AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Human settlements in the Pokémon world vary widely in their size, both in terms of population and area. This has become especially true in more recent generations where the games and the hardware have more capabilities. From the starting hometowns, which sometimes only have three or four buildings, up through small towns, average cities, bustling hubs like Saffron and Goldenrod, all the way up through giant metropolises such as Castelia and Lumiose, they've all got their own flavor. So, which kind do you most prefer?

As for me, I find that while the huuuuge cities are cool in terms of story, worldbuilding, that sort of thing, they can be a pain to explore and it's easy to miss stuff. I think the best balance comes from the larger "average" cities like Jubilife and Hau'oli.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Prefers a larger city, but not metropolis-sized. Contains a comparable number of functions to the metropolis in half the space.

Always gets lost in Lumiose. Circles around until stumbling upon the correct street. Could be more of a design flaw, though. Made it far too symmetrical. Becomes even worse with two Fly locations on opposite sides. Screws up directions like "X on the left and Y to the right".

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I enjoy the big cities because of the sheer number of things to do. It’s likely that you’ll be coming back many times for plot things or dailies, so they better be good, right? :hmmazurill:

That being said, my absolute favorites aren’t necessarily the biggest in each region, though the metropolises tend to be sorta high on the list. If I had to choose right now, my favorites per region would be Saffron, Ecruteak, Lilycove, Hearthome, Nimbasa, Anistar, and Malie.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i'm quite partial to the very large and bustling cities just like the real world! of course, every size/type of city can have its place and be super pleasant to be in, but when it comes to playing thru a video game it's much like going on a vacation for me - popping into that very centralized area, full of so many new things to do, it's just so exciting. Lumiose was awesome to me, even if the camera angles made me a bit dizzy and it took me ages to remember where everything was. that's just part of the fun.

it's weird tho, cuz my favorite city is Laverre and when I think of other favorites it's often the more quiet & peaceful ones. I think it's because I think of "favorite" as "which city would i like to live in." while visiting those giant cities is really fun, i don't know if i'd particularly enjoy living there.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I'm 100% not sure if Lumiose on its own is "too big," but the radial streets in the middle that all look the same and all somehow connect to all of the other streets are just too much. Thank god the story forced us to spend as little time as possible in them.

With that said, the fact that it's often faster to use Fly to a Pokémon Center in your current location than it is to walk there on your own two feet should probably have told someone with a say in the level design a thing or two.

Castelia is pretty big too, but I think it avoids the problem by having all of the streets in it look very different from the others (with the exception of the docks, which aren't plagued with the 3D camera problems that Lumiose occasionally was and were not horrifically big anyway).

-----------------------------

Unless you're putting actual content in a city in a video game, I don't really care how small it is. I've assumed for a pretty long time that video game cities are abstract-ish representations of locations that are much bigger than you see in the game, and that Professor Oak didn't actually set up his research lab in a hamlet with a total population that you could count on one hand. The game makers just realized that nothing else in Pallet Town, or most other places, were actually important to the player, and technical limitations mean it's a bad idea to just load on unnecessary content anyway. When I wander into Whiterun I don't think "you know, in real life this dinky little outpost wouldn't even get its own zip code," I see the dozen or so houses, temple, palace and my brain fills in the rest.

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I like cities that are on the smaller side, but have one or two unique landmark buildings that set it apart. My favorite city is RSE Mauville, as an example, because it's a small town but has a bike shop, a gym, a gamecorner, and the daycare located just a short walk west. Most of Hoenn is like this.

Another type of city I like are the port towns where ships dock into. Slateport, Viridian, Olivine, all I think are kinda the perfect size for a Pokémon city. Most of them, anyway.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I prefer huge cities and felt like the cities in every Pokemon game could stand to be a little bigger. Cities in real life are already pretty huge, and I guess I would just like that bit of realism, even if it's a little unreasonable. Something as simple as the player's mom having her own room is something I liked about SM.

I think the only real issue I would have with huge cities is that I'm the kind of person to talk to every NPC, and with so much to explore, I'd be so sidetracked that it would hurt story progression. To fix that, I think it would be a good idea to make bigger cities available in the post game when there are fewer obligations, kinda like the Battle Zone in DP. Or maybe a huge city could be available within the main story, but only a small portion, and then the rest of the city becomes available later on.