what you would change about pokémon

Doctor-Funn

New Trainer
I feel like adding an adaptive difficulty to make sure Pokemon trainers are always on par with the player and maybe make gym leaders and the Pokemon league more strategic to provide more challenging battles.

neoratz

i wish squids were real
AKA
Katey
Time Zone
EST
i KNOW it’s impossible with the amount of pokemon we have at this point and it would make the pokemon feel more cookie cutter but i wish pokemon could be more evenly balanced so your favorites could be viable in competitive. i’d really like to be able to use wormadam or hypno and not have to conform to tiers!

Calaf

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Honestly, it seems as if so many new mechanics have popped up in the last two generations. I'm talking about mega evolution, Alolan Forms, Ultra Beasts, Pokemon Amie etc. etc. Although some of these are really cool and I may be a bit biased for not having played the latest games, but I find it a bit hard to keep up with all of the changes to the original format.

Also, I totally agree that they buffed the wrong Pokemon with mega evolutions quite a bit. I think it would have been much more interesting if they hadn't given Pokemon like Scizor, Salamence and Blaziken, which were already very powerful in competitive, mega evolutions but had instead given it to Pokemon like, let's say, Furret, Walrein and Butterfree.

WindriderShiva

Beginner Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Hmm... what would I do.

- Buff Bug types. Make them useful. Maybe give them a bigger variety of secondary types, and better attacks all-around. More Golisopods.
- Might as well buff Dark types too. Couple more high SP attacks. Match-ups are mostly fine.
- Diversify Dragon secondaries. Please. Please do.
- Alternatively, give them another common weakness. Ice, Fairy and Dragon itself, not enough. Ghost would work.
- More Ice Pokémon.
- Another couple of physical Fairy attacks wouldn't hurt a moveset.
- Get rid of Mega evos.
- A customizable challenge mode, or a harder mode all-around. And not just level-based; change trainer kits, change the AIs. I'd love having a permadeath toggle.

Dragonite

The cake is a lie, so give it to me
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
re: mega evolutions

guess I forgot these existed when I wrote my first post because I usually have a lot to say about them. When they first came out and were all like Lucario and Charizard I made a lot of smart remarks about "lol they're really getting desperate for advertising," and since 2013 I've mostly gotten tired of that joke but it would have been really, really nice if the final sets of megas weren't all Salamence and Gengar and Rayquaza and Mewtwo things that were already OU or Uber, or if Mega Audino was good enough for anyone to remember that it existed. As a mechanic (in-game and competitively) I didn't really mind them all that much, although it would have been sorta neat if more than three or four NPCs actually used them in the games.

With that said, I also am not thrilled at all about how Game Freak apparently decided to pretend that they never existed in Gen 7. It took me three years to get used to them so you might as well fix them, make Girafarig and Tropius or something relevant for the first time in the history of ever, not disown them. >:C

Wren

Junior Trainer
Instead of just mega evolutions, I would really be happy with more regular evolutions too. In the past three gens, we've had Sylveon and a few Alolan forms, but that's it. They've given base stat buffs to pokemon who really need it like Mightyena and Ariados, but there are still a handful of pokemon who could use a regular evolution.

Maybe a similar ability to Wishiwashi's could also be given to Unown and male Combee.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
AKA
Michelle
I'd love for the Pokemon games to be much more of an adventure, bigger places to explore, lots of secrets to find, and more post-game content.

I never understoof the appeal of Z-moves, mega evolution was a much better change and Z-moves felt like a step backwards from mega-evolution.

Ultra beasts were just okay, they weren't very memorable and they look like they belong in digimon rather than pokemon.

Kaori

Junior Trainer
~> Pokemon following you again. I loved how the feature returned into Let's Go and the models are there for the other Pokemon. (Data mining of USUM) so why not use them?

~> Side-quests. I've seen a few fangames implement this and I really like the system. The rewards could be stuff like competitive items, evolution items or even TMs which are otherwise late game or battle facility exclusive.

~> Make new Pokemon the star of their region. I know a lot of people dislike Black/White because there are no old Pokemon in the main game, but I don't like how X/Y and especially SuMo/USUM make it so hard for you to find the new Pokemon. Both Kalos and Alola have small dexes so I understand implementing Pokemon from other gens, but when you Nuzlocke these games, chances are that 99% of your team will be Kanto Pokemon. I love gen I but please give some more attention to the other generations as well.

~> Difficulty setting. Another feature a lot of people have been asking for. B/W 2 gave us a challenge mode but it's a bit of a shame that you only unlock it after playing through the game once.

~> Dark type gym leader please.

~> More regional variants. I loved the idea of Alola forms because it does make sense for Pokemon to adapt to their environment. I would love to see this trend spread to other regions and expand beyond Kanto Pokemon.

~> A return to Kalos. I love this region and the overall aesthetic and am devastated that we never got to see more of it. I know we won't get a Pokemon Z by this point, but I hope that in one of the upcoming regions, we will return to Kalos as part of the postgame. (Like how you return to Kanto in G/S/C and HG/SS)

~> Last but not least...Get rid of those stupid Ultra Beasts. I could write a whole book on how much I hate these things.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I got some more!

1. Introduce a mechanic that will be a permanent addition to the series. It feels like every time Gamefreak introduces a major new feature, it gets ditched by the next generation. Imagine if they kept features like the Pokemon World Tournament or Super Training in newer games.

2. Make the game well optimized for the hardware. Gen 7 ran about as consistently as Curse did on Azurilland and it'd be a shame if the new games ran as poorly.

3. I'm with Kaori on the more new Pokemon thing. Kalos and Alola were so barren when it came to new Pokemon. Gamefreak said they weren't worried about running out of ideas for new Pokemon so I don't see how making more than 90 could be an issue.

4. Make songs longer than 90 seconds. Diamond and Pearl featured tracks that went up to 2 minutes, but ever since Black and White they've shortened them. I'm guessing they made them that length to save storage space on the cartride. Now that they're developing games for the Switch (a system that store up to 32 gigabytes in a cartridge), they can make tracks as long as they like.

5. Add Pro Controller support. The Pro Controller is the most comfortable controller on the Switch and it was really odd when Let's Go didn't include it as an option. If touch screen based rhythm games can use the Pro Controller, I don't see why Pokemon can't.

6. Ditch Mega Evolutions and Z Moves. While these features were cool at first, their novelty wore off quickly. Megas made power creep worse and Z Moves made battles too unpredictable. I hope Gamefreak can come up with a new battle mechanic that can change things up without effecting balance.

Coldnx

Ice-Type Enthusiast and Jynx's 1# Fan
AKA
Icey
My biggest wish is the same one I've had for years: Fix the Ice-type's defensive problems by adding more resistances and to have Steel-types counter Electric instead of Ice. They did buff Hail-Teams so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it, but there's much more to be done.

Bonus 1) Buff Dewgong: Dewgong's been around since Gen-1 and always been bad. Its competition (Lapras, Walrein, and Cloyster) have always been better to use, even though its competition hasn't been too groundbreaking themselves either. You'd think considering how old Dewgong is they would've noticed by now just how bad it's struggling, even in Gen-1 when Ice was in a good spot, with only 5 Ice-types it's never seen any spotlight.

Bonus 2) More Mega Evolutions: I've never liked them to be honest, but it's clear they won't be going away any time soon. If GameFreak is keeping Mega Evolutions, at least create more Pokemon that can mega evolve. Mega evolution shouldn't just be used to prioritize fan-favorites like Gengar, it should be given to struggling Pokemon that have been left in the cold and forgotten. (*Cough Dewgong *Cough)

Last edited:
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Another one:

Enough relying on services like Pokémon Global to provide games with something basic like berries or an extended dex.

I'm playing through White 2 and I realized that I won't run into berries much because hey, Pokémon Global got shut down. And now I can't grow berries. It was a great idea to turn berries into useful stuff for a service, but that was the only way to get a flow. Though I think they learned about it, because Gen VI and VII don't have a similar thing.

Enable backtrading between generations of Pokémon games. I get that it takes another architecture to keep a Pokémon intact - like abilities a Pokémon might not have in an earlier generation. Implementing a feature like swallows up time, that's a fair point. And making sure the backtrading works is another (ie. that it doesn't crash/brick a save file because the data carried over badly and now a Pokémon has an ability that didn't even exist). But... IMO? That'd be doable.

AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Not entirely: Poké Transporter requires Pokémon Bank which requires not only an Internet connection but the Bank servers to exist indefinitely.
True. I half-forgot about that. It's at the very least cross-generation so far, so I'm... hoping it remains this way. I'm not really expecting them to keep service for Gen VI and VII indefinitely, but hopefully that'll carry on between two sets of generations.

Stop using Ash as a protagonist. We get it, he's Ash, he and Pikachu are the Pokémon mascots at this point. But using them over and over just stopped making sense. ._.

Also, I agree with Dragonite. Not all the Pokémon that have been assigned the dragon typing deserve it.

Also, stop using gimmicky Eevee Z-move in competitive.

Lastly, it annoyed me when instead of designing more Pokemon that were Fairy they just added the Fairy typing to a bunch of Normal Pokemon.