!

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
That sucks. Like Calaf said, losing a Starter is never fun in a Locke. But that Starmie is tough. Dont get too caught up on it.
Carbon will still be cheering you on in spirit!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf @Gokudera Thanks for the words of support. You're right about Starmie being no small challenge, and I'm at least glad that Carbon went down against the best of the best.

Charmander or Geodude. Those are Demo's two best options for Carbon's replacement. Titanium is the most logical and probably better choice, with the Vermilion Gym Leader next on the list of philosophers to conquer, but I just used a Golem in a recent playthrough of Silver and I really want to use Scandium. In the end, I leave it up to fate and choose neither. Let's see what Demo gets on Route 5 first.

He encounters a Rattata: the very thing I was most hoping for! It's at Level 14 and quickly caught with the help of Phosphorus's Stun Spore. Rattata are known to have strong teeth, which can be made stronger with fluorine. This element is also known to be highly, sometimes violently, reactive, which I think could be characteristic of this species.

Obtained Fluorine the Rattata on Route 5!

Fluorine will hopefully do a great job rounding out Demo's team, so it will stay on with no need to call upon the reserves just yet. But before Fluorine can be trained, there's still the matter of a certain fish Pokémon...

There's nothing of note to be found on Route 5, aside from the Daycare. Maybe I should have mentioned this in the rules, but I didn't think about it at the time: I won't be using the Daycare. That probably goes without saying. The only way to proceed from here is through the Underground Path, bypassing Saffron City. Demo emerges onto Route 6 instead and finds some actual Trainers, good.

The first few start off easily enough; Nitrogen and Phosphorus each gain a level. Then Demo gets to a Bug Catcher with a Lvl 20 Butterfree, and let me tell you, I was panicking against this thing. I see Supersonic, Sleep Powder, and PoisonPowder, so maybe it didn't have any direct attacking moves, but it was hard enough trying to fight back anyway. Demo still wasn't about to use Curium or Magnesium for fear of Confusion, and Sodium and Fluorine were out of the question. I used up all of my Awakenings and Antidotes and realized there was a good chance I was straight-up screwed, but Nitrogen was finally able to take it down when it missed about five attacks in a row.

Turns out that wasn't even going to be the luckiest Demo got on this route. The very last Trainer before Vermilion City had two Pokémon and led with a Level 16 Spearow. Fine, that's easy enough. Then he busts out a Raticate, also at 16. How is that fair?! It doesn't evolve until 20! Needless to say, the whole team is weakened by this point and Demo is running out of options. His best bet is Phosphorus's Sleep Powder. The Bug-type takes a Quick Attack with enough health to spare, but Raticate is still faster on the next turn and uses Hyper Fang.

No no no no no no...1/57. My heart. Oh boy.

Sleep Powder connects (the spirit of the Bug Catcher from before screams in rage) and Magnesium comes out. Leech Seed, then about three Vine Whips. Deep breaths were taken.

I'm not sure I've ever been happier to make it to a city. Demo heals up at the Center, grabs the Bike Voucher, and talks to an Officer Jenny he sees standing around. Something about a troublesome Squirtle she caught...needs a Trainer...yes ma'am, I'll take...huh? The dialogue stops without any options; I click through it again just to make sure. Apparently she won't let Demo receive this starter Pokémon quite so easily. Oh well. Demo also receives an Old Rod from the Fishing Guru, which significantly increases the variety of Pokémon he could get in certain areas. Something to keep in mind.

Demo avoids going to Route 11 or the S.S. Anne just yet, because back on Route 6 he managed to poke around in all the grass without actually running into any Pokémon, meaning our encounter is still open. He could use his new Old Rod to check out the ponds...but all he can find there are Magikarp, and there are still two interesting things the grass could yield: Jigglypuff and Abra. He steps out boldly, only to find one of Yellow's omnipresent Pidgey. Whatever. Demo didn't really need anything here.

Route 6 encounter failed.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the very next Pokémon Demo sees is an Abra. However...level 7? That's so weird. Why is this thing 10 levels lower than anything else on the Route? Sodium is out and manages to score the KO all by herself thanks to a crit Tackle. That might be her very first solo victory. By now Sodium is at Level 19 and I can practically taste that evolution, so Demo remains on Route 6 for a bit longer. While training he runs into a Level 17 wild Pidgeotto, which is neat. Despite also being an evolved Pokémon this thing doesn't hit nearly as hard as that Raticate, so it's not a problem. What's really funny is that I get the exact same thing again as my next encounter. Two 5% chances in a row, how about that? A bit later I find a wild Jigglypuff, at Level 5. This is so weird; I guess that Abra wasn't an isolated incident. Why would Game Freak do this. This thing only knows Sing, so in between lots of turns waiting around and being asleep, Sodium also beats this Pokémon all on her lonesome. It's only a few more minutes of switch-training after that before Sodium finally levels up one more time, and evolves into Gyarados!

The time has come for the salt to be transferred from me...to my enemies. Sodium learns Bite in the process, and now has a whopping 74 HP, way beyond anything else on the team. Oh yes.

Demo isn't finished quite yet, however. Sodium evolved at 20, and I know Fluorine will evolve at 20. Might as well extend the pattern, right? A small extra effort puts Curium at Level 20, and then Demo returns to Vermilion City to retrieve his Moon Stone from the PC. Curium's moveset is already about as good as she's going to get in this stage, so while they stare out over the ocean, Demo evolves her into Nidoqueen!

A couple things remain for Demo before he goes to redeem the ticket given to him by Bill. First is to swing by Diglett's Cave. I'm not going all the way, since I know Route 2 has several Cuttable trees that might block Demo if he went there now, but this'll be good for an encounter. Two Quick Attacks from Fluorine, one of them a crit, puts the first Diglett spotted into perfect catching range, which is backed up by Stun Spore. Even with plenty of paralysis to go round I feel like Demo's gotten incredibly lucky with his catches; not a single thing has taken more than one Poké Ball. You don't see me complaining. Anyhow, these Diglett are quite abundant here, and one of the most abundant elements in the Earth's crust (beaten only by oxygen) is silicon.

Obtained Silicon the Diglett in Diglett's Cave!

Now...a choice is made. As excited as I was to use Fluorine just a short while ago, she's only at Lvl 14, and training her up could be quite the investment. This Diglett, on the other hand, is at Lvl 19, which is especially important since it comes pre-loaded with Dig, unlike the weaker Diglett which can be found in the cave. Of course, there's a lot of risk and reward inherent with a Diglett itself. It's fast and strong, more so once it becomes Dugtrio, and packs a decently useful Ground typing. On the other hand, it's so, so, so frail: not an all-terrain Pokémon by any stretch. Still, I think Demo can handle it, and so he returns to Vermilion City to pick up Silicon and deposit Fluorine. No hard feelings.

With a new team member equipped, Route 11 beckons. The only things worth catching here would be a Drowzee or maybe a Raticate. Instead, a Lvl 17 Rattata is what Demo finds. The game is now mocking me for backing out on Fluorine. Okay. No encounter here, then.

Route 11 encounter failed.

That's fine, that's fine. Demo's team is looking more solid than ever. Silicon can't fight everything, but what he can fight gets demolished, and he picks up a couple levels. Things go smoothly until Demo faces a Gambler with a Bellsprout. That'll be Nitrogen's job, but he immediately gets smacked with PoisonPowder and Wrap. Well heck. I can only sit and watch the HP bar deplete until the attack ends and I can use Gust. It does half health to the Bellsprout, who goes into another Wrap cycle. No. Bad. Don't do that.

By the time Nitrogen puts down the plant, he's at about a quarter of his health and still poisoned. No problem, Demo will just heal him with an Antidote when the fight's...no Antidotes. Um. Step one, use Potion, step two, sprint to the Pokémon Center. No harm done. With my lesson learned, Demo duly proceeds to the Poké Mart, only to find out the one in Vermilion doesn't carry Antidotes. What the heck. Nothing for it but to run all the way back to Cerulean. At least it gives Demo an excuse to exchange the Bike Voucher for a Bike, and he finds a hidden Full Restore (!) in the Underground Path into the bargain. He picks up ten (10) Antidotes, because who the hell knows when he'll be able to buy them again, as well as a couple Burn Heals, which I noticed the Vermilion Mart also didn't have.

Hah! Now I have Burn Heal.

Round 2, start! Things again go well for a bit on Route 11. There are a few Trainers who exclusively use Pokémon weak to Ground, and Silicon revels in their demise. He is possibly the savior of the whole team against various Engineers packing numerous Magnemite and even a Magneton. This was a good choice.

Later Demo takes on a wild Lvl 17 Drowzee, and it's like the Team Rocket Grunt from Cerulean all over again. The fight ends with Nitrogen asleep and very low on health. Boo. Next up is a Youngster with a team of two Rattata and a Raticate. I swear, when do I get to stop battling these dumb rats? I don't remember all the specifics but that fight ends with Phosphorus at 2 HP, despite one-hit KO'ing one of the Rattata with a crit Confusion. It was a calculated risk. Fortunately the Route's almost over, and Sodium and Curium are still going as strong as ever.

Demo reaches the gate leading to Route 12, where he experiences one of the greatest pitfalls of a Nuzlocke. At a time when a casual run might have already registered dozens of species in the Pokédex, Demo has a measly 19 entries. This makes him ineligible to receive the Itemfinder from Professor Oak's aide, who requires a total of 30. You know, if the Professor himself doesn't have any Pokémon, which is why he needs 10-year-olds to do his dirty work, I bet the aide doesn't either. Demo could probably beat him up and take the dumb thing. Sandbox mode when.

A hidden Hyper Potion is all that's waiting for Demo on the Route 12 side of things until Snorlax can be moved, so it's back to Vermilion City and the S.S. Anne. I have to say, I'm starting to worry about Phosphorus. This "early game crutch bug" is slowly but surely making her way out of the early game. We'll see.

Nothing of particular importance happens on board the cruise ship. Demo and his Pokémon partake in another glorious rush of EXP, while the Trainer encounters a couple more powerful items such as a Max Potion and another Hyper Potion. I get that we're coming to the point where a Super Potion might not cut it occasionally, but I'd still feel bad about using one of them to heal 60, 65 HP.

None of the Trainers are too difficult to take down. Near the beginning, though, I almost have a heart attack facing a certain Gentleman. He leads with a Voltorb at Lvl 22, which was noticeably higher than anything else on the ship, but I felt comfortable leaving in Phosphorus because with the pathetic Gen I movesets I doubt it had any Electric moves. Looking it up later, I was right, but that's not what I had to worry about. This freaking Voltorb proceeds to outspeed Demo's Butterfree and blow itself to hell with Self-Destruct. My stomach instantly lurches when I see those words; I've heard the horror stories and I thought Demo had lost a teammate. To my relief it somehow isn't all that bad; Phosphorus is knocked from full health to about 40% left, so in the end it was probably more of a shock to me than the Pokémon. She even goes on to clean up the Gentleman's other Pokémon, a Magnemite, though she comes out with 9 HP courtesy of a SonicBoom. Nothing else reaches that level of scariness, though it seems like Demo's Bug-type might be trying to die at this point. Phosphorus hits herself in confusion three times a row against a sailor's Shellder...and the Water-type capitalizes on this by spamming Withdraw in the face of her special-based Psychic attacks. Nice. It occurs to me here that the only thing on Demo's team right now which isn't either a Ground or a Flying-type is a Grass-type, for a grand total of 5 Ice weaknesses alongside one neutrality. It's a darn good thing Ice-type attacks are practically nonexistent for most of the game.

At some point in all that, Nitrogen learns the incredibly-useful and much-anticipated Whirlwind. At least he has a full moveset for once. Magnesium replaces his Growl with PoisonPowder, and on the very last NPC Curium achieves Level 23 and gets the actually-anticipated Body Slam. That goes in place of Scratch; it's the last move she gets by level-up, but that's what TMs are for. I'm very satisfied with her current roster.

Once it looks like Demo has cleaned out most of the ship there's just enough time for a quick jaunt back to the Pokémon Center before we approach the captain's cabin, and who should be waiting for us there but Demo's rival Awfe. He jabbers on for a while about how full his Pokédex is, how much more he knows about the elements, how the way of Democritus is inferior, etc. It almost feels like a non sequitur when we're launched into battle.

As has been the case with previous battles, Awfe leads with his Spearow, at Level...19? Is that it? Demo of course leads with Nitrogen, who at this point is three levels higher, for the poetic justice of our birds duking it out. It's not much of a contest, though, as Spearow goes down to just two Gusts, and the rest of the battle goes about the same way. Rattata is obliterated by Sodium. Phosphorus shrugs off a crit Slash from Sandshrew before putting it to sleep and two-hit-KO'ing with Confusion. She stays in against Eevee, too; my original plan is just to paralyze it before switching, but when Eevee is unable to move on the first turn I figure what the heck. About four Confusions get the job done, with Eevee only returning one Tackle's worth of damage in that time.

Awfe's highest-leveled Pokémon on a team of four was at 20, and Demo's lowest on a team of six was at 21. Did Demo's team actually manage to get overleveled somewhere along the way? Doesn't seem like it, judging based on the teams of the NPCs, but that was almost too easy.

The disgraced Awfe, like the poor fool he is, seeks to make himself feel better after his loss by belittling others, and tosses a few insults the captain's way before vamoosing in a hurry. Time to go see if Awfe has any idea what he's talking about.

Okay, so Awfe is spot-on for once. It's kind of sad for the captain of a famous, world-traveling luxury cruise liner to suffer from seasickness. Demo rubs his back until he feels better, and is rewarded with the first of five HMs, the one containing Cut! That will be taught to Silicon, whose mysterious penchant for cutting-style moves continues despite its utter lack of anything to cut with. Magnesium also could have learned it, but his roster of potential moves as a Venusaur is a bit more varied and wider than a Dugtrio's. I'm glad I made sure to check out the entire ship before leaving, because once Demo departs with the HM he's treated to the sight of the S.S. Anne leaving port. So long.

Cool, now Demo can access the Vermilion Gym! He can also access a couple things way back in the northwest of Kanto, and we're going to do that first, which means finally traversing the entire length of Diglett's Cave. It's here that Demo gets his first taste of the infamous 256 glitch, when Sodium misses a Bite. There are far, far worse places that could've happened, so let's hope this instance has appeased the RNG for a long while. Also along the way he occasionally encounters Dugtrio; the first of these is at a whopping 29, but not hard to take care of. It's a darn good thing Dig gives advance warning. The second, though, is at Level 31 and nearly kills Magnesium with a critical Scratch. Oh man oh man. Sodium is real low on health at that point too so I can't rely on her to come in and tank any more, but it's Phosphorus to the rescue with a long spell of sleep. Good riddance, game balance.

Back on Route 2 Demo is able to pick up a couple neat items, but they pale in importance to what's awaiting him in the gatehouse. Professor Oak's other aide is lounging about, waiting for us to drop by with a Pokédex containing at least 10 entries. Now that's something Demo can do, and he's rewarded with the last of five HMs, the one containing Flash! Now it's just a matter of filling in the gaps. As the only Pokémon Demo has on hand who can learn the move, it falls to Phosphorus to carry Flash, for which she sacrifices PoisonPowder.

I also remember one other thing Demo can do here with Cut, which is sneak into the back of the Pewter Museum. For his delinquency he's rewarded not with a hefty fine, but with a priceless Pokémon Fossil, the Old Amber. Demo can't revive both of his Fossils on Cinnabar Island, so a choice will have to be made eventually.

Nothing now remains between Demo and the Vermilion Gym. He returns to the port of exquisite sunsets through the cave, and Sodium makes a strong showing against the Gym Trainers since, in true Gen I fashion, their Electric Pokémon still don't have any Electric attacks. Also, the Gyarados has the highest HP on the team, making her the best at handling SonicBoom. Demo learned his lesson on the ship and has Silicon immediately Dig against a Lvl 22 Voltorb, but this one decides it likes to live and doesn't give him any Self-Destruct woes. It's just Lt. Surge and his Gym puzzle left when Demo steps outside to assess. The level cap here is 28 due to the Gym Leader possessing only a single, strong Pokémon, but Demo's team is nowhere near that. I decide 24 across the board is not unreasonable, being about one level apiece, and that's quickly accomplished in Diglett's Cave. Gym battle time.

I have to say, Surge's Gym puzzle is kind of dumb. It takes Demo four tries to unlock the door behind which the Leader has barricaded himself. Still, that's the least of Demo's obstacles here. I intend for the battle itself to be one-on-one if all goes well. I really thought about seeing what Silicon could do, but Raichu is pretty zippy and I have zero confidence in Silicon's ability to take a fat Mega Punch or Mega Kick to the face. Also, there's a chance his Dig wouldn't one-hit KO, which would be equally disastrous. Thus, it'll have to be Queen Curium for the win.

Lt. Surge sends out his one and only Pokémon while Demo sends out his fully-evolved evolution-stone-user of choice. The battle kicks off in epic fashion, with the opposing parties opting to Growl at each other. Curium then goes for another Growl after Raichu unleashes Mega Punch. It does 15/80 which is not bad. On the next turn Lt. Surge drops an X Speed while Curium hits with Body Slam. Demo is already resigned to being outsped at every turn, so that feels like a wasted turn on the Leader's part, but a Growl-softened Body Slam isn't exactly putting the hurt on Raichu either. Some poison here would be nice, so Demo then gambles on the far-weaker Poison Sting. Raichu misses its Mega Kick and is successfully poisoned, so that's about the best that turn could have gone. The game giveth and the game taketh away, so perhaps I should have seen the next turn coming, wherein Curium is knocked to 18HP by a crit Mega Punch. The subsequent Body Slam and poison chip leave Raichu at about a third of its health: not enough for one more round to KO.

This is a struggle. 18HP is enough for Curium to shrug off even a Mega Kick, but that's without a crit. I know the critical hit rate is based on Speed in Gen I, which means the speedy Raichu is already critting more than average, but I don't know if the X Speed boost will stack with that. If it does, I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that the odds are decent of Raichu scoring another crit next turn, which would definitely put an end to Curium. Argh. It feels cheap, but I can't resist the safe play of having Demo use a Super Potion on Curium. The incoming Mega Punch is not a critical hit, which leaves Curium at a healthy enough range to go back on the offensive. Raichu spends its next turn on...either a Growl or another missed Mega Kick, I can't remember which, leading to an unanswered Body Slam. The next turn will do it. Lt. Surge orders a Thunderbolt, of all things, and Curium puts his Pokémon away with Double Kick. Sayonara.

"Whoa! You're the real deal, kid! Fine then, take the ThunderBadge!"

Democritus received the Thunder Badge!

Looks like he can use Fly outside of battle now, too, though I don't think that will be happening for a little while. Nope, it's the low road back to Cerulean City and Route 9 for Demo...right after this.

Let's see if this Officer Jenny will recognize Demo's worth now...indeed she does! Dang, to hear her talk you'd think she'd never seen anyone with a Thunder Badge before. Have you not positioned yourself right next to the Vermilion Gym? Lt. Surge is good, sure, but I'd never heard he was undefeated. Whatever the case may be, Demo finds himself the proud new owner of a Squirtle, which fills his Vermilion City encounter. Squirtle is a classic, definitive Water-type Pokémon, and since there are two elements which are liquid at room temperature, one of them should do for a nickname.

Obtained Bromine the Squirtle in Vermilion City!

Sodium is doing just fine as a Water-type representative, and no one was lost in this Gym battle, so no team substitutions are necessary as Demo sets off in search of his next challenge.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 24
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 24
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Whirlwind

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 24
-Flash
-Stun Spore
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 24
-Splash
-Tackle
-Bite

Magnesium (Ivysaur)
Level 24
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip

Silicon (Diglett)
Level 24
-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Scandium (Charmander)
Level 10
-Scratch
-Growl
-Ember

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Congratulations on surviving that Raticate. Claimed a lot of victims over the years.

Another odd point about the low levels on Route 6: think how close they are to Dugtrios.

Finds it surprising how Self-Destruct was the least threatening scary moment. Hopefully continues to be the least threatening in Rock Tunnel and the routes ahead. Good luck.

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
In loving memory of Carbon, May you reunite at Pokémon tower.....at least we have bromine the squirtle now. I hope you call it “bro” sometimes because that’s the best name a squirtle can have.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Deva Heh, it's all odd. You don't see me complaining, though.
@juiccbox Trust me, if I ever have to use Bromine, that is so happening.
This was turning into a giant wall of text, so...split-update time! Fair warning, my update schedule is going to be a lot slower from now on since school is back in session. My apologies for the delays.
The intervening distance between Vermilion City and Route 9 doesn't hold anything new since the last time Demo has been this way (as far as I can tell), so he gets right down to business. There are a few Trainers to clean up on this oddly twisty Route before we hit the first grass patch, and a couple of them aren't too kind. Demo faces a Hiker whose last Pokémon is an Onix. Phosphorus, who was out to beat a Machop, stays in just long enough for a Sleep Powder before switching. That was almost one turn too many; I forgot to consider that the Onix was a high enough level to have Rock Throw, and indeed, that's what it tries right upon waking up. Fortunately Magnesium doesn't care half so much.

Shortly after that Demo is challenged by a Youngster who possesses only a Level 24 Sandshrew. I think Silicon was in the lead, which meant an immediate switch to Nitrogen...who lost a full 50% of his HP to a crit Slash. Um. I have no idea what to do about that for a minute before I decide it'll be Magnesium to the rescue once again.

Sooner or later we make it to some grass, which means it's time to roll the encounter dice once again. Demo finds...a Level 18 male Nidoran! Yes! That's the one thing on this Route he didn't already have. The catching process is a nail-biter since I didn't realize Demo was down to his last Poké Ball, but he wins the day! Curium was named after a prominent female scientist, so I want this Nidoran♂ to be named for an element related to a prominent male scientist, and who better than the man credited with developing the first periodic table, Dmitri Mendeleev? This Pokémon's nickname will be Mendelevium in spirit, but due to technical limitations it becomes... M.delevium. Hehe.

Obtained Mendelevium the Nidoran♂ on Route 9!

The remainder of the Route is uneventful and Demo crosses into Route 10 without a problem. He dodges around the large grass field for now and takes his rest at the Pokémon Center. This northern area only contains a single Trainer, who's easily dealt with. She mentions having lost every time she's gone to a Gym; with a team of Jigglypuff and Clefairy at Lvl 20, I agree that she wouldn't stand much of a chance at any Gym Demo's conquered so far. I guess she might have a shot against Brock, based on the levels alone, if she gets lucky with Sing and Clefairy's DoubleSlap. Maybe.

Demo...is in need of supplies, so he scoots back to the Poké Mart and mentally prepares himself along the way for making a new friend on Route 10. The first potential friend is a female Nidoran. Hmph. I don't know what Demo's prospects for getting an Electric-type look like going forward, and with how common Magnemite are supposed to be here in Yellow it feels like a disgrace to not catch one, so I gamble on activating one of the uses of Dupes Clause...and it pays off! Level 16, the lowest they come, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. No issues with catching the Magnemite. Now, there's one element famous for its conductive properties, and to that end it's good for making coils. "Coil" is literally Magnemite's Japanese name, so it seems obvious to me that this little guy should be called Copper.

Obtained Copper the Magnemite on Route 10!

Curium and Magnesium did a fine job fighting off all the Rock-types on Route 9, but there are sure to be a lot more coming up and I want a bit of extra insurance. That means it's time for Demo to break out the TM12 Water Gun for Sodium. BubbleBeam is available too, but I figure the weaker move will still get the job done, and I want to save whatever stronger moves I can for later in the game.

No more putting it off. I'm scared as heck of going through Rock Tunnel, but the team is all healed up and Demo is as ready as he'll ever be.

The first order of business, of course, is to have Phosphorus use Flash. Oh, hey, that's pretty nice; it's not just a little circle around me, but it's like the cave was never dark at all. Within the first few steps, Demo runs into a Pokémon: a Zubat! I expected that, and I'm happy because it means I get to use the name I've been hanging on to since before Mt. Moon. Zubat drink blood, blood gets its color from hemoglobin, and a central component of hemoglobin is...iron!

Obtained Iron the Zubat in Rock Tunnel!

Demo comes to realize that Rock Tunnel is actually fairly straightforward; dead ends are everywhere, but the correct path is almost always marked by a Trainer. That's a load off my shoulders. However, there are a ton of Trainers in here. Silicon is sitting in the front of the party as an EXP sponge, since he's on the cusp of evolution, and is able to take on a couple things with Dig. I almost make a fatal mistake against one of the early Trainers, though. It's a Hiker with a Level 21 Geodude, which I know can use Self-Destruct. Demo orders Dig on the first turn to avoid that, but the Geodude uses Defense Curl instead. Uh-oh. If Silicon can't knock him out in one hit he'll be wide open to retaliation. I guess I shouldn't have worried, because the HP bar still drops like a...like a rock. No pun intended. All those stat points Silicon doesn't have in defenses have left him with Attack to spare.

Continuing on like that, it's against a wild Pokémon that Silicon gains enough EXP to hit level 26 and evolve into a Dugtrio! Now he's got 60 HP, which isn't near the other members of the team but certainly better than what it was before. Demo's now got the peace of mind to focus on his other Pokémon. Shortly after that, Sodium hits 25 and learns the coveted Dragon Rage! For a second I think about dropping Tackle and keeping Splash for the novelty, but then I tell myself not to be an idiot. You can never be too much of a beast. I knew Demo made the right decision buying her off the black market.

It's on the lower level of the tunnel that Demo has a couple surprises. The first is when Nitrogen is battling a high-leveled wild Zubat and gets hit with, not Supersonic, but Confuse Ray. Dang. Imagine being a Zubat, waiting so many levels to get another decent move, and it turns out to be only a slightly better version of a relatively inferior move you already have. Of course, that will be Demo's struggle should he ever have to use Iron. The next surprise is more sinister. Curium leads against a Hiker with two Pokémon; the first Geodude is easily beaten. After that comes a Level 21 Graveler. Um, rude. Demo could try a Double Kick, which would probably be a two-hit KO, or he could do something else. Curium hasn't bothered with Growl since Lt. Surge, but it turned out to be the right call here as Graveler immediately went kamikaze. I'm not sure a full-powered Self-Destruct would have spelled the end, but it looked like it would have been close. Sodium is out when Demo runs across another Graveler-toting Hiker, but that one is silenced with Water Gun before it gets the chance to move at all. That was another good call.

It's Silicon the Dugtrio with half HP at the head of the party when Demo is challenged by a Pokémaniac. It's not the first one of them he's seen, and they've always been a bother with their Slowpoke, but this individual's first Pokémon is only Level 20. Hmm, that should be Dig range. I go for the move, and it's a one-shot...critical hit. Well, that works too. An identical Slowpoke is next, which presents another opportunity to test Dig's damage range...or it would have, without the second crit in a row. The third Slowpoke finally lives, hanging on in the red. Good to know. Scratch finishes the job after an ineffective Disable. You're killing it, Silicon. Phosphorus isn't doing half bad in the wild, either. It's not worth it picking fights with the Geodude, but she demolishes all the Zubat and Machop along the way. It's a bit of a challenge to use Magnesium, unfortunately. The pathetic 10 PP of Vine Whip have to be conserved, and the Zubat dish out surprising amounts of damage with their doubly-super-effective Leech Life.

After about the sixth time Demo has to take a ladder between the two levels of Rock Tunnel, fighting countless Hikers with Rock Pokémon and countless female Junior Trainers with Bellsprout that like to use special conditions and Wrap, my patience is wearing thin with this dungeon. Sodium, do something! Demo's grumpy Chinese water dragon takes the lead slot the rest of the way, and thankfully there's not too much anything else can do about it. The last pathway contains three more Trainers, bearing combinations of Pidgey, Grass-types, and a spread of Normal-types equipped to annoy me in various ways. It takes me minutes on end to get past one Junior Trainer whose Jigglypuff must have scored the max sleep duration with its Sing, and whose Clefairy scores the maximum number of hits with DoubleSlap. The next one in line shaves off half of Nitrogen's health at a single go with one of her Crit-per Fang Rattata, and while the last one has a speedy Meowth with Bite, it at least doesn't pull off any flinches against Demo's Pokémon.

Then...that's it. Not a single item was found, but Demo makes his way onto the southern half of Route 10 having conquered the Rock Tunnel unscathed. It's a peaceful end to a harrowing adventure that should have taken 20 seconds. I have a serious bone to pick with whoever designs Kanto's "tunnels."

Anyhow, immediately to the left of the cave's exit is a female NPC. I thought that would be a really weird spot to slap a Trainer, so Demo turns to her for a bit of friendly conversation, only to get challenged to a battle. Figures. There's nothing of note on this roundabout portion of the Route; the trend of Hikers and Pokémaniacs continues all the way to Lavender Town. Magnesium consumes his last PP of Vine Whip slaughtering an Onix, which turns out to be the last Pokémon he has to face. Perfect timing.

Ah, yes, those familiar haunting chiptune tones. Demo is greeted by a soothing shade of purple and the most infamous track in Pokémon history upon his arrival in Lavender Town. Despite the somewhat miserable condition of his team, Demo avoids going to the Pokémon Center right away and instead checks out all the other buildings first just so I can enjoy the music for a bit.

One man in the Pokémon Center does have a useful tidbit to share. He tells Demo that "Team Rocket will do anything for gold." Gold, eh? Interesting...I've said it before, but just who are these people?

I don't care to check out Route 8 just yet, and obviously Demo will have to go to Pokémon Tower sooner or later, but for now his tracks continue in a southerly direction onto Route 12. I figure there can't be all that much between Demo and that Snorlax, right?

At first my little side quest seems to pay off. Demo receives the TM39 Swift, arguably one of the most valuable in the game, in a gatehouse just south of town, so that's cool. Beyond that lies the Silence Bridge, where hordes of Fishermen are all too eager to do combat.

These guys...aren't messing around. I almost question whether Demo was meant to come this way just yet, though it's not like there was anything stopping him. One of them has a Goldeen at Level 27, who almost gets the drop on Phosphorus with Peck. Actually all the Goldeen around here, and there are a lot, are a real pain, since they pack Supersonic. Why do Demo's Pokémon always half kill themselves with their confusion damage? I'm even afraid for Sodium's life at one or two points.

Nevertheless, Demo is committed to this path now, and he presses on. The Fisherman who turns out to be the last one on this stretch has a team of four Pokémon; he leads with a Poliwag, who after taking a Confusion from Phosphorus for half health, puts her to sleep with Hypnosis. Heck. A switch to Sodium results in another successful Hypnosis. Enough of that; Demo dives into his Bag to find out...he has one Awakening left. Heck heck heck. This better work. Demo applies the item...and the Poliwag tries a laughable Bubble. Phew. Bite puts an end to that and Sodium barrels through everything else like the good Atrocious Pokémon she is.

That leaves Demo free to approach from the north the same Snorlax he previously approached from the west. It cannot be a coincidence that this utter BUFFOON fell asleep in the one, precise spot that leaves all routes blocked off. Unless Demo decides he wants to waste the Route 12 encounter fishing up another Magikarp with the Old Rod, this Snorlax will have to be the first thing he encounters here. Being scripted and forced, it probably wouldn't count under most Nuzlocke conditions, but the only other interesting things on Route 12 are Bellsprout or the rare Farfetch'd. I'm fine with running into this Snorlax when the time comes, and Demo will do everything in his power to catch it.

Until that time comes, Demo must bid the drowsy beast farewell and return to Lavender Town. Since he's now fresh out of Awakenings, his first stop is the Poké Mart...which, perhaps predictably, does not carry Awakenings. Bloody hell, do they do this on purpose? Looks like he'll be taking on Pokémon Tower sans Awakenings.

First up, of course, is the lobby, where Demo finds a bunch of people going through the various stages of grief. Ah, for the good old days when a children's game could still have a bit of horror thrown in.

Upon ascending the first staircase, the next person Demo sees is none other than Awfe. Really? I knew he was in here somewhere but I guess I didn't expect it to be right away. Awfe explains to Demo in detail that Demo sucks, before taking the opportunity to try and prove it.

He leads with a Fearow, presumably evolved from the Spearow. Way to go, and it's at Level 25, which isn't too shabby. Between bad timing with Mirror Move and a bunch of Leers, Curium defeats it in three turns without a scratch. Next is Shellder. That's new; how come Demo can't get one of those yet? The Water-type is taken out in another three hits, this time by Phosphorus, and she then takes a chance staying in against Awfe's next selection, a Vulpix. Confusion appears to need four hits, while a crit Ember does more than I'd like. So much for that. Its Defense is a lot lower, though, making easy pickings for Nitrogen. Demo's bird Pokémon stays in to deal with Sandshrew as well, who's at a frankly pathetic Level 20. Come on, Awfe. Last, predictably, is Eevee, at a more respectable 25 like Fearow. Doesn't save the thing from getting oneshotted by Silicon's Dig, though. So, that was fun.

What's not fun is this stupid tower. Pokémon Tower is stupid. The first Pokémon available to be caught is...a GHOST! Missingno., is that you? Haha, just kidding, these don't count. I wish their encounter rate was kidding, though. Is it really necessary for Demo to waste time running from one of these things every five steps? Maybe he should've stayed in the lobby with everyone else.

Speaking of other people, while the Channeler battle sprite is pretty cool, what is wrong with these people? Saying things like Be gone, evil spirit!, Give me your soul, You will join us, Zombies!, and Give me blood, among lots of incomprehensible screeching and groaning. I thought the whole point of you people was that you could handle ghosts and the like.

Nevertheless, Demo slowly grinds his way up to the top. Since this whole place is filled with nothing but Ghost types, who additionally have high Special and resist Grass, fully half of the team is essentially useless. Phosphorus gets first crack at the ghosts; because their Special is so high, even the super-effective Confusion is typically only a three-hit KO. And these Gastly aren't messing around, either. Confuse Ray is annoying as all get out, and Night Shade packs a serious wallop from levels in the low twenties. A couple of Super Potions are required, but it isn't too long before Phosphorus hits Level 28. She learns Gust, for which Demo forgets Stun Spore. I know I might regret that, but I just want her to have another attacking move, okay? I didn't use Stun Spore much with Sleep Powder around.

Silicon has a chance after that. Dig might only have 10PP but it does gobs of damage to these things, one-hit KOs left and right. Also, any PP woes that Demo might have are over once he finds a certain Channeler who doesn't challenge him. What's that? You...sealed this space with white magic? Hey! We found the one competent Channeler in this whole building.

I don't want anyone getting too far ahead, so once Silicon levels up, Sodium comes out. I was so close to clicking Bite the first time I used her against a Gastly. Glad Demo didn't make a fool of himself. Moving forward, Sodium benefits from the 256 glitch once by dodging a Lick, but another one shortly thereafter paralyzes her. To make matters worse this same Gastly also throws on a Confuse Ray. Now Sodium. I know you have a high Attack stat, so please don't hit yourself. And Sodium...doesn't. She shrugs off a Night Shade and Dragon Rages for the win, earning herself a Parlyz Heal. Excellent job all around.

The end of Demo's path is marked by a certain GHOST who seems intent on not budging from a stairwell. How curious: all the others had a purple aura, but this one has a brown aura. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like we'll find out why right now. There's no way in hell I'm walking all the way back down this tower with nothing to gain, so Demo takes an Escape Rope down to Lavender Town. Once he's sold a Nugget he picked up, Route 8 beckons.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 27
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 27
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Whirlwind

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 28
-Flash
-Gust
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 28
-Dragon Rage
-Tackle
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Ivysaur)
Level 27
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 28
-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Scandium (Charmander)
Level 10
-Scratch
-Growl
-Ember

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Mendelevium (M.delevium, Nidoran♂)
Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I've always thought of Route 8 as one of the more interesting ones in Kanto, the way the road twists around a field blocked off by Cut trees. It has some interesting Trainers, too, as Demo comes to find out. He starts off with Nitrogen running point; if there's going to be anyone on the team who's pushing the level cap against Erika it's going to be him, in the hope that he might actually learn a Flying-type attack between then and now. Nitrogen does well enough against the first couple, a Lass with some Clefairy and a Gambler with some Fire-types, but when the wear and tear starts to get him down it's Magnesium up to bat. This, of course, comes right along with a string of Trainers who use a lot of Poison Pokémon, so that PoisonPowder and Vine Whip are ineffective. Whatever; Leech Seed is the MVP and provides enough support that Demo can switch back to Nitrogen for some harder hits.

The craziest thing is a Super Nerd about midway along the route. He leads with a Grimer at only Level 22, who promptly Disables Tackle while Magnesium sets up Leech Seed. No big deal. Nitrogen wallops it with Gust. The Super Nerd's next choice is also at Level 22...but it's a freaking Muk. What on earth? On the switch Magnesium is hit with another Disable...which again selects Tackle. You've got to be kidding me. Fortunately, it wears off quickly, and Demo's Grass-type wears down the Poison-type with that and Leech Seed. Another Grimer after that feels anticlimatic, but despite even more attempts to use Disable, they all miss. Sheesh.

Farther along is a gaggle of four Trainers all standing right next to each other. Okay, that's weird. One has a Koffing at Level 26, and I spend the whole battle praying that it can't blow up. Whether or not it can, it doesn't, so not much harm done with only Tackle and Smog. A Lass with three Meowth also gave me a bit of worry, though all they did was Screech while Nitrogen razed them with Quick Attack. All these Trainers said some vaguely amusing things after Demo ground them into the dust. One asked if they all looked silly standing in a line like that. Yep, you sure do.
Another commented that she finds Pidgey and Rattata cute. I bet you do, you little punk. Why don't you take them all off my hands so Demo can catch something decent?

Silicon is out front when Demo finds a Water-specialist Gambler. Trusting to Silicon's massive Attack, Demo takes the risk of defeating two Poliwag in a row; both are fortunately one-hit KO'd. Last up is a Poliwhirl, and that's where I draw the line. Sodium is hit with Hypnosis on the way in; Demo decides to wait it out. Meanwhile, the Poliwhirl deals 1 and 2 damage, respectively, with Bubble and Water Gun. Bravo. Bite with a flinch and Dragon Rage wrap up the battle. The last Trainer on the Route is another Super Nerd, whose opening challenge asks Demo how good he is at chem. WHAT...DID YOU SAY?! Are you asking me, DEMOCRITUS, how good I am at CHEMISTRY?! I command the elements, you...UTTER...BUFFOON!! Needless to say, he and his full roster of Electric and Poison Pokémon are swiftly and brutally crushed by Silicon and Curium.

Saffron City still remains closed and the Underground Path appears at the Route's terminus, so there's only the matter of an encounter here. Demo slides into the grass, where he could find Jigglypuff, Abra, or even possibly Kadabra. What he does find is a Pidgey. Why must things be this way ;-;

Route 8 encounter failed.

After passing through the east-west Underground Path, Demo finds himself on what was possibly the most pathetic excuse for a Route in the Pokémon world before Kalos Route 1 came along. There is absolutely nothing here except a lone patch of grass, and the entirety of Route 7 is about a dozen tiles long. Okay then. This only adds to my theory that each region is really just the equivalent of one large real-world city, with several different neighborhoods scattered about.

Speaking of that one patch of grass, I believe it represents Demo's last chance of obtaining Jigglypuff and Abra. I don't care a bit about Jigglypuff, but when the RNG cranks out yet another Pidgey for Demo...I really have to think. It's a great Psychic-type during the best time to be a Psychic-type, but Demo only has two chances of dupes clause left, and the odds aren't good he'll find an Abra. So, I decide not to do it. I realized a bit later that even if I were successful in catching an Abra, I can't evolve it all the way into Alakazam, so that would've been a stupid idea any way you slice it.

Route 7 encounter failed.

That's that. A mild stroll carries Demo to the most populous city in Kanto: Celadon City. After stopping at the Pokémon Center conveniently located at the edge of town, Demo begins his exploration with the band of trees wrapping around the north of the city. The one thing he finds is a mysterious back entrance into a tall building. By slipping up a narrow staircase, Demo finds a little apartment on the roof. It's kind of freaky how this is designed; the game shows only the rooftop plaza, floating unanchored in a sea of blue nothingness. Trippy. Adding to the weird feng shui is the sign by the door: I KNOW EVERYTHING! Cool, maybe you can help Demo on his quest.

Okay, so that was a lie. The man inside the room is the least interesting and least useful thing present. A book on the table at least explains, courtesy of Silph Co, that there are 50 TMs and 5 reusable HMs. Still, that little tidbit is nothing compared to the table's other occupant: a Poké Ball. And folks, it is not empty.

Still, I pause. Taking this Eevee means Demo won't have a chance to grab a Poliwag or Goldeen in Celadon's pools. Then I tell myself to stop being an idiot. If Demo is that desperate for a Water-type at some point in the future, after Sodium's untimely demise, he can just evolve the Eevee into Vaporeon. That's right, Demo has OPTIONS, baby! Bismuth crystals shine with innumerable colors, so what better name for a Pokémon who can achieve as many forms as Eevee can?

Obtained Bismuth the Eevee in Celadon City!

This might be the single greatest validation of Democritus's quest up to this point. Awfe can eat his heart out, big time.

Exploring the rest of the huge city after that is a bit of a drag. Demo does see a couple more of those Team Rocket fellows loitering about, which is odd. They say their customary nasty things when approached, but otherwise don't give him any trouble.

The Celadon Department Store turns out to be well worth Demo's while even though he doesn't buy a single thing. On the way up he receives the TM for Counter. That doesn't seem to jive well with the entire premise of a Nuzlocke, but who knows. Then, hanging out on the roof is a little girl who's apparently dying of thirst. She guzzles down three drinks in a row from the nearby vending machine, on Demo's dime, but the philosopher is rewarded for his charity with some of the best TMs in the game, Ice Beam and Rock Slide...and Tri Attack, too. Sorry, Tri Attack, you're cool and all, but it's a hell of a lot harder to get Ice and Rock moves around here than Normal-type ones.

Poking around the bushes on the south side of town, Demo uncovers a hidden PP Up. That's one of those nifty things that will be stockpiled away in the PC until right before the Pokémon League. In a nearby café he's bequeathed a Coin Case from a down-and-out slot player. That's our cue to go check out Celadon's most infamous attraction, the Rocket Game Corner.

The prize room, of course, holds no attraction for us at the moment. As a side note, it amazes me that people can ever save up enough coins to buy these rare Pokémon. On the gambling floor, though, Demo is gifted a total of 50 coins from various people, a nice lump sum to kick-start his gambling addiction. Nice. He plays the slot machines once, too, just to see what it's like, and manages to score a net gain of 12 coins on his first spin. Also nice. Now, various citizens all over the city have been telling him suspicious things about Team Rocket and a poster in the Game Corner, so when Demo sees a Team Rocket member lounging up against a poster, he naturally investigates.

To my mild surprise Demo is challenged to a battle right then and there. My heart skips a beat when the words "sent out Raticate" flash across the screen...but it's only Level 20?? Weird. Nitrogen mops up that and the following Zubat, piece of cake. The grunt then retreats, apparently opening the way into the hideout, but Demo isn't here expressly to chase Team Rocket. He's here for a Gym Badge.

First, a bit of Route 16 is available. Of course there's a Snorlax smack in the middle of the road, but Cut opens up a short northern passage. A patch of grass there holds...nothing new except Doduo. Had whoever made Yellow never heard of type variety?! To that end, I'm going to hold off on that and actually challenge this Snorlax before the one on Route 12. If Demo fails here he'll have another chance at catching this, and if he succeeds, he'll be free to pick up a Water Pokémon or maybe a Bellsprout on Route 12 later.

Past that, a trek through a gate leads Demo to a house in the middle of nowhere. The occupant congratulates Demo on finding her secret hideaway. Uh, wasn't that hard. Then, though, she gifts him with HM02 Fly. Hot damn. Any worries I might have had about Erika pretty much evaporate on the spot. Nitrogen instantly gets this; I have zero qualms about replacing Whirlwind.

Back in town, it's Gym time. The stupidly high concentration of special condition powders floating around in here make some of these fights a lot harder than they have to be, even though all the Trainers' Pokémon but one top out at Level 24. I'm also reminded why Wrap sucks in Gen I.
Sodium gets paralyzed against a Bellsprout, and once the Wrap user goes first it feels like game over. Despite each turn of Wrap doing precisely 2 damage, even Sodium's beefy HP stat is decimated by the time she gets an opportunity to answer with Bite. Thank goodness it was a one-hit KO.

After being told off numerous times by a bunch of women simply for being male, Demo makes it to the back room, which still has a couple Gym Trainers. There begins what is possibly the most interesting fight so far this entire run. It's against a CoolTrainer, the first one Demo has encountered; she has three Pokémon and leads with a Weepinbell against Magnesium. She then proceeds to spam nothing but PoisonPowder, even after it fails against Demo's Poison-type numerous times. Since CoolTrainer is a high-ranking Trainer class, I can only assume I'm getting a taste of the Gen I "smart" AI. My assumption is that the game sees "Grass-type," thinks "use Poison move," and stops, without pausing to consider that Magnesium is also a Poison-type and can't be affected by the one Poison-type attack available to the Weepinbell. It gets weirder, though. Once Magnesium has sufficiently worn down his opponent with Tackle...the NPC withdraws Weepinbell. She actually switches out her Pokémon. How often does that happen? The replacement is a Gloom, who falls into the same trap. When it gets knocked into the red...the CoolTrainer heals it with a Hyper Potion. Wonders never cease. After Gloom is whittled down once again, its Trainer switches Pokémon once again, sending Weepinbell back into the fray. By this point, one more Tackle knocks it out, and the same goes for Gloom's brief reappearance. Still having taken no damage this whole battle, Magnesium is free to take on the last Pokémon...who turns out to be a fellow Ivysaur, albeit at Level 24. Oh no. Magnesium, I'm sorry. Demo's Pokémon slowly Tackles its kin, who again uses nothing but PoisonPowder, to death. What a ride.

Once Erika's retinue is disposed of, final preparations can begin. With as convoluted as Celadon City is, it's a thousand times faster for Demo to have Nitrogen Fly across town to the Pokémon Center than to walk it, so that's what he does. He also flies back to Cerulean to stock up on Awakenings, because goodness knows he might need them against the Grass-type Gym Leader. The level cap for Erika is 32; by this time Demo's whole party is Big Chilling at level 29, which I figure will be sufficient. No fancy footwork here: the plan is simply for Demo to have Nitrogen nuke whatever it can with Fly, while Phosphorus, Curium, and Sodium shouldn't have much trouble cleaning up anything that's left.

All that said, no amount of strategizing can compensate for the RNG, and Demo's clash with the Nature-loving Princess gets off to a wonderful start. Nitrogen misses his first Fly, and the subsequent Constrict lowers his Speed. This makes Erika's Pokémon faster, but I should at least be grateful it only ever uses Constrict, far and away the least debilitating of its attacks. Weepinbell comes out next, and Fly is close to KOing in one hit. Acid does a chunk back to Nitrogen, but not a ton. Demo orders Quick Attack on the off chance Erika doesn't heal, which she doesn't, and that's two Pokémon down. Nitrogen even goes up a level, putting him only two below Gloom.

This is where I make a stupid, stupid mistake. Rather than switching back to Fly, I mash buttons too fast and Nitrogen stays with Quick Attack. Gloom barely feels it and retaliates with Acid. Again, this one doesn't do too much damage, but it does lower Nitrogen's Defense. That and the Speed drop from earlier are too much, so Nitrogen hits the bench and Curium comes out. For whatever unfathomable reason, rather than obeying the type chart and picking Acid against a Normal/Flying type, Gloom chooses to unleash Petal Dance. That slices off around 40% of Curium's health, so she doesn't get to attack once before Demo is better off switching again. Fortunately, Gloom is now locked into a Grass-type attack for another couple turns, which means a field day for Phosphorus. Petal Dance damage on the switch is minimal; Confusion zaps Gloom to the point that Gloom is under half health, but another one couldn't KO. At this point I do something else really dumb. I guess I was still afraid of Erika healing, so rather than going right into another Confusion I decide to have Phosphorus score a bit of chip damage with Gust. After that turn Petal Dance ends; it lasted for its max duration which in Gen I is 4 turns. Gloom has been faster, and it avoids confusion damage to smack Phosphorus with a super-effective Acid. That leaves Demo's Pokémon at 38 HP, but no worries, Confusion will end the battle...huh? I can't understand why, but this Confusion seems to do far less damage than the first one, so that Gloom is barely into the red. It'll take one more to end the plant, but maybe only one more Acid to end the bug...I look at the numbers. Phosphorus is at a bit under half health, mostly from that one Acid, but the few turns of Petal Dance contributed some damage too. I go for it. Why I didn't switch is beyond me. The Acid rips through Phosphorus's HP...but leaves 3 left. Erika's last Pokémon, meanwhile, is Knocked Out.

"Oh! I concede defeat. You are remarkably strong. I must confer upon you the RainbowBadge."

Democritus received the Rainbow Badge!

Dang, Phosphorus. Maybe the reason you can use Psychic-type attacks to see beyond this earthly life is because you spend so much time on the brink of leaving it. But, a win is a win. In addition to her Gym Badge Erika also hands over the TM for Mega Drain. She remarks that Demo will now be capable of using Strength "both in and out of battle." Well, I don't think I was asking your permission to use it in battle, but thanks anyways.

Of course, using Strength requires obtaining the HM for Strength, which requires going to Fuchsia City, which requires moving Snorlax, which requires obtaining the Poké Flute, which requires...something or other...which requires a beatdown with a certain Team Rocket. It's no secret where they're hiding around here, either. Maybe Demo won't be able to resist one more crack at gambling after all.

Curium (Nidoqueen)
Level 29
-Growl
-Poison Sting
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

Nitrogen (Pidgeotto)
Level 30
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Fly

Phosphorus (Butterfree)
Level 29
-Flash
-Gust
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Sodium (Gyarados)
Level 29
-Dragon Rage
-Tackle
-Bite
-Water Gun

Magnesium (Ivysaur)
Level 29
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip

Silicon (Dugtrio)
Level 29
-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig
-Cut

Titanium (Geodude)
Level 10
-Tackle

Boron (Spearow)
Level 12
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

Scandium (Charmander)
Level 10
-Scratch
-Growl
-Ember

Germanium (Oddish)
Level 12
-Absorb

Fluorine (Rattata)
Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Bromine (Squirtle)
Level 10
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Bubble

Mendelevium (M.delevium, Nidoran♂)
Level 18
-Tackle
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Poison Sting

Copper (Magnemite)
Level 16
-Tackle

Iron (Zubat)
Level 21
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite
-Confuse Ray

Bismuth (Eevee)
Level 25
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack
-Growl
-Quick Attack

Carbon (Pikachu)
Level 19
-ThunderShock
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave

Last edited:

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Thst Slowpoke Diasbled that Dig because you murdered his brothers with Crits. Lol.
That Trainer was scared.
And so was Phosphorus. Poor Butterfree had its life flash before its life. Takin some big risks, there Ben. They paid off, thankfully. Just leave the gambling I Celadon ;).

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Ah, the good ol' gen 1 AI. The way that Cooltrainer persistently tried to poison Magnesium reminds me of that one iconic battle from Twitch Plays Pokemon in which a level 36 Venomoth beat Lance's level 62 Dragonite because the AI kept going for the 'super effective' Agility and Barrier.

Four badges down, four more to go! The level curve seems to take a pretty steep turn after this, so there will probably be some challenges up ahead. Best of luck against Koga and Sabrina!