What was your first SHINY Pokemon?

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
YOUR FIRST SHINY EXPERIENCE!

Shiny Pokemon have come a long way since their humble beginnings in Generation 2. Today shiny Pokemon are more popular than ever before thanks to the popularity of shiny hunting on Twitch and YouTube. It seems like everyone is shiny hunting these days with a bunch of different methods that help us find the elusive alternate colored Pokemon easier. Even though every shiny Pokemon is special in its own way, we can all agree that there is none more special than the first shiny you ever found. So today I am asking you to share the story of your first shiny Pokemon.

1) What was your first shiny Pokemon?

2) What game did you find it in?

3) Was it a random encounter or did you hunt for it?

4) Did you manage to catch it?
- If yes, do you still have it or did you trade it or even lose it over the years?
- If no, what was the first shiny you actually caught?

!!! "Free" shiny Pokemon don't count. (e.g. Lake of Rage Gyarados, Nature Preserve Haxorus and Black Tower/White Treehollow Gible/Dratini) !!!

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
  1. Shiny Drowzee or Hypno.
  2. Gold or Crystal.
  3. Random encounter on Route 11. Did not know why it was purple. (Treated the shiny Gyarados as an exception, not a mechanic.)
  4. Caught it. Depends on the game's battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zed

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Found a shiny Timburr in Black because I forgot to put a repel on in the Pinwheel Forest. Caught it, evolved it into a Gurdurr and traded it to my friend for a Tornadus so I could do the Landorus event.

Years later I found a shiny Nidoran (don't remember which) and Golbat in hoard encounters in X while EV training, but hoard encounters don't count.

I spent a car trip once trying to reset for a shiny Suicune in HeartGold. It didn't happen.

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Just realized I never said what was my first shiny in the original post so I guess I'll do it now.

My first shiny was an Audino in my first ever playthrough of Pokemon Black 2. It was a completely random encounter while I was leveling up my Jolteon to prepare it for the battle against Skyla. I managed to catch it relatively easily and I still have it. My shiny Audino is at a level 100 now and I transferred him all the way up to my Pokemon Ultra Sun. :)

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I had a shiny Tentacool called Acooltent because Chuggaconroy. Didn't know shinies were a thing, thought it was a special event and almost didn't catch it because I was just surfing to somewhere and was annoyed by random encounters. Sadly lost the little guy because he was on a fake Emerald (careful what you buy on Ebay folks), but I got some pictures so maybe someday someone can hack the little guy in.
The first shiny I got to keep was a Magneton in a random friend safari, still have it and am pretty happy with it.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I think I had a shiny Weedle in Silver, though I'm not sure if I actually caught it. I never really knew what it was until later. All my Silver Pokemon bit the dust when the battery ran out :'-(

If I remember rightly I've got three random shinies still. The first was a Piloswine in a Gen 5 game. Second was caught on Christmas Day! A Machoke in Leaf Green; RNGesus smiled upon me that year. And most recently an Alolan Grimer caught early in my Sun playthrough, so it became part of my team :)

Never shiny hunted. If I'm gonna spend time trial-and-erroring for Pokemon I'd rather do it for stats.

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I have never encountered nor caught a shiny throughout any of the Pokemon games I have played. I don't hunt them out so I guess I'm just unlucky or something, idk. Obviously I've gotten some shinies over the years (Gyarados from Lake of Rage, shinies through trade/GTS), so it isn't like I've gone without one, lol, but I'd definitely like to catch my own through a random encounter one of these days.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
My first shiny was a Tentacool in FireRed when I was on my way to catch Articuno. I caught it and named it Carlito. Why Carlito? He spits in the face of people who don't wanna be Tentacool. I lost it when I saved over it but I have plenty of shinies now including a Tentacruel named Carly. So I am fine with it.

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
my first shiny was a doduo, in the safari zone in firered. it was the first of MANY random shinies, so i'm not gonna say my luck is bad, but wow finding my first in an area where it could flee at any moment had tinier me HYPERVENTILATING. . ....... . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ..

thankfully i caught him, and i used him on my team. was actually fun, i'd never used dodrio before and it was actually not bad!!

sadly i do not have him anymore, he + a shiny rotom i caught in Diamond were both lost when I reset my Diamond version without trading like an idiot

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
IGN
Anne
My first shiny was Weedle in Crystal. I just ran into it randomly. I caught it, but don't have it anymore.

The first shiny I caught and still have is a Numel in Sapphire. It was also a random run it. The Numel currently exists in my Heart Gold cartridge. I don't have Pokebank yet so I haven't transferred it over yet.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Not counting the Gyrados at the Lake of Rage, my first shiny was a Rattata on White 2. I still have it on my Pokémon Bank account to this day.

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
1) What was your first shiny Pokemon? This will sound surprising, but it was a shiny Raikou

2) What game did you find it in? A randomised version of Fire Red

3) Was it a random encounter or did you hunt for it?
A random one

4) Did you manage to catch it? it was before the first gym, of course I didn't catch it.

And besides the red gyarados, I have never caught a shiny pokemon :/

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
First Shiny I ever caught was a Shiny Starly on my copy of Pokémon Diamond. First Shiny on my first Pokémon game: very fitting. I had no idea what Shiny Pokémon were, so I was confused when I came across it (Mind you this was 2007-2008 and Pokémon games were a brand new world to me). I captured it anyway, naturally, and kept it tucked in my PC box. Unfortunately I no longer have it. ;-(

I’ve encountered a bunch of shinies since then. One of the happier ones I got was Shiny Venonat in the safari zone in Fire Red.

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
My first ever shiny was a shiny Totodile in Heart Gold. I did actually hunt for a shiny Johto starter because I finally wanted to get a shiny since before that, I never encountered one.

First random shiny was a shiny Whismur about 2 weeks ago while I was training for the Professor Oak Challenge in Sapphire. Caught it as well.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I'm always glad that my first shiny wasn't the Red Gyarados, everyone has their own experience and that's way more fun! I got my first shiny only a few days after learning what a Shiny Pokemon is. It was in Turnback Cave in Pearl version, I managed to find a Shiny Bronzong and was super excited! Mainly because it looked so different to the original, that green colour scheme makes it look alien.

I have almost all my Pokemon from my childhood, hell I still have my save game on Pearl from August 2007, but somewhere I lost that Bronzong. I think I might've traded it up to Black/White then restarted without trading it to something else. A moron is what I am cursed to be, so it seems.

Moonwatcher

The show's over.
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
My first Shiny was a Igglybuff from a plotline egg in Silver. Though apparently, that egg has an increased shiny chance, so I'm not sure if it counts. Either way, it got deleted along with the rest of the save many years ago. But I remember always using it for the counting minigame in Pokemon Stadium 2, just to show off :P

Other than the Igglybuff, my first regular-odds shiny would be a Shiny Ponyta in Pearl. I can't remember where I caught it, but I remember being vaugly dissapointed that when it evolved it's mane was Grey instead of Blue like before. Unlike the Igglybuff, I still have it, as I have yet to reset my copy of Pearl. I should really transfer it to the modern games sometime...

Petros

Pokémon Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
1) What was your first shiny Pokemon? If I recall correctly, it was a shiny Zubat.

2) What game did you find it in? Pokémon Ruby.

3) Was it a random encounter or did you hunt for it? It was random, I didn't even know they existed till that very moment.

4) Did you manage to catch it? Sadly, no :( I was training my team and didn't have any Poké Ball with me, so I had to kill it

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
My first shiny encounter was a random Voltorb in LG but I ran away because I didn't know what it was until I asked my brother about it and he was upset. The first one I actually caught was a random Shroomish in Emerald before the Aqua Grunt fight. It was about 6 years ago I would say. I still have it to this day, she's a Breloom now that is gold bottle capped and battle ready. (Poison Heal, toxic orb and Facade needs to be looked into)
Shortly after that I started playing Y and had a random encounter shiny shelmet which I caught but traded for Landorus so I could complete my living dex.

PyroKinesis

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Corey
1.) What was your first shiny Pokemon?
A Swinub.

2.) What game did you find it in?
Platinum.

3.) Was it a random encounter or did you hunt for it?
Completely random.

4.) Did you manage to catch it?
Yes. I was so shocked to see it, in fact, that I threw a Master Ball at it.